OU Landorus

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########

Landorus is one of the most powerful special attackers in the tier. The combination of Sheer Force and recoil-less Life Orb boosts all of its attacks with a secondary effect to monstrous levels. It is also one of the most difficult Pokemon for stall to handle due to Calm Mind and Knock Off allowing it to bypass some of its normal checks and counters. This is furthered by its ability to form fantastic cores around a Pursuit trapper and additional special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y and Keldeo to simply overwhelm their counters. It also sits at a decent Speed tier, putting it ahead of both Mega Charizard X and Y, as well as Manaphy and even Mega Medicham. However, Landorus is just slow enough to leave it susceptible to being revenge killed by Pokemon such as Latios, Keldeo, Greninja, and others. Landorus's 4x weakness to Ice is also problematic, making it difficult to pair it with Pokemon such as Garchomp and Dragonite. However, these faults are dwarfed compared to the many positives that Landorus boasts.

Special Attacker
########

name: Special Attacker
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Sludge Wave / Knock Off / Stealth Rock
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid / Naive
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Blessed with a fantastic movepool, Landorus has just about everything it needs to succeed. Earth Power is ridiculously strong after Sheer Force, Life Orb, and STAB boosts, and is incredibly difficult for even neutrally hit Pokemon to switch into without fearing a 2HKO. Psychic's main use is as a way to hit Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Conkeldurr for super effective damage, as well as hitting Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Zapdos for neutral damage if Landorus is not running Sludge Wave. Focus Blast is great for OHKOing Tyranitar, as well as to prevent Landorus from being walled by Skarmory. It is also Landorus's most powerful move with which to hit Chansey. Because Landorus has such a good movepool, the last slot really depends on what the rest of the team needs. Sludge Wave is a fantastic option to hit Clefable, Sylveon, and Azumarill on the switch. It is also more powerful than Psychic, making it the best option for neutral hits. Knock Off is good for luring in Chansey and removing its Eviolite, thus crippling it for the rest of the match. Lastly, Landorus can be an effective user of Stealth Rock if no other setter is available on a team. Rock Slide is an option in the last slot as well, as it can OHKO Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y on the switch. U-turn can also be used to grab momentum on a predicted switch and hits Latios and Latias for super effective damage, but usually coverage is preferred.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe with a Modest nature can be used in order to outspeed positive-natured Mega Gyarados and 216 Speed Kyurem-B while getting an extra boost in power, although usually this is irrelevant since Landorus already hits so hard. A Modest nature should only be used if the rest of the team can cover both Charizard formes, as well as other Pokemon with base 100 Speed such as Manaphy and Mega Medicham. It is important that if using a physical attack such as Knock Off or Rock Slide, a Naive nature is used over Timid.

Usage Tips
========

Landorus is one of the best stallbreakers in the tier, being able to take down common stall cores such as the core of Mega Venusaur and Heatran, as well as having access to Knock Off to cripple Chansey. Knock Off is especially useful when used in tandem with other special attackers such as Charizard Y and Thundurus. Because of this, it can be used both early- and late-game. Either use it to break through special walls for another Pokemon to clean up late-game or vice versa. Double switching into Bisharp or other Pursuit trappers on a predicted switch into Latios, Latias, or Chansey is also helpful to eliminate Landorus's counters as early as possible.

Team Options
========

The best partners to Landorus are other special attackers. Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Keldeo all work well with it, as they can all wear down their similar counters by repeated attacking. Pursuit trappers such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Aegislash also make good partners, as they can trap Latios and Latias. Bisharp and Tyranitar can even deal enough damage to wear down Chansey with their STAB Pursuit. Because faster Pokemon such as Garchomp, Keldeo, and Greninja can be problematic, Azumarill also makes a great partner, being able to defeat all of them.

Calm Mind
########

name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Sludge Wave / Focus Blast
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========

As if Landorus wasn't already powerful enough, Calm Mind can boost its Special Attack even further, making it an absolute terror for both stall and balanced teams to face. Calm Mind not only boosts Landorus's Special Attack, but also its Special Defense, allowing it to live attacks such as Hidden Power Ice from Thundurus, Mega Manectric, and Raikou. Earth Power is the most powerful neutral option; getting STAB, Sheer Force, Life Orb, and possibly Calm Mind boosts makes it an insanely powerful attack. Psychic is the best option for hitting Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Assault Vest Conkeldurr for super effective damage, as well as hitting opposing Landorus and Gliscor for 2HKOs before a boost and OHKOs at +1. The choice between Sludge Wave and Focus Blast depends on what the rest of the team can handle. Sludge Wave is good for hitting Sylveon, Clefable, and Azumarill for super effective damage. However, Focus Blast makes breaking through Chansey much easier, scoring a 2HKO after a single Calm Mind boost. It also has the added bonus of hitting Skarmory, which is able to tank Landorus's moves otherwise.

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe is usable if outspeeding Jolly Excadrill, Charizard, and Manaphy with a Speed boosting nature isn't as important to your team, and it gives Landorus even more of a punch, but usually the Speed is more appreciated. Landorus hits incredibly hard even without a Modest nature.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be used to demolish stall and balanced offense. It works best in the late-game as a cleaner, grabbing a boost and then breaking through Pokemon weakened by its teammates. Like Landorus's other sets, Calm Mind appreciates Pursuit trappers to lure in and trap Pokemon such as Latios and Latias, which can be troublesome for Landorus to beat, as they are faster and their Psyshocks hit its unboosted Defense. Landorus actually has surprising bulk, so don't be afraid to stay in on attacks such as Azumarill's Aqua Jet and Hidden Power Ice from the likes of Thundurus after a Calm Mind boost.

Team Options
========

Other special attackers are the best partners for Landorus, being able to overwhelm special walls for Landorus to clean up in late-game. Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y, Keldeo, and Thundurus fit this role well. As previously stated, Pursuit trappers such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Aegislash also provide a great way to eliminate Latios and Latias early-game, and Bisharp and Tyranitar can even wear down Chansey.

Other Options
########

Rock Polish is probably the best option outside of the listed sets. It has the ability to murder offensive teams that aren't prepared for it; however, Landorus finds it difficult to set up a boost, and it is nearly a wasted moveslot against defensive and balanced teams. Gravity is an interesting option, but considering the main Levitate Pokemon that trouble Landorus are faster than it anyways, using Gravity as they switch into it isn't very effective and can actually hurt the rest of the team. Choice Scarf is another interesting set, but it is usually done better by Landorus-T,which finds it easier to switch in as a pivot thanks to Intimidate, and the extra Speed is not usually needed. Swords Dance sets can also be used with Sand Force and sand support, but this role is usually performed better by Landorus-T, and it does poorly against offensive teams. The same can be said about Double Dance sets.

Checks & Counters
########

**Latios and Latias**: Both of these Pokemon are probably the most common offensive checks to Landorus. They can survive any of its attacks and retaliate with a Draco Meteor or Psyshock. They also have access to Roost to recover off any damage taken by switching in. Their only downside is being weak to Pursuit, which can make them easy to eliminate without careful play.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Chansey, specially defensive Dragonite, specially defensive Mandibuzz, and Assault Vest Tornadus-T all make for decent switch-ins to Landorus. They can each switch into its moves relatively easily and retaliate by either hitting it with a Toxic or one of their own powerful attacks. They each face their own problems with specific Landorus sets. Chansey is crippled by Knock Off, Mandibuzz gets smashed by a +1 Focus Blast, and Tornadus-T can also come in on Knock Off and lose its Assault Vest. Dragonite also needs to be at close to full health to survive and hates losing its Leftovers to Knock Off.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority**: Landorus, while not slow, is not particularly fast either, and it has no form of priority to compensate for this. Pokemon such as Keldeo and Greninja can come in and revenge kill it with their STAB Water-type moves. Thundurus, Mega Manectric, and Raikou can all KO Landorus with Hidden Power Ice after some prior damage. Choice Band Talonflame and Azumarill can pick off weakened Landorus with their powerful priority attacks. Finally, Mamoswine and Weavile both can OHKO Landorus with their STAB Ice Shard.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With the Hidden Power nerf, Hidden Power Ice is not a must at all. Actually you get the best possible coverage with Earth Power / Focus Blast / Psychic / Rock Slide. Psychic 2HKOes Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mega Venusaur, and OHKOes Mega Gengar and Keldeo, while Rock Slide OHKOes Salamence, Thundurus, Thundurus-T, Gyarados (without Intimidate), and Dragonite after Stealth Rock, and OHKOes Talonflame, Moltres, and Mega Charizard Y without it. In general, the best set for all out attacking Landorus is Earth Power / Focus Blast / Rock Slide / U-turn, with only Gliscor and Landorus-T walling you, so Hidden Power Ice should be slashed after Rock Slide.

Rock Polish should be a standalone set with its own EV spread.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
With the Hidden Power nerf, Hidden Power Ice is not a must at all. Actually you get the best possible coverage with Earth Power / Focus Blast / Psychic / Rock Slide. Psychic 2HKOes Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mega Venusaur, and OHKOes Mega Gengar and Keldeo, while Rock Slide OHKOes Salamence, Thundurus, Thundurus-T, Gyarados (without Intimidate), and Dragonite after Stealth Rock, and OHKOes Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y. In general, the best set for all out attacking Landorus is Earth Power / Focus Blast / Rock Slide / U-turn, with only Gliscor and Landorus-T walling you, so Hidden Power Ice should be slashed after Rock Slide.

Rock Polish should be a standalone set with its own EV spread.
Done. I slashed Psychic after U-turn since you mentioned it has perfect neutral coverage. Though I will say I have found Sludge Wave very helpful for the special wall Fairy-types that try to switch in such as Florges, Sylveon, and Togekiss. It's also a bit stronger than Psychic, which helps for Rotom-W switches as well, but I'm not confident enough to slash it so I'll wait for QC's verdict there.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, Rock Slide 2HKOes Togekiss, and Earth Power 2HKOes Azumarill and 252 HP / 252 SpD + Clefable (the latter with Modest), so Sludge Wave is only there for Florges and Sylveon, which honestly are not that good Pokemon in OU. But that's just me, and others may find Sylveon and Florges being significant enough for Sludge Wave to be slashed somewhere there. Sludge Wave is also Landorus's best hope of getting past Assault Vest Tangrowth, which is worth mentioning somewhere (AV Tangrowth will be a thing in the future, trust me).

It might be worth noting that 56 Atk EVs are needed to secure the OHKO on Dragonite after SR with Rock Slide.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who uses SF Rock Slide but something to be careful of with Landorus-i is that RP Landorus-i is walled by cress (although not very common in OU but still is in the meta) with Landorus only being able to hit it with u-turn(All Out Attacking Set) and is walled with his Extremely common Bulky Rock Polish set and Cresselia can hit back with the Ice Beam.Other things that wall this set are Celebi, only because of the HP ice nerf most people run psychic instead now but if you fear Celebi Landorus also gets Sludge Bomb/Wave. Latias walls the set if lacking hp ice. Mamoswine checks Landorus with the priority ice shard, scarf Rotom-W (trick) can outspeed and hit lando with a Hydro Pump(provided it hits). Personally Lando-I is my favorite pokemon in OU. Hopefully he doesn't not get banned to ubers. I hope people realize that Landorus is not a big problem if you prepare for him.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This looks good

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Does anyone else think that Gravity is good enough to warrant an actual set? The omnipotence of Rotom-W, and general lack of Earth Power switch ins after Gravity is used makes it appealing.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Can't the all out attacker utilize Sub > U-Turn, at least an AC mention imo? Sludge Wave needs a mention somewhere it 2HKOs RWash as well and its much more reliable.

Shouldn't go hp ice still be primary over rock slide js?

Gravity + Sticky Web is legit 2.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Gravity + Sticky Web is legit 2.
I would say that even without Gravity All-out-Attacker Lando-I is one of the best Sticky Web abusers in the game , it allows you to outspeed Garchomp, Keldeo, Terrakion, Scarf Genesect, Mega Lucario, Jolteon (lol), Starmie, Greninja and some of the more obscure Megas (Manetric, Houndoom etc.) as well as some slower scarfers (actually i can't think of any that are common, but i am sure they exist). These are some of the most common Lando-I checks that get completly screwed by Sticky Web. I know Sticky Web is similar to SR since there is no sweeper that dwon't enjoy Sticky Web support, but most Pokemon still have trouble beating some of their offensive checks even when they are slower due to resistances while Landorus-I just steam rolls everything slower with its insane power and excellent coverage. if anything deserves a mention in team options for Sticky Web its All-Out attacker Lando-I.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Gravity is amazing for the levitating things like Gengar and Lati@s too but yeah I agree Lando is a p. good abuser of Sticky Web; I second the mention of SW for Land

Also all out attacker needs modest slashed imo.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sticky Web for Lando is very good, I agree with BurningMan and Shurt on this one. Put a mention of that in team options for All-out attacker and

qc 2/3

I'd mention Scarf Tyranitar and Ebelt Keldeo with HP Ghost as partners for the Sheer Force sets. The trio was amazing last gen, and to my understanding it's still great, as they clear out eachother's checks and counters while keeping constant offensive pressure.

EDIT: Just add that on the all-out attacker set.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
I'd mention Scarf Tyranitar and Ebelt Keldeo with HP Ghost as partners for the Sheer Force sets. The trio was amazing last gen, and to my understanding it's still great, as they clear out eachother's checks and counters while keeping constant offensive pressure.

EDIT: Just add that on the all-out attacker set.
The set already mentions both Ttar AND Keldeo in the team options section. Ttar is the first partner mentioned. I'll get more into specific sets when I write this up.

The set already mentions both Ttar AND Keldeo in the team options section. Ttar is the first partner mentioned. I'll get more into specific sets when I write this up.
Must've overlooked that part. Also remove the mention of MKhan sense Kangaskhanite is banned.

I would like to add that Earthquake is actually a viable option on Sheer Force set. Yes, this in indeed counter-intuitive since it is redundant typing of Earth Power and that it doesn't exploit the Special Attack investment, but Landorus has respectably high physical attack that is augmented by Life Orb. Its neutral-nature Earthquake is just more powerful than an uninvested Earthquake from Lando-T and this powerful physical attack can be a invaluable wallbreaking tool.

Here's some interesting calcs against select special walls:

Sylveon:

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 242-285 (61.4 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

compared to:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 138-164 (35 - 41.6%) -- 74.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 192-229 (48.7 - 58.1%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Florges:

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 231-274 (64.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 190-224 (52.7 - 62.2%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 244-289 (67.7 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(Note Sludge Wave does not get the nifty poison side effect, and it is not really a spammable attack due to the common resistances and immunities to it. Earthquake is inferior to Sludge Wave against mixed sets of Sylveon and Florges, but slightly superior to Earth Power. Still, its ability to punish sets leveraging their special defense is noteworthy.)

----

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 312-369 (77.2 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

compared to.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 291-343 (72 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Earthquake is the most reliable option if you want conservatively need to kill TTar, except if it is running a physically defensive set (and that's still a 2hko), although I haven't heard of that as usually TTar leverages its special defense.

---

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 227-269 (59.1 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Goodra: 168-199 (43.7 - 51.8%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO

vs

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 118-140 (30.7 - 36.4%) -- 58.5% chance to 3HKO

Earthquake is superior.
It seems actually superior to Sludge Wave (the Fairy exception is Clefable who is 2HKOed by Earth Power), since it cannot pop the Balloon of an Excadrill, essentially give it a free switch. Sludge Wave is not as spammable as Psychic.

----

Also if Sticky Web support is also viable, then similarly Thundurus would be a good partner since it has the ability to paralyze a non-Ground or Electric Pokemon and offensively can deal with flying types better with HP Ice and Thunderbolt.

I know this hasn't been touched in a while, but I just have a small nitpick for the first set. I think that the standard EV spread needs to have 4 Atk EVs instead of 4 HP EVs. It's a small difference, but the extra bit of Atk can help when using Rock Slide or U-turn. More importantly, it drops its HP stat from 320 to 319, which causes it to take one less point of damage from both Stealth Rock and Life Orb (when not using a Sheer Force-boosted move).

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Note: This applies only to physical landorus (and even offensive lando-t)

While it may sound stupid at first, I think smack down deserves a mention in the physical sets. Yes, its so much weaker than stone edge, but it has a nice 100 accuracy, and when you smack down on the switch, all of a sudden, rotom-w is no longer a problem. This also goes for skarmory (still needs some prior damage but stab eq will hurt) You can even start spamming boosted eq on gliscor once it has been grounded.

The only problem with this is you NEED to catch shit ON THE SWITCH. You cannot just stay in and attempt to dent rotom-w after a little prior damage with a boosted smack down (rofl), you will need a lot more prior damage to do so.

Basically, a smack-down on the switch leads to eq spam, which is much better than relying on stone edge. It can help muscle past usual checks like rotom-w.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Hi guys. It's true that my laptop broke last month, which is why I haven't been on. I'm home for February break right now, giving me access to a computer, but it's kinda shitty of me to come back after a month of absence and assume that there's no penalty for that. If you want to reassign this, I completely understand. If not, I can try to get these analyses done throughout the week. Sorry about all this :[

Hi guys. It's true that my laptop broke last month, which is why I haven't been on. I'm home for February break right now, giving me access to a computer, but it's kinda shitty of me to come back after a month of absence and assume that there's no penalty for that. If you want to reassign this, I completely understand. If not, I can try to get these analyses done throughout the week. Sorry about all this :[
Welcome back. :) If you'd like to continue working on your analyses, go right ahead. I'd rather not reassign these now that you're back, since you're a competent contributor and your analyses are basically almost done. Go for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)