LC Larvitar

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Overview
########

Larvitar has a great offensive STAB combination that is not resisted by any Pokemon in LC. It also gets Dragon Dance, a great setup move that boosts its Attack and Speed. Larvitar also has an amazing ability in Guts, meaning it can easily absorb Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, as its typing makes it immune to Thunder Wave.

While Larvitar's Rock / Ground typing is great offensively, it is horrible defensively. Larvitar is 4x weak to Water- and Grass-type moves, as well as Fighting-type moves, which run rampant in LC. Although Larvitar gets Dragon Dance, it only hits 14 Speed with a Jolly nature, which means that it is outsped by common Choice Scarf users, such as Pawniard and Mienfoo. It also faces competition from common setup sweepers such as Tirtouga and Omanyte, as they have a better boosting move in Shell Smash and better bulk. Lastly, Larvitar needs Flame Orb to ensure that Guts activates, but it is frail without Eviolite's bulk.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Superpower
ability: Guts
item: Eviolite / Flame Orb
evs: 244 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 188 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

After one Dragon Dance, Larvitar can outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. Rock Slide is a reliable STAB move, though Stone Edge may be used for more power at the cost of accuracy. Earthquake takes the next slot, as it is a nice STAB move and synergizes well with Rock Slide. Superpower allows Larvitar to nail Ferroseed, Porygon, and Lileep, which all have the bulk to take Larvitar's STAB moves even after a boost.

Set Details
========

244 Attack EVs and 188 Speed EVs are used to reach Larvitar's maximum potential. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense and Special Defense to hit Eviolite numbers. Eviolite is used to let Larvitar take more hits and set up more reliably. Flame Orb, however, can be used to ensure Guts activates and gives Larvitar more initial power. Jolly Larvitar reaches 14 Speed, allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. With an Adamant nature, Larvitar only reaches 13 Speed, meaning that after a boost it Speed ties with 19 Speed Pokemon, such as Ponyta and Abra, and can be outsped by 20 Speed Pokemon, such as Diglett and Elekid.

Usage Tips
========

With Eviolite, Larvitar can tank weak neutral or resisted hits, such as Fletchling's and Taillow's STAB moves. Trubbish is great setup bait as well, as it is threatened by a STAB Earthquake. Larvitar must watch out for super effective hits, however. Larvitar is best used mid- or late-game when its checks and counters have been worn down or KOed.

Team Options
========

Cottonee is the best partner for Larvitar, resisting Fighting-, Ground-, Water-, and Grass-type moves. In return, Larvitar resists Fire- and Poison-type moves for Cottonee. They both share a Steel weakness, however. Memento support gives Larvitar more opportunities to set up and is an absolute must if you opt for Flame Orb, as Larvitar doesn't have the bulk to take hits without Eviolite and can only reliably set up on Taillow and Fletchling. Knock Off users, such as Pawniard and Mienfoo, are imperative, as they knock off Eviolite and Berry Juice, allowing Larvitar to power through walls that can avoid the OHKO or 2HKO. Entry hazard support is useful for Larvitar, breaking Sturdy and weakening opponents in general. Archen in particular is a good partner as it can Defog away hazards as well as set them. Surskit and Spinarak are good Sticky Web users, and Larvitar appreciates the Speed drop to the opponent.

Other Options
########

Rock Polish is great for allowing Larvitar to outspeed common Choice Scarf Pokemon. However, when using Rock Polish, Larvitar has to run Flame Orb to boost its Attack, and it doesn't tend to force as many switches as it would like to get a free boost. Crunch can be used strictly to keep Pumpkaboo in check, as most other Ghost-types are either weak to or hit hard by Larvitar's STAB moves. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types. However, the most common Fairy-types, Spritzee and Cottonee, both have ways to deal with it, as Spritzee can tank a +1 Poison Jab, and Cottonee can Encore Larvitar into Dragon Dance or OHKO it with Giga Drain. Larvitar can use Stealth Rock as a last-ditch attempt to get hazards up, but there are better hazard setters in LC, and Larvitar would rather be attacking or setting up a sweep.

Checks & Counters
########

**Choice Scarf users**: Choice Scarf users, such as Pawniard, Drilbur, and Mienfoo, can outspeed Larvitar even after one Dragon Dance and KO it with their STAB moves.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types, such as Cottonee and Foongus, can OHKO Larvitar, even with Eviolite, while also taking Larvitar's STAB moves with ease.

**Water-types**: Water-types, such as Corphish and Chinchou, can OHKO Eviolite Larvitar with their STAB moves.

**Defensive Fighting-types**: Mienfoo and Timburr can both take a +1 Earthquake and recover the health back with Drain Punch.

**Priority**: Larvitar is weak to many priority moves, including Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Aqua Jet, and Bullet Punch, although it resists two important priority attacks in Fletchling's Acrobatics and Zigzagoon's Extreme Speed.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't see why Larvitar having to hold Eviolite or a Flame orb is a con. All Pokemon generally need Eviolite to be bulky.

And I think Flame Orb might not be suitable for Larvitar. He's already frail, and taking damage every turn won't help. Eviolite makes him a better status absorber, and helps it out when taking on Misdreavus.

Reactions: nv

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I think the reason it's a con is because Larvitar really wants to hold both items but can't :c
That's more reasonable I suppose. But when you think about it, so do Taillow and Timburr, I think what he should say is that if Larvitar runs Flame Orb, it misses Eviolite's bulk.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I honestly don't see why Larvitar having to hold Eviolite or a Flame orb is a con. All Pokemon generally need Eviolite to be bulky.

And I think Flame Orb might not be suitable for Larvitar. He's already frail, and taking damage every turn won't help. Eviolite makes him a better status absorber, and helps it out when taking on Misdreavus.
Should I slash Eviolite before Flame Orb and state that Eviolite is generally better as Flame Orb makes Larvitar too frail? (Also Larvitar is immune to T-Wave, so only Toxic and Will-O-Wisp affect him)

nv

The Lost Age
Sorry for double post, but this is ready for QC checks. I would like some help on C&C and OO. :)

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Defensive fighting types like Timburr and Mienfoo don't take too much from an eq and can both survive one at +1 and hit back with Drain Punch

Scarf Drilbur OHKOes with Earthquake, by the way, you can add that to scarf users

Add priority to C&C, as Larvitar is weak to bullet punch, aqua jet, Mach punch and vacuum wave.

I suppose you could mention curse in OO, but it looks fine as it is tbh.

nv

The Lost Age
Defensive fighting types like Timburr and Mienfoo don't take too much from an eq and can both survive one at +1 and hit back with Drain Punch

Scarf Drilbur OHKOes with Earthquake, by the way, you can add that to scarf users

Add priority to C&C, as Larvitar is weak to bullet punch, aqua jet, Mach punch and vacuum wave.

I suppose you could mention curse in OO, but it looks fine as it is tbh.
Thanks a ton man. You've been helping me out a lot, :) I will get right on fixing this stuff

EDIT: I implemented everything except Curse. I feel like lowering your Speed and boosting your defense isn't the best thing even for OO.

Last edited:
i would replace crunch seeing as missy is now banned. as for alternatives, superpower seems nice to nail ferroseed, porygon, and lileep but idk if there's a better choice. also, i'd mention some pokemon that larvitar can set up on, such as Trubbish and Fletchling/Taillow.

nv

The Lost Age
i would replace crunch seeing as missy is now banned. as for alternatives, superpower seems nice to nail ferroseed, porygon, and lileep but idk if there's a better choice. also, i'd mention some pokemon that larvitar can set up on, such as Trubbish and Fletchling/Taillow.
Thanks for the suggestion, although I checked the calcs and Superpower still can't OHKO any of those pokes even after +1 boost and no Guts boost

+1 244 Atk Larvitar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 16-20 (80 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 244 Atk Larvitar Superpower vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 18-22 (69.2 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 244 Atk Larvitar Superpower vs. 228 HP / 220+ Def Eviolite Lileep: 16-20 (61.5 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I do believe however it is a viable option to at least slash as Missy is banned and Crunch can only be for Pumpkaboo (if it rises in terms of being a defensive Ghost) as Gastly is too frail to survive a Rock Slide, lol.

Also I agree with your set up options as Trubbish is threatened by STAB Earthquake and Fletchling/Taillow's STABs are resisted by Larvitar. Thanks for the suggestions, :)

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
Mention that as a sweeper, it suffers heavy competition from Shell Smashers, such as Tirtouga and Omanyte.

Dragon Dance:
Is there any reason Stone Edge isn't mentioned at all? I feel as if the raw power could really be helped. I would probably slash it behind Rock Slide, and give it a quick mention in the Moves section describing pros and cons over Rock Slide.

Checks and Counters:
Larvitar isn't weak to all common priority attacks; in fact, it resists two really important ones in Fletchling's Acrobatics and Zigzagoon's Extremespeed, so this should probably be reworded.

This is really well done n.n
QC 1/3

nv

The Lost Age
Overview:
Mention that as a sweeper, it suffers heavy competition from Shell Smashers, such as Tirtouga and Omanyte.

Dragon Dance:
Is there any reason Stone Edge isn't mentioned at all? I feel as if the raw power could really be helped. I would probably slash it behind Rock Slide, and give it a quick mention in the Moves section describing pros and cons over Rock Slide.

Checks and Counters:
Larvitar isn't weak to all common priority attacks; in fact, it resists two really important ones in Fletchling's Acrobatics and Zigzagoon's Extremespeed, so this should probably be reworded.

This is really well done n.n
QC 1/3
Thanks man. I added all your suggestions, however I am not sure I worded the whole "priority" thing right, but I did mention that Larvitar resists those two forms of priority. :)

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tested this in missy meta and it's legit man. Emphasise that it needs more help setting up if you don't run eviolite,. I know you mentioned memento but it's almost necessary if not running eviolite as the only things you can set up on are fletch and taillow otherwise (doduo and vull carry knock off). superpower makes it worth using over tirt and omanyte to get past pory/munch/licki/ferro/lileep so I think you should remove crunch now that missy is gone. Still give it a mention in OO or maybe moves though.

Good job though so 2/3

nv

The Lost Age
I tested this in missy meta and it's legit man. Emphasise that it needs more help setting up if you don't run eviolite,. I know you mentioned memento but it's almost necessary if not running eviolite as the only things you can set up on are fletch and taillow otherwise (doduo and vull carry knock off). superpower makes it worth using over tirt and omanyte to get past pory/munch/licki/ferro/lileep so I think you should remove crunch now that missy is gone. Still give it a mention in OO or maybe moves though.

Good job though so 2/3
This guy is so cute and definitely my favorite Pokemon. I emphasized the fact that Memento is essential by giving it its own "section" in Team Options. Let me know what you think. Also I took out Crunch and mentioned it in OO and stated that it only serves to hit Pumpkaboo hard as every other Ghost is either weak to or hit hard by Larvitar's STABs.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would honestly like to see a bulky pivot set used tbh. Similar to Timburr, but instead it stops Fletchling. Rock typing is great for pivoting in and out, and is "immune" to status. maybe a set of Earthquake / Payback / Rock Tomb / [Facade / Pursuit / Iron Head] or something like that. Minimum speed would be necessary, but I will play around with the spread later. I would liketo see more discussion on this, specifically from some good LC people like Rowan or Corporal Levi

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I don't think it would have enough of a niche over bulky Tirtouga or even Rhyhorn to warrant its own set; the Dragon Dance sethas several notable advantages over its counterparts, namely not minding burns and not reducing its defenses when setting up, but a bulky Larvitar set seems almost entirely outclassed.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It would be more of a pivot for offensively minded teams (basically teams that really, really hate burns, so stuff like Pawniard, Mienfoo, etc). With a pretty cool typing, it distinguishes itself from Timburr, who has a hard time finding a slot on some teams due to other Pokemon like Mienfoo filling the "bulky" Fighting-type role. Idk lol i think its pretty cool, and could deserve a mention in OO at least, but if other people don't think so that is fine n_n

Also kinda want to talk about a Resttalk set being mentioned in OO, thoughts? if there is nothing after this then consider this qc 3/3

nv

The Lost Age
It would be more of a pivot for offensively minded teams (basically teams that really, really hate burns, so stuff like Pawniard, Mienfoo, etc). With a pretty cool typing, it distinguishes itself from Timburr, who has a hard time finding a slot on some teams due to other Pokemon like Mienfoo filling the "bulky" Fighting-type role. Idk lol i think its pretty cool, and could deserve a mention in OO at least, but if other people don't think so that is fine n_n

Also kinda want to talk about a Resttalk set being mentioned in OO, thoughts? if there is nothing after this then consider this qc 3/3
If you can elaborate for me the "bulky pivot" set, I can consider it for OO, but RestTalk seems meh especially considering how bad his typing is defensively and how slow Larvitar is without a boost (Jolly "max" invested is 14).

Also I will get to writing this up either later tonight or tomorrow as irl stuff is keeping me busy, but the write up should be done soon (hopefully).

nv

The Lost Age
UPDATE: My comp and internet have been on the fritz, so currently I will be working on this, it might just be at a slower pace than usual. Hope you guys understand, :)

nv

The Lost Age
UPDATE #2: Okay guys I will work on this starting next week. I am finishing up my summer school (long story short I need credits to transfer 'nuff said) and will pick this up next week as I will have the time then. Hope the LC QC team and friends understand :heart:

nv

The Lost Age
Ok guys I am back. And this is ready for the last QC check. Might be a bit rough around the edges; been awhile since I have done any analyses so I might be a bit rusty ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)