U r a q t
name: Life Orb Tank
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Roost
move 4: Surf / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
evs: 192 HP / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Why this deserves to be on-site:
- With the new BW2 threats released, Life Orb Latias now needs to run Maximum speed to help check these threats, such as Keldeo, Thundurus-T, and non-scarfed Genesect. Just using 300 speed will not cut it now.
- In the current Latias analysis Shrang has QC Approved, it has Life Orb slashed with Choice Specs with max SpA investment. I will quote Colonel_M's RMT:
For one thing, using max SpA makes Latias look like a much weaker, yet slightly bulkier Latios. For example, Latias takes 61.25 - 71.52% from LO Starmie's Ice Beam. Latios takes 69.86 - 81.78%. Now that's roughly a 10% difference on the SpD side. Now, instead of maximizing SpA, let's maximize HP. 50.82 - 59.34%. While that is definitely a 2HKO, that is a difference of roughly 10% increase in taking special attacks from min HP Latias. As for Latios, that's roughly a 20% increase.
- Latias's bulk allows it to switch-in easily to many more powerhouse threats that Latios cannot as well, like Band'd Breloom, Specs Keldeo, Life Orb Thundurus-T, etc.
- I believe this plays differently from Choice Specs, and this set should be written up separately with different EV's as well.
- "The EV's allow you to guarantee the OHKO on Thundurus-T after one round of LO recoil - in other words, it'll never get the chance to 2HKO you after Agility. It also gets the OHKO on 0/4 Terrakion with Surf if rain is up, and it takes your HP to a nice LO number so that recoil rounds down".
- Draco Meteor is the obligatory STAB, nailing pretty most of the metagame for good damage.
- Psyshock is the secondary STAB used allowing Latias to OHKO Terrakion, Breloom, and Keldeo and most other fighters, and providing a reliable move if you don't want the -2 from Draco Meteor.
- Recover makes Latias last a while, as HP investment gives it nice bulk and allows Latias to repeatedly switch-in to common attacks coming from strong water-types, Thundurus-T, Breloom, etc.
- The last slot is the coverage move of Choice-- Surf prevents Latias from being completely walled by certain Pokemon like Heatran and Tyranitar (though it doesn't do much damage to both), it also can 2HKO Genesect and Scizor with Rain up. Hidden Power Fire hits steel-types better- like Ferrothorn and Genesect, however if Rain is up it won't be doing much damage. Refresh is also an option so it can get rid of status from Pokemon it commonly switches into like Rotom-W and Politoed.
- Thunder is a fantastic choice to use in rain alongside Surf so you can hit the common Pokemon like bulky-waters and Tornadus-T, while still nailing Keldeo.
Teammates & Counters
- Good teammates are fighting-type Pokemon that can switch into Pokemon that wall this set. Terrakion decimates the pink blobs, can 2HKO Jirachi, is a solid switch into Genesect, etc. Latias can lure out Scizor with HP Fire so it no longer plagues Terrakion.
- This set has the same counters and most other Latias sets -- Tyranitar, Pink Blobs, SpDef Celebi, Jirachi, Metagross, Bronzong, Genesect, opposing scarfed dragons, etc.