Latios (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

phantom

Banned deucer.
[Overview]

<p>It doesn't seem to matter what metagame Latios ventures into; he's always destined for success, and here in Doubles, Latios's cataclysmic Dragon-type moves and trailblazing Speed make him an offensive threat that every team must prepare for. Latios is tied with Kyurem for the most powerful Draco Meteor in Doubles, but unlike Kyurem, Latios has the necessary Speed to utilize this trait to the fullest. In addition to all of the splendors that come with Latios's offensive capabilities, he has some very handy resistances to Water-, Fighting-, and Electric-type moves and an immunity to Ground-type attacks. Along with his excellent STABs, Latios is able to use these to demolish many prominent support Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Amoonguss, and check many offensive threats including Rotom-W and Breloom. Unfortunately for Latios, his coverage, while good, is simply not enough to help him break through the likes of Jirachi and Tyranitar. Latios is also inflicted with some nasty weaknesses to Dark-, Ice-, and Dragon-type moves, which makes him rather easy to pick off. Nonetheless, if you need an offensive Pokemon with great resistances that is capable of tearing open the opposing team, then Latios is sure to satisfy those needs.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Tailwind / Substitute
move 4: Protect
item: Dragon Gem / Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor is so ferociously powerful that many Pokemon are forced to invest in Special Defense EVs just to survive it, this gives you a good indicator of just how dominant Latios is. Dragon Pulse is a weaker, more consistent version of Draco Meteor that allows Latios to better sweep late-game, but it lacks the much-needed raw power that Draco Meteor possesses. Psyshock destroys Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr and Breloom without incurring Draco Meteor's horrid Special Attack drops. Tailwind works rather well by combating speed control attempts from Icy Wind users. Tailwind also allows Latios to outspeed all Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Choice Scarf users, making him impossible to revenge kill outside of priority. This is where Substitute comes in, as it cushions the impact and/or avoids priority attacks from the likes of Mamoswine and Bisharp, prevents faster Pokemon such as Darkrai from reliably revenge killing Latios, and gives him a way to maneuver around speed control moves such as Thunder Wave and Icy Wind. However, keep in mind that if Latios opts for a Life Orb, he will be worn down rather quickly with Substitute. Like Substitute, Protect allows Latios to scout for spread moves such as Blizzard, shield himself from the spread moves of his own teammates, and avoid pesky Fake Outs; Protect also doesn't wear Latios down like Substitute does.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Gem boosts Latios's Dragon-type moves to magnificent levels, giving it power akin to Choice Specs and without being locked into a single move for one attack. With a Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor, Latios is able to get the OHKO on bulky Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Landorus-T with maximum HP investment. Life Orb doesn't boost Latios's Dragon-type moves to the same extent; however, it provides a meaty boost to Psyshock, enough so that Latios can OHKO Amoonguss and Hitmontop. With power in mind, Latios can use a Modest nature to further bolster his Special Attack, but he misses out on one of his key advantages: Speed. Modest Dragon Gem Latios works rather well with Tailwind and has a chance to OHKO all the bulky Pokemon EV trained to survive a Timid Draco Meteor, such as bulky support Thundurus, so it's a decent option to consider.</p>

<p>Latios has a nice selection of effective coverage moves that includes Surf, Thunder, Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Ground, and Psychic. Surf and Thunder in particular work rather well with Politoed's rain support. Latios would generally use Surf against Tyranitar once Politoed removes the sand. With Politoed's Helping Hand support, Latios equipped with Life Orb is capable of OHKOing Tyranitar and Heatran, two of his main counters. Thunder allows Latios to break through bulky Water-types with greater ease. For example, Latios has the capability to OHKO Jellicent and Suicune with a Life Orb and Helping Hand-boosted Thunder. Hidden Power Fire is an option that works if Latios wants to lure and critically maim or destroy Steel-types in a non-rain team. With Hidden Power Fire, Latios can eradicate Metagross, Jirachi, Scizor, and Escavalier. When Latios opts for Hidden Power Fire, both Sunny Day Cresselia and Ninetales make acceptable partners to help power up the move. Hidden Power Ground provides Latios with similar coverage to Hidden Power Fire, but unlike the attack mentioned earlier, it doesn't lower Latios's Speed IVs, which ensures that he Speed ties at worst with opposing Latios. Psychic can be used over Psyshock to hit physically defensive Pokemon for greater damage, but Psyshock is superior because of its ability to hit Hitmontop and Amoonguss harder.</p>

<p>Latios's best support partners are Jirachi, Hitmontop, and Scrafty. Jirachi can redirect powerful Dragon-type moves away from Latios with Follow Me and both provide speed control support via Icy Wind and boost Latios's already monstrous Draco Meteor with Helping Hand. Just like Jirachi, Hitmontop can provide Helping Hand support, but Hitmontop's STAB Fighting-type moves benefit Latios as well because they can severely dent many of Latios's check and counters such as Bisharp, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Hitmontop can also support Latios with Fake Out, Intimidate, and Wide Guard. Fake Out renders one of the two opposing Pokemon useless for a single turn, giving Latios free reign to unleash his powerful attacks on the less threatening target. Wide Guard shields Latios from dangerous spread moves such as Blizzard and Icy Wind, and Intimidate helps Latios better tank physical attacks. Scrafty lacks Wide Guard, but it can provide all the other support Hitmontop can; Scrafty is also capable of crippling Cresselia with its STAB Crunch, which aids Latios immensely.</p>

<p>Latios's Levitate ability and vulnerability to Steel-types makes him the perfect partner for Ground-type attackers. Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Garchomp are all fine partners that can remove Latios's checks and counters such as Jirachi, Tyranitar, Heatran, Bisharp, and Metagross, and they all come with individual advantages. Excadrill possess blistering Speed in the sand, allowing it to destroy any annoying Steel-types immediately. Excadrill also deals fairly well with Cresselia and most priority users. Landorus-T has the highest Attack stat of the three and provides some handy Intimidate support. Garchomp is the middle child between the previous two, possessing great Speed and Attack stats. Lastly, Infernape makes an excellent partner by providing Latios a free turn to attack with its Fake Out, and decimating Latios's checks such as Tyranitar, Scizor, Heatran, and Weavile with its excellent STABs.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Latios has a fairly good movepool full of interesting niche options. Helping Hand and dual screens can both be used to support Latios's teammates, but Latias is generally a better fit for those two roles. Heal Pulse is another support move; it allows Latios to restore the health of a teammates, but he is better filling more of an offensive role. Grass Knot can be used to 2HKO Tyranitar on the switch after a Life Orb boost or put Tyranitar into Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor KO range, but it is rather situational. Haban Berry can help Latios survive an otherwise fatal attack such as Kingdra's Dragon Pulse and OHKO back. Yache Berry can also be useful because it allows Latios to survive Mamoswine's Ice Shard. Psych Up is an interesting gimmick that can catch the likes of Quiver Dance Volcarona off guard and can be used to gain a partner's stat boosts, though keep in mind that accomplishing the former task requires heavy support from Rage Powder or Follow Me users, particularly Togekiss in this case. Choice sets with Trick can also be effective, but Latios is forced out more than is desirable when using them. Latios can attempt to utilize a speed control move in the form of Thunder Wave; however, Latios's time is better spent attacking. Finally, Latios can use a rather unconventional yet effective offensive Calm Mind set with Follow Me support, which helps smash through the opposing team with considerable ease.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Latios's main objective is to use his powerful STABs to dismantle the opposing team and allow his other teammates to clean up after him; there is one Pokemon that completely shuts down this strategy: Jirachi. Jirachi's solid bulk, resistance to both of Latios's STABs, and access to Follow Me let it take his attacks and prevent him from touching its teammates. From there, Jirachi can strip Latios of his Speed via Icy Wind or hit him with repeated Iron Heads. Just like Jirachi, Steel-types in general tend to be good at walling Latios's conventional sets. Provided that Latios lacks Hidden Power Fire, Metagross and Escavalier can take a hit and OHKO back. Heatran is another Steel-type that can defeat Latios, though it must watch out for the rare Surf and Hidden Power Ground. Although they lack resistances to Latios's Dragon-type STABs, Tyranitar and Cresselia make excellent checks for their ability to tank Latios's attacks fairly well and destroy him with Crunch or cripple him with Thunder Wave or Icy Wind, respectively. With speed control in mind, Thundurus can just barely survive one of Latios's Draco Meteors and cripple him with Prankster Thunder Wave.</p>

<p>Latios's many common weaknesses make him rather easy to revenge kill. Although none of these Pokemon can directly switch into Latios, Darkrai, Weavile, Kingdra (in the rain), and Tornadus can all outspeed and kill him fairly easily. Some Choice Scarf users worth mentioning that can revenge kill Latios include Abomasnow, Cloyster, the Kyurem formes, Genesect, and Hydreigon. Cloyster in particular can even revenge kill him behind a Substitute through the use of Icicle Spear. Lastly, Latios is quite vulnerable to priority attacks; the most notable priority users that can take him out are Mamoswine, Scizor, and Bisharp. Something to keep in mind is that Latios is incredibly dependent on his Speed to do his job, so as long as you can make use of any form of Speed control&mdash;in the form of Icy Wind, Thunder Wave, Trick Room, and the like&mdash;you should do well against him.</p>

[Overview]
  • tied with kyurem for the most powerful draco meteor in doubles
  • excellent speed stat and good coverage moves
  • good resistances allow it to be a good answer to water-, electric-, and fighting-type pokemon
  • has many common weaknesses to Ice-, Dragon, and Dark-type attacks though and easy to revenge kill as a result
[SET]
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Draco Meteor hits like a nuke and can OHKO half the tier
  • Dragon Pulse is not as strong but is more reliable
  • Psyshock destroys Hitmontop and Amoongus
  • Tailwind allows Laitios' team to sweep late game
  • Protect allows it to outstall trick room turns and avoid certain spread moves
  • Substitute dodges sucker punch and other priority moves

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Modest Nature
  • Dragon Gem makes Latios' Draco Meteor deal ridiculous amounts of damage, while Life Orb is less powerful, it can give all its moves a good boost, especially psyshock as the boost provided allows it to severely damage hitmontop and amoongus
  • Works well with Jirachi as it can keep Ice- and Dragon-type moves away from it
  • Hitmontop can give it a free turn to attack with Fake Out and keep away spread moves such as Icy wind and Blizzard with wide guard and use its close combat to destroy some of latio's checks such as bisharp, tyranitar, and heatran
  • Excadrill, Garchomp, and Landorus also makes good partners because they can deal with many of Latios' counters like tyranitar and heatran, and latios's levitate ability gives it a handy immunity to their stabs, allowing them to spam their ground-type moves freely
  • Scrafty can give support similar to Hitmontop and it can also deal with Cresselia fairly well
  • Infernape and Heatran can also take on Latios' checks such as bisharp, jirachi, and bisharp while Latios can destroy dragon-types that trouble them
  • Hidden Power Fire roasts Ferrothorn and other steel-types
  • Can work with Ninetales and Sunny Day Cresselia too, as they can power up Latios' Hidden Power Fire and prevent swift swim users from revenge killing him
  • Politoed support allows it to use Thunder and powers up its Surf
  • Psychic to hit physically oriented pokemon harder
  • Surf can work to beat heatran and ttar
  • hidden power ground beats steel-types while having the ability to speed tie with other latios

[Other Options]
  • Heal Pulse
  • Helping Hand
  • Thunder Wave
  • Grass Knot to screw with Tyranitar
  • Yache and Haban Berry
  • Psych Up
  • Dual Screens
  • Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
  • Calm Mind can work with fake out / follow me support
[Checks and Counters]
  • Jirachi
  • Metagross / Escavalier if lacking Hidden Power Fire
  • Tyranitar
  • Heatran if lacking Surf
  • Cresselia can ruin latios with speed control in the form of icy wind / twave
  • Darkrai, Kingdra, Tornadus, Genesect, Mamoswine, Scizor, Bisharp, and Weavile can all revenge kill it
  • choice scarf users such as abomasnow, cloyster, the kyurem formes, and hydreigon
  • Thundurus-I can live a Draco Meteor and cripple Latios with T-wave
  • Speed control in general in the form of Trick Room, Icy Wind, Tailwind, T-wave, ect

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
at first look you forgot to mention how Substitute Latios allows it to potentially set up on foes attempting to use Sucker Punch like Hitmontop and Bisharp. So I would like to see Substitute slashed behind protect. Something else I noticed is that Psyshock is the stronger option vs a lot of Pokemon So I would like to see that in place of Psychic. In the checks and counters, you should also mention Thunurus-I, the SpDef set lives a Draco Meteor and by that point Latios will be Paralyzed.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, some things I'd like to see here:
  • Tornadus-I should be mentioned in Checks and Counters. Outspeeds and Flying Gem Acrobatics has a high chance to OHKO. Bisharp should also be mentioned since Sucker Punch will mess Latios up
  • Either slash Specs as an item or mention it somewhere. I've used it and its great for allowing you to not have to get forced out after using DM once.
  • Latios isn't frail (not bulky but frail is a bit of an overstatement) so I don't think that should be in overview
  • Psych Up in OO. Is kinda gimmicky but I've seen it be p. decent in tandem w/ QD Volcarona and could be decent with other boosting mons.
  • Screens might be interesting to mention but usually would be better using Latias so your call if you'd like to add them there
looks nice though, so good job there :)

honestly if sub is going anywhere id like it to be over surf. surf's coverage is meh, and it hurts your own pokemon, which is rarely a good thing if its not earthquake. mention it in (at the most) ac with hp ground. hp ground hits some steels (heatran/metagross), but lets you speed tie with other latios.

modest nature in oo as well for power over speed, which can be nice if you're running semi tr or heavy speed support. also choice scarf/specs need to be in oo at least, if not a set of their own.

A couple of things:
1) What does it tie with? Specify because A) the people reading this will probably not know, and B) (this is the more important one) I have no idea what it ties with ;-;
2) I wouldn't really say it works well with Ninetales, I'd say it appreciates Sunny Day/Drought support in general, Sunny Day Cresselia would be just as useful a partner as Ninetales
3) Drop Memento from OO, KOing yourself just to force one member of the opposition to switch isn't exactly a stellar option
4) I'd specify speed control in general as a Check to Latios; Tailwind, Icy Wind, Thunder Wave, and Trick Room will all leave it outsped and easy to take out, though Icy Wind is the least effective, since it can be stopped by switching out, and isn't as dynamic as the other three.
5) This is really good (at least from what I see), so look into those, and I'll stamp you

QC Approval 1/3

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview should mention how Latios is an excellent answer to most Water-, Electric-, and to a lesser extent, Fighting-type (Breloom / Hitmontop) threats out there.

I'm not a big fan of HP Fire, since you lose out on opposing Latios, and Occa Berry can easily screw Latios over. I actually prefer Dragon Pulse on that slot instead, since sometimes you wish to clean up with its STAB dragon move without the annoying special falls. I'd drop HP Fire to AC imho. I am welcome to more input here.

Remove Icy Wind - that's simply Bisharp bait, and honestly Latios has better things to do.

Add the following moves to OO:
  1. Thunder Wave for paralysis
  2. Thunder for frying Politoed and other Water-types in the Rain (plus dishes good neutral damage against Steel-types).
  3. Calm Mind @ LO with Fake Out / Follow Me support
  4. Modest Nature, as per lucariojr's suggestion

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
excellent speed stat and wide assortment of coverage moves
i am reluctant to call latios's movepool wide, since it does lack moves like Fire Blast and Focus Blast to get past Steel-types and Tyranitar. I'd say its coverage moves are "sufficient."
has many common weaknesses though and easy to revenge kill as a result
specify these weaknesses (ie Blizzard, Draco Meteor, Sucker Punch)
Dragon Gem makes Latios' Draco Meteor deal ridiculous amounts of damage, while Life Orb is less powerful, it can give all its moves a good boost
Worth noting that LO provides a boost on Psyshock, too. Note that LO boost allows Latios to OHKO Support Hitmontop 100% of the time and Amoonguss 81% of the time.
Hitmontop can give it a free turn to attack with Fake Out and keep away spread moves such as Icy wind and Blizzard with wide guard
Also mention Hitmontop's Close Combat coming handy in disposing Bisharp, Heatran, and Tyranitar for Latios
Excadrill, Garchomp, and Landorus also makes good partners because they can deal with many of Latios' counters
specify these counters. Also note that Latios's Levitate ability allows these partners to spam EQ without worry
Tyranitar / Heatran if lacking Surf
Tyranitar takes way more damage from Latios's Draco Meteor than from Surf, so TTar is a solid check to Latios with or without Surf. HP Fighting is more appropriate here, but Chople Tar screws that, too.
Cresselia can potentiality outstall it
It's not so much that it can outstall it, but the fact it can cripple Latios with one of its Speed control options (Icy Wind, Thunder Wave, Trick Room)

You can remove Thunder in OO, since you mentioned it in AC

You forgot to add Calm Mind with Fake Out / Follow Me support

You should note fast Scarfers under C&C, such as Scarf Abomasnow, Scarf Cloyster, Scarf Kyurem(-B), Scarf Hydreigon.

Pocket

• Dragon Gem makes Latios' Draco Meteor deal ridiculous amounts of damage, while Life Orb is less powerful, it can give all its moves a good boost, especially psyshock as the boost provided allows it to severly daamge hitmontop and amoongus
Be more specific and state that LO Psyshock always OHKO Hitmontop and has a very high chance to OHKO Amoonguss, too.

Otherwise, thanks for making these changes

QC Approved (2/3)

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
AC said:
Hidden Power Fire is an option that would work if Latios is being used on a sun team. With Hidden Power Fire, Latios can eradicate Metagross, Jirachi, and Escavalier.
Lastly, Infernape makes an excellent partner by providing Latios a free turn to attack with Fake out, and decimating Latios's checks such as Escavalier and Weavile with its excellent STABs.</p>
Mention Scizor in both of these places. Even 4 HP Infernape survives +2 Adamant Steel Gem Bullet Punch from Scizor.

Checks and Counters said:
Psych Up is an interesting gimmick that can catch the likes of Quiver Dance Volcarona off guard.
Note that this needs MASSIVE Follow Me / Rage Powder support as if it has a boost (which you need to steal), it can just OHKO you with Bug Buzz. Also mention that you can use it on your own booster, Volcarona included.

Overall very good analysis, albeit a bit lengthy but justifiable because Latios is so diverse.

[QC 3/3]

GP check. Good job on writing this. Amoonguss two s plz
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple
[Overview]

<p>It doesn't seem to matter what metagame Latios ventures into, he's always destined for success, and here in Doubles, Latios's cataclysmic Dragon-type moves and trailblazing Speed makes make him an offensive threat that every team prepares must prepare for. Latios is tied with Kyurem for the most powerful Draco Meteor in Doubles, but unlike Kyurem, however, Latios has the necessary Speed to abuse utilize this trait to the fullest. Even with In addition to all of the splendors that come with Latios's offensive capabilities, he has some very handy resistances to Water-, Fighting-, and Electric-type moves. Along with his excellent STABs, Latios is able to use these to (this is assuming you're saying that it can demolish them both because of its STABs and its resistances; if you're just referring to his STABs, flip the order of this sentence and the one before it, do not add 'use these to', and remove 'Along' from the beginning of the sentence) demolish many prominent support Pokemon (add comma) such as Hitmontop and Amoongus Amoonguss, and check many offensive threats including Rotom-W and Breloom. Unfortunately for Latios, his coverage, while good, is simply not enough to help him break past through the likes of Jirachi and Tyranitar. Latios is also inflicted with some nasty weaknesses to Dark-, Ice-, and Dragon-type moves, which makes him rather easy to pick off. Nonetheless, if you need an offensive Pokemon with great resistances that is capable of tearing open the opposing team, then Latios is sure to satisfy those needs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor is so ferociously powerful that some many (this is subjective and your call because you know Doubles better than me, but I feel like I've seen this in a bunch of analyses) Pokemon are forced to (it's so powerful that with defense investment Pokemon can survive it doesn't sound too threatening) specifically invest Special Defense EVs just to survive the attack it, (change to semicolon) this gives you a good indicator on of just how dominant Latios is. Dragon Pulse is a weaker, more consistent version of Draco Meteor that allows Latios to better sweep late-game, though but it lacks the much-needed raw power that Draco Meteor possesses. Psyshock razes destroys (or another word you prefer, I think raze is mostly for buildings) Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr and Blaziken without incurring Draco Meteor's horrid Special Attack drops. Tailwind works rather well by combating speed control attempts from Icy Wind users. Tailwind also allows Latios to outspeed most Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Choice Scarf users, this makes Latios making him impossible to revenge kill outside of priority. This is where Substitute comes in, as it cushions the impact and/or avoids priority attacks from the likes of Mamoswine and Bisharp, prevents faster Pokemon such as Darkrai from reliably revenge killing Latios, and gives him a way to maneuver around speed control moves such as Thunder Wave and Icy Wind. Although However, keep in mind that (add comma) if Latios opts for a Life Orb, he will be worn down rather quickly with Substitute. By the same token of Like Substitute, Protect allows Latios to scout for spread moves such as Blizzard, shield himself from the spread moves of his own teammates, and avoid pesky Fake Outs, (change to semicolon) though Protect also doesn't wear Latios down like Substitute does.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Gem boosts Latios's Dragon-type moves to magnificent levels, giving it power akin to the power of Choice Specs and without being locked into a single move, but at the cost of being a one-time use for one attack. With a Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor, Latios is able to get the OHKO on Rotom-W and Reuniclus. Life Orb doesn't boost Latios's Dragon-type moves to the same extent; however, it provides a meaty boost to Psyshock, enough so that Latios can OHKO Amoongus Amoonguss and a slightly weakened Hitmontop. With power in mind, Latios can use a Modest nature to further bolster his Special Attack, but he misses out on one of his key advantages: Speed. Modest Dragon Gem Latios works rather well with Tailwind and has a chance to OHKO the likes of Bisharp and 2HKO Tyranitar, so it's a decent option to consider.</p>

<p>Latios has a nice selection of effective coverage moves that includes Surf, Thunder, Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Ground, and Psychic. Surf and Thunder in particular work rather well with Politoed's rain support. Surf is given a handy 1.5 boost under the rain and Thunder is given perfect accuracy. Latios would generally use Surf against Tyranitar once Politoed removes the sand. With Politoed's Helping Hand support, Latios is capable of OHKOing Tyranitar and Heatran, two of its his (assuming this refers to Latios) main counters. Thunder allows Latios to break through bulky Water-types with greater ease. For example, Latios has the capability to OHKO Jellicent and Suicune with a Life Orb and Helping Hand-boosted Thunder. Hidden Power Fire is an option that works if Latios is being used on a sun team. With Hidden Power Fire, Latios can eradicate Metagross, Jirachi, Scizor, and Escavalier. When Latios opts for Hidden Power Fire, both Sunny Day Cresselia and Ninetales make acceptable partners to help power up the move. Hidden Power Ground provides Latios with similar coverage to Hidden Power Fire, but unlike the aforementioned attack mentioned earlier, however, it doesn't lower Latios's Speed IVs, which in turn allows him to Speed tie ensures he Speed ties at worst with opposing Latios. Psychic can be used over Psyshock to hit physically defensive Pokemon for greater damage, but Psyshock is superior because of its ability to hit Hitmontop and Amoongus Amoonguss harder.</p>

<p>Latios's best support partners are Jirachi, Hitmontop, and Scrafty. Jirachi can redirect powerful Dragon-type moves away from Latios with Follow Me and both provide both speed control support via Icy Wind and boost Latios's already monstrous Draco Meteor with Helping Hand. Just like Jirachi, Hitmontop can provide Helping Hand support as well, but Hitmontop's STAB Fighting-type moves benefit Latios as well because it they can severely dent many of Latios's check and counters such as Bisharp, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Hitmontop can also support Latios with Fake Out, Intimidate, and Wide Guard. Fake Out renders one of the two opposing Pokemon useless for a single turn, this gives giving Latios free reign to unleash its powerful attacks on the less threatening target. Wide Guard shields Latios from dangerous spread moves such as Blizzard and Icy Wind, and Intimidate helps Latios better tank physical attacks. Scrafty lacks Wide Guard and Fake Out (??? Scrafty has Fake Out; it's going on the one set on its Doubles analysis; remove this or replace it with a different move it doesn't have), but it can provide all the other support Hitmontop can; however, Scrafty is also capable of 2HKOing Cresselia with its STAB Crunch, which aids Latios immensely.</p>

<p>Latios's Levitate ability and vulnerability to Steel-types makes him the perfect partner for Ground-type attackers. Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Garchomp are all fine partners that can remove Latios's checks/counters checks and counters such as Jirachi, Tyranitar, Heatran, Bisharp, and Metagross, and they all come with individual advantages. Excadrill possess blistering Speed in the sand, allowing it to destroy any annoying Steel-types immediately. Excadrill also deals fairly well with Cresselia and most priority users. Landorus-T has the highest Attack stat of all the three and provides some handy Intimidate support. Garchomp is the middle child between the previous two, possessing great Speed and Attack stats. Lastly, Infernape makes an excellent partner by providing Latios a free turn to attack with its Fake out, Out and decimating Latios's checks such as Escavalier, Scizor, and Weavile with its excellent STABs.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Latios has a fairly good movepool full of interesting niche options. Helping Hand and dual screens can both be used to support Latios's teammates, though but Latias is generally a better fit for those two roles. Heal Pulse is another support move, (change to semicolon) it allows Latios to restore the health of a his teammates, though Latios usually plays but he is generally better filling more of an offensive role. Grass Knot can be used to land an easy 2HKO on Tyranitar or the switch, though but it is rather situational. Haban Berry can help Latios survive a an otherwise fatal attack such as Kingdra's Dragon Pulse and OHKO back. Yache Berry can also be useful because it can allow allows Latios to survive Mamoswine's Ice Shard. Psych Up is an interesting gimmick that can catch the likes of Quiver Dance Volcarona off guard and can be used to gain a partner's stat boosts, though keep in mind that accomplishing the former task requires heavy support from Rage Powder or Follow Me users, particularly Togekiss in this case. Choice sets with Trick can also be effective, though Latios has to be forced out is forced to switch out more than it should is desirable when using them. Latios can attempt to utilize a speed control move in the form of Thunder Wave. Finally, Latios can use a rather unconventional, yet effective offensive Calm Mind set with Follow Me support. (give reasons why Thunder Wave and a Calm Mind set are bad/less effective and thus in Other Options if they exist)</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Latios Latios's main objective is to use his powerful STABs to dismantle the opposing team and allow his other teammates to clean up after him, (change to semicolon) there is one Pokemon that completely shuts down this strategy: Jirachi. Jirachi's solid bulk, resistance to both of Latios's STABs, and access to Follow Me let it take his attacks and prevent Latios him from touching Jirachi's its teammates. From there, Jirachi can strip Latios of his Speed via Icy Wind or hit him with repeated Iron Heads. Just like Jirachi, Steel-types in general tend to be quite annoying because of their ability to wall good at walling Latios's conventional sets. Provided that Latios lacks Hidden Power Fire, Metagross and Escavalier can take a hit and OHKO back. Heatran is another Steel-type that can defeat Latios, though it must watch out for the rare Surf and Hidden Power Ground (you mentioned both in AC). Although they lack resistances to Latios's Dragon-type STABs, Tyranitar and Cresselia make excellent checks for their ability to tank Latios's attacks fairly well and destroy him with Crunch or cripple him with Thunder Wave/Ice Wind Thunder Wave or Icy Wind, respectively. With speed control in mind, Thundurus can just barely survive one of Latios's Draco Meteors and cripple him with Prankster Thunder Wave.</p>

<p>As stated previously, Latios's many common weaknesses make him rather easy to revenge kill. Although none of these Pokemon can directly switch into Latios, Darkrai, Weavile, Genesect, Kingdra (in the rain), and Tornadus can all outspeed and kill him fairly easily. Some Choice Scarf users worth mentioning that can revenge kill Latios include Abomasnow, Cloyster, the Kyurem formes, and Hydreigon. Cloyster in particular can even revenge kill him behind a Substitute through the use of Icicle Spear. Lastly, Latios is quite vulnerable to priority attacks, (change to semicolon or start new sentence) the most notable priority users that can take him out are Mamoswine, Scizor, and Bisharp. Something to keep in mind is that Latios is incredibly dependent on his Speed to do his job, so as long as you can make use of any form of Speed speed control&mdash;in the form of Icy Wind, Thunder Wave, Trick Room, ect etc&mdash;then you should do well against him.</p>

GP: 1/2

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]
(Break)
<p>It doesn't seem to matter what metagame Latios ventures into,; he's always destined for success, and here in Doubles, Latios's cataclysmic Dragon-type moves and trailblazing Speed make him an offensive threat that every team must prepare for. Latios is tied with Kyurem for the most powerful Draco Meteor in Doubles, but unlike Kyurem, Latios has the necessary Speed to utilize this trait to the fullest. In addition to all of the splendors that come with Latios's offensive capabilities, he has some very handy resistances to Water-, Fighting-, and Electric-type moves and an immunity to Ground-type attacks. Along with his excellent STABs, Latios is able to use these to demolish many prominent support Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Amoonguss, and check many offensive threats including Rotom-W and Breloom. Unfortunately for Latios, his coverage, while good, is simply not enough to help him break through the likes of Jirachi and Tyranitar. Latios is also inflicted with some nasty weaknesses to Dark-, Ice-, and Dragon-type moves, which makes him rather easy to pick off. Nonetheless, if you need an offensive Pokemon with great resistances that is capable of tearing open the opposing team, then Latios is sure to satisfy those needs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor is so ferociously powerful that many Pokemon are forced to invest in Special Defense EVs just to survive it, this gives you a good indicator of just how dominant Latios is. Dragon Pulse is a weaker, more consistent version of Draco Meteor that allows Latios to better sweep late-game, but it lacks the much-needed raw power that Draco Meteor possesses. Psyshock destroys Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr and Blaziken without incurring Draco Meteor's horrid Special Attack drops. Tailwind works rather well by combating speed control attempts from Icy Wind users. Tailwind also allows Latios to outspeed most Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Choice Scarf users, making him impossible to revenge kill outside of priority. This is where Substitute comes in, as it cushions the impact and(space)/(space)or avoids priority attacks from the likes of Mamoswine and Bisharp, prevents faster Pokemon such as Darkrai from reliably revenge killing Latios, and gives him a way to maneuver around speed control moves such as Thunder Wave and Icy Wind. However, keep in mind that, if Latios opts for a Life Orb, he will be worn down rather quickly with Substitute. Like Substitute, Protect allows Latios to scout for spread moves such as Blizzard, shield himself from the spread moves of his own teammates, and avoid pesky Fake Outs; Protect also doesn't wear Latios down like Substitute does.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Dragon Gem boosts Latios's Dragon-type moves to magnificent levels, giving it power akin to Choice Specs and without being locked into a single move for one attack. With a Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor, Latios is able to get the OHKO on Rotom-W and Reuniclus. Life Orb doesn't boost Latios's Dragon-type moves to the same extent; however, it provides a meaty boost to Psyshock, enough so that Latios can OHKO Amoonguss and a slightly weakened Hitmontop. With power in mind, Latios can use a Modest nature to further bolster his Special Attack, but he misses out on one of his key advantages: Speed. Modest Dragon Gem Latios works rather well with Tailwind and has a chance to OHKO Bisharp and 2HKO Tyranitar, so it's a decent option to consider.</p>

<p>Latios has a nice selection of effective coverage moves that includes Surf, Thunder, Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Ground, and Psychic. Surf and Thunder in particular work rather well with Politoed's rain support. Latios would generally use Surf against Tyranitar once Politoed removes the sand. With Politoed's Helping Hand support, Latios is capable of OHKOing Tyranitar and Heatran, two of his main counters. Thunder allows Latios to break through bulky Water-types with greater ease. For example, Latios has the capability to OHKO Jellicent and Suicune with a Life Orb and Helping Hand-boosted Thunder. Hidden Power Fire is an option that works if Latios is being used on a sun team. With Hidden Power Fire, Latios can eradicate Metagross, Jirachi, Scizor, and Escavalier. When Latios opts for Hidden Power Fire, both Sunny Day Cresselia and Ninetales make acceptable partners to help power up the move. Hidden Power Ground provides Latios with similar coverage to Hidden Power Fire, but unlike the attack mentioned earlier, it doesn't lower Latios's Speed IVs, which ensures that he Speed ties at worst with opposing Latios. Psychic can be used over Psyshock to hit physically defensive Pokemon for greater damage, but Psyshock is superior because of its ability to hit Hitmontop and Amoonguss harder.</p>

<p>Latios's best support partners are Jirachi, Hitmontop, and Scrafty. Jirachi can redirect powerful Dragon-type moves away from Latios with Follow Me and both provide speed control support via Icy Wind and boost Latios's already monstrous Draco Meteor with Helping Hand. Just like Jirachi, Hitmontop can provide Helping Hand support, but Hitmontop's STAB Fighting-type moves benefit Latios as well because they can severely dent many of Latios's check and counters such as Bisharp, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Hitmontop can also support Latios with Fake Out, Intimidate, and Wide Guard. Fake Out renders one of the two opposing Pokemon useless for a single turn, giving Latios free reign to unleash his powerful attacks on the less threatening target. Wide Guard shields Latios from dangerous spread moves such as Blizzard and Icy Wind, and Intimidate helps Latios better tank physical attacks. Scrafty lacks Wide Guard, but it can provide all the other support Hitmontop can; Scrafty is also capable of 2HKOing Cresselia with its STAB Crunch, which aids Latios immensely.</p>

<p>Latios's Levitate ability and vulnerability to Steel-types makes him the perfect partner for Ground-type attackers. Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Garchomp are all fine partners that can remove Latios's checks and counters such as Jirachi, Tyranitar, Heatran, Bisharp, and Metagross, and they all come with individual advantages. Excadrill possess blistering Speed in the sand, allowing it to destroy any annoying Steel-types immediately. Excadrill also deals fairly well with Cresselia and most priority users. Landorus-T has the highest Attack stat of the three and provides some handy Intimidate support. Garchomp is the middle child between the previous two, possessing great Speed and Attack stats. Lastly, Infernape makes an excellent partner by providing Latios a free turn to attack with its Fake Out, and decimating Latios's checks such as Escavalier, Scizor, and Weavile with its excellent STABs.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Latios has a fairly good movepool full of interesting niche options. Helping Hand and dual screens can both be used to support Latios's teammates, but Latias is generally a better fit for those two roles. Heal Pulse is another support move; it allows Latios to restore the health of a teammates, but he is better filling more of an offensive role. Grass Knot can be used to land an easy 2HKO on Tyranitar or the switch, but it is rather situational. Haban Berry can help Latios survive an otherwise fatal attack such as Kingdra's Dragon Pulse and OHKO back. Yache Berry can also be useful because it allows Latios to survive Mamoswine's Ice Shard. Psych Up is an interesting gimmick that can catch the likes of Quiver Dance Volcarona off guard and can be used to gain a partner's stat boosts, though keep in mind that accomplishing the former task requires heavy support from Rage Powder or Follow Me users, particularly Togekiss in this case. Choice sets with Trick can also be effective, but Latios is forced out more than is desirable when using them. Latios can attempt to utilize a speed control move in the form of Thunder Wave; however, Latios's time is better spent attacking. Finally, Latios can use a rather unconventional, yet effective offensive Calm Mind set with Follow Me support, which helps smash through the team with much more ease.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Latios's main objective is to use his powerful STABs to dismantle the opposing team and allow his other teammates to clean up after him; there is one Pokemon that completely shuts down this strategy: Jirachi. Jirachi's solid bulk, resistance to both of Latios's STABs, and access to Follow Me let it take his attacks and prevent him from touching its teammates. From there, Jirachi can strip Latios of his Speed via Icy Wind or hit him with repeated Iron Heads. Just like Jirachi, Steel-types in general tend to be good at walling Latios's conventional sets. Provided that Latios lacks Hidden Power Fire, Metagross and Escavalier can take a hit and OHKO back. Heatran is another Steel-type that can defeat Latios, though it must watch out for the rare Surf and Hidden Power Ground. Although they lack resistances to Latios's Dragon-type STABs, Tyranitar and Cresselia make excellent checks for their ability to tank Latios's attacks fairly well and destroy him with Crunch or cripple him with Thunder Wave or Ice Icy Wind, respectively. With speed control in mind, Thundurus can just barely survive one of Latios's Draco Meteors and cripple him with Prankster Thunder Wave.</p>

<p>Latios's many common weaknesses make him rather easy to revenge kill. Although none of these Pokemon can directly switch into Latios, Darkrai, Weavile, Kingdra (in the rain), and Tornadus can all outspeed and kill him fairly easily. Some Choice Scarf users worth mentioning that can revenge kill Latios include Abomasnow, Cloyster, the Kyurem formes, Genesect, and Hydreigon. Cloyster in particular can even revenge kill him behind a Substitute through the use of Icicle Spear. Lastly, Latios is quite vulnerable to priority attacks; the most notable priority users that can take him out are Mamoswine, Scizor, and Bisharp. Something to keep in mind is that Latios is incredibly dependent on his Speed to do his job, so as long as you can make use of any form of Speed control&mdash;in the form of Icy Wind, Thunder Wave, Trick Room, etc and the like&mdash;you should do well against him.</p>

Great work.
[GP 2/2]

Just one very minor thing:
just a note

the space around the / backslash only has to happen when talking about like Fighting / Psychic type Pokemon, and other Pokegrammar like the separation between base stats and EVs (252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe)

and/or shouldn't have spaces around it and other normal English uses don't need it (I can't think of any other besides and/or atm but they're out there I know)
so and/or shouldn't have spaces around the slash.

actually

252+ Atk Scrafty Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Cresselia: 174-206 (39.18 - 46.39%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

so you should edit the part about scrafty accordingly

Pocket

replaced Blaziken with a more common Fighting-type, Breloom

some damage calcs were off (Modest DGem Draco Meteor does not OHKO Bisharp / 2HKO Tyranitar; Scrafty's Crunch doesn't 2HKO; Grass Knot does not 2HKO TTar without Life Orb), so I revised those statements

HP Fire does not need to be paired with Sun - as long as it's not used on a rain team, it's a viable alternative

Replaced Escavalier with Heatran & Tyranitar as Pokemon that Infernape can dispose for Latios

Still, this was very well-written - uploaded!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)