Project LC Theorymon Project [Submission Phase] [ded atm]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
approved by macle
Welcome to LC Theorymons!

Key Information:
  • There is now a council for LC Theorymons.
  • Slates will be cycling a bit irregularly, ranging from every 4 days to a week. This is completely subjective on the amount of activity there is, so the activity doesn't stop dead.
  • The title will be updated to reflect slate and voting
  • Voting will take place in the thread

Anyways...

Welcome to the Theorymon Project of 6th gen's LC. Here, every few days, we will be discussing a list of 4 Pokemon, all of which will have little to zero viability in LC, and all of which have an additional move / ability / typing that they didn't originally have. After all the theorymons have been sufficiently discussed, the voting will commence, which will last exactly one day.

How will this list of Pokemon be created each time? I will be accepting ideas from the community and I may also put some of my own ideas into a relatively small slate (4-5 Pokemon) each time. Every Pokemon that wins on each voting will be recorded in the archive, together with the name of the person who submitted it. All submissions will be sent to all the council, listed below, via VM or PM.

At the end of every month, we will have roughly ~6 new Pokemon.

Here are some general rules that each theorymon suggestion should follow:
  • Don't suggest changes about Pokemon that are already pretty viable in LC. Of course the term 'pretty viable' is open to interpretation, so to be more specific, everything in C+ rank and below in the viability ranking thread is fair game.
  • Don’t suggest changes that make or may make a Pokemon broken
  • Only theorymon ideas that bring positives to the LC metagame and have useful implications will be picked, which means no Huge Power on random Pokemon and other similar buffs.
  • You can only add a secondary typing to Pokemon of one type, or change the second type of a dual-typed Pokemon. Eg. Adding a Grass type to Flabebe, or changing Gastly from Ghost / Poison to Ghost / (insert other type)
  • Those changes should at the very least not contradict flavor. They don’t have to fit a Pokemon’s flavor perfectly, but don’t suggest a secondary Fire-type for Grass-types for example.
  • I'd really like if you made no comments on 'lol this thread was unnecessary' because there is a legitimate reason for it :L
  • No bashing other people's opinion
  • Only Pokemon in B- and lower can be discussed for Theorymons. For reference, here are the Viability Rankings.
The winning Theorymons will be hosted on an alternate server.
And here is a suggestion to make your theorymon more likely to get picked and give you a better idea of what we are looking for in this thread:

Also, advice to anyone that wants to submit a theorymon. Don't suggest mindless offensive buffs. The metagame is already very offensive and we don't need more powerhouses, such as Extremespeed Eevee and Shell Smash Squirtle. If you want to suggest something offensive, you should be sure that it adds something positive to the metagame and is not just one more powerful attacker.
For this reason, defensive buffs are more what i am looking for. Giving to not so viable Pokemon buffs that will allow them to successfully fill a defensive niche in the LC metagame. If your suggestion does that and doesn't contradict the flavor of the Pokemon, it's very likely to get slated. This doesn't mean that suggestions about offensive buffs won't get slated, just that I will be much more careful about them, and I will only pick them if they come along with some utility instead of sheer force.

So, please before submitting your suggestion, take a second to think about how this suggestion will fit in the metagame. This thread is not so that we can talk about mindless buffs to random Pokemon, but for us to find ways to improve the LC metagame by giving buffs to not so viable or completely unviable Pokemon.
And last but not least, here is the council that will be running this thread and will be choosing the slates:

The council helps lead discussion and will accept theorymons, and are a figure of authority here. If you are a recognized contributor to the thread, you may earn a spot in our council.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like to suggest Bug / Steel Shelmet. The flavor is all there, I'm sure.

Shelmet has all the makings of a fantastic wall in LC. Access to recovery, Spikes, Infestation as well as impressive 50/85/65 bulk make Shelmet a hard Pokemon to take down at times, and it can easily set up layers of entry hazards against the right foes. The only thing in its way (aside from its lackluster speed and mediocre attacking pool) is its defensive typing. Weaknesses to Rock- and Flying-types really shorten the number of things Shelmet walls; Fletchling can wreak havoc with its Flying-type STAB, while Stealth Rock limits Shelmet's ability to switch in on things.

That is why I propose Steel be added to Shelmet's typing. Shelmet was never going to get around its weakness to Fire-types, so a 4x weakness to Fire-type moves is a worthwhile trade off, as Shelmet now picks up a swag of resistances as well as an immunity to Poison-type attacks, meaning Foongus is absolutely screwed if it gets trapped. Although Shelmet is now less able to wall Fighting-types and now falls victim to Fletchling's Overheat, Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Cottonee are utterly helpless, while Shelmet now being immune to Stealth Rock allows it to switch in with greater ease and set up its own entry hazards.

This variation of Shelmet could function very well on Stall and other defensive playstyles, as although it is similar to Ferroseed in many ways, its ability to trap and recover sets it apart.

I'd like to suggest Dragon/Fairy Swablu. It's just like a mini-mega Altaria.

Swablu always had the movepool, ability, and stats of a solid support mon. It has access to reliable recovery in Roost, solid 23/16/16 defenses, and nice support moves like Heal Bell, Haze, and Perish Song. However, it's typing always let it down. Dragon/Fairy is a pretty amazing defensive typing, resisting grass, water, electric, fighting, fire, bug, and dark. With it's new typing, Swablu would be a great check to Chinchou/bulky waters, fighters, Ponyta/fires, Carvanha, and other misc threats all in one team slot, which would be really unique role no other lc mon can claim. imo, this would be a cool change to an unloved mon with no niche.

Swablu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Level: 5
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Toxic

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I'd like to suggest Dragon/Fairy Swablu. It's just like a mini-mega Altaria.

Swablu always had the movepool, ability, and stats of a solid support mon. It has access to reliable recovery in Roost, solid 23/16/16 defenses, and nice support moves like Heal Bell, Haze, and Perish Song. However, it's typing always let it down. Dragon/Fairy is a pretty amazing defensive typing, resisting grass, water, electric, fighting, fire, bug, and dark. With it's new typing, Swablu would be a great check to Chinchou/bulky waters, fighters, Ponyta/fires, Carvanha, and other misc threats all in one team slot, which would be really unique role no other lc mon can claim. imo, this would be a cool change to an unloved mon with no niche.

Swablu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Toxic
Although this is cool and all, this nomination isn't allowed for theorymonning.

• You can only add a secondary typing to Pokemon of one type, or change the second type of a dual-typed Pokemon. Eg. Adding a Grass type to Flabebe, or changing Gastly from Ghost / Poison to Ghost / (insert other type)
Sorry :/

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
NINCADA

I'm suggesting Regenerator on Nincada and access to U-turn and Earthquake. I'm not sure if that's too much to add to one Pokemon, but it'll pretty much salvage Nincada from the depths of non-existance and put it on a nice little pedestal in B+.

Flavor:
Nincada is an insect, and it's a pretty well known fact that insects are capable of regaining lost limbs through regeneration. However, as cited from Popular Science's online article regarding the topic of body regeneration, "Many insects regenerate abnormally small legs from which some segments may be missing." This plays quite nicely into the concept of the ability, Regenerator, as the Pokemon is not gaining 100% of its lost health back, but merely 33%. Therefore, upon switching out, Nincada would be attempting to grow back its limbs, but only with small success. Makes sense. This would most likely replace Nincada's current Hidden Ability, Run Away.

As a Bug-type Pokemon, Nincada is longing for U-turn. Its evolved form, Ninjask, has access to the move, yet I presume the reason Nincada doesn't already learn U-turn to be the fact that its other evolved form, Shedinja, doesn't have access to it. They're both Bug-types and they both suck in their respective metagames, so let's just make them happy and give them U-turn. Plus, it wouldn't even benefit Shedinja because U-turning when Stealth Rock is up would be plain stupid.

Earthquake is another move that Nincada should be gifted with, with the only true issue being "What happens once it evolves?" I'm not sure what sort of funky mechanics would need to take place upon Nincada's evolution, but two Bug-types with no connection to the Ground-type spamming Earthquake would likely be an issue in terms of flavor. However, we aren't talking about evolutions. We're talking about motherfuckin' Little Cup, and Little Cup needs a motherfuckin' Bug / Ground-type with Earthquake.

Analysis:
Nincada already has a nice, little niche in the current metagame, walling Drilbur to no end with its RestTalk Giga Drain shenanigans; however, this isn't the life that Nincada dreamed about as a young, Level 1 hatchling. This isn't the world that this adorable insect wanted to be a part of.

Regenerator would allow Nincada not only to have a more reliable form of recovery than Rest, but a means of reliably checking Drilbur over and over and over again, without having to rely on a Wish from Spritzee or getting lucky with Sleep Talk Giga Drain. It would let Nincada check more Pokemon throughout the match, as its unique Bug / Ground-type resists Fighting-, Ground-, and Poison-type attacks, and grants Nincada an immunity to Electric-type attacks.

U-turn would not only present Nincada with a strong Bug-type STAB, but a means of activating its Regenerator repeatedly throughout a match. Nincada would now be a strong option for a defensive pivot, rivaling Larvesta's current potential with U-turn, just with less immediate power and a lack of weakness to Stealth Rock. It would greatly supplement Nincada's typing, along with its newfound ability, Regenerator. U-turn would also allow Nincada to slowly U-turn into a strong Pokemon that doesn't appreciate being hit, such as Carvanha.

Earthquake just makes sense, plain and simple. As a Bug / Ground Pokemon, Nincada is truly lacking in its representation of the Ground-type. The only Ground-type moves it has access to are Mud Slap, Dig, and the legendary STAB Hidden Power Ground. Earthquake would most definitely increase Nincada's viability, and it would provide Nincada with a means of hitting Fighting-types for significant damage without relying on Giga Drain. It would also allow Nincada to actually check Poison-types, as currently it can only switch in and hit them with a measly Hidden Power Ground.

Moveset:
I've taken the liberty of including a moveset, as I want to be better than ZF in every possible way. GOML babe.

Nincada @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 188 HP / 76 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hone Claws
- Filler

This moveset would provide Nincada with significant bulky in the physical department, while still guaranteeing some offensive pressure with U-turn and Hone Claws. The EVs can definitely be played around with a bit, but this gives the general idea of what this new Nincada would look like, as even with its still-shallow movepool, Nincada would be able to contend with some top Little Cup threats.

tl;dr Nincada's a lord, do what I say

I'd like to suggest Magic Bounce Munna. Right now, Munna has pretty useless abilities, competitively speaking. Forewarn is very, very rarely useful, though it may on occasion help with determining a set; Synchronize gives it a small niche as a status absorber, but doesn't do much more than that; and Telepathy is literally useless in singles. With Magic Bounce, Munna would be a boon to Baton Pass teams, while also being able to function independently as a win-condition.

It fits as flavor, since all Pokemon that get Magic Bounce without changing formes are Psychic types- Espeon, Natu, and Xatu (the other Magic Bouncers being Mega Absol, Mega Diancie, and Mega Sableye). Furthermore, Munna looks like a ball. Do you know what balls do? They bounce. Munna is a Psychic type. You know what Psychics do? MAGIC. Munna is literally the epitome of magical bounciness.

Munna has excellent bulk, and access to setup moves such as Barrier, Curse, and Calm Mind. However, the problem with it was always that it got status'ed when it tried to set up. With Magic Bounce, that problem is remedied. It also has a wonderful support movepool, with moves including Heal Bell, Healing Wish, Trick Room, Moonlight, Gravity, Light Screen, and Reflect. With Magic Bounce, it could establish itself as one of the premier support Pokemon in the tier. It also has access to Baton Pass alongside its boosting moves, which in combination with Magic Bounce would give Little Cup Baton Pass an entirely new niche (Magic Bounce and Baton Pass are incompatible on Natu). All of these new niches would place Munna in B+ or even A rank, helping to diversify the metagame.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
suggesting 75 speed Woobat

that's a 3 point increase in speed. With 19 speed if invested and timid, Woobat is a much more capable sweeper, able to setup CMs on most special attackers and spam psychic / air slash / heat wave. It isn't stopped anymore by the likes of Ponyta if it runs 19 speed, and can finally run modest at 18 speed if you only feel like beating mienfoo / archen / etc.

Honestly, this thing could sit out at B or B+ with only 3 more points in speed.

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
Submissions closed :) I will edit the second post with accepted nominations later today!

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
(sorry for double post) Nominations are in! Check here to see the nominations and vote for what you want to see theorymonned!

Melon

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Shelmet

Could diffidently compete with Ferro for teamslots imo

Magic Bounce Munna

This thing would become extremely useful even outside of Trick Room and Baton Pass.
you are officially my new favorite person for voting for me with your 1k post <3333

Since I can't vote for myself, going with Bug / Steel Shelmet because it's also a mon I can use on BP n_n

Tahu already mentioned it but, Woobat would need 83 base speed to reach 19. Regardless of changing it to 83/84 (So you can use Hidden Powers) or keeping it at 18 speed, I'm voting for Woobat.

Nincada
Amazing Regen Pivot, can work on both voltturn and stall teams thanks to its great ability, typing, and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)