QC Checks: / /
Overview

########
  • High Base 130 attack
  • Great physical ability in Hyper Cutter
  • Access to Swords Dance
  • Great utility with Knock Off
  • Can check most Grass types on the switch, and with Sticky Web Support
  • Forced to rely on team members to reach maximum potential.
  • Completely crippled by most status
  • Sub-Par HP and Sp. Defense make strong Special attacks dangerous
  • Lack of options in its Movepool make it predictable.
Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Crabhammer
move 2: Knock off
move 3: Superpower
move 4: X-scissor/Rock Slide
ability: Hyper Cutter
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========
  • Crabhammer ifor physical STAB
  • Knock Off to catch checks/counters switching in and remove their item making them less of a threat.
  • Superpower for nice coverage on Water types, and hits Steel and Dark types harder than Crabhammer
  • X-Scissor to hurt Grass types with on the switch and for Psychic types, as well as a 100% accurate alternative with no drawback to hit weakened foes with.

Set Details
========
  • Adamant Nature with a Choice Band and Max EVs in Attack and Speed maximize offensive output and apply immediate pressure.
Usage Tips
========
  • Best used as a Lead to force in troublesome Pokemon for it and remove their items through Knock Off, and also a good go to move if they have multiple Pokemon that can switch in to a Banded attack.
  • Works well with hazard removal/setting support, as well as cleric support to keep it from becoming fodder mid-game.
  • Avoid continually switching into hazards if possible.
  • It should be noted that the Choice Band set has much more power than any other physical water type by virtue of it's Base 130 attack stat alone, and can apply pressure instantly as opposed to the Swords Dance set. It should be used on teams that are orientated for faster play, or ones in need of a Wallbreaker for best results.

Team Options
========
  • Tanky Grass Pokemon like Ferroseed and Gourgeist whom can shrug off its weaknesses
  • Pokemon like Gogoat and Electivire, whom can utilize Kingler's weakness to get a boost and continue applying pressure to the opposing team, and Lampent, who can absorb WoWs for it.
  • Lanturn with Volt Absorb to provide consistent Cleric support.

King Krab
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Knock Off/Substitute
move 3: Crab Hammer
move 4: Substitute/X-Scissor
ability: Hyper Cutter
item: Lum Berry
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Swords Dance lets you rise past Choice Band’s boost, albeit at the cost of setup.
  • Knock Off can be used for utility, as well as catch threats switching in.
  • Substitute can be used to add even more flexibility to the set at the cost of coverage and/or item removal, but can help Kingler retain its boosts easier and not worry about status as much from bulky and slower status users. It's important to make Kingler run X-Scissor if you want to stay in vs. certain grass types like Leafeon and VilePlume, or Knock Of if you need the utility for threats that otherwise wall your team, as well as if you want a way to hit Ghost and Psychic types harder than X-Scissor without much worry.
  • Crabhammer for STAB
  • X-Scissor for Coverage on Grass, Dark and Psychic types and Superpower for Steel and Water types, as well as Pokemon who aren't threatened by Crabhammer, like Cradily.
Set Details
========
  • EV’s to maximize offensive presence.
  • Lum Berry to save Kingler from a crippling status once and allow for setup ease.
Usage Tips
========
  • Works much better after Sticky Web has been setup on the enemy side, as it helps to outspeed most of its checks.
  • Also used well with Wish support, especially if using Substitute, to keep it healthy.
  • Best used when faster Flying types and Levitate users are out of the way.
Team Options
========
  • Levanny for the most reliable Sticky Web Support.
  • Ferroseed and Gourgeist to take super effective moves and status its checks.
  • Gogoat and Electivire to apply pressure with their abilities.
  • Lanturn with Volt Absorb to provide consistent Cleric support.
  • Audinno for alternate Cleric with Wish and Heal Bell.
  • Meowstic-M to set up Screens or Safeguard to increase longegvity and ease setup.

Other Options
########
  • Can go fully Special to surprise its normal checks.
  • Can run Agility over Swords Dance to be a late game cleaner.
  • Superpower can be used to really hurt Avalugg, as well as give you 50/50 chance to OHKO Feraligatr.
Checks & Counters
########
  • Any faster Grass or Electric type
  • Bulky Grass types like Vileplume, Cradily and Gourgeist
  • Most strong Special Attackers who are faster, such as Mesprit
  • Faster special attackers unaffected by Sticky Web
  • Status users in general, especially users of Will-o-Wisp and T-wave.
  • Pokemon who can abuse the Choice Banded set to their advantage, and fast taunt users for the Swords Dance set.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, you need to put everything in bullet points until you get 3 QC checks. It makes it easier or the QC team (and everyone else) to sort through your points. Also, you probably should at least slash Substitute on the SD set as stated in the previous Kingler WIP thread.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For Substitute, I was thinking more of it being slashed after X-Scissor with Superpower maybe being mentioned in Moves. Knock Off is far more important as it provides decent 2 move coverage as well as utility. I'm not sure what Superpower hits that Crabhammer, Knock Off, and X-Scissor together do not but someone correct me if I'm wrong. For the Choice Band Set Details, you should emphasize the fact that Kingler has greater power than the other physical Water-types and the CB set takes advantage of that.

If you only use Knock Off + Crab Hammer, you will generally be forced out by a lot of Grass types, even at +2, and almost all of them with no SW support. With X-scissor, that problem still exists but to much less of an extent, as if you opt for a substitute on their switch to a grass type like Leafeon or Gogoat, you can hit them pretty hard with an X-scissor from behind the sub, then switch out. Kingler can opt for Knock Off instead due to the utility of the move, but it loses out on being able to snipe Grass types as soon as the come in. Could I slash it for both moves and explain why?
I do agree I should but more emphasis on the CB set. I figured showing how the immediate pressure that it applies makes it differ for faster offensive teams was a great boon over the SD set was enough, but I will add that in to :)
I guess Superpower should be listed in moves. I was using it and felt that the extra power it has over X-scissor against Pokemon like Feraligater and Avalugg made it very useful:
252+ Atk Choice Band Kingler Superpower vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 113-134 (67.6 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
as opposed to
252+ Atk Choice Band Kingler X-Scissor vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 76-90 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- 44.9% chance to 2HKO

Or this:
252+ Atk Choice Band Kingler Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 106-126 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
as opposed to
252+ Atk Choice Band Kingler X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 35-42 (17.4 - 20.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

I guess this can be considered a bit niche though?

Also: Edited the above with the the ideas you had.

Here is a good battle with SD Kingler: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-158373519
And two with CB Kingler: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-158352369
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-158349564

BoostFire is me.

Ready for QC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)