Metagame Last Will

First off, an image for your metagame:

Second, Memento seems to have some confusing mechanics. When Memento is used, it causes the Pokemon to immediately faint. However, when Memento is activated, the last attack that should trigger never seems to activate. I'm not sure if that is a bug or intentional or if it's been discussed already and I'm blind, but just something to point out seeing that Explosion -> Linked move should still work and this doesn't.

Third, here have some free memes:

Swoobat @ Salac Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Stored Power

This set is easy. Set up Calm Mind and get a high stat change while also hopefully activating Salac Berry buff your stats more as well as outspeed anything relevant to you. After that, load up a Substitute to prevent revenge killing and spam Stored Power to nuke anything that doesn't resist and Heat Wave as a coverage option. The true evil of this set is even if you manage to kill the set after it sets up, it will launch a final Stored Power just to laugh at the poor fool who tried to remove all of its boosts by knocking it out. 4 Hp EVs makes Shoobat's EVs divisible by 4, which activates Salac Berry faster along with Substitute.

For some reason I like Trick Room and Explosion, so I made a Trick Room + Explosion team:
Golem-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Galvanize
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Frustration
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Serious Nature
- Frustration
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Gigalith @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Explosion

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Trick
- Trick Room

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Knock Off
- Trick Room

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Brave Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Iron Head
- Explosion
Hey looks like a fun team to use, just 1 question: is the Serious nature on Azelf intended to be that? Wouldn't a Jolly nature be better?

I am curious, how would Focus Punch work? Would it tighten then attack all before the faint, or what?

Same with 2 turn moves. Would they go off, or be a waste? Can Freeze Shock actually be useful?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, i forgot to save the replay because i'm an idiot but here is what happened: i used Taunt on Masquerain, with Tyranitar. The next turn my opponent used u-turn, then i used pursuit, which killed his or her Masquerain. Masquerain's last will triggered and it layed the Sticky Web. But i read from this discussion that taunt should work. Was it different because my opponent have used U-turn?

Oh yeah, another thing. I had a poisoned pokemon, that would have died that turn due to the poison. My opponent's Greninja used protect, thus not receiving damage from my attack. My pokemon died, hit and killed the Greninja with the last will, which used his (Hydro Cannon), becoming a water type. Then, both fainted. I thought that this worked because protect ended before the death of both, but i'm not sure.

Mienshao @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Focus Punch

just a cool set. you fake out, then go away if the opponent is weak to a last will of another pokemon of yout team (with regenerator healing), and if it isn't you hit with a 200 bp stab z-move, and if someone knock you out, they get a 150 bp stab punch in the face.

Yes, in this battle I spectated, the same thing happened with Light Screen: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-570152490

(Turn 4)

It seems this is definitely a glitch that needs to be fixed.
Just spotted a bug. Pretty annoying one if you ask me.
Turn 7 and Turn 12: my pokemon faints, Last Will calls Tailwind...on my opponent's side of the field.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-570171832
These are fixed but need an update

i used Taunt on Masquerain, with Tyranitar. The next turn my opponent used u-turn, then i used pursuit, which killed his or her Masquerain. Masquerain's last will triggered and it layed the Sticky Web. But i read from this discussion that taunt should work. Was it different because my opponent have used U-turn?
where did you read this?

Oh yeah, another thing. I had a poisoned pokemon, that would have died that turn due to the poison. My opponent's Greninja used protect, thus not receiving damage from my attack. My pokemon died, hit and killed the Greninja with the last will, which used his (Hydro Cannon), becoming a water type. Then, both fainted. I thought that this worked because protect ended before the death of both, but i'm not sure.
Should've saved a replay. I think protect should protect you against last Wills, so this is a bug. Will look into it
[23:54:52] ~Marty: also re: your last post in that thread, Protect's effect ends at the beginning of end-of-turn stuff
[23:55:00] ~Marty: which is why Future Sight "goes through it"

Last edited:
Well doesn't THIS sound fun?

Anyway, bug report: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-570190711

I noticed that the opponents Blastoise had Dragon Tail in it's 4th slot, and hit my Serperior with it as it died... but my Serp wasn't forced out. Was this supposed to happen?

Anyway - set ideas later
Isn't this supposed to work like red card?
[23:41:48] Spandan: If your Pokémon is holding a red card, and your opponent Kos it, does the opponents Pokémon still forceSwitches out?
[23:43:19] Felagund: idts Spandan
[23:43:21] Sparky (Minun): Spandan no
[23:43:28] Felagund: the description explicitly says "if the holder survives a hit, ..."

Edit: Apparently force-switching the opponent shouldn't work when you faint that turn.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Isn't this supposed to work like red card?
[23:41:48] Spandan: If your Pokémon is holding a red card, and your opponent Kos it, does the opponents Pokémon still forceSwitches out?
[23:43:19] Felagund: idts Spandan
[23:43:21] Sparky (Minun): Spandan no
[23:43:28] Felagund: the description explicitly says "if the holder survives a hit, ..."

Edit: Apparently force-switching the opponent shouldn't work when you faint that turn.
I think a better comparison is using Dragon Tail on a rough skin mon and fainting. Which also doesn't phaze. So either way I kinda think it shouldn't work.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-570222557 (evidence for those who need it, including me but not Fardin apparently)

EDIT: Also ban explosion

Whether they're intentional or not, there are some things that bug me that you should be weary of:

- Baton pass doesn't work
- Rapid spin doesn't work
- When I used aurora veil the enemy got it

Is it possible to change the order the messages come in when Last Wills activate? Because now it can be really confusing.
Two examples:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-570252175 (turn 3)

What it actually says:

Kyurem used Outrage!
(Qwilfish's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
The opposing Qwilfish used Explosion!
Kyurem lost 44.1% of its health!
The opposing Qwilfish lost 34.1% of its health!
(Kyurem's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
Kyurem used Outrage!
Kyurem is hurt by the opposing Qwilfish's Rocky Helmet!
The opposing Qwilfish fainted!
Kyurem fainted!

What I think it should say:

Kyurem used Outrage!
The opposing Qwilfish lost 34.1% of its health!
(Qwilfish's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
The opposing Qwilfish used Explosion!
Kyurem lost 44.1% of its health!
Kyurem is hurt by the opposing Qwilfish's Rocky Helmet!
(Kyurem's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
Kyurem used Outrage!
The opposing Qwilfish fainted!
Kyurem fainted!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-570245955 (turn 13)

What it actually says:

The opposing Golem used Explosion!
(Golem's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
(Chansey's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
Chansey used Healing Wish!
But it failed!
Chansey lost 100% of its health!
A critical hit!
The opposing Golem fainted!
Chansey fainted!

What I think it should say:

(Golem's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
A critical hit!
Chansey lost 100% of its health!
(Chansey's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
Chansey used Healing Wish!
But it failed!
The opposing Golem fainted!
Chansey fainted!

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Whether they're intentional or not, there are some things that bug me that you should be weary of:

- Baton pass doesn't work
- Rapid spin doesn't work
- When I used aurora veil the enemy got it
Baton Pass and Rapid Spin are not supposed to work. Rapid Spin will do damage but faint before clearing hazards. Baton Pass passes all the boosts after fainting (so none).

Lol, all these teams look like 1v1 type mons, just thought I would put that out there.
*cough* s/o 1v1 *cough*

Is it possible to change the order the messages come in when Last Wills activate?
As per my previous post on the subject, the last will activation could be moved to just before the Pokémon faints, rather than just before it takes the damage that makes it faint, although it would change the mechanics slightly (Pain Split Innards Out would stop working for example).

two more bugs to report here:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-570370852

turn 6, a last-will giga drain activates volcarona's flame body, despite not being a contact move:
Code:
Scizor used Bullet Punch!
(Volcarona's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
It's not very effective...
The opposing Volcarona used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... Scizor lost 7.9% of its health!
The opposing Volcarona lost 10% of its health!
[Opposing Volcarona's Flame Body!]
Scizor was burned!
turn 8, greninja gets a last-will water shuriken that does no damage at all:
Code:
Kingdra used Hydro Pump!
(Greninja's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
The opposing Greninja used Water Shuriken!
The opposing Greninja lost 42% of its health!
The opposing Greninja fainted!
☆2MANYNAMES: ??????????????
☆CheekyMoran: ???
☆CheekyMoran: You lost no health?

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
turn 6, a last-will giga drain activates volcarona's flame body, despite not being a contact move:
Code:
Scizor used Bullet Punch!
(Volcarona's Last Will made it get off one last move!)
The opposing Volcarona used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... Scizor lost 7.9% of its health!
The opposing Volcarona lost 10% of its health!
[Opposing Volcarona's Flame Body!]
Scizor was burned!
That's because Scizor used Bullet Punch, which CAN activate Flame Body. As for the Greninja, I'm not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)