Know Your Niche - Round 19 (see: page 12, post 279)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venusaur @ Venusarite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice

Venusaur is capable of checking Tapu Koko and Rotom-W, while also being able to handle Mega Scizor and possibly Landorus-T depending on the set of both Pokemon. Tornadus-T is very uncommon as well, which is great for Venusaur. Not really expecting to get the nomination for the third time in a row because everything good at checking Volt-Turn was already taken but I really like doing these because it's fun.

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor-Mega: 172-204 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

44 Atk Scizor-Mega U-turn vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 73-87 (20.3 - 24.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 180-212 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 290-344 (103.2 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Coming up with and stockpiling themes for this project is a significantly bigger undertaking than it has been for the projects I have hosted in the past, so I genuinely massively appreciate the huge level of support that people are showing for this project and thank everyone for being patient with it :D
Week 4: A Pokémon which can help its team circumvent VoltTurning strategies.
These were kinda tricky to iron out due to the nature of VoltTurning as a strategy, so yeah any feedback on how to improve these is appreciated.

The Pokemon must be capable of punishing two or more of the following VoltTurners:
  • Mega Scizor
  • Tapu Koko
  • Landorus-T
  • Pheromosa
  • Rotom-W
  • Magearna
In addition to this, the Pokemon must meet one of the following criteria:
  • The Pokémon has a means of consistently punishing the regular switching that VoltTurn entails.
  • The Pokémon has a means of shutting down VoltTurning methods.
  • The Pokémon has a means of directly punishing the VoltTurning method that the Pokemon uses.
Best of luck to everyone :)
Well, a certain SOMEONE already nicked Chesnaught before I could use it! Nvm, I have a backup:

galvantula.gif

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

A lot of the mons on the list Martin has supplied us with happen to be grounded, and that's where Sticky Web comes in. The speed reduction can easily punish Pheromosa; Tapu Koko and Mega Scizor (as well as Magearna, but that thing was never going fast anytime soon anyway...) intending to VoltTurn on your team, which allows for extra flexibility in Natures and EV spreads during Teambuilding (E.G: Adamant Scarf Darmanitan instead of Jolly, allowing to hit harder) and allowing more opportunities for your bulkier attackers to check opponents. Scenario:

- I have Sticky Web up.
- My opponent has a -1 Mega Scizor out in front of me.
- I can then go into my Heatran (safely, so long as they don't have Superpower), and check them as A) I am a Fire type, and B) their only way of 'outspeeding' me at that point is through Bullet Punch, which I quadresist.
- My opponent's instinct would be to go into their bulky Water (Tapu Fini, for this example, as it can also Defog away said Sticky Web). As it turns out, I am MagDoom Grassium Z Heatran, so Fini ends up trapped, and dies to Bloom Doom!

This is the kind of thing you can do with Sticky Web alongside proper support. HP Ice can also take a chunk out of Landorus-T (252 SpA Galvantula Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 260-308 (81.5 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock), and can sap momentum from Rotom-W with a Volt Switch of it's own (though if both are Scarfed, this is a little more hypothetical).

Another thing to note is how Galvantulas' typing can easily punish Defoggers that are more optimal for clearing off Sticky Web. Latios cannot switch into Swarm boosted Bug Buzz (252 SpA Swarm Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 332-392 (111 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO) if Gauvantula's sash is broken, and this might A) lead to Latios getting revenge killed itself by, say, Pursuit trappers, or B) a focus was put turn 1 to both sides laying hazards, and Galvantula's Sash is still intact by the time Latios comes in to remove them, which applies a lot of pressure by itself.

Tapu Fini is (of course) weak to your Electric STAB, and loses their team momentum as I either A) Volt Switch out, or B) I may be carrying an stronger electric move in place of VS (example, Compound Eyes Thunder) which can 2HKO easily (252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 212-252 (61.8 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery). That's another thing - CE Thunder is an alternate option you have in place of Volt Switch, which punishes even a safe switch into Fini trying to Defog hazards off the field.

I know this one was a lot of examples with teammates, but it really puts into perspective what Galvantulas' Sticky Web can do with proper optimization and smart plays regarding it - as well as the pressure it can put on faster teams where VoltTurn primarily resides.

Last edited:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon completely shuts down Tapu Koko and Rotom-W from doing anything while it is still alive. Max HP and Max Def allows Gastrodon to not be 2HKOed by Specs Secret Sword from Keldeo and can survive a +2 Earthquake from Lando-T at max HP. Even without investment in SpD, Gastrodon can still switch in decently against Magearna outside of Specs Fleur Cannon (AV sets can't 2HKO you from full). While Gastrodon can't do much to Scizor, it can spam Scald to cripple it. Unfortunately, Gastrodon still loses to Pheromosa.

Last edited:
I don't think many of these *punish* volt turn. They're just bug-electric switchins. Your opponent can just keep rotating around, accruing chip damage. That's why this is a tricky week.

Think about what makes your opponent actually question using a pivoting move. Stuff like:
  • Flamebody+willo Moltres
  • Static Zapdos
  • Rocky helmet Stunfisk with stealth rock
Not reserving these if someone wants them.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aloan Marowak

Aloan Marowak hard checks most U-Turners and is completely immune to volt switch. It counters Pheromosa, Tapu koko, Mega Scizor, Zapdos and magearna while crippling Landorus Therian on the switch in with will-o-wisp and can nearly OHKO ash greninja with bonemarang. Aloan Marowak can even set up stealth rocks to punish the opposing team each time they try to switch out by making them lose their health, and it can spinblock these hazards himself, (as voltturns only spinner is usually phermosa/zapdos which wak counters). This thing not only stops most of VoltTurns prime members, it forces them to rethink their battle strategy. VolTurn has play with extreme caution if they want to get past this guy.
Edit the set into your post

Seismitoad

Seismitoad, while being low-ranked, has some key niches that make it an option for bulkier teams. One of these is its ability to combat VoltTurn spam.

For Volt Switch, the role is obvious: Seismitoad is immune to Volt Switch and does not fear HP Ice or other common coverage options that Volt Switch users carry. It only fears the rare Grass Knot.

As for U-Turn, Seismitoad resists it and can punish the absuers with Rocky Helmet damage. It takes little damage from many of the meta's prominent U-Turn users. For example, 16+ Mega Scizor's U-Turn is a 5HKO, and Pheromosa can't 2HKO it either. Koko is walled to hell and back.

Seismitoad is ultimately a good role-compressor for bulky teams, as it sets Stealth Rock, spams Scald and Knock Off to support the team and wear down the opponent, and pivot into attacks such as U-Turn and Volt Switch to eliminate the opponent's momentum. It can also run Rest to retain longevity or Toxic to pit certain targets on a timer. Something important to not is that Seismitoad beats most common rockers and hazard removers 1v1, and greatly irritates the rest.

A final, more niche option for the frog is Eject Button. This was used to success in the infamous Wonder Trio Stall of ORAS OU, in which Eject Button Seismitoad pivoted into the attacks of wallbreakers so that it could give a free switch into Dugtrio. It can therefore block attempts by opponents to VoltTurn around freely and eventually trap and eliminate threats via the Eject Button. Even once the threat is removed, Seismitoad continues to be a solid supportive option.

A sample set:

Normies Reeee (Seismitoad) @ Rocky Helmet/Eject Button
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD
Bold Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Scald
-Knock Off
-Rest/Toxic

Univested Scald does decent damage, hitting Koko for about 40% and scaring away Landorus-T, while Knock punishes most water resists.

This set works best when paired with bulky teammates, preferably those that can provide Wish and/or cleric support.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Was going to reserve Stunfisk but now that I lost the surprise factor guess I'll take Shedinja :]

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Baton Pass

Well, this one's a bit more playstyle-specific because Shed only fits on Stall but it's really good at doing one thing and that is tossing your opponent's momentum away. Stall can usually be pressured by heavy VoltTurn in some Offense matchups and even though this isn't that big of an issue at first, it could eventually be too much pressure for Stall to handle. This is one of the reasons Stall runs Shedinja: Its immunity to Bug and Electric turn it into the perfect switchin for mons like Scizor, non Stone Edge Landorus-T, Tapu Koko, Pheromosa and some others that can aply pressure to Stall cores with just pivoting around with Volt Switch/U-Turn. Max Attack Adamant to power up Sneak and max Speed for "fast" Wisps (the spread tht outslows Clef is kinda outdated). Wisp+Protect cripple physical attackers and Protect also helps scouting for some random coverage. Baton Pass allows you to get momentum from your opponent switching out because they can't touch you.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Winners
by Monkey Smurf
by quziel
by matthewc20090

Sorry for being late again; I've been busy IRL, and I expected to be done with things last week only for stuff to go wrong at every step--which has just been leaving me extremely stressed and resulted in my running over on scheduling, and that in conjunction with me+TP needing to be simultaniously on Discord to discuss just means it's been a bit of a nightmare.

I guess I'll use this opportunity to advertise this:

Me and Team Pokepals are looking for additional co-hosts

This project is more demanding than things like Matchmaking are due to the nature of the project, and it is important that there are people available who can be a) helping discuss winners and b) helping stockpile week concepts to account for when time isn't on my side with this. If you are interested in helping, send an application to both me and Team Pokepals. We'll review this and when we think we have one or two people who fit the bill we'll say who, but we are looking for people who have a solid understanding of the OU metagame (it doesn't need to be incredible, but good enough to help keep the project afloat) and are able to keep the right things in mind both when designing and picking winners for weeks.

With that out of the way, week 5 will be up shortly

Martin

Week 5: A sweeper or wallbreaker which utilises Trick Room
The Pokemon must either be capable of setting up Trick Room and putting it to good use on its own OR be capable of taking good advantage of Trick Room support from a teammate.
... what? You were expecting more detail? This week is much vaguer than usual, so yeah we're leaving a pretty open playing field on this one.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

Offensive TR Mimikyu is lovely since Disguise basically guarantees it being able to get off a Trick Room. Despite being relatively fast for a TR sweeper, it still is able to demolish a number of faster offensive builds, especially those utilizing Pheromosa since this sets up all over it and doesn't have to rely on Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

On-site Trick Room Magearna set. Last move is interchangeable depending on the kind of Pokemon it wants to break through; even the Z-move can be dedicated to that slot if you truly want to lure their respective targets, although the benefits of having a super Fairy nuke that doesn't drop your Special Attack obviously can't be understated, especially when Trick Room sweeping.

well, the two best trick room setters in the game are gone

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

Alolan Marowak hits hard but has abysmal speed, so it is great under trick room. It can break through a lot of walls including Tapu Fini, Landorus-T and Toxapex, and can also potentially sweep with SD.

Last edited:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def (or you could run a bulkier spread to tank hits much better)
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Tri Attack / Ice Beam
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

Porygon2 is unique among Trick Room setters in its access to reliable recovery as well as being remarkably bulky even without investment in Defense / Special Defense. Due to these traits it can set up Trick Room reliably throughout the course of the match on Pokemon such as Latios, Mega Metagross, and Celesteela while also being remarkably strong, for example 2HKOing even moderately bulky Pokemon such as Keldeo, Mega Metagross, and Latios, of course assuming you get a Download boost. In my opinion Porygon2 is just one of the best Trick Room setters and is able to consistently do it, being bulky enough to even take extremely strong hits such as Specs Keldeo's Secret Sword. Here's a couple of calcs to demonstrate both Porygon2's impressive power and its bulk, even when uninvested in defenses.

252+ SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 202-238 (54 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 162-192 (43.3 - 51.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 204-240 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 228-270 (75.7 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 211-250 (56.4 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (keep in mind that this is one of the strongest attacks in the metagame)

+1 252+ SpA Porygon2 Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 368-434 (129.1 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Porygon2 is a very reliable setter of Trick Room that is also remarkably bulky and strong and can choose its checks between its expansive coverage options.

A second nomination in one post:

Reuniclus @ Life Orb (can be Leftovers)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def (can be physically defensive)
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover / Psyshock
- Psyshock / Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Calm Mind

Reuniclus is extremely strong and is also able to consistently set up Trick Room thanks to its overall good bulk which allows it to take some hits. Physically defensive could be used albeit at a significant decrease in power but allows you to eat hits way better, and therefore more reliably setup Trick Room. Reuniclus is also incredibly slow which means it outspeeds basically the entire metagame under Trick Room and it destroys offensive teams that lack bulk to take extremely strong hits. The set is quite flexible depending on what the team needs; Calm Mind is extremely dangerous against more passive teams that lack ways to deal significant damage to it. (i.e Dugtrio Stall) Reuniclus has a pretty bad case of four moveslot syndrome: it really wishes it could run Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Calm Mind, and Recover all on one set but still is a very solid user of Trick Room and should be considered.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Taking Hoopa Unbound edition

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

This is a rather interesting Trick Room setter and abuser due to it's relatively high Speed (148 min) and poor physical bulk but what sets this thing apart from other bulky setters (Cress p2) or frail abusers is its high special bulk with Max HP investment. It's able to take a lot of strong hits (Charizard-Y's Fire Blasts, Stallbreaker/Scarf Lele's Moonblasts) and use Trick Room to wreck havoc with its insane Special Attack coupled with a Life Orb and support teammates.

Last edited:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Brave Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Under Trick Room, Crawdaunt can be an extremely potent threat. Very few Pokemon in OU enjoy switching into Crawdaunt's Adaptability-boosted STAB combination, and even fewer can resist its attacks after it sets up a Swords Dance. Not only that, Crawdaunt also has priority in the form of Aqua Jet, allowing Crawdaunt to function outside of Trick Room to revenge kill weakened Pokemon on the opponent's team, or to carry a Swords Dance boost obtained under Trick Room and continue wreaking havoc on opposing teams. Crawdaunt also enjoys the benefits of Trick Room allowing it to max out its HP, which helps it survive a decent number of physical priority hits or neutral hits from less powerful threats.

Reactions: BM

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Fighting / Energy Ball / Memento

Cofagrigus is not only a TR setter, but also TR abuser. In fact, with its nice physical bulk, Cofagrigus is able well able to sponge physical hits before setting up a Nasty Plot (if necessary) and Trick Room. It also can cripple opposing mons with Will-O-Wisp or Memento to soften physical hits and safely bring another TR abuser/setter on the field. Aside from those two moves, even though Ghost-type moves are incredibly good offensively (as recently proved by Gengar), Cofagrigus might want additional coverage in the form of HP Fighting or even Energy Ball to OHKO Dark- and Water-types respectively at +2.

Edit: Added Ghostium Z as a possible item to enable Cofagrigus to nail certain OHKOs it normally wouldn't:
For example,

+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 153-180 (53.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 306-360 (107.3 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

and

+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 135-160 (37.1 - 44%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 271-319 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

etc.

Last edited:

AbrarWasee

formerly Train All
Reserving Tyranitar.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake / Superpower

Choice Band Tyranitar is an incredibly powerful wallbreaker, capable of destroying defensive builds due to its stellar Attack stat. Its ability Sand Stream gives it a boost in Special Defense, combined with a naturally good Defense, lets it tank some neutral hits too. The only problem it has is it's lackluster base 61 Speed. Using it in a Trick Room team solves that. Now this thing becomes a beast which is also destructive against offense. Stone Edge and Crunch are the dual stabs which has good neutral coverage. Pursuit is extremely powerful, and can OHKO the likes of Tapu Lele should they decide to switch out. It also helps deal with other Trick Room users. Earthquake is the preferred option in this set as it lets it hit Magearna and Klefki hard. Superpower could be used for things like Breloom, Bewear, Porygon2 etc. Maximum Attack with an positive Nature and Choice Band lets it hit obscenely hard. Due to being in a Trick Room team, a negative nature and 0 IVs lets it out slow most foes. The remainder EVs are invested in Special Defense to tank Special hits even better. I honestly believe it is a must try if you are building a Trick Room team.

Last edited:
Edit: my bad, didn't see that it needed to be a sweeper or wallbreaker. Lol . Break those walls with memento

Uxie

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: I'm bad at EV. Go bulk account for common leads
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Yawn

I was turn between this and whimsicott. This is about as good as a trick room lead gets. Turn one set rocks. Turn 2, trick room. Turn 3 memento and bring in the heavy hitters. If it's a defensive threat, yawn them turn 2 and trick room on 3. If you're getting 2HKOd, trick room turn one and then SR turn 2. Only hoops and crawdaunt OHKO this thing

Why this and not jirachi/celebi? Uxie gets memento, while thosetwo don't. Healing wish is a weak pivot when you have nothing to heal. By all means, use a healing wish setter (or lunar dance cress) midgame, but uxie is the best setter lead.

Last edited:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Teams that might have run Azumarill for its defensive typing in the past are now running Tapu Fini as their utility slot, but its Belly Drum set still puts out damage, and it really loves that Quagsire isn't as common as it was in ORAS. Trick Room brings out its full potential, letting it circumvent its conventional offensive checks (read: faster Aqua Jet tankers) like Greninja, Tapu Lele, Keldeo, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Gyarados, Salamence, and Latios. It's also nice as a Trick Room sweeper that, with priority, can still clean up outside of TR.

92 Speed EVs and an Adamant nature let it outspeed uninvested Celesteela outside of Trick Room, as well as Clefable (Unaware is 2HKOed by Play Rough), Chansey, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, and Toxapex, which Minimum Speed Azu needs TR up to handle. It's still slow enough to fuck up all of its offensive checks under Trick Room, of course.

Normalium Z is better than Sitrus Berry in a vacuum, but Trick Room should really be using its Z slot on a nuke or lure to make the most of its limited turns, and Sitrus Berry is still serviceable.

Crabominable @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Brave Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

This cute li'l guy needs more love. Iron Fist-boosted Ice Hammer coming from LO 132+ Atk hits like a truck, and PuP can be used to snowball and effectively break anything that would want to switch into it. Getting to +1 is very important should you want Crabbo to break Tapu Fini, as it unfortunately resists both of your STABs and does a ton with Moonblast. Its base speed is absolute garbage so it manages to underspeed lots of slower pokémon. It has below-average bulk and thus should be used mostly to break walls early game or to sweep late-game, both of these things become much easier if you manage to get off a PuP.

252+ Atk Life Orb Crabominable Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 172-203 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Crabominable Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 161-191 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 46.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Scribble

formerly Dartrix - Joker
is a Contributor to Smogon
Seeing as how the person who reserved Mawile posted the reservation on Tuesday and it was not completed within 24 hours, I'll take Mega Mawile for myself if I'm able to.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang / Swords Dance

With the highest Attack stat in the game, Mega Mawile can instantly threaten nearly any Pokemon. Unfortunately, it's held back by its abysmal speed stat...but that means it's ideal to abuse Trick Room with. Trick Room teams normally don't utilize a mega, so Mawile should have no problem fitting into one. Play Rough is the main STAB attack of choice, hitting like a truck. Sucker Punch allows Mawile to threaten threats to it after Trick Room wears off. Thunder Punch is for Toxapex/Skarmory/Celesteela. Trick Room only lasts 4 turns, so using Swords Dance may seem like a waste considering Mawile's Attack is already sky high unboosted and can kill many mons with some chip, so Fire Fang is in the last slot to hit Ferrothorn/Mega Scizor. Swords Dance is slashed, as it's just preference as to which move you want.​

Last edited:

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate
- Hidden Power Ground / Shadow Ball / Energy Ball

Despite having an actually respectable 100 base Speed, Victini utterly destroys offensive teams under Trick Room. V-create is not only a stupidly powerful nuke, it also turns into a Speed boost under Trick Room, allowing Victini to "outspeed" all but the slowest of walls after a single use. The rest of the moves offer great coverage and are powerful enough to knock out most offensive threats. Bolt Strike hits most bulky waters that resist V-create hard, and with Victory Star its shaky accuracy becomes reliable. Glaciate is Victini's best Ice-type move, and is a guaranteed OHKO against the likes of Salamence, Garchomp and Landorus-Therian, and very nearly OHKOs offensive Zygarde. The Speed drop isn't relevant because anything that you would click Glaciate on will still have higher Speed than +/-0 Victini. The last slot goes to patching up specific weaknesses to the set. HP Ground hits Heatran and Mega-X Charizard, Shadow Ball is a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock on offensive Marowak-Alola, who otherwise can take a V-create and KO back with Shadow Bone, and Energy Ball can 2HKO physically defensive Rotom-W, who otherwise avoids being 2HKO'd by V-create and threatens a Hydro Pump. Note that only 252 Speed variants are outsped by Victini under TR without a V-create Speed drop. Max offensive stats are to hit as hard as possible on both spectrums, and any additional bulk after the SpA required to OHKO Dragons with Glaciate isn't worth it considering V-create undermines its bulk anyway.

Although Victini can set Trick Room, it prefers having another team member set it up and instead have an additional coverage move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)