1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Klang (GP 3/3)

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by Molk, May 26, 2012.

1. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Leader

[​IMG]

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Klang doesn't look like much. Although it possesses a Steel typing laden with resistances and decent stats, it has one of the smallest movepools out of all Pokemon that learn TMs. Some may even wonder why anyone would use this pile of junk. The reason lies in its two signature moves: Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is truly a blessing to Klang, raising its decent Attack stat to usable levels while boosting its Speed through the roof. Gear Grind complements Shift Gear perfectly ; although it only has 50 Base Power, it hits twice, making Klang one of the best checks to Substitute users in the tier. Using its excellent typing to set up on common threats such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Cincinno, and Swellow, Klang can easily set up several Shift Gears over the course of the match. Even with these two great moves at its disposal, Klang still has its flaws. Klang lacks other coverage moves to work with, meaning it can easily be walled early-game. Additionally, while 80 Attack might be usable, it just isn't enough to KO bulkier threats without multiple boosts. Needless to say, Klang is unique and is one of the most effective late-game sweepers in NU; it's is not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
    name: Shift Gear
    move 1: Shift Gear
    move 2: Gear Grind
    move 3: Return
    move 4: Substitute
    item: Eviolite
    ability: Clear Body
    nature: Adamant
    evs: 80 HP / 248 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By utilizing a combination of its excellent Steel typing, good defenses further bolstered by Eviolite, and Substitute, Klang can set up on a multitude of top threats in the NU tier such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Alomomola, Swellow, and Cincinno. Shift Gear is the crux of this set, boosting Klang's modest Attack stat to impressive levels and its middling speed to the point where it can outrun speedy threats such as Swoobat and Cincinno. Gear Grind is Klang's sole physical STAB move, which is fortunate given that it effectively has 100 Base Power and breaks through Substitute. Return is Klang's main coverage move, hitting every relevant threat except for Frillish, Lampent, and opposing Klang for at least neutral damage. Return also allows Klang to get past the common Zebstrika and Rotom-S much more easily. Substitute is another very important move on Klang ; with its bulk and impressive set of resistances, Klang can easily throw up a Substitute on the majority of the metagame and proceed to set up a Shift Gear or two before the opponent can hope to get past it. Substitute also allows Klang to avoid pesky status problems such as burn, paralysis, or sleep From the likes of Amoonguss, Misdreavus, and Butterfree.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs on this set make sure that Klang hits as hard as possible and outspeeds Jolly Cincinno after a Shift Gear. The other EVs are poured into HP to make Klang as bulky as possible, and also allow Klang to make 4 Substitutes. If a bulkier EV spread is preferred, an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is perfectly acceptable to outrun uninvested Tangela and set up an unbreakable Substitute against it. Wild Charge is a viable option over Substitute on Klang to hit a few Pokemon harder, especially Carracosta, Frillish, and Samurott, but keep in mind that while using Wild Charge, you will have to deal with the recoil that comes along with it; combined with loss of HP from Substitute, Wild Charge's recoil is undesirable on a Pokemon with such low HP. Although Klang may set up and sweep pretty easily, its Attack stat isn't as impressive as other sweepers such as Absol or Zangoose, meaning entry hazards are a good idea to help ease Klang's sweep. Garbodor is an excellent Spikes user, and also takes Fighting-type attacks for Klang. Cacturne is a more offensive choice, but be aware that using both Cacturne and Klang on the same team creates a serious overlap of weaknesses.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Volt Switch is the most notable move out of Klang's other options thanks to its abysmal movepool, and it works well with Klang's low Speed stat and Steel typing to bring a teammate in safely; however, it runs on Klang's paltry Special Attack and forces a removal of any boosts from Shift Gear that Klang may have accrued. Klang could also run a defensive set with moves such as Toxic or Discharge, but keep in mind that Klang has no method of recovery. Eviolite is the main and by far the best option for Klang, but Klang can feasibly run Leftovers, Life Orb, or even a Chesto Berry.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Klang has the luxury of setting up on the majority of the tier, there are quite a few ways to stop it in its tracks. Bulky Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Emboar, and Throh are excellent answers to Klang, all able to take several Gear Grinds and strike back with powerful, super effective Fighting-type moves. Torterra can take several boosted Gear Grinds and toss a powerful STAB Earthquake Klang's way in return. Eelektross is also an excellent check to Klang, resisting Gear Grind and KOing with Flamethrower. Stunfisk hard walls Klang, and KOes it with Earth Power. Samurott can come in on Klang and either set up a Swords Dance or force it out with Hydro Pump. Lampent and Frillish also grind Klang's gears due to their resistance to Gear Grind and immunity to Return. Seadra also stops Klang with its excellent physical bulk and capability of burning the machine with Scald. Outside of walling Klang, Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf such as Sawk and Zebstrika are also good checks as long as Klang hasn't set up more than one Shift Gear.</p>
  2. Raseri

Raseri musharna fan
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Leader

I can definitely attest to Klang's usefulness(I told molk about it), its not the best sweeper in the tier but it can turn so many pokemon into setup fodder(Cryogonal, Tangela, Miltank, non taunt Misdreavus, Haunter, some Probopass, Leafeon, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Ninjask, Garbodor, Wartortle, Drifblim, non fire blast weezing, Alomomola etc...) and hits hard enough after a boost to plow through a slightly weakened team.

Klang can dominate any team without a Quagsire, and because of his niche typing can tank a hit from pokemon like Swellow if needed and KO them with ease. If I was QC i'd approve it since I've played with it a lot but I'm not :(

Also a better ev spread: 32 HP / 252 Attack / 224 Speed
    If i did this right it hits 384 speed, just enough for swellow
  3. bluemon

bluemon

definitely mention hidden power grass somewhere.

its ability to lure quaggy and kill it is invaluable for its teammates. base 70 sp.attack isnt oh-so horrible.
  4. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

The checks and counters section needs a lot more beef. The following Pokemon should be added:

• Seadra
    • Gurdurr
    • Torterra
    • Samurott
    • Zebstrika
    • Lampent
    • Pretty much everything that resists Gear Grind and can do significant damage back

Mention in the Overview that Klang can set-up quite easily, and is a big reason in why you're using it.

Where you mention that Klang can set-up late-game, mention that it's too weak to try to sweep early-game but can set-up easily, which is why it's only good as a late-game sweeper. Mention somewhere that if Klang can get 2 Shift Gear's up, and the opposing team is significantly weakened, there's a good chance that the game is over.

Also, remove the special set from OO. If anything, just add HP Grass in OO because it's nice for the prominent Quagsire. You really should be using Klang with Pokemon that beats/weakens its checks, though. Thunder Wave might be cute too I guess.
  5. erisia

erisia (macho) brace yourselves
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Klang should have Plus as its ability, it's going to be pretty optimistic if it's trying to work in NU. :p

But in all seriousness, I think this could work. Shift Gear is obviously pretty good, and Klang has a good niche as one of the only viable pure Steel types. Its attacking stats are serviceable and it still has great bulk with Eviolite. So long as you make sure to note that Shift Gear is the only thing that Klang can do, I don't have a problem with this going on site.
  6. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Leader

thanks for bumping up the counter list DTC, i forgot to add those in my haste lol.

i will mention everything in the writeup, thanks!

i never thought of hp grass, thanks for pointing that out

ready for more

@erisia, klang is angry that nobody used it until now, thats why it has minus :P
  7. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Okay, this looks good.

QC Approve 1/3
  8. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

i was actually wondering two things about klang that i would like QC to look at

1) even though eviolite is useful on klang to boost its already good defenses and set up, maybe klang could function with something like a LO or a lum berry/chestoberry (for chestorest ofc) the drop in bulk is significant but because klang isnt really frail in the first place it could be worth a shot

2) maybe a bulky shift gear set with an ev spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 spe adamant would be viable? being able to set up a sub on tangela and have it take 3 hits to break it could be useful, klang becomes even more durable with a bulky spread, and it can set up on a wider variety of things, in exchange for a lot of its speed though, which is my main issue with the idea.
  9. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown in other words...
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

I think you should drop the speed a bit more (outspeeding swellow at +2 isn't that necessary), and considering it lacks leftovers it needs to get as much bulk as possible. Just my two cents.

EDIT: the spread on the above post looks fine imo
  10. Zebraiken

Zebraiken seize the day
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnus

1) No. Unless you have significant reason to do so (calcs), keep that for AC/OO, imo.
    2) Yes, use that spread. Why are we trying to outspeed Swellow when it loses 100% of the time to Klang anyway and is set-up bait? Using a slightly faster spread (164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe) allows it to outrun Jolly Sawsbuck at +2 and doesn't impact its ability to set up on Tangela (Giga Drain does 24.5% after two turns, max). At +4, you don't even have to worry about being revenge killed since you outspeed every common booster/Scarf user in NU (even Chlorophyll Sawsbuck in sun). When you mention Tangela as set-up bait, make sure to mention that Tangela does break Subs with a super effective HP (Fire? Ground?) but Tangela running such useless coverage can be used to your advantage.

From top down: It doesn't completely screw over jaskpass teams since they do have the ability to do stuff like pass to Gorebyss and stack up on Iron Defenses and then just boost all over Klang since it really can't do anything in return at that point. It beats Ninjask one-on-one, yeah, but outside of dominating Ninjask I wouldn't say that Klang single-handedly beats BP. Mention in the overview that it's really best as a late-game sweeper, since it doesn't have the reliable recovery that it wants to come back in and set up whenever it wants. It can certainly sweep if the stage is set properly, but Klang can't just go LOL BOOST WIN GAME all the time, especially against well-built teams.

Klang cannot reliably set up against Cryogonal all the time, since the offensive variant's HP Ground will break the Sub. Klang beats it, obviously, but mention that HP Ground WILL take a chunk out of Klang and that could be the difference between a Klang sweep and a loss. Don't mention LO in AC, mention Leftovers. Why would I use Sub + LO on a Pokemon that has no recovery and struggles to set up -that- much more without Eviolite? Tangela still fails to break the Sub with Giga Drain when Klang is using Leftovers, as does Amoonguss and Vileplume. On the other hand, though, it's no longer a reliable switch-in to Swellow + Cryogonal, since they 2HKO with Facade and HP Ground, respectively. (Defensive Cryogonal still fails to break its Sub, however.) Removing Eviolite really isn't in its best interests, but if you want longevity against weaker attackers you can go with Leftovers. LO should not be mentioned at all, and ChestoRest can probably be given a small mention but it weakens how well you do against the bulky Grass-types since they can Spore/Sleep Powder your Chesto away and Leech Seed you.

Remove the ability mention on the set. If it doesn't matter, don't mention it at all. Mention Hidden Power and Volt Switch in OO only, not AC; you should NOT be using either move on that set, and they're really OO material. Leave the AC for partners, since Klang can use quite a few effectively. ...don't mention Hyper Beam in OO, please.

Remove Rotom-S from C&C. Thunderbolt will break Klang's Sub as it boosts once, it'll do 33-40% as it boosts again, and then Klang has a 50% chance to KO Rotom-S after SR damage with a +2 Return. It's really just a last resort sort of thing since Klang wins 50% of the time if Rotom-S hasn't taken any damage outside of switching in on SR, and basically the entire time if Rotom-S took any damage outside of that at all. Do mention Roar, as it's really detrimental to Klang since it has no recovery, relies on Substitute to get set-up turns and is weak to Spikes. The best Roar users would be Lairon and Bastiodon and the like, since they take neutral damage from Gear Grind and just Roar it out. Camerupt gets a nod too, although it won't like taking multiple +1 Returns.

You need an Unreleased section that mentions how Clear Body is infinitely superior to its other abilities.

Make those changes and this is a QC APPROVED (2/3) from me.

i go hard
  11. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

okay, ill mention all of that in the writeup, added unreleased section, and changed ev spread. Thanks for all the help zeb :)

after some more testing klang seems pretty damn good as a late game sweeper, vs certain teams it CAN go "LOL BOOST WIN GAME" haha, but it still is checked by things like mag
  12. Steamroll

Steamroll resident zombie
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

QC Approve 3/3
  13. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

okay ill get to writing this soon
  14. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

this is written
  15. Yonko7

Yonko7 Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Nooby editing :3

If more experienced GP'ers contradict what I wrote, then I'd follow what they say :P

Add

Remove

Comment

Show Hide

[Overview]

<p> At first glance, Klang doesn't look like much, good Steel typing, decent stats, and one of the smallest movepools out of all Pokemon that learn tms TMs I'm not sure if TM is upper-cased or lower cased, but I believe it is upper cased. You may wonder, why would i I use this pile of junk? The answer lies in its two signature moves, Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is truely a blessing to Klang, raising its decent attack stat to usable levels, while boosting its speed through the roof. Gear Grind has 50 base power, and that I feel like 'and' doesn't fit in right, and 'that' should be used instead hits twice, meaning that Klang is one of the best Substitute breakers in the tier. Using its excellent typing to set up on common threats such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Cincinno, and Swellow, Klang can easily set up several Shift Gears over the course of the match. Even with these two great moves at its disposal, Klang still has its flaws. Klang has literally no coverage moves to work with, meaning it can easily be walled early-game, and while 80 Attack may be usable, it just isn't enough to KO bulkier threats without multiple boosts. Needless to say, Klang is most likely one of the most unique, and effective late game sweepers in NU, and is not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
    evs: 76 HpP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This is Klang's bread and butter set, by utilizing a combination of its excellent Steel typing, good defenses further bolstered by Eviolite, and Substitute, ; Klang can set up on a myraid of top threats in the NU tier such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Alomomola, Swellow, and Cincinno. Shift Gear is the crux of this set, boosting Klang's modest Attack stat to imposing levels, while also boosting its middling speed to the point where it can outrun speedy threats such as Swoobat and Cincinno. Gear Grind is Klang's most powerful STAB attack, it has 50 base power, and hits the opponent twice, giving it the effective base power of Meteor Mash, while also having the bonus of breaking Substitutes so things Pokemon like Ninjask can't rack up boosts on Klang. Return is Klang's main coverage move, hitting everything but Frillish, Lampent, and Oopposing it looks like lower upper case 'O' Klang for at least Neutral damage. Return also allows Klang to get past the common Zebstrika and Rotom-S much more easily. Substitute is very important on Klang, . With its bulk and impressive set of resistances, Klang can easily throw up a Substitute on the majority of the metagame and proceed to set up a Shift Gear or two before the opponent can hope to get past it. Substitute also allows Klang to avoid pesky status problems such as burn, paralysis, or sleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The given EvVs on this set make sure that Klang hits as hard as possible, while also being able to outspeed Jolly Cincinno after a Shift Gear, the rest is poured into hp HP to make Klang's Substitutes as bulky as possible. If you feel like going for a slightly bulkier setup with your Klang, an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is perfectly acceptable to outrun uninvested Tangela and set up an unbreakable Substitute against it. Wild Charge is a viable option over Substitute on Klang to hit Carracosta and Samurott harder, among other things, but keep in mind that while using Wild Charge you will have to deal with the recoil that comes along with it, which is undesirable on a Pokemon with low HP like Klang. Although Klang may set up and sweep pretty easily, its Attack stat isn't as impressive as other sweepers out there such as Absol or Zangoose, meaning entry hazards are a good idea to help ease Klang's sweep. Garbodor is an excellent spikes setter, and it takes Fighting-type attacks for Klang as well, . Add a period Cacturne is a more offensive choice, but be wary that Cacturne and Klang share two weaknesses, meaning you will need another teammate to cover these attacks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to Klang's abysmal movepool, it has very few other options, the most notable of what Klang does have is Volt Switch, with Klang's low Speed Stat and Steel Typing, Klang can utilize a slow Volt Switch to safely get its teammates into battle. The issue with Volt Switch, though I think it sounds pretty good without 'though' is that it conflicts with Shift Gear, as switching removes all boosts Klang may have had. Klang could also run a Defensive set which moves such as Toxic or Discharge, but keep in mind that Klang has no method of recovery, greatly reducing the effectiveness of such a set. While Eviolite is the main and by far the best option for Klang, Klang can feasibly run Leftovers, Life Orb, or even a Chesto Berry! Lastly, Hyper Beam is the strongest special move Klang gets, but has a nasty recharge turn and therefore shouldn't be used.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> While Klang has the luxury of setting up on the majority of the tier, there are quite a few ways to stop the pile of gears in its tracks. Bulky Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Emboar, and Throh are excellent answers to Klang, being able to take several Gear Grinds and striking back with powerful, super-effective Fighting moves. Torterra can take several boosted Gear Grinds and strike back with a powerful, STAB boosted Earthquake. Eelektross is also an excellent check to Klang, resisting Gear Grind and being able to Flamethrower back for the KO. Stunfisk is also capable of hard walling klang, and KOing the poor gearset with Earth Power. Samurott can come in on Klang and either set up a Swords Dance, or simply Hydro Pump and force it out. Lampent and Frillish also hard wall klang, resisting Gear Grind and being Iimmune to Return. Seadra also hard walls klang with its excellent typing I think you thought too fast for your fingers, and might've forgot what to put. But I think you meant to put 'typing'? and is capable of burning the machine with Scald. Outside of walling Klang, Scarfed Pokemon such as Sawk and Zebstrika are also good counters as long as Klang hasn't set up more than one Shift Gear</p>

16. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

I worked over Yonko's check and used the same colors.

17. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

may i get some GP checks on this? Or can someone stamp either yonko's or breh's check. I would really like to get this done, ive PROcastinated long enough (emphasis on pro).

post 1500 get
  18. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Stamping breh's check
    [gp]1/2[/gp]
  19. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

done, ready for the next GP check

i didnt remove the hyper beam part but if the rest of GP thing i should i will be happy to remove it. ;/-;
  20. Electrolyte

Electrolyte I'll be your light, your match, your burning sun
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Reserving for next Am GP check, working off of breh
    (REMOVE)
    ADD
    MY COMMENTS
    Show Hide

[Overview]

<p> At first glance, Klang doesn't look like much. Although it possesses a Steel typing laden with resistances and decent stats, it has one of the smallest movepools out of all Pokemon that learn TMs. Some may even wonder why anyone would use this pile of junk. (You may wonder, why would one use this pile of junk?) The Reason(answer) lies in its two signature moves, Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is truly a blessing to Klang, raising its decent attack stat to usable levels while boosting its speed through the roof. Gear Grind complements Shift Gear perfectly- although it only has 50 base power, it hits twice, making (has 50 base power, and hits twice, which makes) Klang one of the best Substitute breakers in the tier. Using its excellent typing to set up on common threats such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Cincinno, and Swellow, Klang can easily set up several Shift Gears over the course of the match. Even with these two great moves at its disposal, Klang still has its flaws. Klang lacks other (has no physical) coverage moves to work with, meaning it can easily be walled early-game. Additionally, while 80 Attack may be usable, it just isn't enough to KO bulkier threats without multiple boosts. Needless to say, Klang is one of the most unique and effective late game sweepers in NU, and (, as such,) is not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
    evs: 76 Hp / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> By utilizing a combination of its excellent Steel typing, good defenses further bolstered by Eviolite, and Substitute, Klang can set up on a multitude of top threats in the NU tier such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Alomomola, Swellow, and Cincinno. Shift Gear is the crux of this set, boosting Klang's modest Attack stat to imposing levels, and boosting its middling speed to the point where it can outrun speedy threats such as Swoobat and Cincinno. Gear Grind is Klang's sole physical STAB move, which is fortunate given that it effectively has 100 base power and breaks through Substitutes. Return is Klang's main coverage move, hitting everything relevant but Frillish, Lampent, and opposing Klang for at least neutral (Neutral) damage. Return also allows Klang to get past the common Zebstrika and Rotom-S much more easily. Substitute is another very important move on Klang. With its bulk and impressive set of resistances, Klang can easily throw up a Substitute on the majority of the metagame and proceed to set up a Shift Gear or two before the opponent can hope to get past it. Substitute also allows Klang to avoid pesky status problems such as burn, paralysis, or sleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The given EVs on this set make sure that Klang hits as hard as possible, and outspeeds Jolly Cincinno after a Shift Gear. The rest are (, the rest is) poured into HP to make Klang's Substitutes as bulky as possible. If bulkier setup with your Klang is preferable, an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is perfectly acceptable to outrun uninvested Tangela and set up an unbreakable Substitute against it. Wild Charge is a viable option over Substitute on Klang to hit a few Pokemon harder‒ especially Carracosta and Samurott ‒ (add emdash) Please explain what this is- shouldn't font be set for the whole analysis? but keep in mind that while using Wild Charge you will have to deal with the recoil that comes along with it, which, combined with loss of HP from Substitute, is undesirable on a Pokemon with low HP like Klang. Although Klang may set up and sweep pretty easily, its Attack stat isn't as impressive as other sweepers out there such as Absol or Zangoose, meaning entry hazards are a good idea to help ease Klang's sweep. Garbodor is an excellent setter of spikes, and also takes Fighting-type attacks for Klang. Cacturne is a more offensive choice, but be aware that putting both on the same team creates a serious overlap of weaknesses.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to Klang's abysmal movepool the most notable move it has is Volt Switch, which works well with Klang's low Speed Stat and Steel Typing to bring a teammate in safely but runs on Klang's paltry Special Attack and forces a removal of any boosts from Shift Gear that Klang may have accrued. Klang could also run a defensive set which moves such as Toxic or Discharge, but keep in mind that Klang has no method of recovery. While Eviolite is the main and by far the best option for Klang, Klang can feasibly run Leftovers, Life Orb, or even a Chesto Berry. (! Lastly, Hyper Beam is the strongest special move Klang gets, but has a nasty recharge turn and therefore shouldnt be used.)</p> <---- next GP tell me whether i can keep this plz I don't think it's ever a good idea to use Hyper Beam, especially since Klang has no need to run a special set.

[Checks and Counters]

<p> While Klang has the luxury of setting up on the majority of the tier, there are quite a few ways to stop it (the pile of gears) in its tracks. Bulky Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Emboar, and Throh are excellent answers to Klang, all able to take several Gear Grinds and strike (striking) back with powerful, super-effective Fighting moves. Torterra can take several boosted Gear Grinds and toss a powerful, STAB boosted Earthquake (Klang's way) in return. Eelektross is also an excellent check to Klang, resisting Gear Grind and being able to Flamethrower back for the KO. Stunfisk (hards) walls Klang hard, and KOes it (the poor gearset) with Earth Power. Samurott can come in on Klang and either set up a Swords Dance(,) or force it out with Hydro Pump. Lampent and Frillish also grind Klang's gears due to their resistance to Gear Grind and immunity to Return. Seadra also stops Klang with its excellent physical bulk and capability (is capable) of burning the machine with Scald. Outside of walling Klang, Scarfed Pokemon such as Sawk and Zebstrika are also good counters as long as Klang hasn't set up more than one Shift Gear.</p>
  21. Oglemi

Oglemi I ask consent before I thrash anuses.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Molk please address Electrolyte's amateur check

you don't have to implement everything that he changed, just what you agree with

if you have questions, ask, and don't implement it and the next gper will address it (there's a few things that he missed that i'll get if i gp it, such as capitalizing Base Power)
  22. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

oh whoops! i was waiting for a stamp lol, just noticed this x_x

ill get right on it.

Edit: implemented most of the changes, thanks!
  23. DittoCrow

DittoCrow
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner
    Mentor

Show Hide

[Overview]

<p> At first glance, Klang doesn't look like much. Although it possesses a Steel typing laden with resistances and decent stats, it has one of the smallest movepools out of all Pokemon that learn TMs. Some may even wonder why anyone would use this pile of junk. The Rreason lies in its two signature moves,: Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is truly a blessing to Klang, raising its decent aAttack stat to usable levels while boosting its sSpeed through the roof. Gear Grind complements Shift Gear perfectly- a. Although itShift Gear only has 50 bBase pPower, it hits twice, making Klang one of the best Substitute breakers in the tier. Using its excellent typing to set up on common threats such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Cincinno, and Swellow, Klang can easily set up several Shift Gears over the course of the match. Even with these two great moves at its disposal, Klang still has its flaws. Klang lacks other coverage moves to work with, meaning it can easily be walled early-game. Additionally, while 80 Attack mayight be usable, it just isn't enough to KO bulkier threats without multiple boosts. Needless to say, Klang is one of the most unique andunique and is one of the most effective late -game sweepers in NU, and; Klang is not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
    evs: 76 HpP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> By utilizing a combination of its excellent Steel typing, good defenses further bolstered by Eviolite, and Substitute, Klang can set up on a multitude of top threats in the NU tier such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Alomomola, Swellow, and Cincinno. Shift Gear is the crux of this set, boosting Klang's modest Attack stat to imposing levels, and boosting its middling speed to the point where it can outrun speedy threats such as Swoobat and Cincinno. Gear Grind is Klang's sole physical STAB move, which is fortunate given that it effectively has 100 bBase pPower and breaks through Substitutes. Return is Klang's main coverage move, hitting everything relevant but Frillish, Lampent, and opposing Klang for at least neutral damage. Return also allows Klang to get past the common Zebstrika and Rotom-S much more easily. Substitute is another very important move on Klang. With its bulk and impressive set of resistances, Klang can easily throw up a Substitute on the majority of the metagame and proceed to set up a Shift Gear or two before the opponent can hope to get past it. Substitute also allows Klang to avoid pesky status problems such as burn, paralysis, or sleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> The given EVs on this set make sure that Klang hits as hard as possible, and outspeeds Jolly Cincinno after a Shift Gear, the rest. The other EVs are poured into HP to make Klang's Substitutes as bulky as possible. If a bulkier setup with your KlangEV spread is preferablered, an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is perfectly acceptable to outrun uninvested Tangela and set up an unbreakable Substitute against it. Wild Charge is a viable option over Substitute on Klang to hit a few Pokemon harder, especially Carracosta, Frillish, and Samurott, but keep in mind that while using Wild Charge, you will have to deal with the recoil that comes along with it,; combined with loss of HP from Substitute, is undesireWild Charge's recoil is undesirable on a Pokemon with such low HP like Klang. Although Klang may set up and sweep pretty easily, its Attack stat isn't as impressive as other sweepers out there such as Absol or Zangoose, meaning entry hazards are a good idea to help ease Klang's sweep. Garbodor is an excellent setter of spikesSpikes user, and also takes Fighting-type attacks for Klang. Cacturne is a more offensive choice, but be aware that putting both Cacturne and Klang on the same team creates a serious overlap of weaknesses.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to Klang's abysmal movepool, the most notable move it has is Volt Switch, which works well with Klang's low Speed Sstat and Steel Ttyping to bring a teammate in safely bu; however, it runs on Klang's paltry Special Attack and forces a removal of any boosts from Shift Gear that Klang may have accrued. Klang could also run a defensive set whicith moves such as Toxic or Discharge, but keep in mind that Klang has no method of recovery While. Eviolite is the main and by far the best option for Klang, but Klang can feasibly run Leftovers, Life Orb, or even a Chesto Berry!.

[Checks and Counters]

<p> While Klang has the luxury of setting up on the majority of the tier, there are quite a few ways to stop it in its tracks. Bulky Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Emboar, and Throh are excellent answers to Klang, all able to take several Gear Grinds and strike back with powerful, super- effective Fighting-type moves. Torterra can take several boosted Gear Grinds and toss a powerful, STAB -boosted Earthquake Klang's way in return. Eelektross is also an excellent check to Klang, resisting Gear Grind and being able to use Flamethrower back for the KO. Stunfisk hards walls Klang, and KOes it with Earth Power. Samurott can come in on Klang and either set up a Swords Dance or force it out with Hydro Pump. Lampent and Frillish also grind Klang's gears due to their resistance to Gear Grind and immunity to Return. Seadra also stops Klang with its excellent physical bulk and capability of burning the machine with Scald. Outside of walling Klang, Scarfed PokemonPokemon holding a Choice Scarf such as Sawk and Zebstrika are also good counterhecks as long as Klang hasn't set up more than one Shift Gear.</p>

c/p (open)

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Klang doesn't look like much. Although it possesses a Steel typing laden with resistances and decent stats, it has one of the smallest movepools out of all Pokemon that learn TMs. Some may even wonder why anyone would use this pile of junk. The reason lies in its two signature moves: Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is truly a blessing to Klang, raising its decent Attack stat to usable levels while boosting its Speed through the roof. Gear Grind complements Shift Gear perfectly. Although Shift Gear only has 50 Base Power, it hits twice, making Klang one of the best Substitute breakers in the tier. Using its excellent typing to set up on common threats such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Cincinno, and Swellow, Klang can easily set up several Shift Gears over the course of the match. Even with these two great moves at its disposal, Klang still has its flaws. Klang lacks other coverage moves to work with, meaning it can easily be walled early-game. Additionally, while 80 Attack might be usable, it just isn't enough to KO bulkier threats without multiple boosts. Needless to say, Klang is unique and is one of the most effective late-game sweepers in NU; Klang is not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
    evs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By utilizing a combination of its excellent Steel typing, good defenses further bolstered by Eviolite, and Substitute, Klang can set up on a multitude of top threats in the NU tier such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Alomomola, Swellow, and Cincinno. Shift Gear is the crux of this set, boosting Klang's modest Attack stat to imposing levels and boosting its middling speed to the point where it can outrun speedy threats such as Swoobat and Cincinno. Gear Grind is Klang's sole physical STAB move, which is fortunate given that it effectively has 100 Base Power and breaks through Substitute. Return is Klang's main coverage move, hitting everything relevant but Frillish, Lampent, and opposing Klang for at least neutral damage. Return also allows Klang to get past the common Zebstrika and Rotom-S much more easily. Substitute is another very important move on Klang. With its bulk and impressive set of resistances, Klang can easily throw up a Substitute on the majority of the metagame and proceed to set up a Shift Gear or two before the opponent can hope to get past it. Substitute also allows Klang to avoid pesky status problems such as burn, paralysis, or sleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs on this set make sure that Klang hits as hard as possible and outspeeds Jolly Cincinno after a Shift Gear. The other EVs are poured into HP to make Klang as bulky as possible. If a bulkier EV spread is preferred, an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is perfectly acceptable to outrun uninvested Tangela and set up an unbreakable Substitute against it. Wild Charge is a viable option over Substitute on Klang to hit a few Pokemon harder, especially Carracosta, Frillish, and Samurott, but keep in mind that while using Wild Charge, you will have to deal with the recoil that comes along with it; combined with loss of HP from Substitute, Wild Charge's recoil is undesirable on a Pokemon with such low HP. Although Klang may set up and sweep pretty easily, its Attack stat isn't as impressive as other sweepers such as Absol or Zangoose, meaning entry hazards are a good idea to help ease Klang's sweep. Garbodor is an excellent Spikes user, and also takes Fighting-type attacks for Klang. Cacturne is a more offensive choice, but be aware that putting both Cacturne and Klang on the same team creates a serious overlap of weaknesses.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Thanks to Klang's abysmal movepool, the most notable move it has is Volt Switch, which works well with Klang's low Speed stat and Steel typing to bring a teammate in safely; however, it runs on Klang's paltry Special Attack and forces a removal of any boosts from Shift Gear that Klang may have accrued. Klang could also run a defensive set with moves such as Toxic or Discharge, but keep in mind that Klang has no method of recovery. Eviolite is the main and by far the best option for Klang, but Klang can feasibly run Leftovers, Life Orb, or even a Chesto Berry.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Klang has the luxury of setting up on the majority of the tier, there are quite a few ways to stop it in its tracks. Bulky Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Emboar, and Throh are excellent answers to Klang, all able to take several Gear Grinds and strike back with powerful, super effective Fighting-type moves. Torterra can take several boosted Gear Grinds and toss a powerful STAB-boosted Earthquake Klang's way in return. Eelektross is also an excellent check to Klang, resisting Gear Grind and being able to use Flamethrower for the KO. Stunfisk hards walls Klang, and KOes it with Earth Power. Samurott can come in on Klang and either set up a Swords Dance or force it out with Hydro Pump. Lampent and Frillish also grind Klang's gears due to their resistance to Gear Grind and immunity to Return. Seadra also stops Klang with its excellent physical bulk and capability of burning the machine with Scald. Outside of walling Klang, Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf such as Sawk and Zebstrika are also good checks as long as Klang hasn't set up more than one Shift Gear.</p>

Requesting that this gets another check, as it had many basic mistakes.

[gp]2/3[/gp]
  24. Molk

Molk mfw zoroark
    RU Leader

yeah, this is why i usually dont implement checks until their stamped X_X, im not great with grammar myself, though haha.
  25. complete legitimacy

complete legitimacy Honko's Happy Funtime With Men
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

c/p (open)
    [Overview]

<p>At first glance, Klang doesn't look like much. Although it possesses a Steel typing laden with resistances and decent stats, it has one of the smallest movepools out of all Pokemon that learn TMs. Some may even wonder why anyone would use this pile of junk. The reason lies in its two signature moves: Shift Gear and Gear Grind. Shift Gear is truly a blessing to Klang, raising its decent Attack stat to usable levels while boosting its Speed through the roof. Gear Grind complements Shift Gear perfectly; although it only has 50 Base Power, it hits twice, making Klang one of the best checks to Substitute users in the tier. Using its excellent typing to set up on common threats such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Cincinno, and Swellow, Klang can easily set up several Shift Gears over the course of the match. Even with these two great moves at its disposal, Klang still has its flaws. Klang lacks other coverage moves to work with, meaning it can easily be walled early-game. Additionally, while 80 Attack might be usable, it just isn't enough to KO bulkier threats without multiple boosts. Needless to say, Klang is unique and is one of the most effective late-game sweepers in NU; it's not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
    evs: 80 HP / 248 Atk / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By utilizing a combination of its excellent Steel typing, good defenses further bolstered by Eviolite, and Substitute, Klang can set up on a multitude of top threats in the NU tier such as Tangela, Amoonguss, Vileplume, Alomomola, Swellow, and Cincinno. Shift Gear is the crux of this set, boosting Klang's modest Attack stat to impressive levels and its middling Speed to the point where it can outrun speedy threats such as Swoobat and Cincinno. Gear Grind is Klang's sole physical STAB move, which is fortunate given that it effectively has 100 Base Power and breaks through Substitute. Return is Klang's main coverage move, hitting every relevant threat except for Frillish, Lampent, and opposing Klang for at least neutral damage. Return also allows Klang to get past the common Zebstrika and Rotom-S much more easily. Substitute is another very important move on Klang; with its bulk and impressive set of resistances, Klang can easily throw up a Substitute on the majority of the metagame and proceed to set up a Shift Gear or two before the opponent can hope to get past it. Substitute also allows Klang to avoid pesky status problems such as burn, paralysis, or sleep from the likes of (examples).</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs on this set make sure that Klang hits as hard as possible and outspeeds Jolly Cincinno after a Shift Gear. The other EVs are poured into HP to make Klang as bulky as possible (just remember to put what you told me on IRC: 80 HP gives four subs). If a bulkier EV spread is preferred, an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe is perfectly acceptable to outrun uninvested Tangela and set up an unbreakable Substitute against it. Wild Charge is a viable option over Substitute on Klang to hit a few Pokemon harder, especially Carracosta, Frillish, and Samurott, but keep in mind that while using Wild Charge, you will have to deal with the recoil that comes along with it; combined with loss of HP from Substitute, Wild Charge's recoil is undesirable on a Pokemon with such low HP. Although Klang may set up and sweep pretty easily, its Attack stat isn't as impressive as other sweepers such as Absol or Zangoose, meaning entry hazards are a good idea to help ease Klang's sweep. Garbodor is an excellent Spikes user, and also takes Fighting-type attacks for Klang. Cacturne is a more offensive choice, but be aware that using both Cacturne and Klang on the same team creates a serious overlap of weaknesses.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Volt Switch is the most notable move out of Klang's other options thanks to its abysmal movepool, which works well with Klang's low Speed stat and Steel typing to bring a teammate in safely; however, it runs on Klang's paltry Special Attack and forces a removal of any boosts from Shift Gear that Klang may have accrued. Klang could also run a defensive set with moves such as Toxic or Discharge, but keep in mind that Klang has no method of recovery. Eviolite is the main and by far the best option for Klang, but Klang can feasibly run Leftovers, Life Orb, or even a Chesto Berry.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Klang has the luxury of setting up on the majority of the tier, there are quite a few ways to stop it in its tracks. Bulky Fighting-types such as Gurdurr, Emboar, and Throh are excellent answers to Klang, all able to take several Gear Grinds and strike back with powerful, super effective Fighting-type moves. Torterra can take several boosted Gear Grinds and toss a powerful STAB Earthquake Klang's way in return. Eelektross is also an excellent check to Klang, resisting Gear Grind and KOing with Flamethrower. Stunfisk hard walls Klang, and KOes it with Earth Power. Samurott can come in on Klang and either set up a Swords Dance or force it out with Hydro Pump. Lampent and Frillish also grind Klang's gears due to their resistance to Gear Grind and immunity to Return. Seadra also stops Klang with its excellent physical bulk and capability of burning the machine with Scald. Outside of walling Klang, Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf such as Sawk (maybe mention that Shift Gear breaks Sturdy?) and Zebstrika are also good checks as long as Klang hasn't set up more than one Shift Gear.</p>

[GP]3/3[/GP]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)