Latias (Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Latias's typing makes it a great offensive check to a variety of OU threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Manaphy, and Mega Manectric. This defensive utility, coupled with access to Defog, makes it an excellent choice for both offensive and balanced teams. On top of that, Latias's Mega Evolution is incredibly bulky, allowing it to serve as a reliable choice for support on defensive teams. Latias's main issue is that outside of its Mega Evolution and Healing Wish, it is almost entirely outclassed by Latios, which brings far more power to the table. It also finds itself walled by common Fairy-types, such as Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable, as well as Steel-types such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it also brings a weakness to Pursuit trappers, which access to Reflect Type can help nullify.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Roost
move 4: Reflect Type / Thunder Wave
item: Latiasite
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam and Thunderbolt complement each other's coverage excellently, allowing Mega Latias to hit almost everything in the tier for neutral damage. They also let it threaten common Pokemon on balance, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Skarmory, and non-Calm Mind Slowbro. Roost allows Mega Latias to heal itself and reliably check opposing threats throughout the match. Reflect Type changes Mega Latias's typing to match its foe's, allowing it to fare better against Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Hoopa-U while also allowing it to escape Pursuit from Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thunder Wave cripples most offensive Pokemon while annoying slower ones with the chance to skip their turn. Calm Mind turns Mega Latias from a support Pokemon into a bulky wincon that is able to wall most attackers after a couple boosts.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Mega Latias to Speed tie with opposing Latias, Latios, Mega Metagross, and Gengar while outrunning Keldeo, Terrakion, and slower threats. Maximum HP investment allows Mega Latias to tank hits as well as possible. An alternative spread of 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe lets Latias outspeed positive-natured base 100s, such as Mega Charizard Y and Manaphy, as well as outrun maximum Speed Jolly Garchomp. Latiasite drastically improves Latias's bulk, improving its longevity and allowing it to take hits it usually wouldn't be able to, such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Latias's typing and incredible bulk allow it to switch in on and check many offensive threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Thundurus, Manaphy, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-W. When pivoting in and out, use Roost on predicted switches in order to keep Mega Latias healthy and to avoid having it be KOed by the Pokemon it's hoping to check. Sets running Reflect Type or Thunder Wave are typically used for their support abilities, being able to switch in on and check threats. Calm Mind sets, on the other hand, are wincons, so you'll want to play more carefully with Mega Latias. Try to remove or weaken problematic Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Jirachi, and Ferrothorn, before you start setting up. When playing against Tyranitar, identifying which set it is running can be a huge deal, as certain sets are much more threatening to Mega Latias than others. Support Tyranitar, for example, is often unable to do much to Mega Latias, while Choice Scarf sets cannot beat Mega Latias if it stays on the field as Tyranitar uses Pursuit. Choice Band Tyranitar, however, is always a danger for Mega Latias, so identifying and removing it grants Mega Latias much more freedom.

Team Options
========

Mega Latias forces plenty of switches, so it appreciates entry hazard support to take full advantage of them. Teammates such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are able to set Spikes and Stealth Rock and they have good synergy with Mega Latias as well. Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cobalion, and Infernape are all able to beat Steel- and Dark-types for Mega Latias, while Mega Latias in turn can take on bulky Water-types that these Pokemon despise. Clefable and Mega Latias make for a potent duo, as they share counters that can be crippled by Thunder Wave, such as Jirachi and Mega Metagross. Having these Pokemon paralyzed by one teammate allows the other to boost with Calm Mind much more easily. Mega Latias is forced out by Fairy-types, so Pokemon that can beat them such as Jirachi, Heatran, Excadrill, and Amoonguss can make for excellent partners.

[SET]
name: Offensive Defog
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Healing Wish
move 4: Defog / Roost
item: Life Orb
evs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latias's most powerful attack, able to deal heavy damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. Psyshock gives Latias a consistent form of damage output, allowing it to deal with Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Breloom while giving it a way to hit Fairy-types. Healing Wish allows Latias to remove all damage and status from one of its teammates, but it causes Latias to faint upon using it. Defog removes all entry hazards from the field, whereas Roost provides Latias a way of healing itself, granting it more staying power. Thunderbolt can be run over Psyshock, giving Latias a harder hit against Manaphy, Mega Charizard Y, and Azumarill while maintaining coverage on Keldeo. However, Latias will not be able to beat Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

The HP investment prevents Latias from being 2HKOed by Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, while 252 Speed and a Timid nature allow it to outrun Keldeo and Terrakion and Speed tie with Latios, Gengar, and other Latias. The remaining EVs are put into Special Attack in order to give Latias more offensive power. Life Orb serves to improve Latias's damage output, with a slight cost to its health. If Thundurus isn't an issue, a spread of 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe can be run to maximize Latias's offensive presence.

Usage Tips
========

Latias is able to switch into Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss and check Breloom, Mega Manectric, and Rotom-W. Bear in mind that many of these Pokemon are commonly paired with Pursuit trappers, so be wary of a double switch or Volt Switch as Latias comes in. Defog should be used when you need to remove entry hazards from your own side of the field, but be aware if your opponent has a Bisharp or Thundurus because Defog triggers Defiant, which could prove dangerous. When running Roost, look for opportunities to use it against Pokemon that can't threaten Latias, as this will allow it to stay healthy throughout the match. When running Healing Wish, wait to use it until Latias is no longer needed or until a crippled teammate would be more useful to have healthy again. Using Healing Wish too early leaves the team without an answer to several potent attackers, so it's best to wait until they have been dealt with before getting rid of your answer to them.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Mega Heracross are able to beat Dark-types like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Weavile for Latias. Fire- and Ground-types such as Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus-T, and Garchomp can help deal with Steel-types. Steel-types like Jirachi and Metagross are able to beat Fairy-types. In return, Latias provides a switch-in for bulky Water-types that these Pokemon typically dislike going up against. Fairy-types like Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir are able to beat opposing Dragon-types, which can heavily damage Latias. Setup sweepers appreciate Latias's ability to heal them up to full via Healing Wish, as this allows them to exert pressure early on without worrying about being crippled. Offensive powerhouses such as Dragon Dance Gyarados, Swords Dance Mega Scizor, Tail Glow Manaphy, Swords Dance Talonflame, Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Bisharp, and Serperior can all take advantage of Latias's support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Latias's offensive movepool is fairly varied, carrying moves such as Surf, Earthquake, Grass Knot, and both Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting. However, it faces heavy competition from Latios in an offensive role, as Latios's superior firepower makes it the favored choice. Because of this, however, Latias is able to lull typical switch-ins into a false sense of security and lure them more effectively. Colbur Berry is an option to halve the power of a Dark-type move, granting Latias a way of escaping Pursuit trappers once without taking too much damage. Stored Power can be run over a coverage move on the Mega Calm Mind set, as it can let Mega Latias run over opposing Calm Mind boosters. However, the poor coverage that this replacement causes makes Latias struggle against Pokemon that resist its moves if it hasn't gotten a ton of boosts. Stored Power also struggles to deal damage without boosting, making it really only useful for the late-game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill, Metagross, Klefki, and Scizor resist Latias's STAB moves and can easily set up against it.

**Dark-types**: Bisharp, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Hoopa-U are all immune to Latias's Psychic-type STAB moves and are able to deal heavy damage back to it. The former three also have access to Pursuit, which can KO Latias even if it tries to switch out.

**Fairy-types**: Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Sylveon are immune to Latias's Dragon-type STAB moves and are able to threaten it back with super effective attacks.

**Faster Attackers**: Priority attackers, Choice Scarf users, and naturally faster Pokemon can be huge threats to Latias. Be on the lookout for Mamoswine, Toxicroak, Scizor, Talonflame, Kyurem-B, and Landorus-T, as these Pokemon commonly carry priority moves or Choice Scarf. Naturally faster threats include Scolipede, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and Tornadus-T.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Imo u should Latiasite w/ max SpA/Spe a mention in set details on the first set for teams where no other mega is being used. Having used it in the past, I've found that it helps alleviate huge amounts of pressure from stuff like KOff and helps with longevity due to no LO recoil while also being bulkier with only a slight drop in power from the 184 SpA spread.

p2

Banned deucer.
some of this is a bit vague, you'll want to expand on a lot of stuff in moves and set details but anyway

overview
mention its weakness to fairies here too because stuff like clef / garde switch in really easily

offensive
moves
what do draco and psyshock hit
specify that hw also causes lati to faint

set details
specify it avoids the 2hko from lo thundy
what does the speed investment hit and what threats does it let lati outspeed and/or speed tie with

usage tips
seems fine

team options
add fire types / ground types for opposing steel types, fire types in particular appreciate defog support
also steel types for fairies

defensive
moves
go into a little more detail about what your boltbeam coverage is hitting, think something like ice is a decent all around type while electric hits waters and skarm and that it has great coverage together.
mention that thunder wave can also cripple slower mons like clef

set details
qc team seems kinda split on this, but id mention that speed investment can be dropped in order to increase bulk. feel free to ignore this until theres more input though

usage tips
mention zard y and keldeo in mons it checks

team options
generalise fighting types for darks and steels
mention more steel types than just rachi/tran because its more than just those 2 capable of beating fairies

oo
mention that lure moves from latias have more surprise factor than latios and because of this is can be easier to lure certain pokemon which would scout latios - sciz/tran mainly

c&c
add faster pokemon - mostly scarfers and priority from the likes of scizor, bisharp, mamoswine, and talonflame. also stuff like weavile, mega lop and torn-t can be pretty annoying. add ice types too but just include them under their respective methods in faster mons (kyu-b in scarfers, mamo in prio, and weavile in overall faster mons)

like i mentioned earlier, just try and beef this up a little bit, it seems a little bit bare for a pretty important mon, but you can get around to that after the second check when you start writing this.
qc 1/3

Last edited:
Yeah sorry about the lack of detail, I wanted to get this QC ready since it had been sitting longer than I had wanted.

Gonna stick the bulkier MLati spread in set details for now, I think it's worth a mention at the very least.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Set: Offensive Defog
Moves
I think Thunderbolt deserves a mention (not a slash) for being able to nail water types like Manaphy and still maintaining the ability to beat Keldeo and hitting Zard Y. This is for teams that have Venu covered.

Usage Tips
Yeah I don't know if I'd say it's a great switch-in for Breloom, there are so many things that can go wrong. Spore, Rock Tomb, Focus Punch (puts in range of Mach after Rocks if Loom is LO Adamant) and even 5 hit Bullet Seed. Rotom is also kind of an oddity on that list as it could potentially Volt Switch into Ttar or something. I would probably say it's a situational switch in to Breloom and add the Volt Switch caveat for Rotom. Add Zard Y as something it switches into.

Make a note of the mons which are typically paired with Pursuit trappers (Keldeo, Zard Y), and to be careful switching Latias in for fear of a double switch.

Team Options
Bisharp beats Clefable and sets up on Ferro. It also checks Mega Gardevoir after Stealth Rock damage. Latias checks Keldeo for Bish and allows you to be more reckless with Bisharp when you can Healing Wish it back later.

Set: Defensive
Set Details
Superior physical bulk combined with HP investment on standard sets allows Mega Latias to tank Pursuit from Scarf Tyranitar. Of course the sets with more investment do a better job of this.

Usage Tips
If your opponent has Tyranitar, try to identify which type it is. Support Tyranitar generally can't touch Mega Latias, and Choice Scarf Pursuit is weak (although Crunch does a sizable amount if you are max speed).

Other Options
Mention for Stored Power that it is preferable over Psyshock because it defeats other Calm Mind mons far more easily.

Checks and Counters
Scizor to steel-types (particularly those carrying a bug-type move), Hoopa in dark-types, Sylveon in fairy-types.

QC 2/3

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure how others feel about this, but I think that Reflect Type should be mentioned as another option for Defensive M-Latias, as it gives it the ability to force out and easily deal with pokemon that would normally force it out, such as Tyranitar or Heatran, for example. Here is a replay showing how useful Reflect Type can be (really only watch the first 12 turns or so, ignore all the horrific hax that took place after this lol):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-341854800

I don't know if you guys feel it is good enough to be slashed, but I definitely think it is an option that should definitely be mentioned in OO, at the very least.

Not sure how others feel about this, but I think that Reflect Type should be mentioned as another option for Defensive M-Latias, as it gives it the ability to force out and easily deal with pokemon that would normally force it out, such as Tyranitar or Heatran, for example. Here is a replay showing how useful Reflect Type can be (really only watch the first 12 turns or so, ignore all the horrific hax that took place after this lol):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-341854800

I don't know if you guys feel it is good enough to be slashed, but I definitely think it is an option that should definitely be mentioned in OO, at the very least.
Why would it help against Heatran? It only turns your fire resistance into a neutrality. I guess you can avoid burn and poison but that's such a specific scenario, Refresh is better for that in general. I stopped watching that replay after turn 10 because your opponent clearly has no idea what he's doing. You may as well be playing against a cat pressing random buttons. The cat might have actually switched in Conkeldurr/Kyurem and forced you out.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Mega Defensive sets last slot should be Reflect Type / Thunder Wave / insert whatever filler after that.
Why would it help against Heatran? It only turns your fire resistance into a neutrality. I guess you can avoid burn and poison but that's such a specific scenario, Refresh is better for that in general. I stopped watching that replay after turn 10 because your opponent clearly has no idea what he's doing. You may as well be playing against a cat pressing random buttons. The cat might have actually switched in Conkeldurr/Kyurem and forced you out.
It helps with Bisharp and non Thunder Wave Ferrothorn (there's a bunch other scenarios I can point out to but those are the big ones) which is kind of huge and a big reason why Reflect Type works so well. Also autowinning against a Heatran with only Fire and ground coverage Toxic and no Taunt is important considering Heatran is always a staple secondary Lati switch in on most teams. I don't find Calm Mind too great on Mega Latias since it's always forced out by Clefable with the set anyways and has trouble with the stuff Reflect Type sort of nurtures.

Mega Defensive sets last slot should be Reflect Type / Thunder Wave / insert whatever filler after that.

It helps with Bisharp and non Thunder Wave Ferrothorn (there's a bunch other scenarios I can point out to but those are the big ones) which is kind of huge and a big reason why Reflect Type works so well. Also autowinning against a Heatran with only Fire and ground coverage Toxic and no Taunt is important considering Heatran is always a staple secondary Lati switch in on most teams. I don't find Calm Mind too great on Mega Latias since it's always forced out by Clefable with the set anyways and has trouble with the stuff Reflect Type sort of nurtures.
Yeah I was taking issue with the Heatran thing mainly, I appreciate it helps against Dark types and Pursuit trapping particularly. Is it really auto-win against Heatran though? Assuming specially defensive you're doing less damage to it with Thunderbolt than it's doing to you with neutral Lava Plume. It should win with its leftovers recovery really unless you avoid crits and manage to drain its PP with Recover.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I was taking issue with the Heatran thing mainly, I appreciate it helps against Dark types and Pursuit trapping particularly. Is it really auto-win against Heatran though? Assuming specially defensive you're doing less damage to it with Thunderbolt than it's doing to you with neutral Lava Plume. It should win with its leftovers recovery really unless you avoid crits and manage to drain its PP with Recover.
It generally becomes somewhat of a war of attrition, although it can be in your favor with an unlikely T-Bolt para, as depending on the Tran set they will not be able to status you, and given you have reliable recovery while the Tran player does not, you can generaly win the battle especially if Heatran gets paralyzed. But Heatran isn't necessarily the greatest example, as you have to scout for the set they are running before you attempt to solo them, but the fact that Reflect Type allows you to do this instead of being a sitting duck vs. all Heatran sets shows that it is at least a nice option to use to be able to handle certain M-Lati checks.

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 76-91 (20.8 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

At worst you'll need one Recover to make up for every two Lava Plumes outside of crits. Lava Plume has 24 PP while Recover has 16, so a PP stall is doable. Not to mention, as CrystalRam said, random Thunderbolt paralysis can somewhat speed up the process. The big thing is passively avoiding status, though. Refresh can do the same job actively, but every turn you're using Refresh is a turn that Heatran is getting free Leftovers recovery. Of course, I think we can all agree that's a pretty crappy scenario to find yourself in anyway lol, but there you go.

Also, if you do manage to beat Heatran 1-on-1, you'll have a Levitating Fire/Steel-type!

I understand Reflect Type isn't bad, just hype up the use against Dark types/Ferrothorn equally if not more than Heatran because I feel that's the main benefit? There's Earthquake if you really want a move for Heatran and it gets a slightly better smack on stuff weak to it than BoltBeam does, particularly Tyranitar.

I would like to question whether or not Life Orb deserves mention on the offensive set. Without Healing Wish or Latiasite Latias has little use without being an inferior Latios. I question whether or not this is still worth a slash.

Also, is there a particular reason the Mega set is the latter set in the set order?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In all honesty I don't think Healing Wish should be slashed with anything on the offensive set, because without HW, I see VERY little reason to use standard Latias over Latios as a Defogger. Sure it's a slightly better switch into things like Keldeo, Thundy, and Manec, but Mega Latias is just so great right now if I truly wanted a better check to those after mentioned threats, I'd just use that instead. You can still accomplish the same results with Latios but you just have to play a bit smarter with it instead of just blindly switching into them over and over again, although it's not like Latias can really do that either. I think Roost is better slashed with Defog because I just can't ever imagine anyone wanting to use regular LO Lati without HW. Obviously Defog should be slashed first because Latias can provide a good amount of utility for teams with the combo of HW + hazard removal, but Latios is far superior in practically every way as an offensive Defogger if you choose not to use HW, as the extra power is so much more important in the current meta than Latias' slightly superior bulk.

While you do mention that regular Latias faces competition from Latios in the Overview, I would definitely mention somewhere how Healing Wish is the one true thing that saves it from being completely overshadowed by it, because otherwise LO Latias wouldn't get a set. Or I would at least stress in the Offensive Defog set how Healing Wish is the main selling point of this set, otherwise people might get the idea that regular Latias still has plenty of uses over Latios, when it really does not.

Last edited:
Alrighty, keeping the comments for Calm Mind in the last set but Reflect Type and Thunder Wave are now the slashes, in that order. Also made Gary2346's changes.

EDIT: Mega set is now in front of Defog

Last edited:
Overview
Don't mention Latias as wincon because Calm Mind is no longer a main option. You should also mention that despite the Pursuit weakness, Mega Latias can easily remedy this flaw if it runs Reflect Type.

Defensive
Mention that BoltBeam coverage lets Latias threaten common balance Pokemon, such as Gliscor, Landorus-T, Skarmory, and non-Calm Mind Slowbro.

Offensive Defog

In team options, give some examples of set up sweepers that pair nicely with Latias, such as Mega Gyarados, Swords Dance Bisharp, and Swords Dance Talonflame.

3/3

Sobi

Banned deucer.
amcheck~ { add remove comments }

[OVERVIEW]

Latias's typing makes it a great offensive checks check to a variety of OU threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Manaphy, and Mega Manectric. This defensive utility, (RC) (Now I'm removing this comma because with the comma, it makes this section ("coupled with access to Defog") a non-restrictive clause, meaning that it is unnecessary information - stating that it has access to Defog isn't unnecessary, so I think you should remove the comma here ^_^) coupled with access to Defog, makes it an excellent choice for both offensive and balanced teams. On top of that, Latias's Mega forme is incredibly bulky, allowing for it to serve as a reliable choice for support on defensive teams. Latias's main issue is that outside of its Mega forme and Healing Wish, it is almost entirely outclassed by Latios, which brings far more power to the table. It also finds itself walled by common Fairy-types, such as Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable, as well as Steel-types such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it also gives it a weakness to Pursuit, which leaves it prone to being picked off on (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is "pick on") by trappers, although access to Reflect Type can nullify this.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(space)
Ice Beam and Thunderbolt provide excellent coverage, covering each others resists (This needs rewording, though I'm not sure how to do it because the last thing I want to do is change the meaning....) and allowing Latias to hit almost everything in the tier for neutral damage. It also allows it to threaten common Pokemon on balance, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Skarmory, and Slowbro without Calm Mind. Roost allows Latias to heal itself and reliably check opposing threats for the extent of the match. Reflect Type changes Latias's typing to match its opponent's opponents, allowing it to fair better against Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Hoopa-U (I'm not too sure about mentioning this due to the suspect test), while also allowing it to escape (It won't /escape/ it; it'll resist it) Pursuit from Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thunder Wave cripples most offensive Pokemon while annoying slower ones with the chance to skip their turn. Calm Mind turns Latias from a support Pokemon to a bulky win condition, being able to wall out most attackers after a couple boosts.

Set Details
========
(space)
Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Latias to Speed tie with opposing Latias, Latios, Mega Metagross, and Gengar, Latios, Mega Metagross, Gengar, and opposing Latios, (I reworded this, because original implied that it allows Latias to Speed tier with opposing Latias / Latios / Mega Metagross, making it seem that Latias is those Pokemon) while outrunning Keldeo, Terrakion, and slower threats. Maximum HP investment allows Latias to tank hits as well as possible. An alternative spread of 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe allows Latias to outrun positive-natured (AH) base 100s, such as Mega Charizard Y and Manaphy, as well as outrunning max Speed Jolly Garchomp. Latiasite drastically improves Latias's bulk, improving its survivability and allows it to take hits it usually wouldn't be able to, such as Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit. (I find this part redundant, because you don't need to explain what the Mega Stone does - other analyses on-site don't do this)

Usage Tips
========
(space)
Latias's typing and incredible bulk allow it to switch in and check many offensive threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Thundurus, Manaphy, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-W. When pivoting in and out, use Roost on predicted switches in order to stay healthy and avoid being KOed by the Pokemon you're hoping to check. Sets running Reflect Type or Thunder Wave are typically used for their support abilities, being as they are able to switch in and check threats (I might've misinterpreted this, but if this was supposed to be a list ([1] used for their support abilities, [2] being able to switch in, [3] check threats), a comma must proceed 'and'). Calm Mind sets, on the other hand, are a win condition, so you'll want to play more carefully with Latias. Try to remove or weaken problematic Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Jirachi, and Ferrothorn before you start setting up. When playing against Tyranitar, identifying which set it is running can be a huge deal, as certain sets are much more threatening than others. Support Tyranitar, for example, is often unable to do much of anything to Latias, while Choice Scarf sets cannot beat Latias if it stays in as Tyranitar uses Pursuit. Choice Banded Tyranitar, however, is always a danger for Latias, so identifying and removing it allows Latias much more freedom.

Team Options
========
(space)
Latias forces plenty of switches, so it appreciates hazard support to take full advantage of them. Teammates such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are both able to set Spikes and Stealth Rock, and they have good synergy together as well. Fighting-types, such as Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cobalion, and Infernape are all able to beat Steel- (AH) and Dark-types for Latias, while Latias in turn can take on bulky Water-types that these Pokemon despise. Clefable and Latias make for a potent duo, as they share similar counters that can be crippled by Thunder Wave, such as Jirachi and Mega Metagross. Having these Pokemon paralyzed by one teammate allows the other to boost with Calm Mind much more easily. Latias is forced out by Fairy-types (AH), so Pokemon that can beat them like such as (There are no other Pokemon like these Pokemon, ie: you cannot compare them to others) Jirachi, Heatran, Excadrill, and Amoonguss can make for excellent partners.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(space)
Draco Meteor is Latias's most powerful attack, able to deal heavy damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. Psyshock gives Latias a consistent form of damage, allowing it to deal with Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Breloom while giving it a way to hit Fairy-types. Healing Wish allows Latias to remove all damage and status from one of its teammates, but causes Latias to faint upon using it. Roost provides Latias a way of healing itself, granting it more staying (what is this suposed to mean?) power. Defog removes all entry hazards from the field. Thunderbolt can be run over Psyshock, giving Latias a harder hit on Manaphy, Mega Charizard Y, and Azumarill while maintaining coverage on Keldeo. However, Latias will not be able to beat Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Set Details
========
(space)
The HP investment prevents Latias from being 2HKOed by Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, while 252 Speed and a Timid nature allow it to outrun Keldeo and Terrakion and Speed tie with Latios, Gengar, and other Latias. The remaining investment is EVs are put into Special Attack in order to give Latias more offensive power. A Life Orb serves to improve Latias's attack power, with a slight cost to its health. If Thundurus isn't an issue, a spread of 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe can be run to maximize Latias's offensive presence.

Usage Tips
========
(space)
Latias is able to switch into Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, Thundurus, Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, while also checking Breloom, Mega Manectric, and Rotom-W. Bear in mind that many of these Pokemon are commonly paired with Pursuit trappers, so be wary of a double-switch (AH) (or perhaps a Volt Switch) as Latias comes in. Defog should be used when you need to remove hazards from your own side of the field, but be aware if your opponent has a Bisharp or Thundurus, as Defog can trigger their ability, Defiant, which could prove dangerous. When running Roost, look for opportunities to use it against Pokemon that can't threaten Latias, as this will allow it to stay healthy throughout the match. When running Healing Wish, wait until Latias is no longer needed, or where a crippled teammate would be more useful to have healthy again. Using Healing Wish too early leaves the team without an answer to several potent attackers, so it's best to wait until they have been dealt with before getting rid of your answer to them.

Team Options
========
(space)
Fighting-types, such as Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Mega Heracross are able to beat Dark-types like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Weavile for Latias. Fire- (AH) and Ground-types, such as Heatran, Mega Charizard-Y (RH), Landorus-T, or and Garchomp can help deal with Steel types. Steel-types like Jirachi and Metagross are able to beat Fairy-types. In return, Latias provides a switch-in (AH) for bulky Water-types that these Pokemon typically dislike going up against. Fairy-types like Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir are able to beat opposing Dragon-types, who that can heavily damage Latias. Set(remove space)up sweepers appreciate Latias's ability to heal them up to full via Healing Wish, as this allows them to pressure early on without worrying about being crippled. Offensive powerhouses such as Dragon Dance Gyarados, Swords Dance Mega Scizor, Tail Glow Manaphy, Swords Dance Talonflame, Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Bisharp, and Serperior can all take advantage of Latias's support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
(space)
Latias's offensive movepool is fairly varied, carrying moves such as Surf, Earthquake, Grass Knot, and both Hidden Power Fire and Fighting. However, it faces heavy competition from Latios in an offensive role, as Latios's superior firepower makes it the favored choice. Because of this, however, Latias is able to lull typical switch-ins (AH) into a sense of security and lure them more effectively. Colbur Berry is an option to halve the power of a Dark-type move, allowing Latias a way of escaping Pursuit trappers once without taking too much damage. Stored Power can be run over a coverage move on the Mega Calm Mind set, as it outdamages Psyshock after two boosts and can run over opposing Calm Mind boosters. However, the poor coverage makes Latias struggle against resists (not too sure about this term) if it hasn't gotten a ton of boosts. It also struggles to deal damage without boosting, making it really only useful for late-game. (AH)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill, Metagross, Klefki, and Scizor resist both of Latias's STAB types moves and can easily set up against it.
(space)
**Dark-types**: Bisharp, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Hoopa-U are all immune to Latias's Psychic STAB moves and are able to deal heavy damage. The former three also have access to Pursuit, which can KO Latias even if it tries to switch out.
(space)
**Fairy-types**: Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Sylveon are immune to Latias's Dragon STAB moves, and in turn are able to threaten back with super effective attacks.
(space)
**Faster attackers**: Priority attacks, Scarfers, and naturally faster Pokemon (in this list, you mention 2 types of Pokemon {scarfers + fast Pokemon}, and then an attack, which seems kinda strange. Do you mean 'priority attackers'?) can be a huge threat to Latias. Be on the lookout for Mamoswine, Toxicroak, Scizor, Talonflame, Kyurem-B, and Landorus-T, as these usually carry priority or are scarfed. Other naturally faster threats include Scolipede, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and Tornadus-T.
seems like a good analysis, just some mistakes with hyphens and such. i just have two concerns. firstly, set 1 speaks about mega latias but in the paragraphs after the set, you seem to constantly mention latias and not mega latias, so if you were referring to the mega forme, please change every mention of latias -> mega latias. secondly, in the checks & counters section, you may have seen my additions of "moves" after "STAB". If i'm correct, you were referring to latias's moves, right? if so, make sure 'move' comes after 'STAB'.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
sobi { add remove comments }
TDP: add / fix remove (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Latias's typing makes it a great offensive checks check to a variety of OU threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Manaphy, and Mega Manectric. This defensive utility, (RC) (Now I'm removing this comma because with the comma, it makes this section ("coupled with access to Defog") a non-restrictive clause, meaning that it is unnecessary information - stating that it has access to Defog isn't unnecessary, so I think you should remove the comma here ^_^) (mmm not so much unnecessary as much as nonessential, and i'd argue that it isn't required for the sentence to make sense. commas and no commas both work here as far as i can tell, but if you remove the first one be sure to remove the one after "Defog" too) coupled with access to Defog, makes it an excellent choice for both offensive and balanced teams. On top of that, Latias's Mega forme is incredibly bulky, allowing for it to serve as a reliable choice for support on defensive teams. Latias's main issue is that outside of its Mega forme and Healing Wish, it is almost entirely outclassed by Latios, which brings far more power to the table. It also finds itself walled by common Fairy-types, such as Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable, as well as Steel-types such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it also gives it a weakness to Pursuit, which leaves it prone to being picked off on (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is "pick on") (no, "picked off" as in "finished off". "pick on" exists too, but "pick off" is appropriate here) by trappers, although access to Reflect Type can help nullify this.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(space)
Ice Beam and Thunderbolt provide excellent coverage, covering each others resists (This needs rewording, though I'm not sure how to do it because the last thing I want to do is change the meaning....) ("Ice Beam and Thunderbolt complement each other's coverage excellently" should work, there's some redundancy going on in here anyways) and allowing Mega Latias to hit almost everything in the tier for neutral damage. It also allows it to lets it (repetition) threaten common Pokemon on balance, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Skarmory, and Slowbro without Calm Mind. Roost allows Latias to heal itself and reliably check opposing threats for the extent of the match. Reflect Type changes Latias's typing to match its opponent's opponents foe's, allowing it to fair fare better against Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Hoopa-U (I'm not too sure about mentioning this due to the suspect test), (keep it for now and remove it when / if it gets banned. remove the comma before "while" though) while also allowing it to escape (It won't /escape/ it; it'll resist it) (and proceed to switch out without being KOed, the wording seems fine as is) Pursuit from Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thunder Wave cripples most offensive Pokemon while annoying slower ones with the chance to skip their turn. Calm Mind turns Mega Latias from a support Pokemon to a bulky win condition wincon, (recently standardised like this because a Pokemon literally is not a "condition") being able to wall out (either wall or stall out, i can see both work, but "wall out" doesn't exist) most attackers after a couple boosts.

Set Details
========
(space)
Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Latias to Speed tie with opposing Latias, Latios, Mega Metagross, and Gengar, Latios, Mega Metagross, Gengar, and opposing Latios, (I reworded this, because original implied that it allows Latias to Speed tier with opposing Latias / Latios / Mega Metagross, making it seem that Latias is those Pokemon) (original seems fine, the only confusion I could see arise is whether "opposing" goes with Latias or with all of those Pokemon, which imo is sorta looking for a problem where there doesn't need to be one and actually doesn't even matter in practice anyways) while outrunning Keldeo, Terrakion, and slower threats. Maximum HP investment allows Mega Latias to tank hits as well as possible. An alternative spread of 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe allows lets Latias to outrun outspeed (repetition) positive-natured (AH) base 100s, such as Mega Charizard Y and Manaphy, as well as outrunning maximum Speed Jolly Garchomp. Latiasite drastically improves Latias's bulk, improving its survivability longevity (survivability = the ability to be survived; e.g., its attacks have survivability, that word is expressly not what you're looking for) and allows allowing it to take hits it usually wouldn't be able to, such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit. (I find this part redundant, because you don't need to explain what the Mega Stone does - other analyses on-site don't do this) (mm I could see a plain "Latiasite allows Latias to Mega Evolve" being extraneous, but listing some concrete advantages it provides, like here, definitely doesn't seem redundant)

Usage Tips
========
(space)
Mega Latias's typing and incredible bulk allow it to switch in on and check many offensive threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Thundurus, Manaphy, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-W. When pivoting in and out, use Roost on predicted switches in order to stay keep Mega Latias healthy and avoid it being KOed by the Pokemon you're it's hoping to check. Sets running Reflect Type or Thunder Wave are typically used for their support abilities, being as they are ("being" is fine) able to switch in and check threats (I might've misinterpreted this, but if this was supposed to be a list ([1] used for their support abilities, [2] being able to switch in, [3] check threats), a comma must proceed 'and'). ("used for check threats" doesn't work, so if you're going with this, change check -> checking as well for proper parallelism, though it'll require some more cleanup as well then) Calm Mind sets, on the other hand, are a win condition wincon, so you'll want to play more carefully with Mega Latias. Try to remove or weaken problematic Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Jirachi, and Ferrothorn before you start setting up. When playing against Tyranitar, identifying which set it is running (kiinda optional but yeah prettier. "identifying its set" also works) can be a huge deal, as certain sets are much more threatening than others. Support Tyranitar, for example, is often unable to do much of anything to Mega Latias, while Choice Scarf sets cannot beat Mega Latias if it stays in as Tyranitar uses Pursuit. Choice Banded Tyranitar, however, is always a danger for Mega Latias, so identifying and removing it allows grants Mega Latias much more freedom.

Team Options
========
(space)
Mega Latias forces plenty of switches, so it appreciates hazard support to take full advantage of them. Teammates such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are both able to set Spikes and Stealth Rock, and they have good synergy together (Skarmory with Ferrothorn? I'm a competitive noob, so ignore me if i'm wrong, but this sounds weird to me... if you meant "with Mega Latias", change it to that) as well. Fighting-types (RC) such as Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cobalion, and Infernape are all able to beat Steel- (AH) and Dark-types for Mega Latias, while Mega Latias in turn can take on bulky Water-types that these Pokemon despise. Clefable and Mega Latias make for a potent duo, as they share similar counters that can be crippled by Thunder Wave, such as Jirachi and Mega Metagross. Having these Pokemon paralyzed by one teammate allows the other to boost with Calm Mind much more easily. Mega Latias is forced out by Fairy-types (AH), so Pokemon that can beat them like such as (There are no other Pokemon like these Pokemon, ie: you cannot compare them to others) (ya ok, they don't seem to have anything relevant in common aside from "being able to beat Fairy-types") Jirachi, Heatran, Excadrill, and Amoonguss can make for excellent partners.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(space)
Draco Meteor is Latias's most powerful attack, (mm keep this) able to deal heavy damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. Psyshock gives Latias a consistent form of damage output, allowing it to deal with Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Breloom while giving it a way to hit Fairy-types. Healing Wish allows Latias to remove all damage and status from one of its teammates, but it causes Latias to faint upon using it. Roost provides Latias a way of healing itself, granting it more staying (what is this suposed to mean?) (staying power = endurance / resilience, works fine here) power. Defog removes all entry hazards from the field. Thunderbolt can be run over Psyshock, giving Latias a harder hit on Manaphy, Mega Charizard Y, and Azumarill while maintaining coverage on Keldeo. However, Latias will not be able to beat Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Set Details
========
(space)
The HP investment prevents Latias from being 2HKOed by Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, while 252 Speed and a Timid nature allow it to outrun Keldeo and Terrakion and Speed tie with Latios, Gengar, and other Latias. The remaining investment is EVs are put into Special Attack in order to give Latias more offensive power. A Life Orb serves to improve Latias's attack power damage output, (repetition) with a slight cost to its health. If Thundurus isn't an issue, a spread of 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe can be run to maximize Latias's offensive presence.

Usage Tips
========
(space)
Latias is able to switch into Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, while also checking and check Breloom, Mega Manectric, and Rotom-W. Bear in mind that many of these Pokemon are commonly paired with Pursuit trappers, so be wary of a double-switch (AH) (no hyphen) (or perhaps a Volt Switch) as Latias comes in. Defog should be used when you need to remove entry hazards from your own side of the field, but be aware if your opponent has a Bisharp or Thundurus, as Defog can trigger their ability, Defiant, which could prove dangerous. When running Roost, look for opportunities to use it against Pokemon that can't threaten Latias, as this will allow it to stay healthy throughout the match. When running Healing Wish, wait until Latias is no longer needed (RC) or where a crippled teammate would be more useful to have healthy again. Using Healing Wish too early leaves the team without an answer to several potent attackers, so it's best to wait until they have been dealt with before getting rid of your answer to them.

Team Options
========
(space)
Fighting-types, such as Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Mega Heracross are able to beat Dark-types like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Weavile for Latias. Fire- (AH) and Ground-types, such as Heatran, Mega Charizard-Y (RH), Landorus-T, or and Garchomp can help deal with Steel types. Steel-types like Jirachi and Metagross are able to beat Fairy-types. In return, Latias provides a switch-in (AH) for bulky Water-types that these Pokemon typically dislike going up against. Fairy-types like Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir are able to beat opposing Dragon-types, who that which can heavily damage Latias. Set(remove space)up sweepers appreciate Latias's ability to heal them up to full via Healing Wish, as this allows them to exert pressure early on without worrying about being crippled. Offensive powerhouses such as Dragon Dance Gyarados, Swords Dance Mega Scizor, Tail Glow Manaphy, Swords Dance Talonflame, Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Bisharp, and Serperior can all take advantage of Latias's support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
(space)
Latias's offensive movepool is fairly varied, carrying moves such as Surf, Earthquake, Grass Knot, and both Hidden Power Fire and Fighting. However, it faces heavy competition from Latios in an offensive role, as Latios's superior firepower makes it the favored choice. Because of this, however, Latias is able to lull typical switch-ins (AH) into a sense of security and lure them more effectively. Colbur Berry is an option to halve the power of a Dark-type move, allowing granting Latias a way of escaping Pursuit trappers once without taking too much damage. Stored Power can be run over a coverage move on the Mega Calm Mind set, as it outdamages Psyshock after two boosts and can let Mega Latias run over opposing Calm Mind boosters. However, the poor coverage makes Latias struggle against resists (not too sure about this term) (change it to "Pokemon that resist it) if it hasn't gotten a ton of boosts. It also struggles to deal damage without boosting, making it really only useful for the late-game. (AH)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill, Metagross, Klefki, and Scizor resist both of Latias's STAB types moves (either works) and can easily set up against it.
(space)
**Dark-types**: Bisharp, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Hoopa-U are all immune to Latias's Psychic STAB moves and are able to deal heavy damage. The former three also have access to Pursuit, which can KO Latias even if it tries to switch out.
(space)
**Fairy-types**: Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Sylveon are immune to Latias's Dragon STAB moves (RC) (don't bifurcate sentences with commas, unless you're gonna add a new subject as well; "I packed my bag, and went to school" doesn't work, whereas "I packed my bag and went to school" and "I packed my books, and I went to school" are correct) and in turn are able to threaten back with super effective attacks.
(space)
**Faster Attackers**: Priority attackers, Choice Scarf users, and naturally faster Pokemon (in this list, you mention 2 types of Pokemon {scarfers + fast Pokemon}, and then an attack, which seems kinda strange. Do you mean 'priority attackers'?) (yes) can be a huge threat to Latias. Be on the lookout for Mamoswine, Toxicroak, Scizor, Talonflame, Kyurem-B, and Landorus-T, as these usually carry priority moves or are scarfed Choice Scarf. Other naturally faster threats include Scolipede, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and Tornadus-T.

Last edited:
amcheck:
add remove (comments)
AC = Add Comma
RC = Remove Comma
[OVERVIEW]

Latias's typing makes it a great offensive check to a variety of OU threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Manaphy, and Mega Manectric. This defensive utility, coupled with access to Defog, makes it an excellent choice for both offensive and balanced teams. On top of that, Latias's Mega forme Evolution (Forme is to be avoided when referring to Mega Evolution.) is incredibly bulky, allowing it to serve as a reliable choice for support on defensive teams. Latias's main issue is that outside of its Mega forme Evolution and Healing Wish, it is almost entirely outclassed by Latios, which brings far more power to the table. It also finds itself walled by common Fairy-types, such as Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable, as well as Steel-types such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it also gives it a weakness to Pursuit, which leaves it prone to being picked off by trappers, although access to Reflect Type can help nullify this. (This felt very awkward with multiple clauses, the abrupt change of the subject referred to by "it", and a repeated "although". Maybe "Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it brings a weakness to Pursuit trappers, which access to Reflect Type can help nullify." could be an alternative wording here?)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam and Thunderbolt complement each other's coverage excellently, covering each other's (Add an apostrophe here) resists and allowing Mega Latias to hit almost everything in the tier for neutral damage. It They also lets it threaten common Pokemon on balance, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Skarmory, and non-Calm Mind Slowbro without Calm Mind (Fix for ambiguous meaning here. The Slowbro is the one without Calm Mind, I assume. Becomes more of an issue when Calm Mind is later mentioned.). Roost allows Latias to heal itself and reliably check opposing threats for the extent of throughout (Extent is a spacial word, not a temporal word, and feels awkward.) the match. Reflect Type changes Latias's typing to match its foe's, allowing it to fare better against Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Hoopa-U while also allowing it to escape Pursuit from Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thunder Wave cripples most offensive Pokemon while annoying slower ones with the chance to skip their turn. Calm Mind turns Mega Latias from a support Pokemon into a bulky wincon, being able to wall most attackers after a couple boosts.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow Latias to Speed tie with opposing Latias, Latios, Mega Metagross, and Gengar, while outrunning Keldeo, Terrakion, and slower threats. Maximum HP investment allows Mega Latias to tank hits as well as possible. An alternative spread of 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe lets Latias outspeed positive-natured base 100s, such as Mega Charizard Y and Manaphy, as well as outrunning maximum Speed Jolly Garchomp. Latiasite drastically improves Latias's bulk, improving its survivability and allows allowing it to take hits it usually wouldn't be able to, such as Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Latias's typing and incredible bulk allow it to switch in on and check many offensive threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Thundurus, Manaphy, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-W. When pivoting in and out, use Roost on predicted switches in order to keep Mega Latias healthy and to avoid it being KOed by the Pokemon it's hoping to check. Sets running Reflect Type or Thunder Wave are typically used for their support abilities, being able to switch in on and check threats. Calm Mind sets, on the other hand, are a wincon, so you'll want to play more carefully with Mega Latias. Try to remove or weaken problematic Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Jirachi, and Ferrothorn, (AC) before you start setting up. When playing against Tyranitar, identifying which set it is running can be a huge deal, as certain sets are much more threatening than others. Support Tyranitar, for example, is often unable to do much to Mega Latias, while Choice Scarf sets cannot beat Mega Latias if it stays in as Tyranitar uses Pursuit. Choice Band Tyranitar, however, is always a danger for Mega Latias, so identifying and removing it grants Mega Latias much more freedom.

Team Options
========

Mega (This set is for Mega Latias.) Latias forces plenty of switches, so it appreciates hazard support to take full advantage of them. Teammates such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are both able to set Spikes and Stealth Rock, and they have good synergy with Mega Latias as well. Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cobalion, and Infernape are all able to beat Steel- and Dark-types for Mega Latias, while Mega Latias in turn can take on bulky Water-types that these Pokemon despise. Clefable and Mega Latias make for a potent duo, as they share similar counters that can be crippled by Thunder Wave, such as Jirachi and Mega Metagross. Having these Pokemon paralyzed by one teammate allows the other to boost with Calm Mind much more easily. Mega Latias is forced out by Fairy types, so Pokemon that can beat them such as Jirachi, Heatran, Excadrill, and Amoonguss can make for excellent partners.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latias's most powerful attack, able to deal heavy damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. Psyshock gives Latias a consistent form of damage output, allowing it to deal with Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Breloom while giving it a way to hit Fairy-types. Healing Wish allows Latias to remove all damage and status from one of its teammates, but it causes Latias to faint upon using it. Defog removes all entry hazards from the field. Roost provides Latias a way of healing itself, granting it more staying power. Thunderbolt can be run over Psyshock, giving Latias a harder hit on Manaphy, Mega Charizard Y, and Azumarill while maintaining coverage on Keldeo. However, Latias will not be able to beat Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

The HP investment prevents Latias from being 2HKOed by Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, while 252 Speed and a Timid nature allow it to outrun outspeed Keldeo and Terrakion and Speed tie with Latios, Gengar, and other Latias. The remaining EVs are put into Special Attack in order to give Latias more offensive power. A Life Orb serves to improve Latias's damage output, with a slight cost to its health. If Thundurus isn't an issue, a spread of 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe can be run to maximize Latias's offensive presence.

Usage Tips
========

Latias is able to switch into Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, (RC) and check Breloom, Mega Manectric, and Rotom-W. Bear in mind that many of these Pokemon are commonly paired with Pursuit trappers, so be wary of a double switch (or perhaps a Volt Switch) as Latias comes in. Defog should be used when you need to remove entry hazards from your own side of the field, but be aware if your opponent has a Bisharp or Thundurus, as Defog can trigger their ability, Defiant, which could prove dangerous. When running Roost, look for opportunities to use it against Pokemon that can't threaten Latias, as this will allow it to stay healthy throughout the match. When running Healing Wish, wait until Latias is no longer needed or where until a crippled teammate would be more useful to have healthy again. Using Healing Wish too early leaves the team without an answer to several potent attackers, so it's best to wait until they have been dealt with before getting rid of your answer to them.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types, (RC) such as Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Mega Heracross are able to beat Dark-types like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Weavile for Latias. Fire- and Ground-types, (RC) such as Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus-T, and Garchomp can help deal with Steel types. Steel-types like Jirachi and Metagross are able to beat Fairy-types. In return, Latias provides a switch-in for bulky Water-types that these Pokemon typically dislike going up against. Fairy-types like Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir are able to beat opposing Dragon-types, which can heavily damage Latias. Setup sweepers appreciate Latias's ability to heal them up to full via Healing Wish, as this allows them to exert pressure early on without worrying about being crippled. Offensive powerhouses such as Dragon Dance Gyarados, Swords Dance Mega Scizor, Tail Glow Manaphy, Swords Dance Talonflame, Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Bisharp, and Serperior can all take advantage of Latias's support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Latias's offensive movepool is fairly varied, carrying moves such as Surf, Earthquake, Grass Knot, and both Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting. However, it faces heavy competition from Latios in an offensive role, as Latios's superior firepower makes it the favored choice. Because of this, however, Latias is able to lull typical switch-ins into a false sense of security (This is the proper idiom) and lure them more effectively. Colbur Berry is an option to halve the power of a Dark-type move, granting Latias a way of escaping Pursuit trappers once without taking too much damage. Stored Power can be run over a coverage move on the Mega Calm Mind set, as it outdamages Psyshock after two boosts and can let Mega Latias run over opposing Calm Mind boosters (Comment on content: I misread this a few times, as I couldn't understand why Psyshock didn't win Calm Mind wars as well. To further my confusion, Psyshock was not mentioned at all in the Defensive set, where Calm Mind was mentioned. I would consider not mentioning Psyshock here as a result. ). However, the poor coverage makes Latias struggle against Pokemon that resist it if it hasn't gotten a ton of boosts. It Stored Power also struggles to deal damage without boosting, making it really only useful for the late-game. (My personal suggestion would be to clarify the antecedent for "It" to be "Stored Power". Intuitively I know you don't mean Latias, but I think this might be confusing after referring to Latios as a generally more powerful alternative.)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill, Metagross, Klefki, and Scizor resist both of Latias's STAB moves and can easily set up against it.

**Fairy-types**: Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Sylveon are immune to Latias's Dragon STAB and in turn are able to threaten back with super effective attacks.

**Faster Attackers**: Priority attackers, Choice Scarf users, and naturally faster Pokemon can be a huge threat threats to Latias. Be on the lookout for Mamoswine, Toxicroak, Scizor, Talonflame, Kyurem-B, and Landorus-T, as these Pokemon commonly carry priority moves or a Choice Scarf. Other Naturally faster threats include Scolipede, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and Tornadus-T.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stamping the above amcheck with a few changes for 2/2 :)

EienSeiryuu add EienSeiryuu remove (EienSeiryuu comments)
AC = Add Comma
RC = Remove Comma

frenzyplant add frenzyplant remove (frenzyplant comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Latias's typing makes it a great offensive check to a variety of OU threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Manaphy, and Mega Manectric. This defensive utility, coupled with access to Defog, makes it an excellent choice for both offensive and balanced teams. On top of that, Latias's Mega forme Evolution (Forme is to be avoided when referring to Mega Evolution.) (good) is incredibly bulky, allowing it to serve as a reliable choice for support on defensive teams. Latias's main issue is that outside of its Mega forme Evolution and Healing Wish, it is almost entirely outclassed by Latios, which brings far more power to the table. It also finds itself walled by common Fairy-types, such as Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and Clefable, as well as Steel-types such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it also gives it a weakness to Pursuit, which leaves it prone to being picked off by trappers, although access to Reflect Type can help nullify this. (This felt very awkward with multiple clauses, the abrupt change of the subject referred to by "it", and a repeated "although". Maybe "Although Latias's Psychic typing brings a useful set of resistances, it also brings a weakness to Pursuit trappers, which access to Reflect Type can help nullify." could be an alternative wording here?) (good)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam and Thunderbolt complement each other's coverage excellently, covering each others resists (resists can't be used in this way; because a rephrasing with "Pokemon that resist ..." would be awkward and this is essentially implied by the second clause, I think it should be removed) and allowing Mega Latias to hit almost everything in the tier for neutral damage. It They also lets it threaten common Pokemon on balance, such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Skarmory, and non-Calm Mind Slowbro without Calm Mind (Fix for ambiguous meaning here. The Slowbro is the one without Calm Mind, I assume. Becomes more of an issue when Calm Mind is later mentioned.). (good) Roost allows Mega Latias to heal itself and reliably check opposing threats for the extent of throughout (Extent is a spacial word, not a temporal word, and feels awkward.) the match. Reflect Type changes Mega Latias's typing to match its foe's, allowing it to fare better against Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Hoopa-U while also allowing it to escape Pursuit from Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thunder Wave cripples most offensive Pokemon while annoying slower ones with the chance to skip their turn. Calm Mind turns Mega Latias from a support Pokemon into (don't miss this change - it's somewhat hard to pick out because it's not bolded) a bulky wincon, being that is (Calm Mind doesn't wall anything) able to wall most attackers after a couple boosts.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and a Timid nature allow (Mega?) Latias to Speed (good) tie with opposing Latias, Latios, Mega Metagross, and Gengar, (remove comma) while outrunning Keldeo, Terrakion, and slower threats. Maximum HP investment allows Mega Latias to tank hits as well as possible. An alternative spread of 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe lets Latias outspeed positive-natured base 100s, such as Mega Charizard Y and Manaphy, as well as outrunning maximum Speed Jolly Garchomp. Latiasite drastically improves Latias's bulk, improving its survivability longevity ("Latias's survivability" is the ability to survive Latias, not the ability that Latias has to survive) and allows allowing it to take hits it usually wouldn't be able to, such as Choice Scarf Tyranitar's Pursuit.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Latias's typing and incredible bulk allow it to switch in on and check many offensive threats, including Keldeo, Breloom, Thundurus, Manaphy, Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-W. When pivoting in and out, use Roost on predicted switches in order to keep Mega Latias healthy and to avoid having it be being (being just sounds awkward to me) KOed by the Pokemon it's hoping to check. Sets running Reflect Type or Thunder Wave are typically used for their support abilities, being able to switch in on and check threats. Calm Mind sets, on the other hand, are a wincons, so you'll want to play more carefully with Mega Latias. Try to remove or weaken problematic Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Bisharp, Jirachi, and Ferrothorn, (AC) before you start setting up. When playing against Tyranitar, identifying which set it is running can be a huge deal, as certain sets are much more threatening to Mega Latias than others. Support Tyranitar, for example, is often unable to do much to Mega Latias, while Choice Scarf sets cannot beat Mega Latias if it stays in on the field as Tyranitar uses Pursuit. Choice Band Tyranitar, however, is always a danger for Mega Latias, so identifying and removing it grants Mega Latias much more freedom.

Team Options
========

Mega (This set is for Mega Latias.) Latias forces plenty of switches, so it appreciates entry hazard support to take full advantage of them. Teammates such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are both able to set Spikes and Stealth Rock, (remove comma) and they have good synergy with Mega Latias as well. Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Cobalion, and Infernape are all able to beat Steel- and Dark-types for Mega Latias, while Mega Latias in turn can take on bulky Water-types that these Pokemon despise. Clefable and Mega Latias make for a potent duo, as they share similar (repetitive) counters that can be crippled by Thunder Wave, such as Jirachi and Mega Metagross. Having these Pokemon paralyzed by one teammate allows the other to boost with Calm Mind much more easily. Mega Latias is forced out by Fairy-types, (hyphenate) so Pokemon that can beat them such as Jirachi, Heatran, Excadrill, and Amoonguss can make for excellent partners.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latias's most powerful attack, able to deal heavy damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it. Psyshock gives Latias a consistent form of damage output, allowing it to deal with Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Breloom while giving it a way to hit Fairy-types. Healing Wish allows Latias to remove all damage and status from one of its teammates, but it causes Latias to faint upon using it. Defog removes all entry hazards from the field, (period to comma) whereas (subjective; the repeated short sentences feel stifled, and these moves are slashed with each other anyway) Roost provides Latias a way of healing itself, granting it more staying power. Thunderbolt can be run over Psyshock, giving Latias a harder hit on against Manaphy, Mega Charizard Y, and Azumarill while maintaining coverage on Keldeo. However, Latias will not be able to beat Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Set Details
========

The HP investment prevents Latias from being 2HKOed by Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, while 252 Speed and a Timid nature allow it to outrun outspeed (outrun is fine.) Keldeo and Terrakion and Speed tie with Latios, Gengar, and other Latias. The remaining EVs are put into Special Attack in order to give Latias more offensive power. A Life Orb serves to improve Latias's damage output, with a slight cost to its health. If Thundurus isn't an issue, a spread of 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe can be run to maximize Latias's offensive presence.

Usage Tips
========

Latias is able to switch into Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, (RC) and check Breloom, Mega Manectric, and Rotom-W. Bear in mind that many of these Pokemon are commonly paired with Pursuit trappers, so be wary of a double switch or Volt Switch (or perhaps a Volt Switch) (I don't see why the parenthetical is needed) as Latias comes in. Defog should be used when you need to remove entry hazards from your own side of the field, but be aware if your opponent has a Bisharp or Thundurus, as because Defog can triggers their ability, (remove comma) Defiant, which could prove dangerous. When running Roost, look for opportunities to use it against Pokemon that can't threaten Latias, as this will allow it to stay healthy throughout the match. When running Healing Wish, wait to use it until Latias is no longer needed or where until a crippled teammate would be more useful to have healthy again. Using Healing Wish too early leaves the team without an answer to several potent attackers, so it's best to wait until they have been dealt with before getting rid of your answer to them.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types, (RC) such as Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, and Mega Heracross are able to beat Dark-types like Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Weavile for Latias. Fire- and Ground-types, (RC) such as Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus-T, and Garchomp can help deal with Steel-types. (hyphenate) Steel-types like Jirachi and Metagross are able to beat Fairy-types. In return, Latias provides a switch-in for bulky Water-types that these Pokemon typically dislike going up against. Fairy-types like Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir are able to beat opposing Dragon-types, which can heavily damage Latias. Setup sweepers appreciate Latias's ability to heal them up to full via Healing Wish, as this allows them to exert pressure early on without worrying about being crippled. Offensive powerhouses such as Dragon Dance Gyarados, Swords Dance Mega Scizor, Tail Glow Manaphy, Swords Dance Talonflame, Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Bisharp, and Serperior can all take advantage of Latias's support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Latias's offensive movepool is fairly varied, carrying moves such as Surf, Earthquake, Grass Knot, and both Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Fighting. However, it faces heavy competition from Latios in an offensive role, as Latios's superior firepower makes it the favored choice. Because of this, however, Latias is able to lull typical switch-ins into a false sense of security (This is the proper idiom) and lure them more effectively. Colbur Berry is an option to halve the power of a Dark-type move, granting Latias a way of escaping Pursuit trappers once without taking too much damage. Stored Power can be run over a coverage move on the Mega Calm Mind set, as it outdamages Psyshock after two boosts and can let Mega Latias run over opposing Calm Mind boosters (Comment on content: I misread this a few times, as I couldn't understand why Psyshock didn't win Calm Mind wars as well. To further my confusion, Psyshock was not mentioned at all in the Defensive set, where Calm Mind was mentioned. I would consider not mentioning Psyshock here as a result. ). However, the poor coverage that this replacement causes (or similar, otherwise it's unclear) makes Latias struggle against Pokemon that resist its moves if it hasn't gotten a ton of boosts. It Stored Power also struggles to deal damage without boosting, making it really only useful for the late-game. (My personal suggestion would be to clarify the antecedent for "It" to be "Stored Power". Intuitively I know you don't mean Latias, but I think this might be confusing after referring to Latios as a generally more powerful alternative.) (this is good)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill, Metagross, Klefki, and Scizor resist both of Latias's STAB moves and can easily set up against it.

**Dark-types**: Bisharp, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Hoopa-U are all immune to Latias's Psychic-type STAB moves and are able to deal heavy damage back to it. The former three also have access to Pursuit, which can KO Latias even if it tries to switch out.

**Fairy-types**: Azumarill, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Altaria, and Sylveon are immune to Latias's Dragon-type STAB moves and in turn (repetitive with "back") are able to threaten it back with super effective attacks.

**Faster Attackers**: Priority attackers, Choice Scarf users, and naturally faster Pokemon can be a huge threat threats to Latias. Be on the lookout for Mamoswine, Toxicroak, Scizor, Talonflame, Kyurem-B, and Landorus-T, as these Pokemon commonly carry priority moves or a Choice Scarf. Other Naturally faster threats include Scolipede, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and Tornadus-T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)