Changes:

- Mostly followed Molk's suggestions

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/klinklang

[OVERVIEW]

- Great set up sweeper
- Great typing
- Wild Charge!
- Clear Body
- Almost impossible to revenge kill due to doubled 90 base speed and lone priority weakness
- Has quite a few hard counters
- Most of them lack recovery
- Shallow movepool
- Doesn't have the power to OHKO that many Pokemon, so works better as a late game sweeper

[SET]
name: Shift Gear
move 1: Shift Gear
move 2: Gear Grind
move 3: Substitute / Wild Charge
move 4: Return / Wild Charge
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Clear Body
nature: Adamant
evs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

- Abuses great typing and Substitute to boost
- No trouble with Sturdy due to Gear Grind
- Hits most everything neutrally except for Steel-types
- Very difficult to revenge kill
- Sets up on Ferroseed, who walls the moveset
- Safe from Leech Seed, Paralysis, Burn

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- Leftovers works well with Substitute, Life Orb recoil adds up fast but is an option
- Outspeeds Scarf Manectric while maintaining maximum attack power
- Clear Body does something in singles, stopping Intimidate and random stat drops
- Smeargle or Qwilfish set up hazards, Magneton traps steels
- Special Wall breakers are key: Moltres, Nidoqueen, Sceptile, CM Sigilyph
- They break down Klinklang's counters and bring in Pokemon Klinklang can easily set up on
- Tough to beat outside of phazing with screen support, Uxie
- Wild Charge instead of Return
- Hidden Power Fire or Ground with a Naughty nature with Life Orb
- 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd for more bulk if you arent worried about the fastest scarfers, or checking as many threats pre-boost

[Other Options]

- Volt Switch to keep offensive momentum, "hurt" Water-types, escape Magneton. Very weak
- Chesto Rest, accomplishes little Substitute doesn't
- Air Balloon / Magnet Rise
- Trick Room with a "slow" Volt Switch
- Charge Beam / Flash Cannon / Tbolt / HP if you like a faster worse Magneton

[Checks and Counters]

- Quagsire / Poliwrath
- Steelix
- Magneton
- Tangrowth
- Haze Cofagrigus
- Aggron w/o HP Ground
- Escavalier w/o HP Fire
- Nidoqueen
- Omastar w/o Wild Charge
- Rotom
- Sandslash
- Moltres w/o Wild Charge
- Ferroseed w/o Substitute
- Entei and Gurdurr check

It's been 10 days with no input so I assume this is QC ready. I spoke with Molk about some changes on IRC and added those in a couple of days ago (altered Checks and Counters some, the AC alternate spread, and added Smeargle as a hazard setter).

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

QC Approved 1/3

add aggron as a check because it can take a +1 gear grind well even with 0/0 and KO back with EQ.

Probably put some emphasis on poliwrath in checks and counters, slowking and lanturn too, especially for the first set.

Mention that anything bulky enough to take a gear grind and do a crapload of damage is a check.

otherwise, this looks good

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think that Klinklang needs two sets. Substitute and Return are both better than Wild Charge about 90% of the time, and I think you can just make it a slash or even AC it. It's completely redundant to use both Return and Wild Charge, since while Wild Charge does hit a few targets harder, Return hits everything else harder and still beats most of the same things (Life Orb Return 2HKOes Slowking, you beat Qwilfish without Haze thanks to Clear Body and Life Orb, and you still lose to Poliwrath). The only real utility it jas is against Moltres, but with Stealth Rock it can also be beaten with Return. So basically, everything that Wild Charge does is done better by Life Orb Return. So you can make one set, slash Life Orb, and basically scrap the second set, since there's pretty much no reason to use it.

Agreeing with c_l. The two sets are way too similar, and Wild Charge isn't good enough to have a set for. However it seems as though Wild Charge would have some utility, KOing foes such as Support Omastar, Qwilfish, Poliwrath, Slowking, and Moltres. However, Return still does well vs. Slowking and Moltres, as well as other Fire-types and most importantly, Lanturn, Galvantula, Manectric, Electivire, and Rotom-C. Return hits the more common stuff though. I would do this:

[SET]
name: Shift Gear
move 1: Shift Gear
move 2: Gear Grind
move 3: Substitute / Wild Charge
move 4: Return / Wild Charge
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Clear Body
nature: Adamant
evs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Mention HP Fire for a quicker kill on Ferroseed and Escavalier, and to deal more damage to Steelix and Tangrowth (make sure to change Adamant to Naughty)
  • HP Ground is another possibility for Aggron and Magneton (make sure to change Adamant to Naughty)
  • Life Orb and use Wild Charge over Substitute

[Other Options]

• Thunder Wave
  • Trick Room lol
  • Charge Beam with Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt if you're a gimmicky guy

[Checks and Counters]

• Quagsire, Steelix, and Poliwrath are the top 3 counters- Poliwrath's Scald breaks Substitute and it can phaze with Circle Throw. +2 Return w/o Life Orb doesn't even 2HKO Poliwrath, and Wild Charge doesn't 2HKO unless it's at +1.
  • Haze Cofagrigus
  • Support Omastar does well against sets lacking Wild Charge
  • Gurdurr checks
  • Be sure to mention that Escavalier only destroys Klinklang lacking Wild Charge/Hidden Power (Megahorn: 51.74 - 60.83%) (Iron Head: 34.61 - 40.55%) while +1 Gear Grind (Life Orb) Gear Grind: 41.39 - 48.97%
  • Please don't put Alomomola in here

I'll review it again later (and get rid of the second set if it wasn't clear xd).

Oh I forgot to tell you to mention Tangrowth in Checks and Counters. Defensive ones should be running HP Fighting so yeah. Once you make the rest of the changes:

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Mention teammates that can take out its main counters (i.e. Steelix, Magneton, Escavalier) and this will be

[qc]3/3[/qc]

There hasn't been any progress for about 2 months. Friar also said that he's really busy, so if anyone is interested in taking the analysis, post here I guess??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)