Kyurem (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyu's moveset is shockingly barren.
I dunno, I'm pretty sure Blizzard is at 10% Freeze and Frozen World is -1.
Anyway, I'm making a new team to utilize Technician Icy Wind Mr. Mime. On the team is:
Kyu@Wide Lens: Draco Meteor, Frozen World, Stone Edge, Focus Blast
I initially included Stone Edge as a way to nail Blissey and coverage alongside Focus Blast, but now I'm thinking just to use Dragon Claw...
Hitmontop to Spin.
"A Dragon Legend that doesn't get Earthquake? Impossible."

EDIT: Team is a failure.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In this analysis, shouldn't Ubers not be mentioned here? I see a few mentions of Darkrai, Groudon, and Giratina-O.

Draco Meteor/Outrage, Substitute, Focus Blast , Hidden Power Fire/Outrage
item: Life Orb/Leftovers
nature: Modest/Timid/Naive
evs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe

When I first looked at this pokemon and realized he was OU I couldn't believe it. Then I realized that his being weak to the soon to be most common type (Fighting) and to a ton of priority moves (bullet punch, vacuum wave, mach punch) I soon realize this guy isn't to amazing. Also his move pool is pretty bad.

As far as a scarf set goes, If you have a ton of entry hazard support then I'd say fine, otherwise your really going to miss that power.

Here are some ideas for this little guy. Someone else mentioned that ice and dragon attacks over lap so much so I decided to check that out but sadly that was very true. I would like to suggest dropping ice moves completely. Salamence doesn't use fly or hidden power flying, Heatran doesn't carry flash cannon, and Gyarados hardly ever uses bounce (but you can actually make a case for it). Why not try Substitute on him over an ice move, that's always an option on slow defensive pokemon isn't it? He does also have access to the screens. Also this poor guy's physical move pool is pretty bad and so you might want to just forget that sexy 130 attack and work off his special side. I mention the Modest nature and the left overs because I'm banking that he will cause a switch and now you wont need to predict anything. It also takes care of his bullet punch/mach punch weakness. His defenses are so nice you might want to even try a left overs with the sub.

Let me know what you guys think. Also on a side note I was thinking about throwing him on a hail team. 100% accurate blizzard coming from a 130 special attack O_O STABed, I don't think that's been done before (correct me if I'm wrong). That's the only way I'd really consider using an ice move from him.

Hail Kyuremu
Blizzard, Stone Edge / substitute, Focus Blast, Hidden Power (electric or grass) / or any dragon move

Ice is resisted by fire water ice and steel. Stone edge covers ice and fire while focus blast hits steels. Hidden power electric or grass cover water. However a super effect HP is only 140 max in which case outrage would do more. Further dragon pulse would be 135 and dragon claw 120.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem @ Leftovers
Modest
228 HP/204 SpA/76 Spe

Substitute
Frozen World
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Fire

Sub on the switch, attack accordingly. Sits at 244 speed which outruns all tyranitar, but I'm not sure how useful this is without focus blast. After a frozen world you will outspeed almost every non scarved pokemon in OU, and hit them with dragon + fire coverage off 380 SpA.

I'm still working on the set, but it's extremely disruptive for the enemy, causes lots of switches and is a great way to abuse kyurems bulk and frozen world.

Tell me what you think!

I have used a Choice Scarf Kyurem to great success:

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

It has a decent amount of power and carries a lot of surprise factor. The 4 EVs in Special Defense prevent Download users from getting a SpA boost. It needs entry hazard support to land most of its KOs, but it makes a great revenge killer. Thanks to its bulk, Scarfed Pokemon faster than it can be revenge-killed, not revealing the fact that you have a Scarf.

I have used a Choice Scarf Kyurem to great success:

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

It has a decent amount of power and carries a lot of surprise factor. The 4 EVs in Special Defense prevent Download users from getting a SpA boost. It needs entry hazard support to land most of its KOs, but it makes a great revenge killer. Thanks to its bulk, Scarfed Pokemon faster than it can be revenge-killed, not revealing the fact that you have a Scarf.
I've used a similar Kyurem on my Hail team and the only differences were Blizzard instead of Ice Beam and Outrage instead of Focus Blast.

However why are you using a Hasty nature when you only have Special Attacks? Either replace Focus Blast with Outrage or use Timid.

I've used a similar Kyurem on my Hail team and the only differences were Blizzard instead of Ice Beam and Outrage instead of Focus Blast.

However why are you using a Hasty nature when you only have Special Attacks? Either replace Focus Blast with Outrage or use Timid.
Whoops. I had Outrage on there originally, then switched it for HP Fire and forgot to change the nature. Nice catch and changed.

Fusxfaranto

gonna smoke five blunts and watch anime
I have a mixed choice scarf set that I've used to great success:

Kyuremu @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Outrage

It's worked great for me.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm very very sorry, I had this like 2/3rd written up by the beggining of February, but lost everything when electricity decided to bs hax me and now life has gotten in the way. So yeah, Aerrow taking it over, sorry for the setback.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
I gave Aerrow ownership of this thread since he's taking it over for Bluewind.

Now, I have some suggestions: remove the "Frozen World Lead." There's no such thing as a lead in Gen 5 due to team previews, which allows your opponent to rearrange their team and put their best defense against Kyurem in the lead position. Making a mention of Frozen World in Optional Changes should be sufficient.

I agree with adding a Choice Specs and Choice Scarf set.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Fire
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

That should do. Kyurem has an impressive Special Attack stat, and a Choice Specs boosted Draco Meteor is nothing to scoff at. Even though he's weak to Stealth Rock, Choice Scarf makes for a pretty good item on Kyurem. It makes up for his Speed and STAB Ice Beam is a great move for revenging a wide range of threats. Choice Scarf Kyurem also has somewhat of a surprise factor, so that's an added bonus.

Lastly, make Outrage the first slash over Dragon Claw on the mixed set. The added power is necessary for breaking through special walls.

EDIT: jrrrrrrr brings up a valid point about Outrage; Blissey's just going to out stall you. I'm in support of making the last slot Hidden Power Fire / Dragon Pulse.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for posting that Bloo. I can't believe Kyu got all the way through QC without the Choice set that I suggested in OCTOBER

Some other random changes I'd make:

Add HP Fire to the Life Orb set, at least in the set comments. Later in the analysis you go on to say that Blissey can outstall Dragon Claw and Outrage, which makes me question why DC/Outrage are on that set in the first place. I've used Kyuremu extensively and its physical moves are garbage. There's no reason to go mixed, you don't beat anything extra and you sacrifice Speed or your more useful SpAtk. If we're going to continue this policy of "don't include things that are outclassed", then there is no reason to suggest Outrage Kyuremu.

I think the 4th moveslot on the life orb set should be HP Fire/Dragon Pulse and not Dragon Claw/Outrage. The two physical moves this thing gets aren't even worth it. I can't believe it doesnt get any physical Ice moves, not even Ice Fang =[

Blizzard and Endeavor should be mentioned in OO, especially if you decide to pair Kyu with Abomasnow.

Reflect and Light Screen can be used for team support, Kyu has the typing and defenses to come in and set them up on a surprising amount of things. They should also go in OO.

Psychic and Dragon Tail are the only two other moves I can think of that I'd use on Kyu, they should also go in OO. Dragon Tail for shuffling and Psychic because people love bringing in their Mach Punchers to hurt you. Even a Breloom Technician LO Mach Punch can't OHKO Kyuremu, so Psychic might be a good filler move.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What about a claw sharpen set? Can be used for a very nice sweep.
Why use that when you have better-typed users, especially other fellow Dragon-types, of Claw Sharpen and better Dragons WITH Dragon Dance? I mean, SURE, surprise factor, but that's pretty much it.

That post is bogus. It's already been said so many times that Kyurem works differently from Palkia for a number of reasons.
-Not reliant on rainy weather;
-can actually beat Lugia;
-works well in Sun teams because of its synergy with Groudon, Ho-oh and Reshiram.

I don't understand how a pokemon that performs better in Ubers than OU shouldn't receive an Uber analysis while things like Abomasnow should.
Speaking of Abomasnow, if you're reviewing said pokemon in the uber tier it's safe to assume that you'd want to use a Hail abuser alongside it.
That's reason enough to review Kyurem in that tier.
No one seemed to pay any mind to what this guy said... I'm quoting it because i agree 100%.

Wouldn't it make more sense to consider an Ubers analysis later instead of worrying about it now while OU is still being defined? Ubers is effectively there to serve OU not take precedence over it, especially in the fledgling stages.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Aerrow has informed me that he will no longer be working on this. Moving to L&O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)