1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

LC Sand (peaked #1)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Axisotaku, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Axisotaku

Axisotaku

My first rate my team. I decided to give it a shot if I ever peaked first:
    [​IMG]
    (might not be visible with decay or something) Since I did here I go. I made this team a few months ago using this awesome guide http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455835 and stuck with it the whole time making very few changes. So here is the team:
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This kind of team is used to set up hazards and weak down the opponents until Drilbur and Magnemite can take out the rest.

[​IMG]
    Hippopotas @ Eviolite
    Trait: Sand Stream
    Level: 5
    EVs: 52 HP / 100 Atk / 212 Def / 100 SAtk / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off / Rock Slide
    - Roar / Rock Slide

Obviously, this guy is needed for the sand. The set is quite standard, I setup rocks whenever I can and EQ can deal an absurd amount of damage to Pokes who doesn't resist it. Roar to get rid of subsitute, rack up more hazards damage and/or prevent setups on him. Slack Off isn't used that often since a lot of pokes in the meta can take him out quite easily with special attacks. Rock Slide is an alternative that I haven't tried out but since Snovers can switch in anytime on this guy it can be used to surprise the hell out of him, it is also good vs Natu. Almost all water and grass types are a threat to him and that's why we have Ferroseed, he is almost always a safe switch to Pokemons that can kill this tank.

[​IMG]
    Drilbur @ Eviolite
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Shadow Claw

The deadly Drilbur, once you get the hang of it he will wreck teams on his own. I started out using X-scisors or him but quickly changed it to Shadow Claw as Misdreavus is much more common than grass types that could possibly wall him like Shroomish. I usually never get this gut out too early cause a lot of things can cause him problems if they are not low enough and that is even at +2 namely Koffing, Bronzor, Lileep, Hippopotas, Ferroseed just to name a few. I rarely go for an early SD because of those pokemons and will try to deal some damage and then switch to safety.
    [​IMG]
    Frillish @ Eviolite
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 196 Def / 236 SDef / 76 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Recover
    - Scald
    - Shadow Ball
    - Toxic / Will-o-Wisp

Frillish is my spin blocker and he will gladly take on a water attack anytime. Hes my safest switch in versus most fire types even if they usually carry a strong electric move since he can sometimes take it with its strong bulk and counter attack. He is also a safe switch to Mienfoo since even if they carry payback you are slower than him so it doesn't hurt that much. I used to run Will-o-Wisp but I changed it to Toxic since it helps so much more against Porygon, Chinchou and Lileep.

[​IMG]
    Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 240 Spd / 240 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt

I love this guy, he hit so hard and he reach 21 speed with scarf making him out speed the non-boosted meta-game, He is normally my lead if the enemy team doesn't have anything that is immune to lightning. He can 2hko so many things with flash cannon like Hippopotas or Lileep or Mienfoo. He can trap that annoying Feroseed and depending on its bulk 1 or 2hko with hp fire (its best if hes under 86% so hp fire is a sure kill). He does have his fair share of counters that you have to watch out for: the main ones are Porygon and Chinchou, Porygon wont let him get away, Magnemite is just a free kill for him (unless you can volt-switch out) and Chinchou laughs at everything he has. Here are some other threats that can annoy him: Numel with his annoying typing, Drilbur is faster in sand (or if at full health not in sand or mold breaker he can take 1 flash cannon, same with Hippopotas), Dwebble can survive flash cannon and can counter with EQ or SS and then EQ, Scarfed Mienfoo is faster and Timburr with Mach Punch.
    [​IMG]
    Vullaby @ Eviolite
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 236 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Knock Off / Toxic / U-Turn
    - Whirlwind / Toxic / U-Turn

The bulky Murkrow, he can take care of a lot of stuff especially them fighting types. I used to have a bit more special def and less speed but after losing a match cause I got out sped by something at 14 speed when I had 13 I decided to invest a bit more into speed, he doesn't take the special attacks as well but I am much more safe knowing I can out speed stuff that I should out speed. He is a good counter to Abra, just knock off can almost 2hko the frail guy. His brave bird hits like a truck even with no atk investment. He can live stone edge and ohko Mienfoo, live +1 ice punch and ohko Scraggy and 2hko Timburr with 1 bulk up. He also deal very well with most grass types like Shroomish or Foongus, just watch out for the spore. Knock Off is very useful when I predict a switch to get rid of an eviolite and that can ease the late game sweep of Drilbur. Whirlwind is to prevent setup,sub and more hazard dmg. I rarely use Whirlwind but it did help me a few times. Other options are available like toxic or U-Turn to keep the momentum.

[​IMG]
    Ferroseed @ Eviolite
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 164 HP / 108 Def / 228 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave

I tried both him and Lileep (although Lileep not that much) but I think I like having the spikes and t-wave more than not getting killed by hp fire, I might try him again but this is the guy I used for the time being. Both him and Magnemite are such magnets they attract all these fighting and fire attacks but it can be used against them with good prediction. The set is very basic, if you wonder why Bullet Seed over seed bomb well its simple Bullet Seed can get rid of Substitute (rarely but it can), and since he doesn't do much damage it can end up doing 5 times 1 dmg instead of 1 time 1 or 2 dmg (on stuff like Bronzor or other bulky stuff). I try to get as many spikes as I can but sometimes it's better to cripple something with T-Wave like a Ponyta that's going to switch in. He has many enemies but he has lots of friends to help him out. Hes a good counter to Porygon and Bronzor since they usually don't carry hp fire, he can kill Staryu with 3 hits of bullet seed if he wants to spin. He can also do okay vs Murkrow(even though Magnemite is my go to vs him) if he doesn't have heatwave or if you catch him with t-wave on the switch he cant kill him but with iron bark it can get him low enough so that he has to recover and that can provide a switch to something and bullet seed can break the sub with some luck if its the only option.

Special note for major threats:
    [​IMG]
    Timburr can destroy the whole team if I'm not careful, He usually comes in on Ferroseed so I never almost T-wave with him if Timburr is on the other team unless its the only way I can win is with para hax, payback can ohko Frillish if hes paralyzed and has +1, he can live Vullaby's brave bird and heal up with drain punch, the best way to deal with him is either to predict the switch or to sacrifice Frillish to weaken him(cause he cant heal with drain punch) and then revenge kill with Vullaby or Drilbur.

[​IMG]
    Scraggy can be a real problem just like Timburr if I'm not careful, just like Timburr he switch in on Ferro and can take the t-wave because of shed skin then setup and destroy. If hes in front on my Ferro, sometimes I have no choice but to t-wave on his setup and hope that shed skin doesn't activate or if its early in the game I can switch to Vullaby as he setup, live the +1dd ice punch and counter with brave bird. With him I can't do like Timburr and weaken him with Frillish since he could DD a second time and live whatever Frillish throws at him (or cure burn/toxic) and then crunch. I rarely see the bulk up variant due to Scraggy's low speed and cause Mienfoo is almost everywhere but the idea is kinda the same, If I don't let him get +2 or if he does and I can death father something that wont make him heal much with drain punch I can revenge cause hes slow.

[​IMG]
    No hazards ''You Mad Bro?''. This guy is just annoying as hell, he wont let you setup your hazard and will keep the momentum with sub/u-turn, can heal with roost and stall with toxic hes just a pain to deal with. Magnemite and Drilbur are my best friends vs him but he is usually paired with something that take care of Magnemite, so I have to take out the Magnemite counters and then I can somewhat deal with this thing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ok these two especially paired with each other are a complete brick wall that is very hard to break trough. Snover is a pain to any sand team and Magnemite is my best way to deal with and Chinchou is the ultimate counter to Magnemite. Chinchou alone even without Snover can counter everything but Drilbur in sand and Snover fixes that. So what I try to do is setup hazards when I can and hope that Chinchou doesn't have hp Fire (if he does then it becomes even harder) cause if he doesn't Ferro becomes a safe switch even if he keep momentum with Volt-Switch. Chinchou has a lot of different sets and can be more difficult to predict than Snover, who is almost always Scarfed and will spam Blizzard like no tomorrow. Even without Hp fire he is still a threat to the rest of my team:I have seen Hippopotas live a surf but not a hydro pump, Frillish and Vullaby cant do a thing unless the Chinchou switched in on their attacks (hopefully it was toxic or knock off), Ferroseed can live one hp fire if he was at full hp. So it only thing you can do to reliably threaten Chinchou is with sand Drilbur.

With good prediction these counters can be dealt with but it never is an easy thing to do. The only other thing to watch out for is Shell Smash users when not careful they can be deadly but Ferro, Drilbur and Magnemite + sand (if sturdy) are good checks.
  2. Raseri

Raseri musharna fan
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Leader

Hey Axisotaku. This is a really good sand team. It drifts away from standard sand offense, the bulky core you have is really effective. I particularly like the use of Frillish, it does a lot for your team.

Your weakness to Fighting-types, particularly Timburr, is quite severe and really weakens this team as a whole, as it is quite common.

It actually isn't that hard of a fix, it would just be a change to the Vullaby set you are currently running. I know you said that the speed that you put on Vullaby was important, but if you were to change some of it to defense you would have a much easier time with Fighting-types, as you could easily tank their hits and respond with Brave Bird.

I believe that the following set would help your team out:

Vullaby @ Eviolite
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 76 SDef / 36 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    - Whirlwind / Knock Off

advantages of this set:
    • Much more physical bulk to take on Fighting-types that plague your team
    • Can stop Timburr much easier with Taunt
    • its even specially bulkier due to the HP investment!
    • It is a good switch in against Natu, due to psychic immunity, but don't expect it to stay in

it will really come down to preference, the extra speed might be more important to you, but this should really help against those Fighting-types. Otherwise, I have very little to say as this is a very good team. Best of luck!!

tl;dr (open)

Bulkier Vullaby > Speedy Vullaby
  3. Axisotaku

Axisotaku

Hmmm sounds like a valid option I'll test it out. The other advantage to have more speed though is that you can recover first and reduce the damage of his flying weaknesses.
  4. Skittle

Skittle

I had to play against your team with my alt while laddering (You beat me), and I have to say, its vary hard to take down. I found the Vullaby to be really good, and your Scarfed Magnemite was tough too. I don't see much you have to change to be honest, I agree with Raseri above that the Vullaby with more bulk would help your weakness to Fighting-types, which could help your team a ton. All in all, I do like the use of all the pokes on the team, though trust me, it's not exactly a fun team to face... :P

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)