DPP OU Kovin (Suspect RMT)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Kovin

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Introduction:
Yes, Kevin Garrett made me use this name

So yeah, I’ve posted Uber teams, and I have posted OU Teams. But this time, instead of going forward and backward from the cycle of OU and Ubers, I went for Suspect. It is a great metagame, with things moving along faster and having bigger holes to exploit. This is an excellent metagame for new gimmicks to thrive, due to more centralization (remember guys centralization is not necessarily bad!). However, I don’t have much time in my hands to create a lot of gimmicks to use =(

Instead, I took my original Stage 3 team, threw in Latias over Latios, threw Haban on Garchomp, and edited the set a bit. The team worked surprisingly well, netting me the #1 spot on the Suspect Leaderboard (as Cicada) in just three days (coincidentally, Stage 3)! As we currently speak, I have 1638 CRE on that alt. I also have another alt in the top 15…but enough bragging!

The team acts as an anti-metagame of sorts, with entry hazards absolutely decimating well…almost everything the metagame focuses on. It starts out slowly, then I slowly accelerate as entry hazards are put down, then more as Garchomp is brought out closer to the end of the game. Despite the overall bulk of this team, it actually moves a bit faster than you’d think.

SAY HI!

THE INSIDE SCOOP

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Payback
- Low Kick
---

Tyranitar may not be the best lead in the metagame, but I honestly don’t have any other choices as far as this team goes. And as a lead itself, it isn’t bad, and often gets rocks early with plenty of health to spare. With Sandstorm on turn one, expect things to get whittled down quickly as it cancels out the non-immune Pokemon’s Leftovers recoveries, whereas only two of my Pokemon are hurt by the sand.

The moveset might be strange, so I’ll explain it to you. Stealth Rock is obvious. Ice Beam catches Garchomps trying to set up. It doesn’t OHKO, but it does with SR + Spikes down. Since Garchomps tend to come around during late game, most of the time I have entry hazards down. Late game Garchomps also tend to set up unlike early game chomps, and are easily taken down by Ice Beam. Payback is a STAB move that takes advantage of Tyranitar’s low Speed, and helps me deal with Latias. It is chosen over Crunch as the extra power does help, and two crunches with a def drop on the initial hit has the same damage output as Payback anyways. Low Kick is an odd move for me to use, but I needed to cover Magnet Rise Magnezone and hit Heatran at the same time. I don’t like Superpower’s lowering Atk/Def side effect, especially when a Garchomp swaps into it. Garchomp can OHKO a -1 Def Ttar with EQ, but won’t OHKO this one. Of course, lowering my attack against a Magnezone means the next Pokemon can swap in and take less damage from Payback. Low Kick is especially useful in decimating other TTar leads.

I decided that I’d go on the defensive route for TTar. Simply put, TTar is an all-purpose Pokemon. It eats up Starmies, Heatrans and Latiases and whatnot, so I maxed out its Special Defensive capabilities. I am too lazy (unfortunately) to calculate stuff so it’s currently with 252/6/252. I purposely didn’t put any speed EVs in there because I want to hurt Blissey with maximum power using Payback. People sometimes underestimate how sturdy this thing is – it took 42% from a Life Orb Starmie’s Surf a while ago! Forget weaknesses. TTar has roughly double Special defensive capability as a max/max careful scizor.

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Surf
---

In the loss of Latios during this Stage I have placed in Latias, and she performs her job just as good as her brother’s (no lie). The moveset is fairly obvious (right??): Draco Meteor for insane power, Surf for coverage, and Thunderbolt for Skarmories. Trick is for stall teams who think they can wall Latias with Blissey. Later on in the game, she and Rotom-H clean up the remnants of the waste.

Latias does a lot for this team. Firstly and most importantly, it checks the supercommon Garchomp, who dies straight up from Draco Meteor regardless of Haban berry (unless you are elevator_music -__-). It also holds the team against the ever-so-dangerous Manaphy and otherwise just decimates a lot of stuff for the rest of the team to clean up. She helps handle Infernape and is the team’s Water resist. Although she tends to become Pursuit bait, the entry hazards on this field often ensure that one Pokemon dies before she goes to waste (unless that Pokemon is a suicide bait >_>).

Latias may not have been as powerful as Latios is during Stage 3, but considering her role in the team her extra defenses prove handy as she will be switching into attacks quite a bit. She is still subjected to Sandstorm damage unfortunately, but eh I can’t have everything.

(Current thought on Latias: OU)

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell

Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/40 Spd/216 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

---
Skarmory is perhaps the team’s MOST important member, even more than Latias, due to its resistances and bulk, and of course, SPIKES. Now as some of you probably know, Spikestacking is my favorite technique, and for a good reason: it helps control what they switch in. Double switching is very hard under Spikes (unless you’re a levitator…), and you’d lose lot of health if you get outpredicted. This forces the opponent into playing more conservatively and therefore easier to exploit. Skarmory is the definition of the anti-metagame Pokemon in Staage 3, both times.

“Special Defensive Skarmory?? Are you mad? Stage 3 part one is over! There is no need for that much Special defense…”

Or so you’d probably think.

Although Garchomp is a looming threat, we can’t just ignore the other two suspects. Manaphy loves swapping into Skarmory, only to find out Surf doesn’t do TOO much damage and it whirlwinded out (if it tail glows them sucks to be them). Latias is forced to use Thunderbolt/HP Fire to stop it, as Skarmory shrugs off Draco Meteor and Surf with ease. If Latias for whatever reason tries to Calm Mind, it’ll lose even more. The extra Special defense also helps Skarmory land Spikes MUCH easier on stuff like Flamethrower Blissey, while not losing too much of its physical defensive ability due to its fantastic typing and Roost.

I originally had Leftovers instead of Shed Shell, but I realized that I DON’T want to lose two Pokemon to Magnezone. I reluctantly stuck Shed Shell on Skarm and I miss the recovery 

Rotom-h @ Leftovers

EVs: 248 HP/220 Def/40 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Rest / Pain Split / Reflect ?????
---

Spinblocker. Gyarados stopper. Explosion absorber. Fighting absorber (Latias sucks at taking repeated Close Combats). It a general pain in the butt.

With that said, not much else needs to be explained about Rotom. Thunderbolt for STAB, Will-o-Wisp to burn stuff and Shadow Ball to hit Latias switch ins. I have never actually used Rest (except against Jirachi at one point), but it was Reyscarface’s idea. It might help at some point against Blisseys though.

I must admit I didn’t put any thought into the EV spread unlike I usually do. 248 HP EVs instead of 252 due to Sandstorm. Then I focused on physical bulk for Gyarados’ annoying Waterfalls. I should probably add more SDef to handle Starmie easier, but meh I dunno how to fix the EV spread…or the last moveslot

Rotom-H also helps Latias in breaking stall, by burning Hippowdons, Thunderbolting Skarmories and everything else, really. As if Blissey can wall it after I tricked away its Leftovers…

Garchomp (M) @ Haban Berry

Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
---

What is a suspect team without this?

Garchomp is a very powerful Pokemon, and is the center of the Stage 3 metagame. This is a straightforward “stat up then kill” set because it is simply the best. Haban Berry is an awesome item that allows me to survive assaults from other Garchomps in dire times, as well as non Specs Latiases. It originally was Leftovers during the first portion of Stage 3. Sand Veil is also a cool bonus

Aside from filling in Suspect EXP and being a powerhouse, Garchomp serves as the team’s rock resist and checks Lucario, who I have problems with otherwise (and still do). However, the only time he ever comes into the early-mid game is when it is needed to get rid of certain threats.

Garchomp is a great sweeper towards the end, but has troubles pulling off a kill in the early game. Most of the time, I would Dragon Claw away at a Heatran or Magnezone early game and often catch their Latias. However, it sucks when a Skarmory comes out instead of Latias (and even worse if they DO end up having a Latias after all…oh wait both are in my team >_<). I only use Earthquake when I feel confident.

Dragon Claw is chosen over Outrage because I don’t like to be locked and be open to revenge kills. Although it loses a large amount of power, getting locked is way worse when their Latias or Scizor comes out and finishes Chomp off >_>. Fire Fang is picked over Fire Blast because it gets boosted with Swords Dance and doesn’t get walled by SDef Skarmory. Plus, I hate Fire Blast’s accuracy. The EVs are pretty much standard, but since Garchomp isn’t always going to be setting up I focused on maxing attack to dish out maximum damage.

(Current thought on Garchomp : OU)

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

---

Scizor supports the team with the ever-so important priority, as well as being a second Steel-type.

“Choice Band Scizor doesn’t work in this metagame” – reachzero. And I am tempted to agree actually. Magnezone loves eating up Scizors (worst if they have SubChargebeam). I swapped out into Swords Dancer for a while, but I realized there was stuff that the Swords Dancer couldn’t do.

I found the Starmie weakness on this team to be disturbing, and Swords Dance Scizor really hurts me against that. I just want to get rid of it ASAP with Pursuit, then re set up all entry hazards later. There are more than just Starmie that the extra boost that comes in Choice Band is needed – it can smack mid-health Garchomps ( hello Spikes + SR – in case Latias couldn’t get rid of Chomp the first time due to Tyranitar swapping in or whatever), as well as finish off Lucario better. U-turn abuses Spikes/SR, while Superpower is practically a last ditch attack against a Skarmory.

The EVs are once again the byproduct of laziness. 248 HP because max HP is terrible, especially with Spikes flying everywhere. Max Attack for power.

Scizor is unfortunately not as good as he is in the OU metagame. Skarmory is quite common and sponges its attacks easily, putting Spikes up in the process and limiting the times it can come in.

With that I hope this team is not TOO bog standard of a suspect team. But if it is then it would be a bog standard that got into #1.

Threat List:
Due to my laziness I stole this from elevator_music's RMT. If you are reading up to this, I recommend that you also look at his team.

- Garchomp: Other than the fact that Garchomp has a fairly tough time setting up on the team, I've got Latias to quickly dispatch it with Draco Meteor (I guess relying on 72% accuracy isn't so reliable but I don't care). Skarmory can survive a hit and blow it away, with Spikes keeping Chomp in check. Scizor can Bullet Punch those in mid-low health. In dire situations, my Habanchomp can help.
- Scizor: CB versions dislike Skarmory - and Spikes make it extremely tough to U-turn spam. Rotom-H deals with the rest, and Garchomp can Fire Fang for the kill
- Latias: I can fairly safely switch in Tyranitar and absorb whatever is thrown - TTar takes ~39% from LO Grass Knot so expect me to be able to swap him in a couple of times. Scizor can help with Pursuiting, but HP Fire variants are common >_<. Skarmory can eat up Choice Specs Draco Meteor in the case of Ttar's death
- Tyranitar: This is pretty tough. Garchomp can absorb 64% accuracy Stone Edges, while Skarmory can take on Crunches. My Tyranitar can Low Kick other TTar leads. However, it gets annoying when the TTar moves over to a mixed set, because the former two become unreliable.
- Manaphy: Latias is my safest check, taking Surfs and returning the blow with a Thunderbolt (or Draco Meteor if I sense that they have Wacan). Other than that Manaphy has an incredibly tough time setting up.
- Metagross: Is torn apart by Skarmory for the most part. Rotom-H helps a lot too. Mixgross can't hurt sdef Skarm too much either and Garchomp can deal massive damage with Earthquake
- Gyarados: Rotom-H and Latias do their jobs here
- Skarrmory: Super annoying Pokemon, and Skarmory + Latias is even more annoying (as I mentioned in the Garchomp section), because Latias will force ttar out and then Skarmory can set up Spikes. Rotom-H and Latias can quickly dispatch of Skarmory, and last Pokemon Garchomp can set up on Taunt/Whirlwind variants lol
- Heatran: Between Latias, Tyranitar, and Garchomp, and Spikes, Heatran doesn't enjoy the team much at all. However, Tormenttran is extremely annoying
- Magnezone can be a problem due to magnet pull against Scizor. SubCharge Beam is annoying, but +2 Thunderbolt only manages a maximum of 43% (from a Timid Magnezone) against Tyranitar. In return, Magnezone eats a Low Kick.
- Rotom-a: Uhh Tyranitar and Latias? Scizor can swap into predicted Tricks and Pursuit it to death
- Jirachi: Can be a pain to fight against. Skarmory sets up Spikes on physical variants, while Rotom-H walls the same set to an extent. Garchomp can finish weakened Rachis with Earthquake. Tyranitar may be of some help against SubCM variants, with Payback dealing a minimum of 34% damage.
- Lucario: One of the most threatening Pokemon to the team. It can force Garchomp out early to stop it. Rotom-H can take on a Close Combat, then swap to Garchomp to take the Crunch and hopefully kill it. However, that is pretty risky as Luke can swap out, and then find a way back in and set up and OHKO everything. Perhaps Scarf Rotom could help here...
- Starmie: Is a pretty serious threat, by being faster than everything and 2HKOing them all. However, it is often not going to take down more than one Poke due to Scizor and Tyranitar. Rotom-H may be sacrificed in the process to prevent Rapid Spinning. Note that I am talking about LO Starmie. Normal Starmies don't pose anywhere as much threat
- Azelf: Tyranitar go! (For leadzelfs). Nasty Plotter dies to Scizor (if weakened enough), and Latias
-
Infernape : I have Latias and Garchomp to deal with it, but they can't take constant beatings. I will often try to catch infernape switch ins with Brave Bird
- Blissey: Well I have Skarmory to set up everything on her. Garchomp is immune to Thunder Wave and deals massive dmage with EQ. Scizor is immune to Toxic and can Superpower.
- Bronzong: Skarmory easily sets up Spikes on it. Rotom-H can wall Bronzong too
- Celebi: The amount of Celebis in the suspect ladder is depressingly low. They can be taken down by Skarmory (unless they have LO HP Fire), and Tyranitar. Garchomp can set up after Celebi has Leaf Stormed something for the kill, or via prediction. Latias can Draco Meteor it as well, but must be careful of Thunder Wave
- Swampert: Most Swamperts will Stealth Rock on turn one. This will allow TTar to get rocks up too, and then I can switch into Skarmory to take the inevitable Earthquake, then set up Spikes. Latias can take it down with Draco Meteor if it becomes too much of a threat, but it won't
- Roserade: I usually have Rotom-H take the Sleep Powder, then swap back into TTar and set up Rocks as it sets up TS. Leaf Storm does slightly >50%, but I'm willing to take it because I want rocks up. Skarmory can also use its boosted SDef to set up against Roserade

- Salamence: Actually quite different from Garchomp. Mixed variants will give trouble unless it doesn't have Brick Break. With Stealth Rock and Sandstorm on the field, Salamence dies fairly quickly, but it can heave gaping holes when it is alive. Latias can swap into predicted NVE moves and OHKO it, Skarmory can be used as a last ditch effort against the Dragon Dancer. Scizor revenges the DDer. Garchomp is faster and OHKOes with DClaw unless they have Haban Berry too (Coronis -_-).
- Gengar: I usually have to sacrifice something, but Tyranitar is a good inital switch. Scizor can dispatch it with Bullet Punch, but must beware of HP Fire. Latias is faster than HP Fire vairants and kills it. Garchomp can survive a hit and kill it off too, but that's a last resort thing
- Suicune: Latias is my initial switch in - Specs Thunderbolt + Sand can hurt Suicune really badly even through Calm Minds. Trick can completely mess up Suicune, although I doubt anything on the team enjoys Choice Specs Surf...
- Forretress: Rotom-H can spinblock, with precautions agaisnt Payback though. It is Fire Fanged by Garchomp too
- Vaporeon: Is pretty easily handled by Skarmory (who shrugs off Surf), Latias, and Rotom-H. I can also set up on non-Ice Beam variants with Garchomp, though I dislike doing so.
- Zapdos: Is pretty hard to switch into, but I usually go to Tyranitar first. Latias can dispatch of Zappy with Draco Meteor, but must be careful as Zapdos CAN roost off the meteor and make Latias miserable. Rotom can help against Zapdos to an extent, though Heat Wave can hurt. SubToxic Zapdos is extremely painful to deal with
- Kingdra: Dangerous Pokemon. Latias can be used to bait Outrage where Skarmory can come in to sponge the hits. Scizor can take one blow and severely hurt Kingdra with U-turn or something...I don't know. Choice Specs Kingdra in the rain is almost like kryptonite to the team, however. All that said, it has a lot of trouble finding a time to set up
- Aerodactyl: I just straight up Payback it because it can Taunt me to prevent rocks. Ice Beam does way less damage to Dactyl than Payback due to Sandstorm. Against the rare CBer, Garchomp can take Stone Edge
- Gliscor: I swap in Skarmory to figure out whatever set it has, hoping I don't meet up with the SDpasser (though dual screens can sometimes make it obvious). Taunt/Toxic/EQ/Roost is really annoying though, but I can handle it with Tyranitar and its Ice Beam sometimes. Latias helps too with Specs Surf
- Mamoswine: Should I SR, or should I switch? That's what I run into against Leadswines, like Leadapes =\. Skarmory can set up Spikes on it. Scizor can Bullet Punch for the kill, while Rotom-H can wall it to an extent
- Snorlax: Skarmory can set up Spikes and Whirlwind it away. Latias can Trick Choice Specs at it. Last Pokemon Snorlaxes are often too weakened to move on.
- Empoleon: Lead Empoleon loses to Tyranitar's Low Kicks and high SDef. SubPetaya Empoleon, however, can set up to a potential sweep since I have nothing to stop it (unless Latias is at full health). This is another reason to consider Scarfrotom, since it can outrun +2 Empoleon
- Hippowdon: Hi, my name is Skarmory. I can Spike and can outphaze you. Hi, my name is Rotom-H. I can burn you.
- Weavile: Is beaten solidly by Scizor and Skarmory.
- Jolteon: LO Jolteon during lategame is annoying as I only have Tyranitar to stop it. Luckily, it is frail and residual damage ends it quickly. Specs Jolteon is a joke
- Smeargle: Uhh....???
- Cresselia: Tyranitar is my initial switchin to Cresselia. CM variants are rather easily taken down due to Cresselia's poor recovery+limited coverage. Reflect variants are slightly harder to beat, but still Tyranitar does fine.
- Tyranitar can replace the hail with sand, but can not switch in due to Wood Hammer. Scizor resists both STABs and packs three Supereffective Attacks.
- Machamp: I dislike fighting this Pokemon. It OHKOes like everything bar Skarmory and Rotom, both which are heavily dented. However, it is slow and I have Pokemon that outrun it...

*************************************************************************************************

THINGS IN CONSIDERATION

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 164 HP/92 SpA/252 Spe (Or maybe go with standard 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe to KO Infernape when it's @ 70%.)
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/Overheat

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great Team Jibaku, I can't find any real glaring weaknesses.

You do however have a bit of a weakness to Lucario. Only Chomp can stop it, which it does a fine job, but Chomp will likely be weakened, and I'm sure its not really that good only having a single check to something as dangerous as Lucario. Scarfing Rotom would fix this problem, and you would still cover Gyarados, so thats something you could try. It also lets you revenge kill Infernape if Latias gets Pursuited.

If you're opting on scarfing Rotom-H, then the EV spread and move-set below might be plausible.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 164 HP/92 SpA/252 Spe (Or maybe go with standard 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe to KO Infernape when it's @ 70%.)
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/Overheat

The 92 SpA EV will always net your Rotom-H a OHKO on the standard Rapid Spinner Starmie provided you had set up the Stealth Rock, as the minimum damage dealt by Thunderbolt is at around 88% and Tyranitar's Sandstream will be chipping off the Leftovers recovery.

The lack of Overheat is relatively fine if Rotom-H can simply trick Choice Scarf on Lucario, as Crunch won't be doing much to Skarmory and Scizor. But with Overheat I suppose it's an instant check-up, although the Spec. attack drop will give off a free set up for the opponent. Then again you could simply play a mind game with Lucario. If it's going to Crunch, then Skarmory switches in. If Close Combat's coming up, then Rotom-H. And eventually Lucario will predicted wrong and does either ineffective Crunch/CC and loses. In the latter case, Skarmory would simply WW its boosts out, while Rotom-H would simply T-Bolt it to death as it get out-sped.

Edit: Okay, never mind about the status issue. You've added the explanation in your threat list.

Hello, this is my bump.

Like many suspect teams, I think you'll be running into problems against Life Orb Starmie, Lucario, and enemy Haban Berry Garchomp. The only Pokemon you have that can kind of switch into a Starmie's Hydro Pump is Latias, but you will die next turn to Ice Beam. More likely than not, Starmie will end up missing a Hydro Pump are dieing to Life Orb / Sandstorm damage, but I think it be better to revenge kill Starmie more reliably. Much similarly, you can't really switch into Lucario all that well, as Close Combat will really hurt Garchomp if you try to come in, while a boosted Crunch will kill Rotom-H. Changing Rotom-H to a Choice Scarf Rotom-H will solve a lot of problems actually, like Ronin pointed out.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid / EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Overheat / Hidden Power Ice or Trick

Rotom-H checks a lot of Pokemon for you, Lucario, Garchomp, Starmie, Kingdra, etc. With Skarmory and Latias, I can't imagine you having too many problems with Gyarados even without a defensive Rotom-H. Hidden Power Ice, although it will never OHKO Garchomp, it still does a hefty amount, enough to kill after Stealth Rock and some Spikes.

Some other smaller thing I would try is Lum Berry on Tyranitar, helping a lot against the rare Roserade and Smeargle lead. Although you probably need an Adamant nature to actually OHKO Roserade. I would also try Taunt on Skarmory over Brave Bird, which will help a lot with the Speed you've given him against Skarmory and even Swampert trying to Roar or Stealth Rock on you, as well as Bronzong using Hypnosis.

Just a little nitpick from me, but with Latias looming over, have you considered the Special Defensive EV Spread for Scizor?

160 HP / 176 Attack / 4 Spe / 168 SpD

Much better at taking beatings from Scarf Latias's, and only losing 10% overall attacking power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)