Lanturn [4N] - Rain Dance

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't written one of these in a while so please critique away.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lanturn

[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Ice Beam / Confuse Ray
item: Damp Rock
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Lanturn can fill a very special niche for rain teams in that it not only provides a valuable immunity to Electric attacks and can come in to set up Rain Dance on a wide range of special attackers, but can also use the rain to benefit itself as well as its teammates. In the rain, Lanturn can forego its weaker Electric-type attacks for a fully accurate STAB Thunder with a good 30% paralysis rate, while at the same time effectively gaining a second STAB boost on its Water-type attacks.</p>

<p>While Lanturn isn't often seen as an offensive threat, with the rain powering up both its STABs it can do a lot more damage than the average supporting Pokemon on a rain team. Surf is the reliable STAB attack, but Hydro Pump becomes a very appealing alternative when one considers the highly offensive nature of the teams this set would find itself on. With the added base power, Hydro Pump can force the opponent to bring their Water resists into play, giving Lanturn a great opportunity to soften them up for its more threatening rain sweeper teammates. Thunder is the obvious choice for Electric STAB since it provides power, reliability, and a nice paralysis chance in the rain. Ice Beam can go in the last slot to complete coverage and give Lanturn a weapon against Grass-types, but Confuse Ray is a viable support move as well. Confuse Ray can potentially give Lanturn many free turns to set up Rain Dance, while also working with Thunder's paralysis rate to create the dreaded ParaFusion combo.</p>

<p>One of the best things Lanturn brings to the table is some protection against opposing rain teams. Instead of the battle boiling down to the slugfest it often becomes when two hyper offensive rain teams face off, the Lanturn user has valuable resistances to Water, Ice, and Electric backed by high stats on their side. For example, a Gorebyss running Hidden Power Electric instead of Grass can hardly touch Lanturn, giving the Lanturn user a free shot with Thunder at a team that would consist mostly of Water-types, with the added paralysis chance thrown in to wreck any rain sweeper hit by it. Lanturn is also very light and Grass Knot hits it for only 40 BP, meaning that a max Special Attack Life Orb Ludicolo can only manage 35% to Lanturn with it.</p>

<p>Chances are that an offensive rain team won't have space to fit in a Wish passer to keep Lanturn's health up, but some clever playing with Volt Absorb can be just as effective. It's not that hard to pack some Pokemon to draw fire for Lanturn on a rain dance team - Kabutops, Omastar, Gorebyss, Azumarill - all attract Electric-type attacks for Lanturn to soak up. In terms of typing, Ludicolo provides a Ground resist for Lanturn, while in return Lanturn provides a resistance to Flying and the rain support Ludicolo needs to be effective. Altaria makes for a good partner as well for Lanturn, immune to or 4x resisting both of its weaknesses, and also with the ability to set up Rain Dance itself and provide further team support with Heal Bell if need be. While it does share a common weakness to Ground with Lanturn, Muk can be a very valuable teammate for Lanturn because of its ability to easily take on Roserade, Venusuar, and Leafeon, the threatening Grass-types Lanturn inevitably draws in. Muk can also set up Rain Dance as well, and soaks up hazardous Toxic Spikes that would slash the sweeping potential of the likes of Ludicolo and Kabutops.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can you give more specific examples of why you would use Hydro Pump over Surf? Other than the obvious added power, I don't see why you would want to risk missing on something as defensive as Lanturn. Most people will bring their Water resist in the moment they see rain, so that really isn't an advantage to using Hydro Pump.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can you give more specific examples of why you would use Hydro Pump over Surf? Other than the obvious added power, I don't see why you would want to risk missing on something as defensive as Lanturn. Most people will bring their Water resist in the moment they see rain, so that really isn't an advantage to using Hydro Pump.
I thought that was the argument for not using shaky accuracy moves on frail Pokemon but ok. Hydro Pump was really a personal preference thing when I used this so I decided to slash it in, but here are some calcs:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"][B]Surf[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"][B]Hydro Pump[/B][/COLOR]

vs 252/156+ Registeel: [COLOR="Red"][B]25.00 - 29.67%[/B][/COLOR]
vs 252/156+ Registeel: [B][COLOR="Blue"]31.32 - 37.09%[/COLOR][/B]

likely chance to 3HKO which is good when you think about how Lanturn is immune to Thunder Wave and 4x resists Iron Head

vs 252/0 Uxie: [B][COLOR="Red"]35.59 - 41.80%[/COLOR][/B]
vs 252/0 Uxie: [B][COLOR="Blue"]44.91 - 52.82%[/COLOR][/B]

likely 2HKO after SR

vs 252/136+ Hitmontop: [B][COLOR="Red"]38.49 - 45.39%[/COLOR][/B]
vs 252/136+ Hitmontop: [B][COLOR="Blue"]48.36 - 57.24%[/COLOR][/B]

likely 2HKO

registeel and uxie are often used to paralyze or stop physical rain sweepers, and hitmontop tries to revenge a lot with priority. Being able to do significant amounts of damage to them is handy.
I liked Hydro Pump because in the rain it was strong enough to force opponents to bring in their valuable Water resistances (like I pointed out in the set comments), which I could then weaken further with Thunder if need be or just leave them in that weakened state for another one of my Water types to pick up on and take out. Anyway it's just a slash in, I can remove it if you want.

The slash seems fine for Surf / Hydro Pump, it's really just a personal preference thing. And I agree with LR, I'd rather use Hydro Pump on Lanturn that say Sharpedo, for arguments sake, who is way to frail to risk a miss.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't written one of these in a while so please critique away.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lanturn

[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Ice Beam / Confuse Ray
item: Damp Rock
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Lanturn can fill a ("very" taken out) special niche for rain teams in that it not only provides a valuable immunity to Electric attacks and can come in to set up Rain Dance on a wide range of special attackers, but can also use the rain to benefit itself as well as its teammates. In the rain, Lanturn can forego its weaker Electric-type attacks for a fully accurate STAB Thunder with a good 30% paralysis rate, while at the same time ("effectively" taken out) gaining the equivelant of a Choice Specs boost on its Water-type moves (idk, I thought this sentence sounded better).</p>

<p>While Lanturn isn't often seen as an offensive threat, with the rain powering up both its STABs, (comma added) it can do a lot more damage than the average support Pokemon on a rain team. Surf is the more reliable STAB attack, but Hydro Pump becomes a very appealing alternative when one considers the significant power advantage that it has over Surf. With the added base power, Hydro Pump can force the opponent to bring their Water resists into play, giving Lanturn a great opportunity to soften them up for its more threatening rain sweeper teammates. Thunder is the obvious choice for Electric STAB since it provides power, reliability, and a nice 30% paralysis chance in the rain. Ice Beam can go in the last slot for additional coverage, and give Lanturn a weapon against Grass-types; however, Confuse Ray is a viable support move as well. Confuse Ray can potentially give Lanturn many free turns to set up Rain Dance, while also working with Thunder's paralysis rate to create the dreaded ParaFusion combo.</p>
Changes in Bold
Nice write up, LR, I just noticed some grammar mistakes, and changed some sentences. The rest of it looked good, so I just snuck in an edit for the first two paragraphs. What is the current status of the write-up?​

There really aren't any problems with the writing as it is, but I do suggest removing Confuse Ray's slash. Very rarely, in my use of Lanturn, will one of its switch-ins be worth confusing; Roserade is certainly not (even if you hit in on the switch predicting its arrival considering you'd have been better off simply using Ice Beam), Earthquake users aren't worth it considering Lanturn's low Defense, you really aren't beating Chansey anyway, etc., any time that is "bought" from its use you'd have been better off just setting up Rain Dance already. imo it still deserves mention in the set comments if you find it useful (I haven't tested it on this set).

okay yes, major excuse to post in LR thread -L- but I'm just acknowledging this thread because I have the Lanturn rewrite under my wing!!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Like I did with the other Rain Dance sets, I'm moving this to Archives and slapping the tag on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)