1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ladder resets

Discussion in 'The Policy Review' started by Zarel, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

So, up until now, there's been some confusion about when a ladder should be reset.

After a long conversation with tiering leaders, it's been decided that ladders should be reset:

- always, when a suspect round changes something
    - possibly, when a 3-month tier shift happens (only if it causes major metagame changes, as determined by the tiering leader)

Since PS has actually never reset a non-suspect ladder in the past year or so it's been the official sim, this is a bit of a change, so I'm posting this thread to make sure:

Is everyone okay with this?
  2. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

who gets to interpret what "major metagame changes" actually means?

resets after suspect rounds seem reasonable imo
  3. Oglemi

Oglemi I love you wonderful Minun-Kun!
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

the tiering leader

and yeah zarel, sure
  4. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

Looks good.
  5. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I definitely agree with this, although I'd like to point out that the PS playerbase would have to be informed ahead of time if we don't want a massive shitstorm on our hands.
  6. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego xXFaze GatoXx
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

I think the best way to define a "major change" initially would be something coming down into a tier or going up into the above tier. For example, the OU ladder could be reset after Kyurem-B's unbanning or Tornadus-T's banning, but not Tornadus coming up from UU. If Tornadus did leave UU, then the UU ladder could be reset. Haxorus dropping into UU could result in a UU reset, but not an OU one.
  7. kokoloko

kokoloko supersmooth
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

add "at the discretion of the tiering leader" at the end of that second clause and we've got a deal
  8. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Slacking Off

Just a random suggestion, but maybe once we start posting the ladder to the website the final state of reset ladders could be archived in the website somewhere, to recognize the achievements of good ladderers in past states of the metagame. For example there could be an archive for each tier, and it would have a copy of the ladder just before each reset with a date.
  9. zapzap29

zapzap29 The obssessive man of passion

I agree with Rhys' suggestion to save the ladder scores somewhere. I know that on other sites like Dueling Network where the scores are reset every few months players don't invest as much effort in laddering because they feel like their work is invalidated. Keeping the ladder scores archived should get around this problem.
  10. Cathy

Cathy

I didn't save the old scores when I reset the RU ladder today, but that can be perhaps be done in the future if there's a demand for it. We'd also have to set up a facility for viewing them.
  11. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

I've saved the old leaderboard, but I haven't uploaded it anywhere.
  12. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I like resets after all suspect rounds. It turns the ladder into "seasons" like in Starcraft II, which are awesome. If we can save the scores, why not? They're just as valid as keeping tournament records IMO, and also they encourage testing

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)