Resource LC in SPL 7

madoka vs Mambo
madoka might be one of the most threatening players at the moment but i know Mambo has a few tricks up his sleeve.

ZoroDark vs Kingler12345
I guess kingler couldn't have hoped for a better opponent to start off with.

blarajan vs OP
this i cant call no matter how hard i think, they both are so evenly matched in my opinion.

Heysup vs ZoroarkForeveri really have high hopes on ZF, such high that i can bet on him to have a unbeaten run.

Star
vs fitzy72
my second favourite after ZF, he does carry the potential to do better then the rest but that will depend entirely onto him.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
madoka vs Mambo
madoka might be one of the most threatening players at the moment but i know Mambo has a few tricks up his sleeve.

ZoroDark vs Kingler12345
I guess kingler couldn't have hoped for a better opponent to start off with.

blarajan vs OP
this i cant call no matter how hard i think, they both are so evenly matched in my opinion.

Heysup vs ZoroarkForeveri really have high hopes on ZF, such high that i can bet on him to have a unbeaten run.
Star vs fitzy72
my second favourite after ZF, he does carry the potential to do better then the rest but that will depend entirely onto him.
Heysup gonna lose even after he won

So being on winter break I've been incredibly bored, so I've decided that I'm gonna be collecting usage stats for LC this SPL. Which you can view here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EijBL0UhGtsBav2rawsKwE-dLXCKSGu8eW0jiLuqKgk/edit?usp=sharing I was a dumbshit and forgot that usage stats are automatically kept by a bot and posted weekly in the SPL forum. Whoops

On top of that, I've also started up a Youtube channel, cause why not. I plan to cover every LC game this SPL and you can check out the Zf vs Heysup game here:
I also plan on covering some of LC Invitational as well as the rest of LC Tour 2015.

For those you of who may not have seen the game yet, for whatever reason, and don't want to listen to my voice, here is the normal replay since I don't think that has been posted yet http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-111853

Last edited:

GOAO

Banned deucer.
So being on winter break I've been incredibly bored, so I've decided that I'm gonna be collecting usage stats for LC this SPL. Which you can view here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EijBL0UhGtsBav2rawsKwE-dLXCKSGu8eW0jiLuqKgk/edit?usp=sharing

On top of that, I've also started up a Youtube channel, cause why not. I plan to cover every LC game this SPL and you can check out the Zf vs Heysup game here:
I also plan on covering some of LC Invitational as well as the rest of LC Tour 2015.

For those you of who may not have seen the game yet, for whatever reason, and don't want to listen to my voice, here is the normal replay since I don't think that has been posted yet http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-111853
awesome! keep up with the good work bro. gl

+fitzy: Joltage
JacobThePikachu left
+fitzy: You don't need to keep usage stats for LC in SPL
+fitzy: that is done by a bot for every tier each year
+fitzy: and posted in the spl forum

Ngl, I forgot about that. Don't I looks dumb. So disregard that portion of my previous post

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Nineage said we should analyze the matches, so I'll go ahead and try my hand at it:

heysup vs zf -
At a glance, it's pretty clear what zf's team does, when considering how Tirtouga is the only Pokemon that really fits the role of a dedicated wincon in that build. Lure in and Knock Off or KO Tirtouga's checks, and find the opportunity to set it up and sweep. The build itself is actually pretty interesting; Drilbur looks like the obvious sr + spin variant for a Sturdyjuice Tirtouga, but since Tirtouga is in fact an Eviolite variant and so doesn't particularly need hazard removal, Drilbur can instead run an unexpected coverage move (confirmed after the battle to be Poison Jab for Cottonee). Skrelp + Download Porygon forms a very effective defensive backbone that also provides a great deal of wall-breaking support, although for some reason zf brought a Trace Porygon, which could lose momentum on an otherwise fairly offensive team.
The best way to describe Heysup's team would probably be that it looks very Heysup-y. It looks like it primarily focuses on making sure any opposing Pokemon won't be doing very much, with multiple safety nets/glue Pokemon/revenge-killers in Croagunk/Fletchling/Magnemite/Onix. Staryu ensures that all of these Pokemon can do their jobs consistently, and Aipom provides some immediate offensive presence.

There isn't much to say about the battle itself, because the game did not turn out favourably at all for zf in terms of match-up; he simply did not have the means to break through Staryu. Cottonee was the only Pokemon on his team that could stand up to it, but Staryu is much easier to keep healthy than Cottonee, which often struggles from being worn down. Heysup played his advantage well throughout the match, using Staryu to wall and slowly wear out most of zf's team in a manner that zf did not have the means to respond to, eventually resulting in an easy victory for Heysup.

op vs blarajan -
Some people have commented that they felt otherwise, but I actually really like blarajan's sand team. It's a nice mix of hard-hitting potential sweepers and bulky Pokemon to fall back on; Vullaby and Magnemite double as offensive pivots to ensure that the defensive Pokemon don't slow the offensive Pokemon down. Sand in LC tends to be frowned upon as a thing of the past, now that weather is no longer permanent. However, many teams, especially offensive ones, find themselves forgoing Ground resists when they can outspeed and revenge-kill Diglett and Mold Breaker Drilbur, a trend that ORAS sand severely punishes. Although most of blarajan's damage output in Corphish and Drilbur struggles against Grass-types like Foongus, Vullaby is able to check them without much issue. Additionally, since Drilbur and Corphish share a number of checks, it allows for one to weaken these checks so that the other can clean up.
OP has brought a more traditional offensive team that, from team preview, appears to be based around the very threatening SD foo + carv core. As it turns out, Mienfoo is just a Taunt variant, although this makes sense in retrospect because the team has no other way to deter hazard stackers. The team is heavily geared towards a Carvanha sweep, with Honedge and Diglett to trap Carvanha's checks, and itemless Archen to set up rocks and generally wall-break.

In terms of match-up, both teams had their advantages. OP's only switch-in to Corphish was his Foongus, which isn't overly difficult to break through after it has been Knocked Off; in addition, he had no safe switch-ins at all if LO Drilbur got in safely. On the other hand, he did have Aqua Jet Carvanha to ensure that Drilbur would not be able to outright sweep, and blarajan's team would be in a tight spot once Carvanha managed to get in. Furthermore, OP had the means to trap Magnemite and Knock Off blarajan's Foongus, paving the way for Carvanha to clean up. I think that overall, OP had a slight advantage from how much Carvanha pressured blarajan's team.
The first decisive point in the game occurred on turn two, after OP successfully pivoted Archen in on Vullaby, when he went for the Stone Edge. Blarajan was not aware that offensive Archen commonly runs Stone Edge and elected to go for the slow U-turn, thinking he would have enough health remaining to use Roost later if Archen chose to use Rock Slide or Acrobatics. Archen's Stone Edge weakened Vullaby enough to be KOed from switching into the rocks that Archen set up the next turn. Now that blarajan's grass check was down, OP's Foongus was free to wreak havoc, with blarajan's only decent stop to it being his own Foongus. By getting Mienfoo in on Corphish's Knock Off, OP was able to force Corphish out, soon leading to blarajan's Foongus being Knocked Off. This allowed the next decisive turn to happen, when OP's Foongus's HP Fire crit blarajan's Foongus for the KO. With that, OP was able to gain a substantial lead, blarajan having to carefully play around Foongus only to be met with the still healthy hard hitters on OP's team, and OP took advantage of his lead to begin his own undefeated streak.

star vs fitzy -
Fitzy's team looks like it consists of two offensive cores that can operate independently of each other, depending on the match-up. HP Fire Carvanha (I assume it was HP Fire - I don't think HP Flying or Steel would do enough damage coming from mixcarv to be worth using; please correct me if I'm mistaken) is an unorthodox but effective lure for Ferroseed, which paves the way for Snivy to sweep, definitely a tough core to beat for slower teams. We also have a classic Timburr + Pursuit trapper core in Timburr + Honedge, with Honedge getting rid of Gothita, Abra, and to some extent Foongus and Gastly so that Timburr can sweep without issue, a combination that greatly threatens more offensive teams. Gothita has the versatility to support both of these cores, and defensive Archen is likely there to serve as a reliable Fletchling check that can also get rocks up (it doesn't look like the team needs Defog, again please correct me if this is wrong).
Star's team is based around LO Torchic and Scarf Magnemite to put immense pressure on the opposing team, not only with powerful attacks but with Baton Pass and Volt Switch, respectively. Diglett eliminates checks shared by both Torchic and Magnemite, running a Sub Aerial Ace set to mitigate an otherwise serious Snivy weakness. Archen checks Fletchling and gets rocks up, and Skrelp and Cottonee patch up holes. Toxic Spikes on Skrelp seems like it was just a filler move, but it ended up playing a very large role in this battle.

This was definitely my favourite match of the week. Both players performed fantastically as expected, but the way the unusual sets on both sides paid off really sealed the deal. At the start, it looked like the match-up was slightly in Star's favour. The amount of pressure Star could put with his Magnemite on a team without any Electric immunities was offset by how threatening Snivy could be if fitzy played around around Torchic. However, Torchic, which looked to be LO by the lack of recipients on Star's team, was also a nuisance, considering that Berry Juice Archen would not be able to switch in on a powerful Fire Blast repeatedly. When a surprise U-turn from Star's Archen on the incoming Honedge got Torchic in safely, though, fitzy revealed that his Archen was a defensive variant - certainly able to check Torchic throughout the match. Torchic then passed to Skrelp, and fitzy was forced to sack Honedge to get Gothita in safely to trap Skrelp. This gave Star the opportunity to get Toxic Spikes up - seemingly a questionable move at the time, as it would give fitzy's Timburr a Guts boost. But when Snivy came in on Diglett, it became clear what Toxic Spikes was for - it allowed Diglett, which was an unusual Sub + Aerial Ace variant, to actually win against a normally solid check in Snivy, by subbing four times to let poison bring Snivy into Aerial Ace range. It turns out that Toxic Spikes was unnecessary for this situation, because fitzy going for the glare on what would have been an obvious switch to Torchic or Cottonee in every other scenario allowed Diglett a free sub. But fitzy wasn't out of the game just yet! When Star decided to save his Diglett upon being faced with Carvanha, fitzy revealed HP Fire, promptly 2HKOing the Cottonee switch in. This is the part where Toxic Spikes got the chance to shine, which is especially notable because it is almost never seen in high level LC play due to level 5 rolls. First, Star ensured that Timburr would not be given the chance to heal back the damage taken from poison with Drain Punch, wearing it down so that fitzy was forced to sack it to attempt a Carvanha sweep. He then stalled out Carvanha through LO recoil and poison damage for a thoroughly deserved victory.

kingler vs zorodark -
Kingler's team is similar to tazz's rmt (to be honest, I didn't catch the similarity myself; kingmidas did), widely considered to be one of the strongest teams of ORAS in how solidly built and consistent it is. The idea is simply to use a bunch of consistently effective Pokemon to wear the opponent down, paving the way for a Corphish sweep. Kingler has decided to use Diglett over Gothita as his trapper, which makes it harder to trap Ferroseed, Fighting-types, Chinchou and birds, in exchange for better dealing with Steel-types and Fire-types, as well as more general utility. Zorodark has brought an offensive team that can rely on either Shelldig or Fletchdig to sweep, plus Staryu to get rid of the rocks that hamper Fletchling and Sash Diglett, and Mienfoo and Pawniard to provide the Knock Off support that both Fletchling and Shellder appreciate.

I think that kingler had a noticeable match-up advantage here. He had multiple countermeasures for everything on zorodark's team, including Fletchling and Shellder, most of which could get around Diglett, especially a weak Sash variant. On the other hand, zorodark lacked good switch-ins to Kingler's Mienfoo and Corphish. Kingler took advantage of this, bringing Corphish in on Fletchling's predicted Overheat and quickly taking out Staryu. A few turns later, zorodark attempted to trap Snubbull with Diglett, which turned out poorly for him, as Snubbull was running more Defense EVs than he had expected, furthering kingler's advantage. A critical hit from Snubbull's Play Rough on zorodark's Pawniard (I think it was scarf Pawniard from that roll? Maybe it was bj or LO) just about ensured kingler's victory. But then, kingler, who had been playing quite well up to now, decided to sack his Snubbull, even though it would have been helpful against zorodark's Mienfoo. This nearly cost kingler the game, when zorodark's Mienfoo's High Jump Kick crit kingler's Mienfoo, and then kingler lost a coinflip with his Corphish. However, zorodark's Mienfoo missed HJK on the last turn and KOed itself, granting kingler the win anyways.

mambo vs madoka -
Madoka's team is straight-forward bird spam hyper offense, built around a core of Doduo + Fletchling. This combination is often shafted aside nowadays when discussing bird cores, most notably in favour of Drifloon + Fletchling, which madoka herself is better known for using; with that being said, it is still very threatening, with Doduo using Knock Off and a powerful Brave Bird to take out checks so that Fletchling can sweep. Drilbur is an obvious partner for most birdspam teams thanks to its hazard control and good type synergy. Honedge, Abra, and Ponyta soft check various threats that force the frail birdspam core out. Croagunk initially appears to be a standard mixgunk variant to check bothersome Shell Smashers more reliably, but it is in fact a Bulk Up variant to serve as a back-up wincon, which leads me to believe that the Fletchling is running HP Grass.
Mambo's team looks like a mishmash of mostly viable Pokemon plus Wynaut that happen to have a good match-up against many of the Pokemon madoka tends to use, in particular Fighting-type set-up sweepers, Scarf Electric-types, trappers, and Drifloon. It is surprisingly solid when taking into account its use of otherwise mediocre sets, aiming to set up a Corphish sweep, with Amaura as a Stealth Rock setter and the two trappers to remove Corphish's checks. Croagunk and Cottonee act as all-purpose glue Pokemon so that the team isn't shut down by any one strategy. It seems like a good deal of the team's strength stems from its surprise value - nobody expects Wynaut, or assumes that Amaura is an Eviolite Stealth Rock variant.

Madoka is normally known for building incredibly solid teams, able to break even or go positive against just about the entire metagame. Something must have gone quite wrong for her in this particular match. It was already clear from team preview how lopsided the match-up was, and Mambo took advantage of this flawlessly. Madoka only had one switch-in to Corphish, her Croagunk, which was problematic because Mambo had not one, but two ways to trap the Croagunk, easily giving Corphish the opportunity to sweep.
Despite this, the game was very entertaining to watch, in part thanks to Mambo's somewhat odd yet effective team, and in part due to the sheer ridiculousness of arguably LC's strongest player getting dropped by LC's funny joke poster. Madoka absolutely needed rocks up right from the start of the match to have any sort of chance and led with Drilbur accordingly, which Mambo exploited with his Corphish lead; now she couldn't even switch to Croagunk, for fear it would get trapped if Mambo doubled. Since Croagunk was madoka's only Corphish switch-in, she was forced to reveal its physical set on turn two, which let Mambo knowing he could directly switch his Wynaut in later on. With Croagunk gone, madoka's only hope was to weaken Amaura enough for Fletchling to break past, and an opportunity seemed to present itself when she got her Pursuit Honedge in on the Amaura - until Mambo revealed that it was Eviolite Amaura and set up rocks, eliminating the possibility of a Fletchling sweep as well. The game was as good as over at that point, with Amaura and Diglett cleaning the remainder of madoka's team to conclude Mambo's upset victory.

I have seen people speculating that this loss may be enough to cause madoka to tilt for the rest of the season. I have reasons to believe that this will not be the case (for example, perhaps she just isn't used to the SPL experience yet), but of course, I am not madoka, so I do not know exactly how she will take the loss. I would nevertheless like to point out that madoka is, frankly, so far ahead of the majority of her competition in terms of raw ORAS LCing ability that even if she does tilt, she would still probably end up doing well.

This is just how I personally viewed the matches, so feel free to disagree. It would also be nice for the players to let me know if I was mistaken anywhere when trying to describe your teams/plays. I think that for the most part, the games were very well done - they were certainly all a ton of fun to watch! Looking forward to spectating next week :toast:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REPOSTED FROM SPL THREAD

LAST WEEK SCORE: 5-0
BERKELEY SCORE: 5-0

ZoroDark vs Mambo

Even though ZoroDark is coming off of what should've been a win last week (fuck HJK amiright) this predict doesn't seem too hard. Mambo is simply a very good LC player. ZD isn't without merits in this matchup, however. For one thing, he played better than I think most people expected him to stepping into a somewhat unfamiliar tier, and I know I was pretty happy about that. On the other hand, because he's relatively inexperienced in the tier, it might be harder for Mambo to put in his trademark preparation for this match. Regardless, I think metagame experience comes into play, and Mambo takes it for the Wolfpack.

OP vs Heysup

This looks like a highlight match, and it's one we haven't exactly seen recently! OP and Heysup are both incredibly good LC players, but as OP drafted Heysup to his LCPL team we've been missing out on high quality matches, at least in the public eye. I'm sure the two have tested together often, so this matchup will probably come down to experience, where Heysup will take it. On the other hand, OP could surprise and actually prepare for Onix / Honedge / Geodude / Aipom, but Heysup could see that coming and CT the CT ... and so on. Heysup takes this one, but only barely.

blarajan vs Kingler12345

This one isn't too tough at all, to be frank. Kingler did not play well in last week's match, and blarajan is a pretty consistent set. As long as blarajan doesn't bring something like manual rain, he should take this one without too much trouble.

Star. vs ZoroarkForever

Star has been doing pretty well as of late, and from ZF's Week One performance it's apparent that he's at least a little rusty. ZF has the motive to bounce back in this match, obviously, but I don't think he'll be able to topple Star.

fitzy72 vs mad0ka

mad0ka got beat last week, but since it wasn't a haxxxxxxy match she's not gonna go full-on tilt at all. Instead, the Most Winningest LC Circuit Tourney Player™ will find a way to win against fitzy; however, fitzy looked pretty solid despite a loss last week, so he's got a fighting chance. This will likely end up as one of the funnest matches to watch this week, especially with the hax potential d0ka always carries ...

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-premier-league-7-week-2.3561373/page-3#post-6614578

ORAS LC: ZoroDark vs Mambo - So, as shown last week, Mambo can prepare for games really well when he tries. After his performance last week vs Madoka, I'm sure he can get the better of zoro

ORAS LC: OP vs Heysup - This is such a good match, and one I find hard to predict. Both don't change their teams up that often, but both are highly skilled. I'm going for heysup because I think he has a bit more team variety and can bring something which will do well against OP's diglett squads. Could go either way though

ORAS LC: blarajan vs Kingler12345 - Kingler choked last week and then got a bit lucky. He did well being in control thoughout the match until the end. blarajan will be much tougher this week, and although I don't expect Kingler to choke again after last week, blarajan will win this

ORAS LC: Star. vs ZoroarkForever - ZF will have a point to prove after last week, so I expect him to up his game this week

ORAS LC: fitzy72 vs mad0ka - I just can't see fitzy winning this, and madoka's gonna try extra hard after losing to mambo. Madoka's teams just always seem better than anything fitzy brings

ORAS LC: ZoroDark vs Mambo

ORAS LC: OP vs Heysup

ORAS LC: blarajan vs Kingler12345

ORAS LC: Star. vs ZoroarkForever

Something to note about Me vs Madoka is that we play tomorrow in a BO3 for the LC Championship (fuck building more than 1 new team so i'll be using old squads) as well so look forward to a possible 4 games between us this week.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ORAS LC: ZoroDark vs Mambo - Mambo showed last week that he can compete with the best and prepare just as hard as anyone when he needs to. Zorodark shouldn't be an issue.

ORAS LC: OP vs Heysup - a tough match for sure, you have the most consistent LC player vs widely regarded to be one of the top LC players of all time. I'm giving OP the match bc I think he can put more variance in his team to beat Heysup, plus he's cute, but this is for sure the HL match.

ORAS LC: blarajan vs Kingler12345 - Kingler choked last week and then got a bit lucky. He did well being in control thoughout the match until the end. blarajan will be much tougher this week, and although I don't expect Kingler to choke again after last week, blarajan will win this (taking what Rowan said bc I agree with him)

ORAS LC: Star. vs ZoroarkForever - okay so ZF is a great player but Star has been on top of his shit lately, and his win last week is giving him solid momentum moving forward. I think he's got this one.

ORAS LC: fitzy72 vs mad0ka -
mad0ka's solid, and even after last week's loss, I think she's got this one. it's not out of the question, however. Fitzy is an excellent player and if pulls out all the stops, he's got a shot for sure.

Mambo has uploaded some of the games from SPL on his yt (don't have the link on hand ATM). Also, dig was the most used mon at 50% of all games (even more than mienfoo, which came in second at 40%), ban y/n

As for predicts:
Mambo; although Zorodark is a fairly underrated LCer by the community, Mambo played very well last week.
(op/heysup) I feel like both are kinda similar in that they bring similar stuff but are solid af, can't really predict here
(doka/fitzy) both are kinda equally matched but I guess i'd give this to doka

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mambo has uploaded some of the games from SPL on his yt (don't have the link on hand ATM). Also, dig was the most used mon at 50% of all games (even more than mienfoo, which came in second at 40%), ban y/n

As for predicts:
Mambo; although Zorodark is a fairly underrated LCer by the community, Mambo played very well last week.
(op/heysup) I feel like both are kinda similar in that they bring similar stuff but are solid af, can't really predict here
(doka/fitzy) both are kinda equally matched but I guess i'd give this to doka
Don't worry Kingler12345, friend, I have the link! Help support everyone's favorite LC commentator! Plus, GOAO makes periodic cameos in my videos!

Also, Joltage has been doing a great job of narrating games (more frequently than myself) so check out his channel as well if you haven't already.

Hm joltage I feel as though you could offer a more detailed analysis because from the game I saw (mine) you approximated calcs mentally (which normally is fine, but leads to inaccurate judgement). Tbh there wasnt really much to the game but, for example, 0 atk hjk never kills mienfoo from that HP (though I guess you know that from reading the thread).

GOAO <3

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ORAS LC: Kingler12345 vs OP - OP got matchup'd pretty hard by Heysup last week, but Kingler's teams are more standard and therefore easier to take advantage of, so I'm betting on OP if he prepares well.

ORAS LC: Star. vs Mambo - Really looking forward to this match, I'm going with Mambo as he's impressed me so far this SPL. He'll do his homework and build another decent team with a few tricks up his sleeve.

ORAS LC: fitzy72 vs ZoroarkForever - He's gone 0-2, so I reckon fitzy's gonna try extra hard this week, and zf isn't as tough an opponent as starmaster or madoka.

ORAS LC: Heysup vs mad0ka - arguably the best 2 LCers. It's a close one and could go either way, just gonna guess mad0ka.

ORAS LC: blarajan vs ZoroDark - both 0-2, I predict blara will up his game this week, and get the win

question why is everyone using drifloon this spl?

ORAS LC: Kingler12345 vs OP - OP got matchup'd pretty hard by Heysup last week, but Kingler's teams are more standard and therefore easier to take advantage of, so I'm betting on OP if he prepares well.

ORAS LC: Star. vs Mambo - Really looking forward to this match, I'm going with Mambo as he's impressed me so far this SPL. He'll do his homework and build another decent team with a few tricks up his sleeve.

ORAS LC: fitzy72 vs ZoroarkForever - He's gone 0-2, so I reckon fitzy's gonna try extra hard this week, and zf isn't as tough an opponent as starmaster or madoka.

ORAS LC: Heysup vs mad0ka - arguably the best 2 LCers. It's a close one and could go either way, just gonna guess mad0ka.

ORAS LC: blarajan vs ZoroDark - both 0-2, I predict blara will up his game this week, and get the win

question why is everyone using drifloon this spl?
1) fk u have faith breh
2) in what universe is Snivy + Pawn (and a spinner) vs Webs is a bad matchup \_0_/ ?
3) ghost that beats most standard knock off users (and can recycle stall out 80% of the metagame) is amzing

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[18:19:43] @Mambo: H&MBerkeley
[18:19:48] @Mambo: where are your predictions for this week

LAST WEEK SCORE: 3-2
BERKELEY SCORE: 8-2

Kingler12345 vs OP

Though Kingler# played notably better this last week in the Battle for India, OP is simply playing very well. He'll have a little bit of a something to prove after falling in his very entertaining and Sewaddle-having match against Heysup last week. OP is a consistent battler and it really does take some incredibly good play to bring him down, and I'm not sure Kingler# will be at that level this week.

Star. vs Mambo

Just gonna say it right out, Mambo's on fire so far. He's two good wins into SPL and it doesn't look like he'll be stopping soon. To be fair, Star's been doing well too, and his match last week was pretty unfortunate. Mambo's preparation aspect has already been beaten to death just two weeks into predictions, but it really does make a huge difference in his matches. That being said, is it possible Star can prepare for Mambo's preparation? Could Mambo then prepare for Star's preparation preparation? Or will the match actually come down to skill??

fitzy72 vs ZoroarkForever

Imma put it frankly, ZF has not been playing to impress. His win against Star last week looked pretty clunky and overall he seems to be taking his time getting into the season. However, I think this week is the week he finally starts cranking out some solid af wins. fitzy has been doing alright (and about as well as ZF to boot) but I really think ZF is gonna turn it on this week.

Heysup vs mad0ka

This is the matchup everyone wants to see this week, and for good reason. This is a matchup between two very top ORAS LCers, and what's even nicer, both are about equally apt to be haxxxxed to death! Heysup, however, has been playing well, both this season and since about the year 400 AD, when he first started playing Pokemon competitively. Also, its worth noting that Onix beats Drifloon ...

blarajan vs ZoroDark

It's very difficult to predict against blarajan, known for his legendary season the last time LC was in SPL. Unfortunately, he's not had a very good set of opening games, and his hopes of a repeat are already dashed to pieces. Fortunately, however, blarajan finds himself up against ZoroDark, a fellow 0-2 player. Though I personally believe that people (myself included) have been underestimating ZoroDark, blarajan truly has something to play for this week. He can't go looking washed up for too long, can he?

Rowan

The professor?
1) fk u have faith breh
2) in what universe is Snivy + Pawn (and a spinner) vs Webs is a bad matchup \_0_/ ?
3) ghost that beats most standard knock off users (and can recycle stall out 80% of the metagame) is amzing
1) have faith in what?
2) he had nothing for drifloon, drilbur had no way of spinning past drifloon thanks to wisp, snivy couldn't break through drifloon at all, pawniard could be a counter, but would get burnt, nullifying the +2, and allowing mienfoo can easily counter it. Pawniard had no way to switch in safely. I'll give you credit where credit is due, it was a well built webs team that could nullify the issues that webs usually faces. jw, why did you go for sewaddle? i've always seen it as inferior to surksit and spinarak but i'm guessing you have your reasons
3) yeah it has really been pulling its weight in most games, i am slightly surprised it's being discovered as a seriously strong metagame threat recently

1) have faith in what?
2) he had nothing for drifloon, drilbur had no way of spinning past drifloon thanks to wisp, snivy couldn't break through drifloon at all, pawniard could be a counter, but would get burnt, nullifying the +2, and allowing mienfoo can easily counter it. Pawniard had no way to switch in safely. I'll give you credit where credit is due, it was a well built webs team that could nullify the issues that webs usually faces. jw, why did you go for sewaddle? i've always seen it as inferior to surksit and spinarak but i'm guessing you have your reasons
3) yeah it has really been pulling its weight in most games, i am slightly surprised it's being discovered as a seriously strong metagame threat recently
1) me :(
2) Pawn at +2 (webs) breaks floon, Snivy can easily break floon but i predicted / played well for 90% of the plays and got lucky and got crit on the HP when OP outpredicted me. Any of those times if I predicted wrong I would have gotten 6-0'd straight up by HP Fire Snivy (much more common to be Ground or Flying which i do far better against). I think generally Webs has a shit load of trouble against Pawn and Snivy and it also transformed Elekid into an excellent Pivot against Drifloon as slow volt-switches are arguably the best counter to it behind boosted Pawn. But I kinda needed webs otherwise I'd have been outsped by Elekid and that would have been lots of trouble once Chinch dropped....I was considering not even putting Webs down because of that detriment though.

Sewaddle works as a pivot against some Snivy (not HP Flying (or Fire) but Pawn is supposed to wall the Flying variants) and most common Fighting-types since it has both bulk (unlike surskit) and Baton Pass. It can Calm Mind and Giga/Baton Pass if there was ever an opportunity but it's primary purpose is to be a pivot as well as beat Drilburr / Staryu (unlike Surskit).

Last edited:

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
i will agree with heyup in his assessment on drilfoon and, cue the sirens, it's the best ghost right now. the recycle set successfully stalls out most of the meta, and any range of its coverage / support moves can fuck a team up in multiple ways. it's such a shit mon but such a good mon i hate it.

Regarding some stuff in my match:
The archen was a roll but it was in his favour so w/e i guess lol.
I memento'd on slowpoke because I knew mambo might run some wacky stuff; he had a Croagunk and a Fletchling for fighters so he could very well be TR (which would probably sweep me at that point if life orb or something). rocks wouldn't do that much anyway. (mambo said he originally had TR n_n)
The Leaf Storm miss probably mattered more than the shadow ball crit; I could go to gastly on gunk since knocking off would be wayyyy more riskier for him in that scenario, then DBond.

this isn't to take away from mambo's win or whatever, you played well and deserved it, but it's annoying when people who didn't understand your plays shit on you lol

mad0ka

華々しい
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I'm gonna make a post ranking top 3 ppl who signed up for LC so you can know who to look out for, or just ignore this if you want!
1. Corporal Levi
Levi really knows the metagame and is a good player as well. I often play vs him, and not only is he great at identifying possible team flaws, he's very nice too. He'd be great in a team environment, both as a team tester and a main LCer. Definitely someone I'd want to pick up.
2. Celestavian
Celestavian (aka Hawkstar) is a pretty old LCer, with definite consistency and solid playing ability. He hasn't been playing much LC lately as he's been focused on VGC, but I know that he's started on getting back into the meta, and, for Hawk, this shouldn't be hard considering he's an A+ player. I've never tested much with him, so I can't vouch for his helpfulness in a team tour setting like I can with Levi, but nevertheless he's a very nice person and would be nice to have around in IRC.
3. Apt-Get
I think the reason Apt-Get didn't get drafted for main drafts is because most of us thought he had quit. He's another semi old LCer with solid metagame knowledge and playing ability. Kinda like Hawkstar except more meme-y and doesn't have a Timburr fetish. I've played with him a bit more than I have with Hawk, so I can say that he's also very useful for helping test in general as well, but the reason that he's ranked lower than Hawk on this list is that I think Hawkstar is a slightly better teambuilder. However, Apt-Get's innovation brings him up very close to Hawkstar, only just missing the mark. Both are very solid.

Another player I wanted to include was Alice Kazumi. She's pretty quiet and known within the community as a ladder hero, but given the opportunity, I do believe she could prove herself and if not this season definitely the next because by then she'll have matured as a player even more.

Finally, #teamconfide. Good player and amazing luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)