XY OU Kyurem-B, Slowbro, and Genies.

Hello friends, this is a team I have been working on for a few days now, and feel it is pretty balanced and has answers to most threats in the OU tier. Although 4/6 of the mons on the current team were not part of the original, I have grown to really like this team as it features Kyurem-B, one of the most if not the most underrated pokemon in the OU tier. This team generally uses Mega-Scizor and Slowbro as pivots, while Landorus and Thundurus weaken the opposing team for Kyurem to clean up late game. I really love teambuilding, and have put a lot of time/effort into this team and the RMT. I hope you will take some time to leave any suggestions or criticisms you may have, as I have grown to really like this team and hope to improve it as much as possible. Anyway, here's the thought process I had while building the team, and of course the team itself.

I wanted to start off by building a team around Goodra. Goodra is a pretty cool poke in my opinion, and the assault vest variant has a ton of bulk while also having respectable special attack. Ironically, the pokemon I planned to teambuild around is no longer on the team.

While Goodra may be a beast when it comes to taking special attacks, it kind of gets fucked in the ass by physical attackers, especially with it's sub-par base speed. Slowbro is one of the best physical walls in the game, one of my favourite pokemon, and regenerator allows it to act as a fantastic pivot, especially with its amazing and unique typing.

Ferrothorn covers pretty much any physical attacker that isn't handled by Slowbro, while also being an excellent utility user with access to t-wave, leech seed, knock off, hazards etc. and respectable base attack to be able to threaten out pokemon without any investment.

I felt Sylveon would offer me decent support, and would also create a f/d/s core with goodra and ferrothorn. Sylveon covered dragons that threaten Goodra, and also acted as a cleric.

At this point, the pokemon that I was most cooncerned about were: Mega Venusaur, Conkeldurr, Heatran, Gengar, Heracross, Keldeo, Landorus, Magnezone, and calm mind Clefable. Landorus has psychic for Conkeldurr, Gengar, Heracross, Mega Venusaur, and Keldeo, while Earth Power hits Magnezone and Heatran. Sludge wave hits Clefable hard, and Landorus is an extremely powerful pokemon overall.

Thundurus allowed me to hit pokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn who pretty much walled me at this point, and provided nice utility overall with prankster. HP ice helped me deal with Dragonite, Landorus, Garchomp, and Gliscor, while Thunderbolt helped me deal with Rotom. Now that I looked at the final product of my team, I realized that half of it lacked any real offensive presence, and looked over it again to begin making changes.

1. Ferrothorn was changed to specially defensive Mega-Scizor to help deal with special attackers such as the Latis, who I couldnt really touch with Ferrothon and could Psyshock Sylveon. Specially defensive Mega-Scizor is also pretty much the only switch in to Mega Gardevoir, so that helped quite a bit seeing as nothing on my team takes hits from Mega Gardevoir. Mega Scizor is also one of the best defoggers in the game in my opinion.

2. Goodra was changed to Kyurem-B. Kyurem offered me better coverage overall, and running a choice scarf allowed me to outspeed and kill huge threats like Charizard X after a dragon dance, Charizard Y, and specs Keldeo depending on its hp.

3. With Goodra gone, my team was quite weak to special attacker with fire coverage. The loss of Ferrothorn also left me without an ideal stealth rock user, so specially defensive Heatran seemed like a great fit. Heatran stopped most special fire types, beat calm mind Clefable, offered me much needed fire coverage, and was a really nice partner for Scizor, absorbing it's only weakness.

4. Keldeo and Charizard Y were the biggest threats at this point. Latias was the only real solution I could find, and to accommodate for Heatrans loss, I switched knock off for stealth rocks on Landorus, and moved knock off to Scizor over defog to allow me to still beat Chansey. with that, semi-defensive Latias became my new defogger, and Zard y/Keldeo check.

Here is my team as it currently stands:

Cuddles (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 120 Atk / 140 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Kyurem-B is easily one of the most underrated pokemon in OU, and is by far one of the best mixed attackers. It's monstrous 170 base attack is extremely powerful even when uninvested, and 120 Sp. Atk is by no means bad. It's 125 base hp is also quite impressive, as it is only 3 less than fully invested Slowbro. It's defenses are both quite good for an offensive pokemon as well, and the only real weak stat is its speed. While it isn't the slowest pokemon in OU, it is outsped by a lot of things I need it to check, such as Charizard X. This is why I have chosen to go with a naive nature and choice scarf. Running naive over something mild or naughty allows me to outspeed Zard X after a Dragon Dance, as well as modest scarfed Keldeo/Terrakion. Naive>Hasty allows me to survive a timid secret sword for Keldeo, and any non-timid Keldeo I outspeed anyway. 140 evs in Sp. Atk allows me to OHKO Thundurus and Mega-Pinsir, and 2HKO Rotom-W. The rest is invested into attack, and allows me to OHKO Charizard Y with Fusion Bolt. Fusion Bolt + Ice Beam + Earth Power provide coverage for basically everything in the game, and Outrage is mostly for Zard X, and late game sweeping.

Herpes (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe 232 Def/ 24 Sp. Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Slowbro is one of the best physical walls in the game because of its typing, and regenerator ability. Slowbro synergizes well with Kyurem, since Kyurem is weak to common priority (Mach Punch + Bullet Punch), and both are resisted by Slowbro. 0 attack Ivs allow me to take less damage from foul play, while my evs are to maximize physical bulk. 4 Evs in speed for the simple fact that I hate speed ties with a burning passion, although speed ties with Slowbro are quite rare. Slack Off allows me to recover half my hp, and not be forced to switch out for regenerator health. Scald is the STAB of choice because of it's 30% burn chance, Ice Beam allows me to hit physical threats like Garchomp and Dragonite back, and I feel fire blast is necessary, since it is my only fire coverage on this team and allows me to hit Scizor/Ferrothorn. I have considered trying to fit Psyshock somewhere, as I can't really hit Conkeldurr back especially if it has guts, but I feel that all three moves are necessary coverage.

Edit: Invested 24 evs into Sp. Def to survive 2 hydro pumps from specs Keldeo after rocks, since it is a minor investment.

Scissors (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe 72 Atk / 12 Def / 176 Spd
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Knock Off

While offensive Mega-Scizor is outclassed by LO or CB Scizor, the defensive set is one of the best walls in the game due to its typing. Thundurus can not 2HKO me, and after I knock off its life orb I easily win a 1v1. Max HP/Sp.Def checks non HP Fire Greninja, Gardevoir (Scizor also being pretty much the only reliable switch in to Mega-Gardevoir in the game), Lati@s, and pretty much any special attacker without fire moves. Its typing prevents it from being toxiced, which helps against mons like Chansey or Gliscor who usually rely on toxic to do damage. It's 140 base defense also allows me to check mons like Azumarill, even while univested. I run 248 HP Evs to avoid taking extra damage from Stealth Rocks, and 12 speed to speed creep Magnezones speed creeping me before I mega-evolve. Bullet punch is STAB + Technician priority, and is pretty much mandatory on Scizor. It also makes up for its low speed. U-turn is for offensive momentum,while also dealing good STAB damage due to Mega-Scizors base 150 attack. Roost is obviously for recovery, and Knock Off is mostly for Chansey and Lati@s, but also cripples pretty much any mon in the game. Scizor works well with Slowbro and Latias, as they both resist fire types and provide a counter whether or not it's physical or special.

Edit: Invested 12 evs in Def to survive 2 stone edges from Jolly Mega-Tyranitar, and 2 Close Combats from scarfed Terrakion. The Sp. Def investment still allows me to survive 2 T-Bolts from Thundurus, and the rest of my evs went into attack.

Three Wishes (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

The beast that is Thundurus. Thundurus is an amazing special attacker overall, and with Prankster + Taunt it shits on both stall, and set-up mons like Scoliopede or Smeargle. T-Wave is also the more common move of choice, and I can take advantage of that against things like Chansey that feel safe to switch in and stall with recovery, or Protect + Sub + Toxic. I have also won 4-5 games by so far when people forfeit after I taunt their Scoliopede, which is always satisfying. Thundurus threatens bulky water-types, which are annoying for my Slowbro and Kyurem while threatening Zard Y, which is one of the biggest threats to my team. Max speed and Sp. Atk is fairly self explanatory, and the life orb is for as much damage output as possible. Thunderbolt is STAB and allows me to hit the aforementioned bulky water-types, and HP ice gives me a pseudo BoltBeam with a little less power, while still hitting and outspeeding mons like Landorus and Garchomp that are immune to my electric STAB. Focus blast is irritating because of its accuracy, but is essential as it allows me to hit Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Heatran, Bisharp and Magnezone who don't really mind T-Bolts or HP Ice. I prefer Taunt over Thunder Wave, as 4/6 of my mons are either fast, scarfed, or are priority/U-turn users that don't really need any speed.

Aladin (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Sludge Wave

Sheer Force Life Orb makes Landorus an offensive powerhouse, and its movepool gives me perfect coverage for mons that give the rest of my team problems such as Zard X, Mega-Venusaur, Conkeldurr, and CM Clefable. Stealth Rocks are not ideal on Landorus (At least not in my opinion), but nobody else on my team can learn it so he gets the job of hazard slave. Earth power is obligatory STAB that hits fire types that give Scizor a hard time, as well as Heatran which can be annoying for the rest of my team to deal with. Psychic is neccesary due to Mega-Venusaur and Conkeldurr being huge threats to my team, and getting the Sheer Force boost allows it to provide excellent coverage for flying types and levitate users such as Gengar. Sludge Wave is pretty much exclusively for Clefable, who can destroy most of my team due to Flamethrower coverage, but is also extremely helpful against Mega-Gardevoir. Landorus + Thundurus work extremely well together, covering most of each others weaknesses and also removing threats to the rest of my team such as Mega Zard and Specs Keldeo. Timid is necessary to outspeed base 100's like Charizard, and with Sheer Force + Life Orb I don't lose much from not using modest.

Wet Dream (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Last but definitely not least, we have semi-defensive Latias. Latias is the most recent member of the team, and provides me with a switch in to the two biggest threats to the other 5 members of this team: Charizard Y and Keldeo. Latias walls the drought wallbreaker Zard Y set, resisting Solarbeam, Fire Blast, and Focus Blast while the 60 Evs in HP give me enough bulk to survive two Fire Blasts in the sun after Stealth Rock damage and leftovers recovery, but running 80 allows me to survive two icy winds from Specs Keldeo. Latias was chosen over Latios for this fact, and allows me to completely wall both of these threats. Roost allows me to beat Keldeo and Zard Y 1v1, as well as stay alive to defog away hazards when necessary. Psyshock allows me to shit on Conkeldurrs day, another huge threat to my team although uncommon now, and also hits special walls resisting my Draco meteor. Draco Meteor lets me hit other dragons hard, while the 252 evs + Timid nature allows me to outspeed pretty much every dragon in OU. Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse also allows me to OHKO Latios, and in general allow me to defog then hit + run. Latias and Scizor wall virtually every special attacker in OU, and Latias also covers Slowbros electric + grass weakness.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this, and I would love to hear any thoughts or criticisms that you might have. I do not have a threatlist at the moment, as I think I have covered most common threats fairly well but I would be happy to add one if need be.

Last edited:
Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

Dragon Claw over Outrage on Kyurem-B. Locking yourself into Outrage may give Fairies a chance to come in and set up.

Mega Scizor should run a 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD EV spread. 248 HP EVs make Scizor as bulky as possible and reduce Stealth Rock damage. 164 Special Defense EVs are used to help Scizor sponge up attacks from the likes of Latios and Latias, while 96 Attack EVs give Scizor additional damage output.

Lastly, Lati can run Thunderbolt or Surf over to further counter Zard Y over Roost. Just food for thought.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Hey, nice team. Here are my suggestions:

Dragon Claw over Outrage on Kyurem-B. Locking yourself into Outrage may give Fairies a chance to come in and set up.

Mega Scizor should run a 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD EV spread. 248 HP EVs make Scizor as bulky as possible and reduce Stealth Rock damage. 164 Special Defense EVs are used to help Scizor sponge up attacks from the likes of Latios and Latias, while 96 Attack EVs give Scizor additional damage output.

Lastly, Lati can run Thunderbolt or Surf over to further counter Zard Y over Roost. Just food for thought.

Hope it helps!
-PK
Hello, thanks for the rate. Ill try out dragon claw, but feel outrage's extra power is extremely helpful, and Kyurem doesn't really rely on it's dragon STAB anyway. Most Kyurem sets run fusion bolt/ice beam/earth power and then roost/substitute, and the only real reason I have outrage is to wallbreak or sweep late game. I don't have Surf on my Latias, so I can't really replace it. I need a defogger, and can't really switch out a move on scizor since without Knock Off I get walled by Chansey. Roost is necessary for hp recovery, and psyshock/draco meteor are required for the pokemon I use Latias to counter. the ev spread on Scizor I will definitely try out, and out of curiosity why exactly 96 evs in attack? Does it help with a specific damage range or ensure a 2HKO on something? I ask because running 176 Sp. Def would stopThundurus from 2HKOing with T-Bolt.

Anyway since you're scarfed it doesn't matter if you're locked into a move or not. The only real problem there is bellyjet azumarill which isn't really common

Anyway since you're scarfed it doesn't matter if you're locked into a move or not. The only real problem there is bellyjet azumarill which isn't really common
I can always revenge kill belly drum azumarill with Kyurem-B anyway.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 177-208 (45.2 - 53.1%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO
120 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 298-352 (81.8 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I am guaranteed to KO after a belly drum, and belly drum azu also can not OHKO Scizor or Latias with aqua jet.

i'm pretty sure it ohkoes scizor.
but yeah you're right
I meant it cant OHKO my scizor with aqua jet, letting me get off at least one bullet punch.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 237-280 (69 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 267-314 (77.8 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 474-558 (138.1 - 162.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)