XY OU King's Court: Reborn

If I should make another team, what should it be themed after?

• No, you suck at team building

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Famous Swordsman

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocolyse

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Big City

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post down in comments AND vote for this

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Once upon a time there was a man. This man wanted to rule OU with both a steely fist and a warm hand. That man was me. He built a team that had a chessboard style and theme to mimic the strategy needed to win both in pokemon and in chess. This team did well. So well it made it to 1400+ ladder, and it could have gone higher. One day however, Aegislash, the king of the team and the ruler of my heart, was banned from OU. This devasted the man. He wanted nothing else but his King's Court reunited. He decided to rebuild this team out of the dregs of OU and to heights of UU. This team is what is inscribed on this forum thread (Pawn to King)

The Pawn- Landorus-Therian

Pawn (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

(Thanks to Rafael J. Feliciano for the suggestion)

In a game of chess, one of the basic pieces (and most vital) is the pawn. The pawn dishes out as much damage as possible before it gets taken by the opponent. This Landorus's only purpose is to set up hazards and take out as much as possible before the game starts. One main difference, however, is that you can pull the Landorus Out with a U-turn, unlike an actual pawn. Knock-off is to get rid of pesky leftovers and items that just cause issues. EQ and Stealth Rock are pretty self explanatory.

The Rook-Chansey, The Face of Evil

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Wish

(Thanks to Rafael J. Feliciano for the suggestion)

The Castle. The impenetrable wall of death that armies spend days thinking on how to get over or through it. Chansey is an all around great wall, easily surpassing blissey with the eviolite. Just plant a toxic and watch the opponent slowly melt away. Use Protect if they try to attack you and seismic toss to clean up quick messes. Wish is for coverage on the bulkier guys on this team.

The Bishop- Gardevoir

Bishop (Gardevoir) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

(Thanks to Kableye for the set)

The Bishop is the tricky piece. The wildcard. From it's position, it might seem seem harmless at first, sitting at the edge of the board. Then it happens. You left a gap in your defenses. Seizing the opportunity, The Bishop rushes toward the opening. This Gardevoir is there only to clean up stupid mistakes. Bring down Azumarill with that thunderbolt, having a fairy type is always nice, and laugh as the opponent's blood rushes from their face when you OHKO their Gengar they've been sweeping with.

The Knight- Gliscor

Knight (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

The knight is arguably one of the most vital pieces on the board. With it's strange movement pattern and the ability to jump pieces, easily able to corner other pieces. This Gliscor has the bulk to quickly set up a swords dance on most pokemon, then just keep hitting buttons all day, err' day. It's a pretty standard set for Gliscor.

The Queen- Goodra, The Destroyer of Worlds

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Power Whip
- Aqua Tail

Goodra. One of the most underrated pokemon in the game. The queen is one of the most powerful pieces in the chess board, and thus this goodra shall wreck all the opponents' team. Watch them crumble, OHKOing most pokemon, and 2HKOing bosses like Mega T-tar. You heard me right. Just a standard coverage set for goodra, destroying a wide range of pokemon (except for those annoying fairies, who gave them the right to...)

THE KING-Mega-Aggron, The Destroyer of Physical Attackers

King (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Heavy Metal
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

(Thanks to Kableye for the set)

The King. You lose the king, you lose the game. Never do a risky move with the king on the chessboard, because it could make the difference between victory and defeat. Unless you're M-Aggron! This Beast is the reason you can't touch this team. Most of the other pokemon are to take out Special Attackers, while Mega Aggron is just a menace on special attackers. If you're down to you're last few pokemon and don't have any Specials left while Mega-Aggron is in play, you know you just lost.

Alternatives:
  • Gardevoir can be replaced with Alakazam with Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Psyshock, and HP Fire.
  • On Gliscor, you can replace Swords dance with fling
  • Landorus can be replaced with a Standard Smeargle

Pawn (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Bishop (Gardevoir) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Knight (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Soft-Boiled

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Power Whip
- Aqua Tail

King (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Heavy Metal
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Last edited:
I love this team, but Ill have to make a few recommendations:
1. Gardevoir (Because she's the best).
Max HP Gardevoir is meh, especially when with that your using it for to check Azumarill. Azumarill still 1-2HKO's depending on if its Choice Banded or not. Gardevoir can check threats better with a set like this:
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
She'll also be about to fill your teams lack of a fast Pokemon.
2. Aggron with Metal Burst is meh as well since Aggron really is supposed to not take that much damage being a physical wall. I'd recommend changing it to something like Thunder Wave or Toxic to support your team. Also use Ice Punch over Fire Punch since it over all has better coverage.
Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Very interesting team you have here man. Points for the ingenuity.

However, some of your chess pieces are not placed in the optimal positions of the board needed in order to induce a checkmate on your opponent.

So here are my suggestions.

1. Aggron: In all honesty; if you are gonna use Mega Aggron he's meant to be a giant sponge that lays hazards and induces status. Just like King, he can enforce his presence by simply being ever present on the board. With that being said I would go with the following set:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy -> Filter
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Simple, imposing and truly annoying to anything that can't take this behemoth down in two hits. Iron Head for Clefable, Rock Slide for Talonflame with T-Wave to cripple everything else, which also, directly addresses your lack of speed overall. Stealth Rock is self explanatory.

2. Landorus-T: I would change the EV Spread to 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe and with a Naughty Nature give him a Choice Scarf > Life Orb. With U-Turn, you have an excellent pivot while being able to pound faster but more fragile mons with EQ like Greninja and Mega Manectric. I went with a Naughty Nature so that we can give Landorus-T HP Ice since you no longer need Stealth Rock on him. This acts as an excellent lure for opposing Landorus and Gliscor as well.

3. Chansey: Replace Protect < Aromatherapy and Softboiled < Wish. Eviolite Chansey is bulky enough to sponge any hit and with bulky partners like Aggron and Goodra (love this set by the way) would greatly appreciated not only status removal, but the MASSIVE Wish passes Chansey would have to offer.

4. Gardevoir and Gliscor: They both need to go. Here are my suggestions for consideration:

Latios @ Life Orb
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IV: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EV: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake

Latios provides Hazard Removal, Psychic is to hit Physically Defensive Mega Venusaur, DM is your nuke and Thunderbolt is meant to hit Azumarill. Pretty straight-forward Special Attack Latios.

Quagsire's Unaware render BellyJet Azu, Dragon Dancers and Sword Dancers mute. Scald is one of the best attacking moves that induces burns to cripple physical attackers while Toxic and Recover combine to stall physical animals that can't be burned like Mega CharX.

These are suggestions that would prolly benefit your team. Let me know what you think.

I love this team, but Ill have to make a few recommendations:
1. Gardevoir (Because she's the best).
Max HP Gardevoir is meh, especially when with that your using it for to check Azumarill. Azumarill still 1-2HKO's depending on if its Choice Banded or not. Gardevoir can check threats better with a set like this:
Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
She'll also be about to fill your teams lack of a fast Pokemon.
2. Aggron with Metal Burst is meh as well since Aggron really is supposed to not take that much damage being a physical wall. I'd recommend changing it to something like Thunder Wave or Toxic to support your team. Also use Ice Punch over Fire Punch since it over all has better coverage.
Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
Interesting. I'll go test it and see if these are indeed better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: It was

Last edited:
Very interesting team you have here man. Points for the ingenuity.

However, some of your chess pieces are not placed in the optimal positions of the board needed in order to induce a checkmate on your opponent.

So here are my suggestions.

1. Aggron: In all honesty; if you are gonna use Mega Aggron he's meant to be a giant sponge that lays hazards and induces status. Just like King, he can enforce his presence by simply being ever present on the board. With that being said I would go with the following set:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy -> Filter
Relaxed Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide

Simple, imposing and truly annoying to anything that can't take this behemoth down in two hits. Iron Head for Clefable, Rock Slide for Talonflame with T-Wave to cripple everything else, which also, directly addresses your lack of speed overall. Stealth Rock is self explanatory.

2. Landorus-T: I would change the EV Spread to 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe and with a Naughty Nature give him a Choice Scarf > Life Orb. With U-Turn, you have an excellent pivot while being able to pound faster but more fragile mons with EQ like Greninja and Mega Manectric. I went with a Naughty Nature so that we can give Landorus-T HP Ice since you no longer need Stealth Rock on him. This acts as an excellent lure for opposing Landorus and Gliscor as well.

3. Chansey: Replace Protect < Aromatherapy and Softboiled < Wish. Eviolite Chansey is bulky enough to sponge any hit and with bulky partners like Aggron and Goodra (love this set by the way) would greatly appreciated not only status removal, but the MASSIVE Wish passes Chansey would have to offer.

4. Gardevoir and Gliscor: They both need to go. Here are my suggestions for consideration:

Latios @ Life Orb
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake

Latios provides Hazard Removal, Psychic is to hit Physically Defensive Mega Venusaur, DM is your nuke and Thunderbolt is meant to hit Azumarill. Pretty straight-forward Special Attack Latios.

Quagsire's Unaware render BellyJet Azu, Dragon Dancers and Sword Dancers mute. Scald is one of the best attacking moves that induces burns to cripple physical attackers while Toxic and Recover combine to stall physical animals that can't be burned like Mega CharX.

These are suggestions that would prolly benefit your team. Let me know what you think.
These suggestions are great! I realize that gliscor is a liability and I would like to replace him, but just not with quagsire, no offense. I will use most of these, however.

These suggestions are great! I realize that gliscor is a liability and I would like to replace him, but just not with quagsire, no offense. I will use most of these, however.
If you are looking for something more offensively inclined... allow me to recommend the following:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind

More offensively inclined mon, since after +2 SpA & SpD, Scald does a helluva lot of damage and also makes CroCune all the more bulkier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)