Languages

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Language learning has always been something that has intrigued me. Fluent in about 2 other languages besides English (Serbian and French) I've spent a good portion of my life studying these. Why? Well, being from a Serbian background I've learned Serbian in hopes of communicating with family over in Serbia while
I learned French because of how beautiful of a language it is and hearing it spoken is mesmorizing. Currently I'm in the midst of learning 2 other languages (Russian and good ole Latin) as tedious as it sounds, it's actually a great experience and helps in being culturally diverse.

But that being said, do any of you speak any other languages? If so, which and why those particular languages. And if you don't mind, share your methods of learning, be it successful or not. You could also track any current learning progress here if you so desire!:toast:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
*woah
i only know 2 langs actually, hindi and english, always thinking of learning some more(japanese, chinese, spanish, french on the mind atm), but im too busy to look up where/how to learn(nowhere near my home, so internet is the only place left and im lazy to search). Please do tell where you learnt these languages, and if online, do tell me the source. Thanks.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
I started learning Spanish in my first elementary school (I moved to another one in my 4th grade) at first because it was mandatory. I soon realized I loved learning the language, so I took the first opportunity I could--which was in my 7th--to take it up again in school. True, I'm not close to the level of a native speaker just yet, but I've come a long way since then, and I really enjoy learning. In fact, my username was the result of an inside joke in Spanish class. Plus, in 'Merica, Spanish is the second most spoken language, so that's an added bonus. :)

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
*woah
i only know 2 langs actually, hindi and english, always thinking of learning some more(japanese, chinese, spanish, french on the mind atm), but im too busy to look up where/how to learn(nowhere near my home, so internet is the only place left and im lazy to search). Please do tell where you learnt these languages, and if online, do tell me the source. Thanks.
A majority of my Serbian learning was from my grandma (every summer I would visit her and she'd teach me a hella lot) but French was a mixture of an off-school course at a community college along with internet resourses and highschool language ciriculum. But for self learning with Russian, I
use http://www.russianforeveryone.com and for Latin I'm
currently using http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18251/18251-h/files/LatinBegin1.html when it comes to finding internet resources, I find just googling "learn <language you want>" to be extremely effective since there's so many wonderful free resourses out there :] happy learning

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I can speak, read, and write in Russian. Russian was actually my first language before learning English. I was born in the states but my parents are both from St Petersburg and my mom taught me Russian until I was about 13. I still retain most of what I learned mostly speaking everyday with my folks in Russian and occasionally watching movies/reading books on Russian.

I speak English and Dutch fluently. I speak German quite well. I know quite some French, old Latin and old Greek. I know a little Indonesian, Hebrew, Spanish and Japanese.

fluent in english and greek

i've actually become a lot better at written greek from interacting with the greek pokemon community. overall to learn a language imo just hang around people who speak it and speak it with them, and you'll get better

English fluently.
German non-fluently.

Afrikaans, Dutch, and Swedish.. I can get a vague idea of what's going on.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
>English is my third language, and I earned 7.0 in my IELTS score.
Not the best score, but enough to compete with most native speakers.
>Straight A's in Chinese. (Native, duh)
>DELE A1 level for Spanish.
> around N4 level for Japanese. But do not have the mood to revise or to take the exam yet.
>French. Abandoned this. Too much irregular stuff for me. I would much prefer languages with a concrete structure such as Spanish.

do any of you speak any other languages?
I hate to ask, but do you imply you think that most people these days are still monolinguals?
I think bilinguals are the norm, with trilinguals being very common. (At least in the UK, both German and French are compulsory school subjects)
Really, from most countries I know, they have at least 2 foreign languages in their syllabuses.
Monolinguals are just really a minority nowadays. (It's so easy to pick up a language with today's technology and teaching methods.)

Last edited:
I know English and Afrikaans fluently and I know the very basics of isiZulu, like how to hold a brief coversation. Just btw, when are you even permitted to call yourself multilungual? To what extent of your knowledge of a particular language can you say you "know it"? Cause I wouldn't call myself multilungual just because I know 2 languages and then only a little bit of a third one.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think that the majority of the world overall is bilingual, but at least in North American countries, typically only 20% of people are bilingual. Monolingualism is still there, and quite honestly, there's no need for most North Americans to learn another language if they plan on working within their country and not for the government. It's a neat concept though.

I myself only speak English, but I wish I could speak other languages. Unfortunately, I've tried a lot over the years and I simply lack the capacity to do it.

Cresselia~~

I , think that the majority of the world overall is bilingual, but at least in North American countries, typically only 20% of people are bilingual. Monolingualism is still there, and quite honestly, there's no need for most North Americans to learn another language if they plan on working within their country and not for the government. It's a neat concept though.

I myself only speak English, but I wish I could speak other languages. Unfortunately, I've tried a lot over the years and I simply lack the capacity to do it.
I would still say that Spanish is quite important, being spoken by so many countries.
Also, I think USA should have made Spanish compulsory , to show respect to it's neighboring country. I always wanted to ask how come it wasn't compulsory. Is it because Mexico isn't viewed as a rich/ powerful country?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm fluent in both Arabic and English seeing as I lived all my life in Kuwait and recently moved to Ireland for studying, and my English is mostly self-taught although school helped a lot.

I really want to learn German just because Germany is a badass country and it sounds like a fun language, and perhaps Spanish cuz it just sounds cool and seems like one of the important languages one could learn, seeing as how it's common enough.

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Not really fluent in any other languages, however I did study French, German and Spanish for two years each and learnt quite a bit about their languages.

im fluent in both german (from growing up speaking it with my dad) and italian (after being pretty much thrust into an italian school when we moved to florence). i'd love to learn french, because i think it just sounds amazing, but i only had one year of it in school. i try to teach myself some japanese online, but i get lazy with it :(

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
my native language is patois/creole and i can't even speak that; i'm only really fluent in english.
i'm currently learning french but honestly i want to abandon it. i don't enjoy learning it.
i'm really interested in learing polish, marathi and mandarin.

I'm fluent in English, and am currently learning Mandarin. The odd thing is that I've never been able to really grasp pinyin concepts or super great at speaking the language, but I'm pretty good at writing the characters. Always been that way, for some reason.

I notice that quite a lot of you are learning Mandarin. Why is that? Is it trendy in your place?
Dunno about other people, but the schools all around my parts have offered a Mandarin program since... 3rd grade? I don't recall, exactly. That's just me, though. We were required to take it up until High School, where I now take it as an elective.

Cresselia~~

Dunno about other people, but the schools all around my parts have offered a Mandarin program since... 3rd grade? I don't recall, exactly. That's just me, though. We were required to take it up until High School, where I now take it as an elective.
I find it strange. Mexico is right next to USA but Spanish isn't a compulsory subject.
China is like all the way on the other side of the planet, but Mandarin is required o___o.
Poor neighbor.

Anyway, if you guys need help in Mandarin, you can always ask me. I'd be willing to help.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
German is my native language and I learnt english and latin in school, but don't know too much about latin anymore lol

I also did spanish in university and studied in spain for a while, but still aren't fluent.

And I learnt portuguese on NetBattle :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)