RU Lanturn

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########
Lanturn's coveted resistances to common offensive types such as Fire, Flying, Ice, and Water, as well as an immunity to Electric, grant it the unique ability to wall powerful threats such as Moltres, Magneton, Fletchinder, and Emboar. Its slow Volt Switch allows frailer teammates to switch in without fear of attack, and on top of this, Lanturn packs STAB Scald to ward off Ground-types that may want to block Volt Switch or even just physical attackers that may want to set up on it. Lanturn can further support its team with Heal Bell, and unlike other clerics such as Aromatisse, it does not necessarily sacrifice momentum to do so.

That said, Lanturn is held back by middling Special Attack and Defense stats. It is very easily worn down due to its lack of recovery and vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, as it is generally needed to switch into dangerous threats constantly. It is a bit of a liability against Grass-type threats, such as Virizion and Shiftry, and is particularly susceptible to Dugtrio. This can be an issue because one of the threats Lanturn is supposed to wall, Moltres, can use U-turn to get Dugtrio in safely.

Pivot
########
name: Pivot
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Scald
move 3: Protect
move 4: Heal Bell / Toxic
ability: Volt Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 104 HP / 192 Def / 212 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Volt Switch is the main draw of using Lanturn. Lanturn forces many switches and can gain momentum with Volt Switch, and because of its low Speed, it is often able to allow a teammate to come in unscathed even if the opponent does not switch. Its second move, Scald, is highly threatening to Fire-types, such as Moltres. Very few Pokemon are willing to switch into Scald due to its burn chance, and it also deters Ground-types that may want to block Volt Switch. Protect allows Lanturn to secure Leftovers recovery, which is important because Lanturn often must take many attacks over the course of a battle and has no other recovery of its own. It also incurs possible burn or poison damage inflicted on Lanturn's foes and scouts for attacks, which is especially useful against enemies holding Choice items. Heal Bell removes any status conditions Lanturn's teammates have incurred, but if the team does not require a cleric or already carries another one, Lanturn can use Toxic to wear down bulky foes that are not immediately threatened by Lanturn's attacks, such as Slowking. Thunder Wave is another option, crippling fast offensive Pokemon and supporting Lanturn's slower teammates, but be advised that Lanturn personally cannot take advantage of paralysis, as it prefers having a slow Volt Switch and relies somewhat on residual burn or poison damage.

Set Details
========

Volt Absorb is preferred over Water Absorb because Lanturn already packs a resistance to Water, while it is otherwise neutrally hit by Electric; furthermore, Volt Absorb allows Lanturn to block enemy Volt Switches. Leftovers regenerates Lanturn's health passively, which is crucial, as Lanturn possesses no recovery of its own. Lanturn's EV spread is flexible and can be adjusted to suit your team's needs; you can opt for a more physically defensive spread or a more specially defensive spread. The suggested EV spread aims to maximize Lanturn's overall defenses while minimizing residual damage, with a bias towards Special Defense, as Lanturn primarily takes special attacks. A slightly more physically defensive spread of 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD with a Calm nature can be used so that Lanturn can take certain attacks better, such as Psyshock, U-turn, Houndoom's Crunch, Emboar's Flare Blitz, or Fletchinder's Acrobatics, though this comes at the cost of some Special Defense. Such a spread also ensures that Lanturn always survives Life Orb Dugtrio's Earthquake when at full health. Dropping Lanturn's Speed IV to 26 allows minimum Speed Alomomola to outspeed Lanturn so that Lanturn's Volt Switch brings in a teammate unscathed.

Usage Tips
========

Lanturn is a great switch-in to special attackers whose moves it resists, such as Moltres, Magneton, Clawitzer, and offensive Jolteon. It is not incredibly physically bulky, however, so while you shouldn't hesitate to switch it into Fletchinder, whose attacks Lanturn generally resists, be careful when switching Lanturn into powerful wallbreakers such as Emboar. Take advantage of Lanturn's ability to wall and force out many Pokemon by using Volt Switch to set up an advantageous matchup, but don't use Volt Switch blindly against teams with Pokemon immune to Electric. You may want to anticipate Ground-types such as Dugtrio and Scald them, for instance. Lastly, if Lanturn is slower than a certain Pokemon that does not threaten it at all (such as Alomomola, which might hit your other team members with a Scald burn or Toxic) you may want to switch in Lanturn so you can then Volt Switch out to another Pokemon safely.

Team Options
========

As Lanturn is mostly a support Pokemon itself, it generally does not require too much support. It should be coupled with Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Lanturn's slow Volt Switch provides, Pokemon that despise status, such as Cresselia, or Pokemon that rely on Rest for recovery, such as Curse Registeel. Lanturn personally hates Toxic Spikes and Spikes-stacking in general, so some entry hazard control is advised, especially paired with grounded Poison-types. Furthermore, it can create VoltTurn chains with teammates that possess U-turn or Volt Switch of their own, including Moltres, Meloetta, or Rotom-C. As Lanturn is easily worn down, it appreciates Wish support on more defensive teams, although be wary of using Alomomola due to redundancy in its role and typing. In addition to Wish, Aromatisse can use Heal Bell, taking pressure off of Lanturn and freeing up a moveslot for it to use Toxic. One particularly good teammate for Lanturn is Golbat, which can handle Grass-types, Defog away entry hazards, and if necessary, continue a U-turn chain. It is also immune to Ground-type attacks, which Lanturn is weak to, but it should not switch directly into Rhyperior.

Other Options
########

Thunderbolt and Discharge have some merit as STAB Electric-type attacks that do not force Lanturn to switch out. Substitute and Charge Beam can take advantage of slower teams and boost Lanturn's Special Attack, but this set would be less than useful against offensive teams. Rest and Sleep Talk alleviate some of Lanturn's issues with recovery and status, but such a set is inherently unreliable. Ice Beam is one of Lanturn's more threatening options against Grass-types such as Rotom-C and Tangrowth, though it's generally weak against targets that are hit neutrally. Choice Specs gives Lanturn some extra power behind its attacks. Confuse Ray in conjunction with paralysis can force damaging switches when coupled with Spikes-stacking. An Agility set can sweep extremely frail teams late-game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Gastrodon and Seismitoad**: Though they don't appreciate Toxic, Gastrodon and Seismitoad can block Volt Switch and are immune to Scald. They can use these free turns to Recover, spread status, set up Stealth Rock, or remove items from Lanturn and its teammates.

**Grass-types**: Though they are usually susceptible to Scald burns, Grass-types such as Shiftry, Rotom-C, and Tangrowth resist both of Lanturn's STABs and can hit hard back. Virizion can even threaten to set up on Lanturn.

**Druddigon**: Druddigon is one of the most threatening Pokemon that Lanturn does not significantly threaten. While Lanturn can potentially burn it with Scald, Druddigon does not otherwise mind switching into anything Lanturn uses and can use the turns to fire off powerful attacks or set up Stealth Rock.

**Dugtrio**: If Dugtrio is given a free switchin, such as through Moltres's U-turn, it can trap and dispatch of Lanturn, though of course it does not want to switch into Lanturn's Scald. Dugtrio generally requires some prior damage in order to OHKO Lanturn.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: As Lanturn lacks much offensive pressure, it risks giving free turns to Pokemon such as Curse Registeel or Calm Mind Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia. Slurpuff, while it is not as bulky and generally dislikes burns, can set up a game-ending Belly Drum if given just one free turn against Lanturn.

**Bulky Support Pokemon**: Lanturn's poor offensive pressure also allows bulkier support Pokemon to take advantage of free turns. Aromatisse, for instance, is not threatened by Lanturn and can pass Wishes or cure its allies of status.

**Strong Physical Attacks**: Lanturn relies on its typing and has middling physical defense, so it is generally vulnerable to strong attackers such as Pangoro, Tyrantrum or Life Orb Hitmonlee. It threatens most physical attackers with a Scald burn, however.

Last edited:

SlottedPig

sem feio
Stuff for QC to consider:

Setting Lanturn's Speed IVs to 26 allows minimum speed Alomomola to outspeed it. If you want to cure a teammate of status but don't want to be burned/poisoned immediately after, this allows you to pull off a slow Heal Bell. It also allows you to tank/scout whatever move Alomomola uses before Volt Switching, but this may not always be necessary/important.

I'm not sure if Protect should be slashed with Heal Bell, but if Lanturn's team already has a cleric it isn't necessary and Protect helps with how easily Lanturn is worn down.

Lanturn needs either Discharge or Thunderbolt to beat Work Up + Refresh Mega Pidgeot.

Also, past Lanturn analyses have used 32 HP, 36 HP, 40 HP, 52 HP EVs... it's really all over the place. Just for clarification, 40 HP EVs yields 401 HP, which is (divisible by 16) +1. Also, 252 Def might be more than Lanturn needs -- I personally use 220 Def, 248 SpD Calm as this hits a bonus point. It really doesn't switch into more than Brave Bird, U-turn or Psyshock but Defense EVs are really important for tanking Emboar's attacks so that's a judgment call. 40 HP / 252 Def also just barely prevents LO Dugtrio from ever being able to OHKO 100% Lanturn (max 99.7%).

Last edited:
i used lanturn a lot!

protect shouldn't be a slash with heal bell imo, but rather a standalone in the third slot, with heal bell / toxic as the final move. clerical capabilities are neat n all, but ideally, lanturn is being played on balance, where it's role as a defensive pivot is best taken advantage of, which makes aforementioned abilities somewhat of a secondary (at least, the way i played it). on the other hand, the ability to accrue chip damage through scald burns, toxics, etc., scout assorted choiced 'mons, and just generally pick up extra lefties is so useful in application, to the point where i'd almost never not run it. mention the 26 speed ivs bit in set details or what have you, since it's definitely a valid application. i'm fine with the ev spread at hand, since pokemon such as these can be quite malleable in terms of evs, though do mention at least a couple applications to the def investment (being, as you said, psyshocks, u-turns, emboar, and fletchinder as well). mention the whole discharge + tbolt dealio in moves, though i'd mention that lanturn doesn't necessarily have to beat work up pidgeot so much so as pivot into it as to bring in a pokemon that can (after volt switch dmg).

also, mention agility in oo, it'll be cool soon i swear!

SlottedPig

sem feio
I implemented all of your suggestions. I'd still like more input on Protect though, as Lanturn forces lots of switches and Protect doesn't really capitalize on them as much.

Your post was a little unclear on this but I also made 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD the main spread with a heavy mention of 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok by the way, the hp number used in your spread is inefficient. Lanturn's hp is not quite high enough that running that low of a number is good. If the preference is for a lefties number +1 (for minimal residual) like you have currently, which makes sense, a spread of 104 hp/192 def/212+spd achieves slightly better bulk on both sides, although obviously because neither defense stat is close to maxed in this spread, there's a fair amount of room to tinker to achieve specific calcs.

+6 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 40 HP / 248+ SpD Lanturn: 1562-1841 (389.5 - 459.1%)
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 104 HP / 212+ SpD Lanturn: 1622-1911 (388.9 - 458.2%)
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 220 Def Lanturn: 2582-3042 (643.8 - 758.6%)
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 192 Def Lanturn: 2676-3150 (641.7 - 755.3%)

(i just made these the strongest things off the top of my head, because small changes in bulk obviously show up better at greater amounts of damage)

SlottedPig

sem feio
Good to know -- I probably should've tinkered with the EV spreads more. Also, Imanalt's spread seems to be the sweet spot between maximizing both of Lanturn's defenses. 168 HP / 192 Def / 148 SpD Calm, which yields the next leftovers+1 number, is slightly less bulky on less sides than 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD Calm.

I'll make 104 HP / 192 Def / 212 SpD Calm the default spread, but 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD (edit: 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD) Calm will still get a mention as it's still slightly bulkier physically.

Last edited:

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good to know -- I probably should've tinkered with the EV spreads more. Also, Imanalt's spread seems to be the sweet spot between maximizing both of Lanturn's defenses. 168 HP / 192 Def / 148 SpD Calm, which yields the next leftovers+1 number, is slightly less bulky on less sides than 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD Calm.

I'll make 104 HP / 192 Def / 212 SpD Calm the default spread, but 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD Calm will still get a mention as it's still slightly bulkier physically.
Actually, the 252 def spread is also outclassed by a 104 hp spread. 104 hp/224 def/180+ SpD is bulkier very slightly.
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 1614-1903 (402.4 - 474.5%)
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 104 HP / 180+ SpD Lanturn: 1677-1976 (402.1 - 473.8%)
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 2490-2930 (620.9 - 730.6%)
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 224 Def Lanturn: 2574-3030 (617.2 - 726.6%)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is real clean work, good job on your first skeleton/analysis :]

Add wish to teammates (aromatisse mainly)

I'm hesitant on Xatu being mentioned in team options because it's not exactly the most relevant of threats.. put like, meloetta and moltres, the latter which actually has very decent defensive synergy

edit: i remember using parafusion for lolz so u might wanna put that in OO lol, or at least put t-wave there

lol @ sucker punch xD

QC Approved 1/3

Last edited:

SlottedPig

sem feio
Arikado Thanks! I implemented all of your suggestions (iffy on Confuse Ray though). I assume you meant QC Approved 1/3 though since this doesn't have any prior QC checks.

Thunder Wave is AT LEAST as good as Heal Bell Toxic and Protect (which i guess is ok but probably not worth a main slash) if not better to check stuff like fast Grass types such as non evolved Sceptile and Serperior (!) and Virizion miles better as well as preventing Pidgeot from roosting on you if like Toxic Spikes are up. It should be slashed AT WORST

SlottedPig

sem feio
Thunder Wave is great for catching offensive mons on the switch or those that might try to set up on you, but I think Lanturn struggles with finding moveslots for it. It simply doesn't fit easily on a Pokemon who relies on Scald burns/toxic damage. It also conflicts slightly with Lanturn's role as a slow bulky Volt Switcher, and many of the Pokemon that Lanturn would like to paralyze (offensive Grass types mainly) it can only catch on the switch, in which case it's not a huge loss to not have T-Wave as you can usually just Volt Switch out if you predict them to want to switch in.

also how would you want T-Wave slashed? I am assuming something like the following as Thunder Wave + Scald + Toxic on the same set is highly redundant:

move 3: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 4: Heal Bell / Protect

All that said, I will admit that it's quite a good option to deter setup sweepers like Slurpuff and Durant if they manage to get a free switchin and might want to chance the 30% burn chance. I'd like to see what other QC members have to say about this.

Reactions: g

tehy

Banned deucer.
Hey

So at the aromatisse team option; it's a great teammate since this dude lieks wish support, but they both/have heal bell, so mention that one of them can give it up pretty easily (i think lanturn appreciates that more tho), also it can take on fires and espc. steel attacks for aromatisse

SlottedPig

sem feio
Okay so since the suspect test is over I'll be working on this again! I removed all mentions of the suspects and placed less emphasis on SpD Golbat. I'm also still not sure how much emphasis should be given to Thunder Wave, so right now I mentioned it in moves but did not give it a main set slash. I am also willing to reduce the emphasis given to Protect as it is less necessary than it was when Pidgeot was in the tier.

Edit: I also removed all mentions of Gligar and Mega Sceptile.

Last edited:
Ice beam should definitely be in oo as it bothers stuff like tangrowth greatly and isn't terrible. Remove sucker Punch as it only damages jynx which is clearly not worth it

C&c needs some improvement and stuff like druddigon, offensive pressure, volt switch immunities, walls (as lanturn is bound to give free turns at times to wish users), bulky setup sweepers (think of cress reuniclus meloetta etc.).

Do this and let me know

SlottedPig

sem feio
galbia

I did most of what you asked, but I am slightly skeptical about adding "Volt Switch blockers" as a general counter. Many of them generally don't want to switch in (Jolteon, Camerupt, Rhyperior, Steelix unless it has Rest with full SpD investment, Lanturn is a stalemate). I did however add Gastrodon and Seismitoad as hard counters.

rip sucker punch

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
I like your writing style :D

Overview
########
Lanturn's coveted resistances to common offensive types such as Fire, Flying, Ice, (comma) and Water as well as an immunity to Electric grant it the unique ability to wall powerful threats like such as Moltres, Magneton, Fletchinder, and Emboar. Its slow Volt Switch allows frailer teammates to switch in without fear of attack, and on top of this, Lanturn packs STAB Scald to ward off Ground-types who that may want to block Volt Switch or even just physical attackers who that may want to set up on it. Lanturn can further support its team with Heal Bell, and unlike other clerics such as Aromatisse, it does not necessarily sacrifice momentum to do so.

That said, Lanturn is held back by middling Special Attack and Defense stats. It is very easily worn down due to a its lack of recovery and vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, as it is generally needed to switch into dangerous threats constantly. It is a bit of a liability against Grass-Type threats like Grass-type threats such as Virizion and Shiftry, (remove comma) and is particularly susceptible to Dugtrio. This can be an issue, (comma) as one of the threats Lanturn is supposed to wall, Moltres, can use U-turn to get Dugtrio in safely.

Pivot
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is the main draw of using Lanturn. Lanturn forces many switches (? not sure if that's what you meant) switchins and can gain momentum with Volt Switch, and because of its low Speed since it is slow anyways, it is often able to allow a teammate to come in unscathed even if the opponent does not switch. Its second move, Scald, is highly threatening to Fire-types like such as Moltres. Very few Pokemon things are willing to switch into Scald due to its burn chance, and it also deters Ground-types that who may want to block Volt Switch. Protect allows Lanturn to secure Leftovers recovery, which is important, (comma) as Lanturn often must take many attacks over the course of a battle and has no other recovery of its own. It also incurs possible burn or poison damage inflicted on Lanturn's foes opponents and scouts for attacks, which is especially useful against enemies holding Choice items. Heal Bell removes any status conditions restores Lanturn's teammates of any status conditions it has have incurred, but if the team does not require a cleric or already carries another one, Lanturn can use Toxic to wear down bulky opponents foes that are not immediately threatened by Lanturn's attacks, such as Slowking. Thunder Wave is another option, crippling fast offensive Pokemon or and supporting Lanturn's slower teammates, but be advised that Lanturn personally does not cannot take advantage of paralysis, (comma) as it prefers having a slow Volt Switch and relies somewhat on residual burn or poison damage.

Set Details
========

Volt Absorb is preferred over Water Absorb because Lanturn already packs a resistance to Water, (comma) while it is otherwise neutrally hit by Electric; furthermore, Volt Absorb allows Lanturn to block enemy Volt Switches. Leftovers regenerates Lanturn's health passively, which is crucial, (comma) as Lanturn possesses no recovery of its own. Lanturn's EV spread is flexible and can be adjusted to suit your team's needs; you can opt for a more physically defensive spread or a more specially defensive spread, skewing it towards either the physical or specially defensive ends of the spectrum. (no spectrum) The suggested EV spread aims to maximize Lanturn's overall defenses while minimizing residual damage, with a bias towards Special Defense, as Lanturn primarily takes special attacks. A slightly more physically defensive spread of 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD with a Calm nature can be used so that Lanturn can take certain attacks better at the cost of its special defense, such as Psyshock, U-turn, Houndoom's Crunch from Houndoom, Emboar's Flare Blitz, or Fletchinder's Acrobatics, though this comes at the cost of some Special Defense. Such a spread also ensures that Lanturn always survives Life Orb Dugtrio's Earthquake when at max full health. Dropping Lanturn's Speed IV to 26 allows minimum Speed Alomomola to outspeed Lanturn so that Lanturn's Volt Switch brings in a teammate unscathed.

Usage Tips
========

Lanturn is a great switch-in to special attackers whose moves it resists, (comma) such as Moltres, Magneton, Clawitzer, and offensive Jolteon. It is not incredibly physically bulky on the physical side (no sides), however, so while you shouldn't hesitate to switch it into Fletchinder, whose attacks Lanturn generally resists, be careful when switching Lanturn into powerful wallbreakers such as like Emboar. Take advantage of Lanturn's ability to wall and force out many Pokemon by using Volt Switch to set up an advantageous matchup, but don't use Volt Switch blindly against teams with Pokemon immune to Electric immunities. You may want to anticipate Ground-types such as like Dugtrio and Scald them, for instance. Lastly, if you are Lanturn is slower than a certain Pokemon who that does not threaten it Lanturn at all (such as Alomomola, who which might hit your other teammates members with a Scald burn or Toxic) you may want to switch in Lanturn so you can then Volt Switch out to another Pokemon safely.

Team Options
========

As Lanturn is mostly a support Pokemon itself, it generally does not require too much support. It should be coupled with Pokemon who that appreciate the free switches Lanturn's slow Volt Switch provides either need free switch-ins thanks to Lanturn's Volt Switch, Pokemon that who despise status, (comma) such as Cresselia, or Pokemon who that rely on Rest for recovery, such as Curse Registeel. Lanturn personally hates Toxic Spikes and Spikes-stacking in general, so some entry hazard control is advised, especially paired with grounded Poison-types. Furthermore, it can create VoltTurn chains with teammates that possess U-turn or Volt Switch of their own, including Moltres, Meloetta, or Rotom-C. As Lanturn is susceptible to being easily worn down, it appreciates Wish support on more defensive teams, although you should be wary of using Alomomola due to redundancy in its role and typing. In addition to Wish, Aromatisse can use Heal Bell, taking off some pressure off of Lanturn's pressure and freeing up a moveslot for it up to use Toxic instead of Heal Bell. One particularly good teammate for Lanturn is Golbat, who which can handle Grass-types, Defog away entry hazards, and if necessary, continue a U-turn chain. It is also immune to Ground-type attacks, which that Lanturn is weak to, but it usually should not switch directly into Rhyperior.

Other Options
########

Thunderbolt and Discharge have some merit as STAB Electric-type attacks that do not force Lanturn to switch out. Substitute and Charge Beam can take advantage of slower teams and boost Lanturn's Special Attack, but this set would be less than useful against offensive teams. Rest and Sleep Talk alleviate some of Lanturn's issues with recovery and status, but such a set is inherently unreliable. Ice Beam is one of Lanturn's more threatening options against Grass-types such as Rotom-C and Tangrowth, though it's generally weak against neutrally hit targets that are hit neutrally. Choice Specs gives Lanturn some extra power behind its attacks. Confuse Ray, coupled with paralysis, can force switches when coupled with Spikes-stacking (you use 'coupled with' twice here, so I'd change one of them. maybe use 'in conjunction with' or just 'and'? up to you). An Agility set can sweep extremely frail teams late-game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Gastrodon and Seismitoad**: Though they don't appreciate Toxic, Gastrodon and Seismitoad can block Volt Switch and are immune to Scald. They can use these free turns to Recover, spread status, set up Stealth Rock, or remove items from Lanturn and its teammates.

**Grass-types**: Though they are usually susceptible to Scald burns, Grass-Types liketypes such as Shiftry, Rotom-C, and Tangrowth resist both of Lanturn's STABs and can hit hard back. Virizion can even threaten to set up on Lanturn it.

**Druddigon**: Druddigon is one of the most threatening Pokemon that Lanturn does not significantly threaten. While Lanturn can potentially burn it with Scald, Druddigon does not otherwise mind switching into anything Lanturn uses and can use the turns to fire off powerful attacks or set up Stealth Rock.

**Dugtrio**: If Dugtrio is given a free switch-in (remove dash), such as through Moltres's U-turn, it can trap and dispatch of Lanturn, though of course it does not want to switch into Lanturn's Scald. Dugtrio generally requires some prior damage in order to OHKO Lanturn.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: As Lanturn lacks much offensive pressure, it risks giving free turns to Pokemon such as like Curse Registeel or Calm Mind Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia. Slurpuff, while it is not as bulky and generally dislikes disliking burns, can set up a game-ending Belly Drum if given just one free turn against Lanturn.

**Bulky Support Pokemon**: Lanturn's poor offensive pressure also allows bulkier support Pokemon to take advantage of free turns. Aromatisse, for instance, is not threatened by Lanturn and can pass Wishes or cure its allies of status.

**Strong Physical Attacks**: Lanturn relies on its typing and has middling physical defense, and so it is generally susceptible vulnerable to strong attackers like such as Pangoro, Tyrantrum, (comma) or Life Orb Hitmonlee. It threatens most physical attackers with a Scald burn, however.

Add / Correction
Remove
Comment

**Amcheck**

Overview
########
Lanturn's coveted resistances to common offensive types such as Fire, Flying, Ice, and Water, (AC) as well as an immunity to Electric, (AC) grant it the unique ability to wall powerful threats such as Moltres, Magneton, Fletchinder, and Emboar. Its slow Volt Switch allows frailer teammates to switch in without fear of attack, and on top of this, Lanturn packs STAB Scald to ward off Ground-types that may want to block Volt Switch or even just physical attackers that may want to set up on it. Lanturn can further support its team with Heal Bell, and unlike other clerics such as Aromatisse, it does not necessarily sacrifice momentum to do so.

That said, Lanturn is held back by middling Special Attack and Defense stats. It is very easily worn down due to its lack of recovery and vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, as it is generally needed to switch into dangerous threats constantly. It is a bit of a liability against Grass-type threats, (AC) such as Virizion and Shiftry, (AC) and is particularly susceptible to Dugtrio. This can be an issue as because one of the threats Lanturn is supposed to wall, Moltres, can use U-turn to get Dugtrio in safely.

Pivot
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is the main draw of using Lanturn. Lanturn forces many switches and can gain momentum with Volt Switch, and because of its low Speed, it is often able to allow a teammate to come in unscathed even if the opponent does not switch. Its second move, Scald, is highly threatening to Fire-types, (AC) such as Moltres. Very few Pokemon are willing to switch into Scald due to its burn chance, and it also deters Ground-types that may want to block Volt Switch. Protect allows Lanturn to secure Leftovers recovery, which is important as because Lanturn often must take many attacks over the course of a battle and has no other recovery of its own. It also incurs possible burn or poison damage inflicted on Lanturn's foes and scouts for attacks, which is especially useful against enemies holding Choice items. Heal Bell removes any status conditions Lanturn's teammates have (space between "teammates have") incurred, but if the team does not require a cleric or already carries another one, Lanturn can use Toxic to wear down bulky foes that are not immediately threatened by Lanturn's attacks, such as Slowking. Thunder Wave is another option, crippling fast offensive Pokemon and supporting (space between "and supporting") Lanturn's slower teammates, but be advised that Lanturn personally cannot take advantage of paralysis, as it prefers having a slow Volt Switch and relies somewhat on residual burn or poison damage.

Set Details
========

Volt Absorb is preferred over Water Absorb because Lanturn already packs a resistance to Water, while it is otherwise neutrally hit by Electric; furthermore, Volt Absorb allows Lanturn to block enemy Volt Switches. Leftovers regenerates Lanturn's health passively, which is crucial, as Lanturn possesses no recovery of its own. Lanturn's EV spread is flexible and can be adjusted to suit your team's needs; you can opt for a more physically defensive spread or a more specially defensive spread. The suggested EV spread aims to maximize Lanturn's overall defenses while minimizing residual damage, with a bias towards Special Defense, as Lanturn primarily takes special attacks. A slightly more physically defensive spread of 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD with a Calm nature can be used so that Lanturn can take certain attacks better, such as Psyshock, U-turn, Houndoom's Crunch, Emboar's Flare Blitz, or Fletchinder's Acrobatics, though this comes at the cost of some Special Defense. Such a spread also ensures that Lanturn always survives Life Orb Dugtrio's Earthquake when at full health. Dropping Lanturn's Speed IV to 26 allows minimum Speed Alomomola to outspeed Lanturn so that Lanturn's Volt Switch brings in a teammate unscathed.

Usage Tips
========

Lanturn is a great switch-in to special attackers whose moves it resists, such as Moltres, Magneton, Clawitzer, and offensive Jolteon. It is not incredibly physically bulky, however, so while you shouldn't hesitate to switch it into Fletchinder, whose attacks Lanturn generally resists, be careful when switching Lanturn into powerful wallbreakers such as Emboar. Take advantage of Lanturn's ability to wall and force out many Pokemon by using Volt Switch to set up an advantageous matchup, but don't use Volt Switch blindly against teams with Pokemon (space between "with Pokemon) immune to Electric. You may want to anticipate Ground-types such as Dugtrio and Scald them, for instance. Lastly, if Lanturn is slower than a certain Pokemon that does not threaten it at all (such as Alomomola, which might hit your other team members with a Scald burn or Toxic) you may want to switch in Lanturn so you can then Volt Switch out to another Pokemon safely.

Team Options
========

As Lanturn is mostly a support Pokemon itself, it generally does not require too much support. It should be coupled with Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Lanturn's slow Volt Switch provides, Pokemon that despise status, such as Cresselia, or Pokemon that rely on Rest for recovery, such as Curse Registeel. Lanturn personally hates Toxic Spikes and Spikes-stacking in general, so some entry hazard control is advised, especially paired with grounded Poison-types. Furthermore, it can create VoltTurn chains with teammates that possess U-turn or Volt Switch of their own, including Moltres, Meloetta, or Rotom-C. As Lanturn is easily worn down, it appreciates Wish support on more defensive teams, although you it should be wary of using Alomomola due to redundancy in its role and typing. In addition to Wish, Aromatisse can use Heal Bell, taking pressure off of Lanturn and freeing up a moveslot for it to use Toxic. One particularly good teammate for Lanturn is Golbat, which can handle Grass-types, Defog away entry hazards, and if necessary, continue a U-turn chain. It is also immune to Ground-type attacks, which Lanturn is weak to, but it usually should not switch directly into Rhyperior.

Other Options
########

Thunderbolt and Discharge have some merit as STAB Electric-type attacks that do not force Lanturn to switch out. Substitute and Charge Beam can take advantage of slower teams and boost Lanturn's Special Attack, but this set would be less than useful against offensive teams. Rest and Sleep Talk alleviate some of Lanturn's issues with recovery and status, but such a set is inherently unreliable. Ice Beam is one of Lanturn's more threatening options against Grass-types such as Rotom-C and Tangrowth, though it's generally weak against targets that are hit neutrally. Choice Specs gives Lanturn some extra power behind its attacks. Confuse Ray in conjunction with paralysis can force damaging switches when coupled with Spikes-stacking. An Agility set can sweep extremely frail teams late-game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass-types**: Though they are usually susceptible to Scald burns, Grass-types such as Shiftry, Rotom-C, and Tangrowth resist both of Lanturn's STABs and can hit hard back. Virizion can even threaten to set up on Lanturn.

**Dugtrio**: If Dugtrio is given a free switchin, such as through Moltres's U-turn, it can trap and dispatch of Lanturn, though of course it does not want to switch into Lanturn's Scald. Dugtrio generally requires some prior damage in order to OHKO Lanturn.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: As Lanturn lacks much offensive pressure, it risks giving free turns to Pokemon such as Curse Registeel or Calm Mind Reuniclus, Meloetta, and Cresselia. Slurpuff, while it is not as bulky and generally dislikes burns, can set up a game-ending Belly Drum if given just one free turn against Lanturn.

**Strong Physical Attacks**: Lanturn relies on its typing and has middling physical defense, so it is generally vulnerable to strong attackers such as Pangoro, Tyrantrum or Life Orb Hitmonlee. It threatens most physical attackers with a Scald burn, however.

You seemed to have accidentally combined a few of your words together. q.q

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Add / Correction
Remove
Comment

**Amcheck**

Overview
########
Lanturn's coveted resistances to common offensive types such as Fire, Flying, Ice, and Water, (AC) as well as an immunity to Electric, (AC) grant it the unique ability to wall powerful threats such as Moltres, Magneton, Fletchinder, and Emboar. Its slow Volt Switch allows frailer teammates to switch in without fear of attack, and on top of this, Lanturn packs STAB Scald to ward off Ground-types that may want to block Volt Switch or even just physical attackers that may want to set up on it. Lanturn can further support its team with Heal Bell, and unlike other clerics such as Aromatisse, it does not necessarily sacrifice momentum to do so.

That said, Lanturn is held back by middling Special Attack and Defense stats. It is very easily worn down due to its lack of recovery and vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards, as it is generally needed to switch into dangerous threats constantly. It is a bit of a liability against Grass-type threats, (AC) such as Virizion and Shiftry, (AC) and is particularly susceptible to Dugtrio. This can be an issue as because one of the threats Lanturn is supposed to wall, Moltres, can use U-turn to get Dugtrio in safely.

Pivot
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch is the main draw of using Lanturn. Lanturn forces many switches and can gain momentum with Volt Switch, and because of its low Speed, it is often able to allow a teammate to come in unscathed even if the opponent does not switch. Its second move, Scald, is highly threatening to Fire-types, (AC) such as Moltres. Very few Pokemon are willing to switch into Scald due to its burn chance, and it also deters Ground-types that may want to block Volt Switch. Protect allows Lanturn to secure Leftovers recovery, which is important as because Lanturn often must take many attacks over the course of a battle and has no other recovery of its own. It also incurs possible burn or poison damage inflicted on Lanturn's foes and scouts for attacks, which is especially useful against enemies holding Choice items. Heal Bell removes any status conditions Lanturn's teammates have (space between "teammates have") incurred, but if the team does not require a cleric or already carries another one, Lanturn can use Toxic to wear down bulky foes that are not immediately threatened by Lanturn's attacks, such as Slowking. Thunder Wave is another option, crippling fast offensive Pokemon and supporting (space between "and supporting") Lanturn's slower teammates, but be advised that Lanturn personally cannot take advantage of paralysis, as it prefers having a slow Volt Switch and relies somewhat on residual burn or poison damage.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Lanturn is a great switch-in to special attackers whose moves it resists, such as Moltres, Magneton, Clawitzer, and offensive Jolteon. It is not incredibly physically bulky, however, so while you shouldn't hesitate to switch it into Fletchinder, whose attacks Lanturn generally resists, be careful when switching Lanturn into powerful wallbreakers such as Emboar. Take advantage of Lanturn's ability to wall and force out many Pokemon by using Volt Switch to set up an advantageous matchup, but don't use Volt Switch blindly against teams with Pokemon (space between "with Pokemon) immune to Electric. You may want to anticipate Ground-types such as Dugtrio and Scald them, for instance. Lastly, if Lanturn is slower than a certain Pokemon that does not threaten it at all (such as Alomomola, which might hit your other team members with a Scald burn or Toxic) you may want to switch in Lanturn so you can then Volt Switch out to another Pokemon safely.

Team Options
========

As Lanturn is mostly a support Pokemon itself, it generally does not require too much support. It should be coupled with Pokemon that appreciate the free switches Lanturn's slow Volt Switch provides, Pokemon that despise status, such as Cresselia, or Pokemon that rely on Rest for recovery, such as Curse Registeel. Lanturn personally hates Toxic Spikes and Spikes-stacking in general, so some entry hazard control is advised, especially paired with grounded Poison-types. Furthermore, it can create VoltTurn chains with teammates that possess U-turn or Volt Switch of their own, including Moltres, Meloetta, or Rotom-C. As Lanturn is easily worn down, it appreciates Wish support on more defensive teams, although you it should be wary of using Alomomola due to redundancy in its role and typing. In addition to Wish, Aromatisse can use Heal Bell, taking pressure off of Lanturn and freeing up a moveslot for it to use Toxic. One particularly good teammate for Lanturn is Golbat, which can handle Grass-types, Defog away entry hazards, and if necessary, continue a U-turn chain. It is also immune to Ground-type attacks, which Lanturn is weak to, but it usually should not switch directly into Rhyperior.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

You seemed to have accidentally combined a few of your words together. q.q
We went over this on IRC. This is a solid check; please implement it. :)

GP 2/2

SlottedPig

sem feio
As Lanturn is easily worn down, it appreciates Wish support on more defensive teams, although you it should be wary of using Alomomola due to redundancy in its role and typing.
I rephrased this section to: "As Lanturn is easily worn down, it appreciates Wish support on more defensive teams, although be wary of using Alomomola due to redundancy in its role and typing."

It removes the second person usage while also not using "it" (since it implies Lanturn is building the team). I assume that's okay Goddess Briyella

Other than that I implemented everything and thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)