Krookodile (Analysis)

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approved: 2/2
GP Approved: 2/2

[Overview]

<p>Krookodile is one of the two Pokemon that receive the ability Intimidate, the other being Stoutland. Of these, Krookodile has a better typing, STAB attacks, and overall base stats. Intimidate is one of the best abilities in VGC 2011 because it lowers the Attack of both opposing Pokemon. Strong physical attackers like Conkeldurr, Scrafty, and Tornadus shake with fear when Krookodile steps on to the field. This makes Krookodile a great choice for most teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Intimidate
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Rock Slide / Low Sweep
move 4: Protect / Low Sweep
item: Chople Berry
nature: Adamant
ability: Intimidate
evs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Krookodile has two of the best STAB attacks in VGC. Earthquake smacks around all Pokemon on the field, and the STAB boost compensates for the power drop of spread attacks. Crunch hits the myriad of Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage. Rock Slide KOes Flying-type Pokemon, and offers good coverage along with Krookodile's other moves. Low Sweep is rather situational, but it does help against Hydreigon and Virizion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using a 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 EV spread outpaces neutral natured 252 Speed Chandelure. Running maximum Speed on Krookodile only outspeeds neutral natured 252 Speed Excadrill, and ties with Leavanny. Both of these Pokemon are rarely seen outside of weather, so running maximum Speed on Krookodile is wasteful.</p>

<p>Flying-type Pokemon are the best teammates for Krookodile. Special mention goes to Thundurus, who can form a potent combo with Krookodile, as each Pokemon is immune to the other's STAB attack. Thundurus can also cripple support Pokemon with Taunt. Virizion resists both of Krookodile's STAB attacks, and can hit back with a super effective STAB attack of its own. Bisharp receives an Attack boost from Intimidate, but is outsped and KOed by Earthquake. Choice Scarf Jellicent is another fantastic check to Krookodile, as Water Spout will easily OHKO Krookodile when Jellicent is at full health.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Running 252 Speed EVs along with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature helps Krookodile to outspeed Choice Scarf Vanilluxe, at the cost of reliability and some bulk. This set can 2HKO the genies with Rock Slide, OHKO Choice Scarf Chandelure, and outspeed the few Ice-type Pokemon in VGC 2011. In terms of move choices, Trickery is a very situational move, and most of the time Crunch is a better choice. Dark Gem can power up Crunch in order to do massive damage to common Trick Room users, but this job is generally better performed by Golurk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Krookodile can't do much to Amoonguss, one of the biggest threats in VGC 2011. Even Rock Slide cannot take down Mandibuzz, who can easily stall out Krookodile with Toxic and Roost. Conkeldurr can 2HKO Krookodile with its STAB Fighting-type attacks. Another check to Krookodile is Escavalier, who takes negligent damage from all of the crocodile's moves and KOes it in return with STAB Megahorn.</p>

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

QC Approved: 2/2
GP Approved: 0/2

[Overview]

<p>Krookodile is one of the two Pokemon that receive the ability Intimidate, the other being Stoutland. Between Of these two Pokemon, Krookodile has better typing, STAB attacks, and overall stats. Intimidate is one of the best abilities in VGC 2011 because it lowers the Attack of both opposing Pokemon. Strong physical attackers like Conkeldurr, Scrafty, and Tornadus shake with fear when Krookodile steps on to the field of battle. This makes Krookodile extremely useful on most teams.</p>

[SET]
Name: Intimidation
Move 1: Crunch
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Rock Slide / Low Sweep
Move 4: Protect / Low Sweep
Item: Chople Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Krookodile has two of the best STAB attacks in VGC. Earthquake smacks around all Pokemon on the field, and STAB compensates for the power drop of multi target attacks. Crunch is the best option for the myriad of Ghost- and Psychic-types. Flying-type Pokemon are generally not OHKOed by Crunch, so Rock Slide is a solid choice. Low Sweep is rather situational, but it does help against Hydreigon and Virizion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 EVs outpaces neutral 252 Speed Chandelure. Maximum Speed on Krookodile only outspeeds neutral max Speed Excadrill and ties with Leavanny. Both of these Pokemon are rarely seen outside of weather, so maximum Speed on Krookodile is wasteful.</p>

<p>Flying-type Pokemon are the best teammates for Krookodile. Special mention goes to Thundurus, who can form a Discharge and Earthquake combo, as well as stopping support Pokemon with Taunt. As for counters, Virizion resists both of Krookodile's STAB attacks and hits back with a super effective STAB attack of its own. Bisharp receives +1 Attack from Intimidate, but it is outsped and KOed by Earthquake. Choice Scarf Jellicent is another fantastic check to Krookodile, as Water Spout will easily OHKO at full HP.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Using an Adamant nature with a Choice Scarf outspeeds every unboosted Pokemon;(semi colon) maximum Speed EVs are a good choice here, as they outspeed Choice Scarf Vanilluxe. This set can 2HKO the genies with Rock Slide, OHKO Choice Scarf Chandelure, and outspeed the few Ice-type Pokemon in VGC 2011. In terms of move choices, Trickery is a very situational move, and most of the time Crunch is a better choice.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Krookodile can't do much to Amoonguss, one of the biggest threats in VGC 2011. Even Rock Slide are not isn't enough to take down Mandibuzz, who easily Toxic stalls Krookodile. Conkeldurr has enough power to 2HKO Krookodile with a STAB move of choice. Another check to Krookodile is Escavalier, who takes negligent damage from all of the crocodile's moves and returns fire with the powerful Megahorn.</p>

Edit
Remove

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Krookodile is one of the two Pokemon that receive the ability Intimidate, the other being Stoutland. Of these Pokemon, Krookodile has a better typing, STAB attacks, and overall base stats. Intimidate is one of the best abilities in VGC 2011 because it lowers the Attack of both opposing Pokemon., allowing Krookodile to force switches strong physical attackers like Conkeldurr, Scrafty, and Tornadus shake with fear when Krookodile steps on to the field. This makes Krookodile extremely useful on a great choice for most teams.</p>

[SET]
Name: Intimidate
Move 1: Crunch
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Rock Slide / Low Sweep
Move 4: Protect / Low Sweep
Item: Chople Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Krookodile has two of the best STAB attacks in VGC. Earthquake smacks around all Pokemon on the field, and the STAB boost compensates for the power drop of multi target spread attacks. Crunch is the best option for hits the myriad of Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage. Flying-type Pokemon are generally not OHKOed by Crunch, so Rock Slide is a solid choice. STAB Rock Slide KOes Flying-type Pokemon, and offers good coverage along with Krookodile's other moves. Low Sweep is rather situational, but it does help against Hydreigon and Virizion. This set can 2HKO the genies with Rock Slide, OHKO Choice Scarf Chandelure, and outspeed the few Ice-type Pokemon present in the metagame. (shifting this sentence from Other Options, since it makes more sense here)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using a 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 EVs spread outpaces neutral natured 252 Speed Chandelure. Running maximum Speed on Krookodile only outspeeds neutral natured 252 Speed Excadrill, and ties with Leavanny. Both of these Pokemon are rarely seen outside of weather, so running maximum Speed on Krookodile is wasteful.</p>

<p>Flying-type Pokemon are the best teammates for Krookodile. Special mention goes to Thundurus, who can form a Discharge and Earthquake potent combo with Krookodile, as each Pokemon is immune to the other's STAB attack. Thundurus can also cripple support Pokemon with Taunt. As for counters, Virizion resists both of Krookodile's STAB attacks, and can hit back with a super effective STAB attack of its own. Bisharp receives +1 an Attack boost from Intimidate, but it is outsped and KOed by Earthquake. Choice Scarf Jellicent is another fantastic check to Krookodile, as Water Spout will easily OHKO at full HP Krookodile when Jellicent is at full health.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Running 252 Speed EVs along with a Choice Scarf and an Adamant nature helps Krookodile to outspeed Choice Scarf Vanilluxe, at the cost of reliability and some bulk. This set can 2HKO the genies with Rock Slide, OHKO Choice Scarf Chandelure, and outspeed the few Ice-type Pokemon in VGC 2011. (Do not talk about the set in Other Options. This section is meant for exploring the optional changes which Krookodile can make) In terms of move choices, Trickery is a very situational move, and most of the time Crunch is a better choice.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Krookodile can't do much to Amoonguss, one of the biggest threats in VGC 2011. Even Rock Slide isn't enough to cannot take down Mandibuzz, who easily Toxic stalls Krookodile can easily stall out Krookodile with Toxic and Roost. Conkeldurr has enough power to 2HKO Krookodile with a STAB move of choice can 2HKO Krookodile with its STAB Fighting-type attacks. Another check to Krookodile is Escavalier, who takes negligent damage from all of the crocodile's moves and returns fire with the powerful Megahorn KOes it in return with STAB Megahorn</p>

GP 2 / 2

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
thanks ^ changes made except for:
allowing Krookodile to force switches
Switching is very rare in VGC, so Intimidate is kind of a 'stuck with it' kind of thing. Talked to Alaka about this, he agrees with me.
and
This set can 2HKO the genies with Rock Slide, OHKO Choice Scarf Chandelure, and outspeed the few Ice-type Pokemon present in the metagame.
I was talking about the suggested change to a Choice Scarf here. The non-scarf set cannot do what I listed.

JRank

Jonny
Even though this is effectively done, I think you should give Dark Gem a mention which allows you to OHKO (I'm pretty sure) several TR users you otherwise couldn't. If I'm wrong pay no attention to this.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Dark Gem does allow Krookodile to OHKO pretty much every TR user outside of very physically defensive Musharna and Cofagrigus, which it does not do without the Gem. It is certainly a viable option.

I agree with JRank and cosmicexplorer, I've been using Krookodile myself and Dark Gem Crunch does wonders against Trick Room if necessary and a very strong move of when you do not want to use Earthquake.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
added dark gem in oo.
22:50 muffinhead fatecrashers you there?
22:50 Fatecrashers yes
22:50 muffinhead this sounds realllllllly dumb but can you GP one sentence
22:50 muffinhead u_u
22:50 Fatecrashers ok
22:51 muffinhead Dark Gem can Power up Crunch to do massive damage to common Trick Room users, but this job is generally outclassed by Golurk.
22:51 muffinhead in vgc krookodile
22:52 Fatecrashers Dark Gem can power up Crunch in order to do massive damage to common Trick Room users, but this job is generally better performed by Golurk.
22:52 muffinhead thanks xD

edit: nice to see these analyses getting done :D

I have to ask why Intimidate is the ability of choice over Moxie. Wouldn't the latter have some utility, too? I get the usefulness of lowering both opponents' attack, but if Krookodile is aiming to do lots of damage...

Sorry if I'm missing something here. But, I would like to know. o.o

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Intimidate is always more useful than Moxie because the sheer utility of lowering both opponents' Attack can cripple many things, which is just what wins matches. If you want a hard hitter, use Haxorus or Archeops; both have much better Speed and Attack than Krookodile. Intimidate is pretty much Krookodile's niche, and while Moxie may have some utility, it is vastly outclassed by Intimidate.

But what if you want to use the combo I mentioned earlier? With Intimidate, you would have to go through the trouble of raising the opponent's Pokemon attack more than once with Swagger and that could leave you open if the other Pokemon snaps out of confusion. I only use one Swagger, maybe two if needed, with Intimidate. Whether or not Moxie is a worse ability than Intimidate is a matter of preference. I myself like Moxie, especially on Scrafty.

Swagger + Foul Play is inconsistent to begin with based on their switching and the odds being against you with Confusion at any point because of Swagger's 90 Accuracy. These two things and the very noticeable loss of bulk is why Intimidate is simply superior to Moxie because Krookodile will not be getting too many KOs because it isn't the strongest pokemon, but it can make it a lot easier for your allies to get KOs and it can damage a lot.

I must say I have loved this pokemon a lot more since Team Preview was officially announced, no more random Intimidate guessing to begin with!

Well, you do have a point on that. But yes, I have done some observing and Intimidate is much better than Moxie, in some cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)