1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Latios

Discussion in 'BW Ubers' started by TrollFreak, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]
    80 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 130 SpA / 110 SpD / 110 Spe
    (potentially useful moves are bolded)
    Level Up Moves (open)
    Start Psywave
    5 Heal Block
    10 Helping Hand
    15 Safeguard
    20 DragonBreath
    25 Protect
    30 Refresh
    35 Luster Purge
    40 Zen Headbutt
    45 Recover
    50 Psycho Shift
    55 Dragon Dance
    60 Psychic
    65 Heal Pulse
    70 Telekinesis
    75 Power Split
    80 Dragon Pulse
    85 Memento

TM and HMs (open)
    TM01- Hone Claws
    TM02- Dragon Claw
    TM03- Psyshock
    TM04- Calm Mind
    TM05- Roar
    TM06- Toxic
    TM10- Hidden Power
    TM11- Sunny Day
    TM13- Ice Beam
    TM15- Hyper Beam
    TM16- Light Screen
    TM17- Protect
    TM18- Rain Dance
    TM19- Telekinesis
    TM20- Safeguard
    TM21- Frustration
    TM22- SolarBeam
    TM24- Thunderbolt
    TM25- Thunder
    TM26- Earthquake
    TM27- Return
    TM29- Psychic
    TM30- Shadow Ball
    TM32- Double Team
    TM33- Reflect
    TM37- Sandstorm
    TM40- Aerial Ace
    TM42- Facade
    TM44- Rest
    TM45- Attract
    TM48- Round
    TM53- Energy Ball
    TM57- Charge Beam
    TM65- Shadow Claw
    TM67- Retaliate
    TM68- Giga Impact
    TM70- Flash
    TM73- Thunder Wave
    TM77- Psych Up
    TM78- Bulldoze
    TM85- Dream Eater
    TM86- Grass Knot
    TM87- Swagger
    TM90- Substitute
    HM1- Cut
    HM2- Fly
    HM3- Surf
    HM5- Waterfall
    HM6- Dive

Move Tutors (open)
    Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Helping Hand, Icy Wind, Last Resort, Magic Coat, Outrage, Roost, Sleep Talk, Snore, Tailwind, Trick, Wonder Room, Zen Headbutt

Guess who got their favorite item back! Thanks to BW2, Latios gets back Soul Dew and with it, it again becomes a Pokemon that can threaten the entire metagame. It even gains Psyshock, meaning that it can get through Pokemon such as Blissey and Chansey. Soul Dew, 130 Special Attack and 110 Special Defense(which only get better due to Soul Dew) and blistering 110 Speed, Latios, along with Latias, will leave a mark in the Ubers Metagame.

Despite his great power, Latios is not perfect. His typing afflicts him with weaknesses to common Uber attacking types such as Ghost, Dark, Dragon, and Ice-type attacks. That Dark-type weakness makes him vulnerable to Pursuit, meaning that he is easily removed by trappers such as Tyranitar. Furthermore, he has to compete with Latias often for a team slot, as his sister is usually easier to fit in a team thanks to her superior bulk.

So what sets can this dragon possibly run? Will it put Arceus-Psychic and Dragon's Calm Mind sets out of business? What impact will it have on the metagame? What roles does it fill best? What outclasses it? Are sets from gen 4 still as effective as they used to be? Will this thing suffer from 4MSS? Discuss anything you want but remember to always enjoy the discussion! (so long as they're in the Uber rules)

Sets- Well, thats why we have discussion huh?
  2. polop

polop
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Ok so Latios is cool in the sense he gets a free Specs Boost while having the ability to switch moves. This makes him become what is practically a bulky nuke, since his bulk still lets him easily tank some hits thanks to Soul Dew. I think this should be one of his viable sets.
    [​IMG]
    Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Pulse / Recover
    - Psyshock
    - Surf

You could probably run a Calm Mind set but this thing's sheer power and speed is amazing. Draco Meteor hits like a truck, having a decent chance to OHKO stuff like Support Groudon. Dragon Pulse is simply reliable STAB, and can be used to weaken stuff before you hit them with your nuke. However, its not always nessecary, and you could just run Recover to give yourself a means of Recovery (this set plays a lot like 3 Attacks + Recover Mewtwo except with better Special bulk and Special Attack). Psyshock ruins Chansey and Blissey, always 2HKOing the latter while needing Stealth Rocks to 2HKO the former. Surf serves as your move to hit steels and troll Heatran, who otherwise would be laughing at you. When boosted by soul dew its power is huge. Boasting the ability to 2HKO some versions of Tyranitar. I remember having trouble against some of these things in the Dream World Ubers ladder, until I started using gimmicky stuff like Light Screen Grassceus O.O.
  3. Garganator

Garganator

Personally I'm looking forward the most for Special Dragon Dance set (I loved in in Gen 4). It's really great cleaner/sweeper late game and this set is really strong against more offensive teams, as many popular scarfers like Palkia, Terrakion, Garchomp, etc. can't outspeed you, which makes you really hard to revenge kill without strong priority. Heck you even outspeed standard Ubers Kingdra in rain (which in most cases go with enough speed for Scarf Garchomp or Terrakion). And additional free bulk from Soul Dew allows you to find easily this valuable free turn.
  4. TrollFreak

is a Contributor Alumnus

My thread, time for me to post the set I'm using on showdown

Latios @ Soul Dew
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Recover

Kinda Like Mr.Lol's set, only with Grass Knot and HP Fire as coverage. Grass Knot helps against Kyroge, Groundon, and deals over half to Tyranitar if need be. HP Fire deals with pokes that try to come in such as Arceus-Steel or Ferrothorn. I'll add this and Mr.lol
    s set, which makes great use of Dragon Pulse for situations Draco Meteor won't help, and Psyshock for Bliss, into the OP. Be sure to keep up the discussion guys!
  5. -Sun

-Sun

Latios @ Soul Dew
    EVs: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SDef
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Fire]/ Thunder/ Grass Knot
    - Recover/ Psyshock

Since the thread hasn't filled up yet we don't need to get too creative with our sets, so pretty standard stuff for now. Some people would rather run Latias here and replace hidden power with refresh , as she is bulkier and easier to fit into most teams. However not much can match the furious power that we all know so well from last gen. The choice between the 3 coverage moves depends on your team. Hidden Power Fire takes on Steels, Thunder is murderous with rain support and Grass knot kills tyranitar/kyogre. You can replace recover with psyshock if you feel that latios can sweep or clean up without the need to recover lost health, as psyshock allows you to murder pink blobs and win CM wars.
  6. Vincent

Vincent

Thunder instead Grass Knot could be useful for both Hoh-Oh, Kyogre and Lugia, while Groudon still get smashed by Draco Meteor (not as much as with Grass Knot, but with some hazards damage it could be done).

EDIT: But yeah, Tyranitar would be troublesome.
  7. jayjinde

jayjinde

Latios is a very powerful Pokemon in Ubers partially credited to Soul Dew. The reason I'm bringing this up is because Soul Dew hasn't been released in Gen V yet. Last I checked, Smogon didn't allow items to be used if they weren't attainable in-game, which is why SubSalac sets haven't been legal to use until recently. Sorry if I didn't post anything constructive, but I figured it was still contributing to the topic.

EDIT: My fault, haven't exactly been stalking the BW2 discussion thread or played through enough to know. Thanks for that tidbit of information.
  8. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Soul dew was recently found in bw2. Go check the bw2 thread in orange islands.
  9. Donkey

Donkey

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Recover

Best set for Latios to run imo. Surf hits Scizor, mold breaker Exca, TTar, Arceus Rock, Arceus Steel, and Draco Meteor powers through walls and helps to win CM wars.
  10. TrollFreak

is a Contributor Alumnus

well, back from VGC, time to pick this up

@ Donkey, I have yet to try CM Latios, but I don't like Surf + Draco Metoer, as it means your walled by Ferro, but I do see the point of Surf, as it can get past T-Tar

Also, has anyone tried a Sub set yet? It looks interesting, with Sub+3 Attacks or SubRoost meaning that it can sub in front of Pokes like Scizor that try and trap it
  11. polop

polop
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I actually had success with a sub + 3 attacks set. The high amount of switches it causes lets it sub up with ease, and it can just fling strong attacks from there.

Anyways the set I used was;

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid (+Spe , -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power Fighting
    - Psyshock

So the idea is switch-in, sub up on the fleeing threat and 2HKO what comes in. I chose HP fighting over the others since I hate tyranitar. The other moves are STAB and 2HKO everything that not a steel after rocks (which is what hp fighting is for), sub gives you the staying power to stay in for two turns -> at least one dead mon for every successful sub
  12. EternalNewbie

EternalNewbie

Opinion seeking here; I use a toxic/recover strategy to outwall walls. Is this better than the coverage of psyshock and surf? Often I find guys using Latios, monster as he is, as a set-up opportunity.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)