Klefki [QC 0/2)

[OVERVIEW]

• Below average stats for a support Pokemon, but it's positive defensive typing makes up for that due to it resisting so many other types and it only being weak to Fire and Ground
  • Viable prankster abuser
  • Klefki has such a diverse movepool so it can be ran many different ways. The set i will be talking about will be it's dual screens set.

[SET]
name: Standard Support
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Safeguard
move 2: Swagger
move 4: Foul Play
item: Leftovers / Mental Herb
ability: Prankster
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD

name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Safeguard
move 4: Foul Play / Thunder Wave / Swagger
item: Light Clay
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD

Moves
========

Safeguard prevents status
Reflect increases your teams defense for 8 turns thanks to light clay
Light screen increases your teams special defense for 8 turns thanks to light clay
Filler. Foul play is so you have some attacking move if you're afraid of Thundurus, Thunder wave for speed control, Swagger for general annoyance and its basically the best move in the game ;)

Set Details
========

Survives adamant scarf earthquake from Landorus-Therian
Survives timid life orb earth power from Landorus-Incarnate
Survives bulky mega Charizard Y's heat wave in the sun after light screen
Survives heat wave and earth power from lefties max SpA heatran
The list goes on...

Usage Tips
========

Klefki is usually a great lead
Don't sack too early
Don't rely on Swagger / Thunder wave to win you games
Don't setup safeguard for no reason
Be careful around other prankster users

Team Options
========

Mega Kangaskhan - Offers fake out support forcing some turn one protects or switches
Gyarados - Dragon dance waterfall / ice fang takes care of a lot of Klefki's threats
Mega Salamence - Offers intimidate support and takes care of klefki's only type weaknesses
Wide guard - Prevents rock slide from flinching you, prevents heat waves, prevents earthquakes

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Protect and Substitute are options to keep Klefki on the field longer.
  • Magnet Rise accomplishes the same by preventing exclusively Ground-type attacks from damaging Klefki; completely walling common Choice-locked attackers like Landorus-T.
  • Rain Dance and Sunny Day help their respective weather teams maintain control. As a Steel-type, Klefki has slightly better synergy with the former as it reduces the damage of Fire-type attacks.
  • Dazzling Gleam and Flash Cannon are alternatives for Foul Play if you need their respective coverage.
  • Switcheroo can be used in combination with a hindering item like Lagging Tail.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire types**: Gives Klefki lots of problems, Charizard Y and Rotom-H gets special mentions because Charizard Y guaranteed 1HKO's Klefki with Overheat and Rotom-H is immune to Thunder Wave.

**Ground Types**: Ground types are immune to thunder wave

**Taunt Users**: Anything that learns taunt hinders Klefki from doing it's job. Specifically prankster taunt users such as Thundurus, Sableye, etc because they can taunt you before you can even try and set up.

Last edited:
Your formatting is incorrect, please use the format outlined Here. I've provided a Copy & Paste for you to save time:

[OVERVIEW]

• Not bad stats
  • Decent Movepool

[SET]
move 1: Safeguard
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Light screen increases your teams special defense for 8 turns thanks to light clay
Filler. Foul play is so you have some attacking move if you're afraid of Thundurus, Thunder wave for speed control, Swagger for general annoyance and its basically the best move in the game ;)

Set Details
========

The list goes on...

Usage Tips
========

Don't sack too early

Team Options
========

Mega Kangaskhan - Offers fake out support forcing some turn one protects or switches
Gyarados - Dragon dance waterfall / ice fang takes care of a lot of Klefki's threats
Mega Salamence - Offers intimidate support and takes care of klefki's only type weaknesses
Wide guard - Prevents rock slide from flinching you, prevents heat waves, prevents earthquakes

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Swag-Keys is another viable set.
  • Swagger
  • Thunder Wave
  • Foul Play
  • Safeguard
Same EV Spread and everything just different moves

Checks and Counters
===================

**Charizard Y**: Guaranteed kills Smeargle with overheat

**Thundurus**: Taunt.. Just Taunt

**Sableye**: OH HEY another taunt user...

**Whismicott**: Encore, Fake Tears, Taunt gg

**Smeargle**: You can't really touch smeargle without having to rely heavily on RNG

Last edited:
Your formatting is incorrect, please use the format outlined Here. I've provided a Copy & Paste for you to save time:

[OVERVIEW]

• Not bad stats
  • Decent Movepool

[SET]
move 1: Safeguard
move 3: Light Screen

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

The list goes on...

Usage Tips
========

Don't sack too early

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Swag-Keys is another viable set.
  • Swagger
  • Thunder Wave
  • Foul Play
  • Safeguard
Same EV Spread and everything just different moves

Checks and Counters
===================

**Charizard Y**: Guaranteed kills Smeargle with overheat

**Thundurus**: Taunt.. Just Taunt

**Sableye**: OH HEY another taunt user...

**Whismicott**: Encore, Fake Tears, Taunt gg

**Smeargle**: You can't really touch smeargle without having to rely heavily on RNG
Hey man thanks a lot, I just used the format lucariojr provided in his post. I'll edit as soon as I get on the computer.

And for my actual feedback:

Overview
  • "Not bad stats" - Should be reworded. Klefki's base stats are below average for a dedicated support.
  • However, you can mention its typing as being a positive defensively, since it only has two weaknesses.
  • "Viable prankster abuser" - This is obvious because if it wasn't viable then it wouldn't have an analysis. Mention how it stacks up against other Prankster users like Thundurus (which it's generally outclassed by), Sableye, and Liepard.
  • "Decent movepool" - Give a few examples. Its best moves should be those featured on the set/s.
Set
  • I think the analysis should be split into two sets, with the one you listed in Other Options becoming the main one. If you check Battle Spot's Usage Stats you'll notice that it's more common than Dual Screens. For example:
  • The move order is notable as it follows a logical progression. Thunder Wave is arguably Klefki's best move, so it's mentioned first. Safeguard allows the use of Swagger on teammates, and Swagger boosts the damage of Foul Play.
  • For the Dual Screens set, make sure moves that the set is named after are listed first.
Other Options
  • Magnet Rise accomplishes the same by preventing exclusively Ground-type attacks from damaging Klefki; completely walling common Choice-locked attackers like Landorus-T.
  • Rain Dance and Sunny Day help their respective weather teams maintain control. As a Steel-type, Klefki has slightly better synergy with the former as it reduces the damage of Fire-type attacks.
  • Dazzling Gleam and Flash Cannon are alternatives for Foul Play if you need their respective coverage.
  • Switcheroo can be used in combination with a hindering item like Lagging Tail.
Checks and Counters
  • Change "Charizard" to 'Fire-types' and mention Charizard there, along with other Fire-types. Rotom-H should get a special mention for being immune to Thunder Wave. Also remember that Pokemon aren't killed, they're KOed.
  • Add a 'Ground-types' section. They're immune to Thunder Wave and deal super effective damage to Klefki.
  • Just merge Thundurus, Sableye, and Whimsicott into a single header labelled 'Taunt users'.
  • Smeargle doesn't check Klefki; your description could fit any number of Pokemon. Remove the mention.

Last edited:
And for my actual feedback:

Overview
  • "Not bad stats" - Should be reworded. Klefki's base stats are below average for a dedicated support.
  • However, you can mention its typing as being a positive defensively, since it only has two weaknesses.
  • "Viable prankster abuser" - This is obvious because if it wasn't viable then it wouldn't have an analysis. Mention how it stacks up against other Prankster users like Thundurus (which it's generally outclassed by), Sableye, and Liepard.
  • "Decent movepool" - Give a few examples. Its best moves should be those featured on the set/s.
Set
  • I think the analysis should be split into two sets, with the one you listed in Other Options becoming the main one. If you check Battle Spot's Usage Stats you'll notice that it's more common than Dual Screens. For example:
  • The move order is notable as it follows a logical progression. Thunder Wave is arguably Klefki's best move, so it's mentioned first. Safeguard allows the use of Swagger on teammates, and Swagger boosts the damage of Foul Play.
  • For the Dual Screens set, make sure moves that the set is named after are listed first.
Other Options
Checks and Counters
  • Change "Charizard" to 'Fire-types' and mention Charizard there, along with other Fire-types. Rotom-H should get a special mention for being immune to Thunder Wave. Also remember that Pokemon aren't killed, they're KOed.
  • Add a 'Ground-types' section. They're immune to Thunder Wave and deal super effective damage to Klefki.
  • Just merge Thundurus, Sableye, and Whimsicott into a single header labelled 'Taunt users'.
  • Smeargle doesn't check Klefki; your description could fit any number of Pokemon. Remove the mention.
I just edited it, can you look over it again to see if i got anything you said? I would really like to keep the moveset the same because that's the one that has given me much success in the past.

I just edited it, can you look over it again to see if i got anything you said? I would really like to keep the moveset the same because that's the one that has given me much success in the past.
Your job is to inform the reader of Klefki's viable options and let them make their own decision, not cite a set because that's what you've used. Regardless, the Dual Screens set can stay exactly as it is. I'm suggesting adding an additional set alongside it because I think they're both viable, but play differently. Dual Screens is more niche because it's more geared towards helping setup sweepers like PuP Kangaskhan, DD Charizard X, and DD Tyranitar stay on the field longer and avoid status before they start dishing out damage. You don't set up Screens to tank hits for the sake of it, you do it to allow for more damage in the following turns because that improves your momentum. The 'Standard Support' is more of a catch-all.

As for what you missed, you should still expand on "viable prankster abuser" in the Overview. And change the move order of the Dual Screens set to have Light Screen and Reflect listed at the top, because they define the set. Like:

move 1: Light Screen

Last edited:
Your job is to inform the reader of Klefki's viable options and let them make their own decision, not cite a set because that's what you've used. Regardless, the Dual Screens set can stay exactly as it is. I'm suggesting adding an additional set alongside it because I think they're both viable, but play differently. Dual Screens is more niche because it's more geared towards helping setup sweepers like PuP Kangaskhan, DD Charizard X, and DD Tyranitar stay on the field longer and avoid status before they start dishing out damage. You don't set up Screens to tank hits for the sake of it, you do it to allow for more damage in the following turns because that improves your momentum. The 'Standard Support' is more of a catch-all.

As for what you missed, you should still expand on "viable prankster abuser" in the Overview. And change the move order of the Dual Screens set to have Light Screen and Reflect listed at the top, because they define the set. Like:

move 1: Light Screen
How do you suggest i format the additional set?

How do you suggest i format the additional set?
C&P for the new set. Add it above "[SET]" in the current OP:
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

Since there's no Light Screen, there's no point in a spread centered around surviving Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave with it up. This one just survives Landorus-T's Earthquake, and has the remaining EVs placed into bolstering Special Defense as much as possible. A Bold nature is used to minimize confusion damage (use Bold on the Dual Screens set over Impish too).

Last edited:
C&P for the new set. Add it above "[SET]" in the current OP:
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

Since there's no Light Screen, there's no point in a spread centered around surviving Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave with it up. This one just survives Landorus-T's Earthquake, and has the remaining EVs placed into bolstering Special Defense as much as possible. A Bold nature is used to minimize confusion damage (use Bold on the Dual Screens set over Impish too).
Sooo just copy and paste that set over mine? So no light screen?

since you gave me the Ev spread, can yo explain what it does?
Quoting myself:

hey in your moves you say that foul play is cause of thundy. Thats not why to run it at all, you run it so you dont have to worry about
a. taunt
b. how much investment you put in. Foul Play is an amazing move BECAUSE it ignores your attack stat.

NightLight26 you have one week to get this ready for QC before it gets reassigned. Also remember to put everything except checks and counters in bulleted form, you currently have that only in the overview and other options

NightLight26 you have one week to get this ready for QC before it gets reassigned. Also remember to put everything except checks and counters in bulleted form, you currently have that only in the overview and other options
How do i stop making it? I feel Klefki is redundant now due to the new meta. I'd rather do analysis on say Xerneas, etc.

How do i stop making it? I feel Klefki is redundant now due to the new meta. I'd rather do analysis on say Xerneas, etc.
We'll get to VGC 16 stuff like Xerneas next year. As for Klefki, if you want to drop this, that's okay, but I can tell you that this analysis will still have use as a Battle Spot Doubles analysis next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)