LC Teambuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What NOT to use (Defensive)

Pineco @ Eviolite
impish | Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Atk / 196 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Payback
-Bug Bite

Seriously, Pineco sucks. Dwebble outclasses it 100% as a hazard setter, Shelmet has reliable recovery, Spikes and Acid Armor.
"Yeah, but Pineco gets Rapid Spin too!" True, but if the opponent has Misdreavus or Frillish, it can literally do nothing.
"Yeah, but Pineco can set up Toxic Spikes!" Okay, this one is a slight advantage but Omanyte and Tentacool both do this better due to not being sitting ducks (Maybe Tentacool). Not to mention the presence of Croagunk, Foongus and Stunky rendering this useless.
Pineco seems good on paper, but so many things can come in and threaten it. Misdreavus sets up easily, Scraggy sets up easily, Pawniard sets up easily, Axew sets up easily, Shell Smashers set up easily, Drilbur sets... yeah you get my point.

Yep thanks you Gengan and SpecsX i will edit the op when i get back from school on clamperl however i would have substitute slashed with protect and hp grass will be in there somewhere i will also add Corkscrews Pineco

What not to use

Exeqqcute @ Oran Berry
Timid-Harvest
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Atk / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
-Sleep Powder
-Substitute
-Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
-Psychic

After seeing this run multiple times today I decided to post why it's a pretty bad poke in this Meta. It's my first post since DPP so I hope this commentary is decent.

One word: Mienfoo

Seriously, this set is checked so hard by Mienfoo the most common pokemon in the tier it's ridiculous. Eviolite Mienfoo isn't OHKO'd by any of Exeqqcute's moves and Mienfoo outspeeds and OHKO's back with U-Turn. This is simply horrible, as no matter if you switch or stay in the other team gains a huge advantage in momentum. The only think going for this set is Sleep Powder though due to it's inaccuracy and the fact that Foongus is a better sleep inducer, Exeqqcute has almost no place in the current metagame.

Thanks for the post ratxt1 yeah i have seen alot of exeqqgute and they are completly outclassed by other bulky grass-types like Foongus and Shroomish i will add in the set soon. Congrats on your first post in over a year btw :)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I disagree with putting Exeggcute in Things Not to Use. The role of Exeggcute is to serve as a solid counter to Water-types, most notably Staryu and Chinchou. Furthermore, Mienfoo actually has no way of countering Exeggcute. It loses if it switches in on any move (except Giga Drain). Furthermore, if Substitute is used, Mienfoo has to switch out with U-turn or risk taking a Psychic for ~80%. Saying that having to switch out of a Mienfoo U-turn causes a large momentum shift is a teambuilding issue, not a problem with Exeggcute itself. Exeggcute should be moved into Things to Use.

hmm they are some good points iss me having little experience with using Exeggcute i can't really judge it except when i battle with it. That is a good point because Staryu's and Chinchou's often have water and electric as there only coverage moves. So i guess i will add it in but i can't be bothered typing up the set and descriptio today so i will do it tommorow. Feel free to discuss Exeggute in the meant time if you have any quiries

hmm I must have played some bad exeggcutes than.

I was considering a Mienfoo with no damage on it which was a mistake (I think Leaf Storm does actually KO with stealth rocks and if he sub stalls with sandstorm/hail that could put him in KO range as well). The reason I brought up Mienfoo is he is a poke that seems like Exeggcute should take on pretty easy. He is weak to psychic, his stab is resisted by Exeggcute, and he doesn't like Sleep Powder. I was amazed though, that in all my games against him, Mienfoo easily came in and pretty much made them waste a team slot.

On second analysis I see that Leaf storm will take a decent chunk out of most of the metagame. Coming in on say chinchou he cann either set up a sub use sleep powder or blast off a strong STAB attack. Psychic than Leafstorm / Psychic I'm guessing 2HKOs most of the metagame so stuff below 15 speed do not like coming in on him. With harvest he becomes extremly hard to kill, as unless you OHKO him he is 50% of the time gaining almost all of it back. That being said there are other pokes besides mienfoo that can come in and threaten the OHKO Missy is a good example. I think the best think going for him is the fact that the stuff that can come in on his Leaf Storm do not like Sleep Powder and vice versa. Meaning he can be very dangerous behind a sub

All in all, his STAB 140 Leaf Storm, plus the ability to put pokes asleep, makes him a decent water type check. However Sleep Powder's inaccuracy, and the fact that most of the top threats of the metagame can come in on at least one of his moves and OHKO him. So he's going to take good prediction to play him well.

The thing with Exeggcute is that you're not using him in a vacuum. He's a great check to various Pokemon, as we've mentioned, but he's also super annoying. If you let him set up a Substitute you're almost certainly going to get slept (barring a miss) and then he can just keep spamming Substitute until you miss again or if you're faster just until your Life Orb, Toxic Spikes, etc nibble at your HP into KO range. Exeggcute + any Fire-type yields pretty good results.

DON'T DISS MY EXEGGUTE. Just saying. Exeggute is actually really good. The only legitimate reason I can think of why you're putting it up here is that your opponent was terrible or you were annoyed to hell by it. Having auto harvest recovery is just so good and if you pair it with toxic spikes, it is absurdly hard to deal with.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What not to use:

Woobat @ Eviolite
Trait: Simple
Level: 5
EVs: 252 Def / 76 SAtk / 180 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Why you shouldn't use it: Woobat seems like it would be incredibly powerful on paper, but with all of the Pokemon running around that outspeed and/or straight up kill it, it has almost no chances to set up. It's just not worth it.

Nice set i will edit this project after school i apologise for my inactivness (if thats a word?) in this thread i have been a bit busy recently

(First post, woo!)

Snover @ Eviolite
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 100 Atk / 184 SAtk / 196 Spd
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Support, Wallbreaker

As Scarf Snover is pretty much standard, this thing surprises opponents switching in a water type on what they THINK is a choice-locked ice attack, only to get smacked by Giga Drain. Sure, its completely walled by fire types, but Snover should really not left in against one anyway.

EDIT: After a quick calc, I learned Eviolite Snover can take an unboosted HP Fighting from max SpA Misdreavous

Team Mates: Anything that likes hail, really

Hey AC Serprent welcome to smogon! Yeah Evolite is way better then E-belt. I will add your set once you follow the presentation in the op. if you look at other peoples "sets to use" you will find that they list their role, good team mates, additional info, etc.

I am in the process of typing up a description and adding Exeqqgute :D

Ok so i fixed up the op and made it nice and tidy. I included animated sprites for each pokemon to make the OP look nicer. To help get more people contributing to this project i am going to post another set. This is my favourite LC pokemon as some of you may know.

Tirtouga (M) @ Splash Plate
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Role: Physical Sweeper/Late Game Cleaner.
What it does: Tirtouga likes to sweep teams, and it is damn good at it two. Tirtouga is one of the 5 priviledged LC pokemon to have acces to the infamous Shell Smash letting Tirtouga double his Speed and (Special) attack although it lowens his defenses. However with no hazards on the field Tirtouga is pretty much garunteed one free Shell Smash because of Sturdy. Tirtouga's stab moves have relitively good coverage only being walled by Ferroseed, Lileep and Croagunk. Stone Edge and Aqua Tail are both quite high powered moves and are the stab moves of choice despite their sometimes frustrating accuracy. At first Aqua Jet, may look odd on a pokemon that is supposed to double its speed but it gets great kills on Drilbur and Sandshrew in sand and it also bypasses your opponents attempt to end your sweep early with Sucker Punch. Splash Plate is the prefered item to boost the power of Aqua Jet and Aqua Tail while not giving off recoil damage like Life Orb
Good Teammates: Misdreavus is probally the best teammate for Tirtouga available. The two for the great "MissTouga Core" i used in one of my Little Cup teams. This is because Nasty Plot Misdreavus with Hidden Power [Fighting] can take on Lileep, Ferroseed, Porygon, Slowbro and weaken Croagunk all pokemon who are capable of stopping a Tirtouga sweep. Rapid Spin support is also great to keep Sturdy intact so Staryu is always a good partner as well as Natu.
What Counters It: as mentioned above Lileep, Ferroseed, Porygon, Slowbro, Croagunk.
Any Additional Info: This is my favourite Little Cup Pokemon and it is so adorable :D

I will be updating the op very actively so please start posting some sets :D​

Misdreavus @ Life Orb / Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
~ Nasty Plot
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power Fighting
~ Thunderbolt / Icy Wind / Will-O-Wisp / Taunt

Role: Sweeper
What it does: Misdreavus uses her base 85 Speed and Special Attack along with Nasty Plot to become one of the most dangerous LC pokemon in the metagame, especially as a late-game cleaner. One Nasty Plot grants her 36 Special Attack, which is godly when used with her great movepool. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting form unresisted coverage, Thunderbolt hits Water and Flying type pokemon like Clamperl, Tirtouga, and Murkrow. Icy Wind is another option to hit Ground-types and give sand teams a hassle. One can opt for a more defensive set and use Will-O-Wisp to severely cripple offensive threats like Mienfoo and Scraggy. Taunt can stop hazard setters like Dwebble right in their tracks.
Good Teammates: Since Missy forces a lot of switches, entry hazards can make your opponent pretty pooper peeved. Dwebble, a prime hazard setter, is a great example. Other notable Teammates are Ferroseed, Bronxor, Hippopotas, and Shelmet. Misdreavus's main counter is Stunky, and while I myself don't see too much Stunky usage, pokemon that can take care of the stinky bastard make for good teammates. Fighting-types can spook Stunky pretty well, some examples are Timburr, who gets an Attack boost if Stunky tries to poison him, and Croagunk, who can abuse priority moves like Vacuum Wave and Sucker Punch. Diglett is a great friend to have, as it can trap Stunky and kill it with a super-effective EQ.
What Counters It: As I briefly stated in the previous section, Stunky is sort of Misdreavus's one and only true counter. Stunky can comfortably take anything Misdreavus can throw at it, and trap it with Pursuit or hit hard with Crunch. If Stunky is too stinky for you, Normal-type special walls like Porygon and Munchlax are immune to Misdreavus's STAB attack and can take a HP Fighting. If defense is too cool for you, any hard hitting pokemon that can pressure Missy works. Hydro Pump, Blizzard, Fire Blast, Outrage, etc. Croagunk can most of the time survive Misreavus's attacks and can retaliate with Dark-type moves.
Additional Info: Misdreavus is a great LC poke who checks many offensive threats and can sweep anyone who does not prepare for it.

Thanks Golgi Body i added the set to the OP! Now bear in mind that this project aims in helping newer players find out what pokemon to use and what not to use. With that in mind i feel like balancing the sets out is a good idea. We already have a great array of offensive pokemon for teambuilders but we don't have much defensive, or utility pokemon. Additionally we don't have much pokemon in the "Stuff Not to Use" so please try and get more of those in. To not sound hypocritical i will edit this post and add one defensive pokemon and one pokemon to go in "Stuff not to use" very shortly.

Shroomish (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 36 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Stun Spore

Role: Wall
What it does: Shroomish is quite a useful wall to counter Drilbur, Staryu and Chinchou three common pokemon in the tier. He can take any of their hits even a +2 Drilburs X-Scissor, and proceed to either Spore or use Giga Drain which hits all of those pokemon super effectivevley. With Spore and Stun Spore Shroomish can spread crippling status to alot of your opponents team members. He is a great pokemon for any offensive team in need of defence because he can also support offensive teams with Spore, and Stun Spore.
Good Teammates: Misdreavus is a great team mate being one of the biggest Toxic lures in the game letting her lure in Toxic so Shroomish can get the Poison Heal recovery. Pretty much any set up sweeper appreciates the status that Shroomish spreads so things like Scraggy, Shellder, Axew are all good team mates. Houndour is also great with Flash Fire seeing as Shroomish has a Fire-type weakness.
What Counters It: Natu stops this set cold. With Magic Bounce Natu reflects all status moves back to Shroomish while he resists Shroomish's only attacking move as well. Scarf Snover can also prove quite threatening with stab Blizzard and Cottonee resists Giga Drain, while having Prankster Taunt to shut down Shroomish.
Any Additional Info: Shroomish is a very good defensive pokemon and is almost unstopable to ko if it has been poisoned.​

Shitdot (Seedot)
Trait: Cholorphyl
Evs: 40 Atk / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Ivs: 3 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
~ Growth
~ SolarBeam
~ Explosion
~ Hidden Power Fire/ Sunny Day

Why it shouldn't be used: For one this pokemon has the lowest stats of all pokemon in the entire game! This pokemon is absolutely terrible. While a few users like to use Seedot in the one thing it is viable in sun. It is very very bad. You may be able to get a cool little sweep with Seedot on someone who doesn't know how to play Little Cup but any half decent competitive team will make you pay for using Seedot. I can't stress enough how terrible this pokemon is.

Edit: I can't believe i missed it the whole time but i put Corkscrews Pineco in "Stuff not to use" however instead of putting it in defense i put it in utility because it's main role is spinning hazards away and setting up hazards rather than walling pokemon​

i think dat clampearl is da best for this teir because it has hight defense and if u give it a deepseatooth it is it's best.

ok i am going to close this thread now because i feel it has served its purpose and apparently the lc sub forum will have a similar project underway thank you all for contributing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)