Korea Competing in VGC 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that the Japanese players are not big on forums, either. They actually prefer to do all of their strategizing in small groups of IRL friends. While I can't say anything about what the Koreans will bring to the table, I don't think it should be based on anything you find on the internet.
QFT^
If you look at some interviews from past Japanese champions, people like Tsuguyoshi Yamato and his group of 10ish friends call themselves the "Achamo's" aka torchic's and they get together and just playtest everything!

The Japanese are doing something right - they do VERY well every year in both TCG and VGC.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, first time posting in Smogon after just purely lurking, and I've looked at the site posted in the EDIT: 4th post, not OP out of curiosity. I'm a Korean who can speak and read Korean pretty well, so I took a look at their forums etc, but they don't really seem to talk about battling very much. Most of the posts there are about trading event pokemon or dream world pokemon. They have a pretty cool looking pokedex and type charts, but other than that, I don't see any tier list or strategy analysis or anything. Nintendo products honestly aren't that big there, so I didn't really expect much, but you guys should probably not expect that much from them.

Ok, looking at their fancy flash pokedex, it's really a barebones pokedex that you find in the game, without stats or movepools or anything. Oh boy -_- there are even topics about how this one high schooler was nagged on by her parents because she was playing pokemon. I'm also seeing pages of people just talking about their national exams. Guys, I'm guessing if you're gonna see anybody from Korea, they're probably just people taking the game casually. Though you might actually see a few pretty interesting strategies, I wouldn't go out of my way to prepare for the unexpected.

Oh my goodness, so many people are commentating about how they only use legendaries >.> Unbelievable, a lot of koreans like Regigigas. If worst comes to worst, most of the people (not all) that came from Korea to compete probably won't be able to because they brought a team full of banned pokemon >.> Kinda disappointing actually. I was excited to see some interesting stuff.
I think you'll find that most english speaking forums are littered with near identical posts and comments the majority of the time. That's no indication of an entire nation's ability.

QFT^
If you look at some interviews from past Japanese champions, people like Tsuguyoshi Yamato and his group of 10ish friends call themselves the "Achamo's" aka torchic's and they get together and just playtest everything!

The Japanese are doing something right - they do VERY well every year in both TCG and VGC.
Yeah. They don't copy a good team and spam it on the Skarmbliss VGC server of PO together.

Korea in Worlds this year signals to me there is more in Worlds this year then before. I do reckon Korea will bring something to this metagame in the space of mystery, whether they will be good or not doesn't matter, just having their presence at worlds this year is great to hear.

I do hope this isn't the only country added to Worlds this year, it's a shame that Australia get VGC11 tournaments but no invite to Worlds, isn't this a bit like what Spain got in 2009?

Hoping to see more countries at this year's VGC11 if not then expect Australia in 2012 hopefully.

Woot Korea :D

Oh my goodness, so many people are commentating about how they only use legendaries >.> Unbelievable, a lot of koreans like Regigigas. If worst comes to worst, most of the people (not all) that came from Korea to compete probably won't be able to because they brought a team full of banned pokemon >.> Kinda disappointing actually. I was excited to see some interesting stuff.
As a half Korean I also like Regigigas for some odd reason...not that I actually use it in competition, but something about it is so neat (then again, could also be because that's my main TCG deck, but who knows).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)