Landorus-T (Double Booster set)

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
[QC 3/3] : Princess Bri | Shrang | BKC
[GP 2/2] : Oglemi | relaunched

[SET]
name: Double Booster
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Rock Polish
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Landorus-T's respectable bulk, useful ability in Intimidate, and key resistance to Fighting and immunity to Ground and Electric attacks make it a perfect candidate for a double boosting set. The main selling point of this set is its flexibility. With a Swords Dance boost, Landorus-T can rip through slower, more defensive teams while Rock Polish lets it clean up weakened, faster teams. Due to the aforementioned attributes, it is not uncommon for Landorus-T to grab multiple boosts and decimate unprepared teams. While Terrakion might seem like the superior double booster due to its higher Speed and access to STAB Stone Edge, Landorus-T sports a higher base Attack and has a much easier time setting up on common walls such as Forretress and Ferrothorn thanks to Intimidate and its lack of weaknesses to their STAB moves. Unlike Terrakion, Landorus-T is also not weak to common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, although Ice Shard will quickly dismantle it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Landorus-T's Attack while allowing it to outspeed everything up to Adamant Toxicroak at +0 and common Choice Scarf users such as Keldeo and Latios after a Rock Polish. The remaining EVs are invested in HP for added longevity. If Toxicroak is not a concern, 184 Speed EVs is sufficient, with 24 EVs moved to HP for even more bulk. Alternatively, Landorus-T can simply opt to run max Speed with an Adamant nature to outpace Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran without a boost at the cost of bulk.</p>

<p>As is the case for most sweepers, entry hazard support tremendously helps this set, as not only does Landorus-T naturally forces a lot of switches, but entry hazards also help it achieve OHKOs on some bulkier Pokemon. Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory are all fine choices in this regard. Although Earthquake and Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage in OU, this set still has trouble muscling through several common walls, notably Gliscor, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory. Thus, partners that can soften or lure these walls are highly recommended. This includes common OU Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion, Expert Belt Jirachi, Ice Punch Lucario, and Technician Breloom, all of which naturally attract these Pokemon. Alternatively, Gothitelle can be used to eliminate them with Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, and Thunderbolt. Note that as the last Pokemon, Landorus-T can potentially beat Skarmory and Hippowdon as they can no longer phaze it.</p>

<p>Leftovers is the item of choice as the extra recovery is very helpful when setting up in front of walls or tanking priority moves. Alternative items for this set include Lum Berry, Yache Berry, Life Orb, and Earth Plate. Lum Berry is especially useful for setting up on Jirachi without fearing a Body Slam paralysis, as well as Will-O-Wisp or Scald burns from bulky Water types, which despite being super effective, can usually be tanked by Landorus-T outside of rain. Yache Berry can be used to take an Ice Shard from Mamoswine, Weavile, or Donphan trying to cut short Landorus-T's sweep. Finally, Life Orb and Earth Plate are useful items that boost Landorus-T's power, the former giving a more significant boost at the cost of HP. However, keep in mind that Leftovers is still the preferred item on this set as it also helps Landorus-T in checking and setting up on the premier physical attacker in the game, Terrakion, as well as other physical attackers such as non-Ice Punch Lucario and Jirachi.</p>

Mention 184 Speed EV's if you're not Toxicroak weak.

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Thanks for posting this, love.

As nitpicky as this sounds, you might wanna mention a spread of 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe with an Adamant nature to outpace max speed Heatran, who can hit you with Hidden Power Ice before you boost.

I love this set, and ive used it before to good success but isnt there a Rock Polish set on the site? Why not just slash Swords Dance there?

gr8astard

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I did this since Princess Bri requested it but now that I look at it, SD is even mentioned in the Rock Polish analysis. However, from my experience a bulky Lando-T with leftovers is usually better and they play differently, so I'm not sure if this should just be slashed or not, I'm really fine with either.

Yeah i used it with lefties it's better that way since it checks Terra. Me neither I dont mind i was just pointing it out. I think Double Dance is a great set anyway.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd give Yache and Lum Berry mentions too. I've seen them both get used and both are useful on such a set. It's especially nice when an offensive team only has Mamoswine as its RP Landorus-T check and it fails to kill because of Yache.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Requesting Earth Plate to be slashed with Leftovers or at least get a mention in AC. Here is why:

+0 Earthquake vs:

• 4 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 255-301 (78.7 - 92.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes
  • 248 HP / 32 Def Starmie: 258-304 (79.87 - 94.11%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 297-349 (92.23 - 108.38%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent: 297-351 (73.51 - 86.88%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes
  • 72 HP / 4 Def Venusaur: 271-321 (84.95 - 100.62%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 202-238 (48.09 - 56.66%) -- 91.41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.6 - 52.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes
  • 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 140-165 (53.43 - 62.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 133-157 (37.57 - 44.35%) -- 53.13% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes
+2 Earthquake vs:

• 252 HP / 4 Def Hippowdon: 403-475 (95.95 - 113.09%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 280-330 (106.87 - 125.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 369-435 (104.82 - 123.57%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 313-369 (88.92 - 104.82%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes

gr8astard

Yes I think I'll definitely mention Yache, Lum, and Earth Plate in the AC. Also thanks Masterclass for reminding me to mention that this Landorus-T can easily set up on Terrakion.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't really see any reason why LO can't work either, so put that in AC. Apart from anything, it's the most obvious item to put on a sweeper, so it's probably worth mentioning why it isn't the best option.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
but Landorus-T has a much easier time setting up on common walls such as Hippowdon
Isn't Hippowdon just going to WW / Roar you out ???

Yeah I did this since Princess Bri requested it but now that I look at it, SD is even mentioned in the Rock Polish analysis. However, from my experience a bulky Lando-T with leftovers is usually better and they play differently, so I'm not sure if this should just be slashed or not, I'm really fine with either.
The sets are different. The RP set is ideally focussed on solely getting that RP boost and sweeping with your 3 attacks (with HP Ice being available eto shut down Landorus-T). This set lets you use SD if the opposing team is slow, and RP if the teaam is fast, etc etc. I guess you can merge them but in my testing they played different enough to allow seperate sets.

Its a good set, ill approve when you fully write this up.

gr8astard

It has an easier time setting up on Hippowdon in the sense that Landorus-T doesn't fear Earthquake, so you can SD and EQ forcing Hippowdon to Whirlwind you out, hopefully to something that can threaten Hippowdon so it won't be able to Slack Off. Then next time Landorus-T comes in Hippowdon will be too weak to wall it. While in the case of Terrakion they can just EQ and kill you. Even if Hippo has Ice Fang, it hurts less than a 2x super effective STAB Earthquake, and Intimidate certainly helps there too. Should I mention all of this in the writeup?

Also yeah I'll mention Life Orb in AC.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Not to be rude Gr8stard but considering the argument up there between you and ginga, it makes way more sense to just say that it has no problem beating hippo. Although, to be fair, it might not expect you to SD, because I know I never do. (Although scarf is a pretty rare/weak set too so IDK)

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just a heads up, there needs to be space between the subtitles and the paragraphs as so:
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Landorus-T’s Attack while allowing it to outspeed everything up to Adamant Toxicroak, and common Choice Scarf users such as Keldeo and Latios after a Rock Polish. The remaining EVs are invested in HP for added longevity. If Toxicroak is not a concern, 184 Speed EVs is sufficient, with 24 EVs moved to HP for even more bulk. Alternatively, Landorus-T can simply opt to run max speed with Adamant nature to outpace Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran without a boost at the cost of bulk.</p>
And not like this:
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The given EV spread maximizes Landorus-T’s Attack while allowing it to outspeed everything up to Adamant Toxicroak, and common Choice Scarf users such as Keldeo and Latios after a Rock Polish. The remaining EVs are invested in HP for added longevity. If Toxicroak is not a concern, 184 Speed EVs is sufficient, with 24 EVs moved to HP for even more bulk. Alternatively, Landorus-T can simply opt to run max speed with Adamant nature to outpace Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran without a boost at the cost of bulk.</p>
Another thing:
Last Paragraph of AC said:
</p>Leftovers is the item of choice as the extra recovery is very helpful when setting up in front of walls or tanking priority moves.
You don't add the "/" at the starting, probably just a typo.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In addition to what Rohail17 said, make all of your apostrophes like this: '. You have curly ones, which mess with the HTML on-site.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a very minor thing, but I think it would be better if you start by mentioning the basic principle of a double booster set before comparing to Terrakion, rather than the other way round as you have now. I also think you should leave out the thing about Ice Fang - it still does a lot of damage, and you usually wouldn't switch Landorus-T into Hippowdon so Intimidate doesn't really matter there.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although Hippowdon can phaze Landorus-T out, Landorus-T doesn't fear Earthquake, allowing it to grab a Swords Dance and inflict massive damage with Earthquake, forcing Hippowdon to Whirlwind it out, hopefully to something that can threaten Hippowdon so it won't be able to Slack Off and survive the next onslaught. Even if Hippowdon carries Ice Fang, it hurts less than a 2x super effective STAB Earthquake, and Intimidate also helps mitigate the damage.
Can I ask why you are attempting to set up ON Hippowdon when its just going to Whirlwind you out. I can understand SDing the switch and then EQing the Hippowdon switch, thats all well and good, and a higher levels against players of decent calibur you can bluff sets, SD if you can predict a slack off etc etc, but as it stands this would need to be expanded on, as it really just looks like your suggesting that you can set up on Hippowdon when it can phaze you out easily. Fix the line please.

Standard Scenario: You switch in Landorus on Hippowdon as it Stealth Rocks. You SD and Hippowdon uses Whirlwind. Result: No damage on Hippowdon and you have revealed SD.

Please tell me im missing something obvious.

EDIT

Sorta ninjaed by jc104

gr8astard

Well the scenario I'm thinking about is more when they switch in at the same time, where you basically can choose between EQ or SD depending if you predict Hippo to go for SR/Whirlwind/Slack Off, while Terrakion would be forced out immediately by Hippowdon's EQ. I never said anything about Landorus-T switching into a Hippowdon and SD-ing when the Hippowdon has nothing better to do but Whirlwind, lol. Do you think it would be better if I just remove the whole Hippowdon bit? So the paragraph would look like this:

"Landorus-T's respectable bulk, useful ability in Intimidate, and key resistance and immunities to Fighting, Ground, and Electric attacks make it a perfect candidate for a double boosting set. The main selling point of this set is the flexibility of choosing between going for Swords Dance against slower, more defensive teams, and Rock Polish against weakened, faster teams. Due to the aforementioned attributes, it is not uncommon for Landorus-T to grab multiple boosts and decimate unprepared teams. While Terrakion might seem like the superior double booster due to its higher Speed and access to STAB Stone Edge, Landorus-T sports a higher base Attack and has a much easier time setting up on common walls such as Forretress and Ferrothorn thanks to Intimidate and its lack of weaknesses to their STAB moves. Unlike Terrakion, Landorus-T is also not weak to common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, although Ice Shard will quickly dismantle it."

I did mention that Landorus-T has an easier time beating Hippo/Skarm in a last pokemon situation in the second paragraph on the AC.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[SET]
ability: Intimidate

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Landorus-T's respectable bulk, useful ability in Intimidate, and key resistance and immunities to Fighting, Ground, and Electric attacks make it a perfect candidate for a double boosting set. The main selling point of this set is the flexibility of choosing between going for Swords Dance against slower, more defensive teams, and Rock Polish against weakened, faster teams. Due to the aforementioned attributes, it is not uncommon for Landorus-T to grab multiple boosts and decimate unprepared teams. While Terrakion might seem like the superior double booster due to its higher Speed and access to STAB Stone Edge, Landorus-T sports a higher base Attack and has a much easier time setting up on common walls such as Forretress and Ferrothorn thanks to Intimidate and its lack of weaknesses to their STAB moves. Unlike Terrakion, Landorus-T is also not weak to common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, although Ice Shard will quickly dismantle it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Landorus-T's Attack while allowing it to outspeed everything up to Adamant Toxicroak at +0 and common Choice Scarf users such as Keldeo and Latios after a Rock Polish. The remaining EVs are invested in HP for added longevity. If Toxicroak is not a concern, 184 Speed EVs is sufficient, with 24 EVs moved to HP for even more bulk. Alternatively, Landorus-T can simply opt to run max Speed with an Adamant nature to outpace Adamant Lucario and Timid Heatran without a boost at the cost of bulk.</p>

<p>As is the case for most sweepers, entry hazards support tremendously helps this set, as not only does Landorus-T naturally forces a lot of switches, but entry hazards also help it achieve OHKOs on some bulkier Pokemon. Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory are all fine choices in this regard. Although Earthquake and Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage in OU, this set still has trouble muscling through several common walls, notably Gliscor, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory. As such, partners that can soften or lure these walls are highly recommended. This includes common OU Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion, Expert Belt Jirachi, Ice Punch Lucario, and Technician Breloom, all of which naturally attract these Pokemon. Alternatively, Gothitelle can be used to eliminate them with Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, and Thunderbolt. It needs to be noted that a last Pokemon Landorus-T can potentially beat Skarmory and Hippowdon as they can no longer phaze it, as well as opposing Landorus-T lacking Hidden Power Ice.</p>

<p>Leftovers is the item of choice as the extra recovery is very helpful when setting up in front of walls or tanking priority moves. Alternative items for this set include Lum Berry, Yache Berry, Life Orb, and Earth Plate. Lum Berry is especially useful for setting up on Jirachi without fearing a Body Slam paralysis, as well as Will-O-Wisp or Scald burns from bulky Water types, which despite being super effective, can usually be tanked by Landorus-T outside of rain. Yache Berry can be used to take an Ice Shard from Mamoswine, Weavile, or Donphan trying to cut short Landorus-T's sweep. Finally, Life Orb and Earth Plate are useful items that boost Landorus-T's power, the former giving a more significant boost at the cost of HP. However, keep in mind that Leftovers is still the preferred item on this set as it also helps Landorus-T in checking and setting up on the premier physical attacker in the game, Terrakion, as well as other physical attackers such as non-Ice Punch Lucario and Jirachi.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

you're a good writer, keep it up!

also, you don't need to list the ability of a pokemon that only has one

additions deletions comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Landorus-T's respectable bulk, useful ability in Intimidate, and key resistance and immunities to Fighting, (RC) and immunity to Ground, (RC) and Electric attacks make it a perfect candidate for a double boosting set. The main selling point of this set is the flexibility of choosing between going for Swords Dance against slower, more defensive teams, and Rock Polish against weakened, faster teams. its flexibility. With a Swords Dance boost, Landorus can rip through slower, more defensive teams while Rock Polish lets it clean up weakened, faster teams. Due to the aforementioned attributes, it is not uncommon for Landorus-T to grab multiple boosts and decimate unprepared teams. While Terrakion might seem like the superior double booster due to its higher Speed and access to STAB Stone Edge, Landorus-T sports a higher base Attack and has a much easier time setting up on common walls such as Forretress and Ferrothorn thanks to Intimidate and its lack of weaknesses to their STAB moves. Unlike Terrakion, Landorus-T is also not weak to common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, although Ice Shard will quickly dismantle it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As is the case for most sweepers, entry hazards hazard support tremendously helps this set, as not only does Landorus-T naturally forces a lot of switches, but entry hazards also help it achieve OHKOs on some bulkier Pokemon. Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory are all fine choices in this regard. Although Earthquake and Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage in OU, this set still has trouble muscling through several common walls, notably Gliscor, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory. As such Thus, partners that can soften or lure these walls are highly recommended. This includes common OU Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion, Expert Belt Jirachi, Ice Punch Lucario, and Technician Breloom, all of which naturally attract these Pokemon. Alternatively, Gothitelle can be used to eliminate them with Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, and Thunderbolt. It needs to be noted that a last Pokemon Landorus-T Note that as the last Pokemon, Landorus-T can potentially beat Skarmory and Hippowdon as they can no longer phaze it, as well as opposing Landorus-T lacking Hidden Power Ice. (Why is the part about opposing Landorus-T there at all? It doesn't seem necessary. Furthermore, your phrasing is confusing, as it suggests that Landorus-T can use phazing moves. If this is important, please explain why it is and then I'll try to find a better phrasing for it.) </p>

This was quite good. I won't stamp it yet though, as I'd like to resolve the part about opposing Landorus-T before the check is implemented. Please respond and I'll suggest an appropriate change if you wish to keep it, or just not suggest anything if you choose to leave it. Either way, I'll stamp it in response to your response.

gr8astard

additions deletions comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Landorus-T's respectable bulk, useful ability in Intimidate, and key resistance and immunities to Fighting, (RC) and immunity to Ground, (RC) and Electric attacks make it a perfect candidate for a double boosting set. The main selling point of this set is the flexibility of choosing between going for Swords Dance against slower, more defensive teams, and Rock Polish against weakened, faster teams. its flexibility. With a Swords Dance boost, Landorus can rip through slower, more defensive teams while Rock Polish lets it clean up weakened, faster teams. Due to the aforementioned attributes, it is not uncommon for Landorus-T to grab multiple boosts and decimate unprepared teams. While Terrakion might seem like the superior double booster due to its higher Speed and access to STAB Stone Edge, Landorus-T sports a higher base Attack and has a much easier time setting up on common walls such as Forretress and Ferrothorn thanks to Intimidate and its lack of weaknesses to their STAB moves. Unlike Terrakion, Landorus-T is also not weak to common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, although Ice Shard will quickly dismantle it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As is the case for most sweepers, entry hazards hazard support tremendously helps this set, as not only does Landorus-T naturally forces a lot of switches, but entry hazards also help it achieve OHKOs on some bulkier Pokemon. Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory are all fine choices in this regard. Although Earthquake and Stone Edge provides near-perfect coverage in OU, this set still has trouble muscling through several common walls, notably Gliscor, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Skarmory. As such Thus, partners that can soften or lure these walls are highly recommended. This includes common OU Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion, Expert Belt Jirachi, Ice Punch Lucario, and Technician Breloom, all of which naturally attract these Pokemon. Alternatively, Gothitelle can be used to eliminate them with Hidden Power Ice, Grass Knot, and Thunderbolt. It needs to be noted that a last Pokemon Landorus-T Note that as the last Pokemon, Landorus-T can potentially beat Skarmory and Hippowdon as they can no longer phaze it, as well as opposing Landorus-T lacking Hidden Power Ice. (Why is the part about opposing Landorus-T there at all? It doesn't seem necessary. Furthermore, your phrasing is confusing, as it suggests that Landorus-T can use phazing moves. If this is important, please explain why it is and then I'll try to find a better phrasing for it.) </p>

This was quite good. I won't stamp it yet though, as I'd like to resolve the part about opposing Landorus-T before the check is implemented. Please respond and I'll suggest an appropriate change if you wish to keep it, or just not suggest anything if you choose to leave it. Either way, I'll stamp it in response to your response.
Yes you're right, that bit about opposing Landorus-T is quite unnecessary. I'll remove it and implement your edits, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)