Lower Tiers LC Viability Rankings 2.0

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Can someone explain to me why Fletchling isn't S? I'm not saying it should be, I'm just legitimately curious.
Its checks and counters are ubiquitous, and have been for a long time. In terms of forcing teams to run answers it's right up there with Pawniard (possibly even more so), but it's just flat out not as effective as the S ranks because every team has at worst a check and those checks are amazingly solid because Fletch has a terrible movepool.

It's a little like Keldeo was in OU when it dropped, it had all the qualities that made it S rank but because everyone and their mother had something that beat it it just wasn't S rank material. Fletchling is incredible, it just suffers from a rightfully unfriendly environment.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can someone explain to me why Fletchling isn't S? I'm not saying it should be, I'm just legitimately curious.
Fletchling was S rank in past iterations of the meta, particularly in XY. In fact, people thought it was so good that we actually ended up suspecting it along with Misdreavus. So what happened? Well, as it turns out, Fletchling is not that difficult to play against. Just about any somewhat-bulky Rock-, Steel-, or Electric-type Pokemon could check it effectively, and other Pokemon such as bulky Porygon and Hippopotas can stand up to it as well. Once people began actually preparing for Fletchling, it was revealed to be less impressive than was initially thought. In basic terms, the meta and the players have adapted to Fletchling. While it is still quite good, it is no longer as threatening as it was in its S-rank glory days.

E: well snipe me right in the face

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi friends :)

Omanyte to A

I'll build upon this later, I have to read to kids soon lmao. Anyways, Omanyte is such a great Pokemon right now. Between its hazard setting/defensive set and offensive Shell Smash set, it's always something to consider when building for and against teams. I'm also willing to say that the Shell Smash set is one of the best win conditions in the tier right now, being able to check physical Fletchling is huge for a something that can set up. It's strong as all hell even before setting up, and has a moveset that can be tailored to fend off any threats (Earth Power for Chou, Rock Blast for Sashbra etc etc) makes it such a threat in the metagame. With access to all three hazards, Weak Armor to set them up faster, and a powerful Scald/HPump regardless of investment makes it a great lead that can repeatedly set up hazards and check some shit throughout the match. I'll add on later if need be but "Where the Wild Things Are" is more important.

E- sorry if someone made this nom I haven't reread

I'd like to nominate Shuppet to move from Unranked -> D. Shuppet has offensive stats that can also function as a trick room setter. It's bulk is OK, and it's a premier spinblocker. It also has strong priority in the move of Shadow Sneak, and it can utilize a Will-O-Wisp/Knock Off set as well. It also gets coverage: Gunk shot, Double Edge, and it even can run a special set, with a lot of strong special move. Overall, I think that, while it needs SOME support, it should be mentioned.
Trick room is mediocre in lc and shuppet is really easy to stop unless you run sash and its still dying right afterwards. Its a bad spinblocker, drilbur and staryu both don't fear it switching in, unless tr is up which would result in shuppet getting donked. Shadow sneak is not strong at all, its one of the weakest forms on prio backed by a lack of SE targets. Shuppet just serves no relevant purpose, slow weak mono ghost typing who is supposed to support yet needs too nuch support to work.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
45/35/33 is not good bulk at all, especially when you are talking about something that wants to switch into Rapid Spin users like Drilbur. It's also way too slow for something so frail, and a weak Shadow Sneak can't fix that. Being weak to Knock Off is even worse. Shuppet is also very outclassed, in everything it can do. Pumpkaboo, Frillish, and even Gastly make better spinblockers than Shuppet, Honedge is a better physical attacking Ghost, and Gastly is a better special attacking Ghost. Things that are unranked are that way because there is no reason to use them on serious teams, and I believe that Shuppet fits that description.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
speaking of spinblocking

I would like to nominate Frillish to B

This is the best spinblocker in the tier in my opinion. And although I don't play this tier much, I can see that spinblocking is indeed very important. Drilbur and Staryu are incredibly common and the best forms of hazard removal along with Vullaby. Yet it is so easy to stack hazards with pokemon like Dwebble and such, which makes Frillish a great benefit to the playstyle. What Frillish does with a physically defensive EV spread is it can reliably switch in on Drilbur and Staryu (it doesn't even fear Scald burns like Pumpkaboo because of Water Absorb) and prevent hazards from being removed. But aside from being a guaranteed spin-blocker, Frillish is also a very decent pokemon on its own. It has great mixed bulk so it can stand up to common pokemon like Sash Abra and Fletchling throughout the match. It also has a very surprising offensive presence. Scald off base 65 SpA is nothing to scoff at, and nearly everything that can take a Scald definitely won't want to take a Will-o-wisp or a Hex. I've been running it with Toxic Spikes support and it is really cool as Hex becomes super powerful and forms a nice dual STAB with Scald. The major problem with Frillish happens to be its weakness to Knock Off. However, this is actually salvageable because Frillish can take any non-STAB knock off and cripple the opposing pokemon with Will-o-Wisp.

Below are some replays showing how Frillish can keep up effectiveness throughout the match. Unfortunately they aren't vs highest-level opponents, but you can definitely see how Frillish can really annoy common pokemon like Drilbur and Fletchling, and how it really takes advantage of toxic spikes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-316299619
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-316296333

Frillish I used extensively in XY LC and oh my GOD is it good with t. spike support. Acid armor is suprisingly REALLY good on it, letting it ignore knock offs much more easily, stall out almost any physical attacker and scald, recover and hex easily round it out as a spin blocker that is incredibly hard to break and hard to punish for switching in. Cursed body just add to how badly this thing can totally wall out a lot of mons including mienfoo, ponyta, diglett, archen, snubbull and munchlax. It can wall god damn guts Timburr if it acid armors on the switch in.
116 Atk Guts Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +2 236 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
That being said, there are some dwnsides that would keep me from putting it at B. Even though it's great at spin blocking, it doesn't do much to help against defoggers like Vullaby and it can often get stalled out by rest users like munchlax. Still a great mon that should be in the B ranks though.

speaking of spinblocking

I would like to nominate Frillish to B

This is the best spinblocker in the tier in my opinion. And although I don't play this tier much, I can see that spinblocking is indeed very important. Drilbur and Staryu are incredibly common and the best forms of hazard removal along with Vullaby. Yet it is so easy to stack hazards with pokemon like Dwebble and such, which makes Frillish a great benefit to the playstyle. What Frillish does with a physically defensive EV spread is it can reliably switch in on Drilbur and Staryu (it doesn't even fear Scald burns like Pumpkaboo because of Water Absorb) and prevent hazards from being removed. But aside from being a guaranteed spin-blocker, Frillish is also a very decent pokemon on its own. It has great mixed bulk so it can stand up to common pokemon like Sash Abra and Fletchling throughout the match. It also has a very surprising offensive presence. Scald off base 65 SpA is nothing to scoff at, and nearly everything that can take a Scald definitely won't want to take a Will-o-wisp or a Hex. I've been running it with Toxic Spikes support and it is really cool as Hex becomes super powerful and forms a nice dual STAB with Scald. The major problem with Frillish happens to be its weakness to Knock Off. However, this is actually salvageable because Frillish can take any non-STAB knock off and cripple the opposing pokemon with Will-o-Wisp.

Below are some replays showing how Frillish can keep up effectiveness throughout the match. Unfortunately they aren't vs highest-level opponents, but you can definitely see how Frillish can really annoy common pokemon like Drilbur and Fletchling, and how it really takes advantage of toxic spikes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-316299619
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-316296333
Frillish has a few issues with vs some offensive teams though. The rise of Elekid and the ever present Magnemite will put off switching it in willy nilly. The rare LO Drilbur will still outspeed and 2HKO after rocks. I admit it's rare but it still plays against it. Snivy laughs at it unless Leaf Storm gets disabled by Cursed Body (which in itself is uncommon since water absorb is generally superior but it also means Frillish will still die afterwards). It can do bugger all to prevent the opponent hazard stacking and it has to forego either a support option to it's STAB to run coverage like Ice Beam to break past a few of these, but still gets KO'd by the rest anyway. Pawnjard can cause serious trouble with pursuit and Knock Off, though hates Wisp/scald burns. It also loses to some bulky mons too, hating the likes of Porygon, Ferroseed and every bulky water besides opposing Frillish. Admittedly it can Taunt many of these mons, but must sacrfice yet another valuable moveslot for recovery ot status or coverage. Many fight types it may want to threaten run Knock Off, though it does have a chance to survive and cripple with Wisp, it's still usually getting 2HKO'd by Mien. Staryu aren't exactly strangers to TBolt either, and Abra OHKO with Psychic/Shadow Ball. There are several serious contentions that limit spinblocking versus offensive/balanced offensive.

After saying all that, I still agree the movement to B, being able to threaten Archen, Drillbur, non-TBolt Staryu, Fletchling and Diglett (if at full health) are huge defensive achievements. It works great with Sticky Web, being resistant to the vast majority of priority and checking Drillbur and Staryu greatly.

On Aipom, it has a good few movesets/coverage moves, though they tend to beat the same sort of checks give or take a few. It can run Brick Break for pawnjard or Fire Punch for Ferroseed. Gunk Shot for Spritzee, Taunt + LO Skill Link Fury Swipes for stallbreaking, fake out (I kinda find Fake Out slightly mediocre when there are better coverage options but it's there), Power-up-punch. Low Kick, Seed Bomb, Shadow Claw, Sub+3 attacks for lategame, Switcheroo for screwing up walls with a scarf set to revenge kill Abra/Gastly/Diglett. U-Turn is also an option on almost any set for momentum as well if coverage isn't important to you. Pursuit is usable but there are better users. It can scare of Abra and damage it on the switch. It gets boosting in Hone Claws, subpar but usable. It does get Nasty Plot but until I try a special set I'm going to assume it's bad. You can use Agility to revenge kill without scarf if you can take a turn. Aipom also gets Baton Pass to work with agility/nasty plot with Sub.

If I've missed anything feel free to say and post a set (I don't have a coherent set yet that isn't just standard LO/Eviloite + a coverage move).

On Aipom, it has a good few movesets/coverage moves, though they tend to beat the same sort of checks give or take a few. It can run Brick Break for pawnjard or Fire Punch for Ferroseed. Gunk Shot for Spritzee, Taunt + LO Skill Link Fury Swipes for stallbreaking, fake out (I kinda find Fake Out slightly mediocre when there are better coverage options but it's there), Power-up-punch. Low Kick, Seed Bomb, Shadow Claw, Sub+3 attacks for lategame, Switcheroo for screwing up walls with a scarf set to revenge kill Abra/Gastly/Diglett. U-Turn is also an option on almost any set for momentum as well if coverage isn't important to you. Pursuit is usable but there are better users. It can scare of Abra and damage it on the switch. It gets boosting in Hone Claws, subpar but usable. It does get Nasty Plot but until I try a special set I'm going to assume it's bad. You can use Agility to revenge kill without scarf if you can take a turn. Aipom also gets Baton Pass to work with agility/nasty plot with Sub.

If I've missed anything feel free to say and post a set (I don't have a coherent set yet that isn't just standard LO/Eviloite + a coverage move).
Only moves worth using are u-turn fake out (lower ends of use) fury swipes brick break fire punch seed bomb and you forgot water pulse and knock off. PuP is trash on 99% of the mons that get it, low kick is horrible in LC, Shadow Claw is an inferior knock off, Taunt is meh when you 2HKO like everything in the tier with LO, and eviolite would rather use its good bulk to get 3HKOs/2HKOs, might have some use. Pursuit is I guess decent but you tie with abra and can't switch in so ids why you'd run it. Aipom already has bulk with eviolite and a high initial speed for agility to be largely useless. Scarf is kinda in the same boat as agility, except instead of a wasted slot you have to be locked into shitty moves backed by only average damage output aside from fury swipes, knock off does enough to deter walls. This isn't be to rude or anything I would just like to clear up some misconceptions you have so you can better use aipom and others who're reading this hopefully can too.

Only moves worth using are u-turn fake out (lower ends of use) fury swipes brick break fire punch seed bomb and you forgot water pulse and knock off. PuP is trash on 99% of the mons that get it, low kick is horrible in LC, Shadow Claw is an inferior knock off, Taunt is meh when you 2HKO like everything in the tier with LO, and eviolite would rather use its good bulk to get 3HKOs/2HKOs, might have some use. Pursuit is I guess decent but you tie with abra and can't switch in so ids why you'd run it. Aipom already has bulk with eviolite and a high initial speed for agility to be largely useless. Scarf is kinda in the same boat as agility, except instead of a wasted slot you have to be locked into shitty moves backed by only average damage output aside from fury swipes, knock off does enough to deter walls. This isn't be to rude or anything I would just like to clear up some misconceptions you have so you can better use aipom and others who're reading this hopefully can too.
I was just listing some potentially useful moves, not suggesting that they should be used or that I've even used them myself. I've been lurking the forums for ages but trying to be useful and post intelligently is still quite difficult when you're still new to the metagame and the forums, I'm just doing what I can. If I'm being unhelpful tell me (I know you just did and thanks) and I'll stop, don't worry.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was just listing some potentially useful moves, not suggesting that they should be used or that I've even used them myself. I've been lurking the forums for ages but trying to be useful and post intelligently is still quite difficult when you're still new to the metagame and the forums, I'm just doing what I can. If I'm being unhelpful tell me (I know you just did and thanks) and I'll stop, don't worry.
Jesus, don't take it so hard. He wasn't being snide or overly critical, he was just pointing out a few misconceptions and that some moves shouldn't be used.

Hi, welcome to the forums. It's always nice to see new contributors, and I do hope you'll stick around. If you post your thoughts and opinions, always assume they'll be examined and critiqued; this is how we gain insight and grow smarter as a tier. We all get our thoughts criticized, just try not to take it so personally next time. Hope you stick around, man.

Jesus, don't take it so hard. He wasn't being snide or overly critical, he was just pointing out a few misconceptions and that some moves shouldn't be used.

Hi, welcome to the forums. It's always nice to see new contributors, and I do hope you'll stick around. If you post your thoughts and opinions, always assume they'll be examined and critiqued; this is how we gain insight and grow smarter as a tier. We all get our thoughts criticized, just try not to take it so personally next time. Hope you stick around, man.
I..wasn't taking it so hard? I was just explaining myself. I'm sorry if it came out that way but it wasn't my intention. That's just how I talk/type when I'm not engaging in awful banter. It's hard to judge how you'll be perceived based solely on text. That 'thanks' wasn't sarcastic, I was actually saying thanks :/. But thanks for the intro anyway, I appreciate it.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
This isn't a formal nomination, but what are people's thoughts on Croagunk to A-? I've been using it a lot recently, and it's been very effective as a decent fighting type check and all around difficult thing to face. It's got multiple sets which have somewhat different answers, its Poison typing lets it deal with most people's fighting type answers significantly more effectively than most fighters (poor pancham), and even though its stats aren't the best, Croagunk's movepool is amazing and a scald immunity is great. I've heard from other LCers that they're also feeling like Croagunk is better again.

The main reason this isn't an actual nomination is that it doesn't make sense that Croagunk feels more effective. Psychic coverage is really common on Porygon and Staryu (meaning that Dry Skin doesn't help as much), Diglett's usage is incredibly high, and even Fletchling has been seeing more use. Vullaby's recent return to popularity doesn't help either. Despite this Croagunk's been playing as if the meta is more unprepared for it, so I'd like to source some opinions on it.

I want to nominate Croagunk to A-. I feel that Croagunk lacks specific breakthrough checks or lures do to the rise of the mons Merritt mentioned. The accessibility and coverage of things that break through Croagunk means no ones runs anything specifically to get rid of it. Croagunk walls and checks a great number of prominent mons like Mienfoo, Pawnjard, Porygon minus Psychic, Staryu minus Psychic and has great coverage to generally do damage to large proportions of the tier. Being effective at a numerous set (I run a mixed set myself, Vacuum Wave is bae versus Pawnjard :P) means it's checks and revenge killers differ, so until you scout it out you can't know what it can and can't kill. It has no real lures either, just makeshift ones. A fighting type that can break through Spritzee and bulky grass types isn't exactly a horrible affliction.

Tl:dr a lack of things that reliably check it besides odd coverage moves and unpredictability along with checking prominent pokemon with a great movepool.

Gunk doesn't reliably check fighting types. Iirc BU Timburr, Acrofoo, and ZHB Panda all win vs it. It struggles vs Snivy because of HP Flying, and most Porygon and Staryu SHOULD carry Psychic. Try Skrelp if you wantsomething to check those mons imo

i think a big part of the reason for croagunk's rise in viability ( i definitely agree its better that it was 2 months ago) is the huge rise in strong water type wallbreakers such as corphish, skrelp, and carvanha. corphish in particular is extremely difficult to check and essentially mandates a water resist on most serious teams. gunk is great for this because of dry skin and its ability to check all kinds of other things as well (pawn, most fights, fairies) in one slot. i dont think a move to a- would be unwarranted

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
I also think that Croagunk deserves a rise. Because a lot of things are forced to switch out on it, like Fairies, water mons, and some fightings, it has plenty chance to do a lot to a team. It also lets it set up nasty plot very easily and it can dish out a lot of damage this way too. When you see a croagunk on a team, its decently hard to figure out what its running and therefore hard to switch stuff into it. I agree that it should be risen up to A-

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been busy for a bit, so I'm going to address almost everything which I was not able to and was not addressed by Quote/Hawk.
: A to A+; Agree

Tahu brought this up ORIGINALLY which was later brought up a SECOND TIME by Krubby, and originally I honestly didn’t agree with either nomination until someone brought the sheer effectiveness of Flame Charge Ponyta to my attention. A fair amount of teams patch a Ponyta weakness or excuse a Ponyta weakness by simply running a Diglett. This is completely obliterated by a Ponyta at +1 Speed. SunnyBeam Ponyta also functions as a rather powerful balance breaker and can function to revenge kill a large portion of the offensive metagame. Ponyta is just super solid, and seems to have overcome its reasons for not being A+.

: A- to A; Indifferent

I’ve not sure how to address this, as I feel that Drifloon is right between A- and A ranks. Between Acrobatics, Knock Off, Will-O-Wisp, Recycle, Substitute, Hypnosis, and Hidden Power [Fighting], dealing with Drifloon is honestly annoying. However, if you can figure out what the set is, and you have a team that is not inherently weak to that particular set, often times Drifloon is only minorly annoying unless you previously over extend into the game and give Drifloon opportunities to simply cripple what it needs to for something else. Drifloon comes across as being a pokemon which is only that much better than the other current A- pokemon (excluding Carvanha) when played around poorly--though I’m sure it can be argued that Drifloon is harder to play around when compared to the other A- ranks.

: A- to A; Agree

Carvanha has always been a threatening pokemon to deal with, and this has only increased as the metagame has shifted to revolve around a combination of Balance and Offense. With three real sets, Carvanha counters can be somewhat varied. However, Croagunk, Ferroseed, Timburr, and Porygon can always revenge kill Carvanha. Knock Off spam into a Carvanha clean is as deadly as ever (shoutout to zeriloa). Strong offensive pressure is especially deadly when coupled with Carvanha, especially if this is Zen Headbutt + Aqua Jet Carvanha. With just Stealth Rocks up, the entire meta is 2HKOed just by Waterfall or Crunch, excluding Dieno (rare), Cottonee (prone to being worn down and weak to Ice Beam, Hidden Power [Fire], or lol Poison Fang), and Croagunk (prone to being worn down though does somewhat deter Waterfall from being spammed; dies to Zen Headbutt). Simply having a Carvanha as a 6th pokemon on a team can create immense pressure on the opposition and forces a greater management of later planning and risk/reward management, especially if the Carvanha’s set isn’t known. Simply giving Carvanha a free attack can swing a game into that Carvanha user’s favor. Being forced to play safely with Carvanha answers is a very extreme detriment to providing pressure and aptly responding to other threats if any notable offensive synergy between the 5 other pokemon on Carvanha’s team exists. So much offensive pressure generated in only one pokemon which can both be used effectively by being somewhat easily tacked onto extreme offense teams or be built around even easier. However, several notable obstacles do lay in Carvanha’s path, meaning that anything higher than A is way too high in my opinion.

: B+ to A-; Disagree

If I remember correctly, Croagunk was originally moved down for being worn down rather easily and not being able to counter say, Pawniard and Mienfoo at the same time. This has not changed. It can however, counter Mienfoo (or Timburr) and check Pawniard. Or it can counter Corphish or reliably check Tirtouga/Omanyte. Honestly the largest issue with Croagunk is that it really struggles to counter two pokemon if they’re paired together, especially if they happen to carry Knock Off--thus making combinations of Pawniard, Mienfoo, Timburr, Corphish, Spritzee, Snubbull, and Skrelp rather hard for Croagunk to deal with. It often lacks the reliable recovery to truly switch into anything say 3 times, especially Pawniard’s Iron Head, Mienfoo’s High Jump Kick, Spritzee’s Moonblast, or Skrelp’s Sludge Wave. It suffers in similar ways as Cottonee does in terms of how it functions Defensively--somewhat lackluster recovery, decent resistances, great utility, but can be forced into doing too much rather easily. Of course, this can be augmented by teammates that can reliably switch into say some of those threats (a second Fighting-type, Ponyta, etc). Then of course we can look at the offensive options of Croagunk: Bulk Up, Nasty Plot, Non-mixed, etc. Generally these rely on Priority to deal with faster Pokemon which is alright especially considering it resists Priorities making its sweeps/cleans rather easily. However when used offensively, Croagunk becomes restricted to checking exclusively unless you are willing to suffer from being unable to sweep or set up later. So ultimately, I find that the original reason for why Croagunk was moved down is still extremely relevant, though in a more offensive meta, Nasty Plot does manage to cement Croagunk as a threat to Offensive teams much more easily, especially coupled with its ability to check some of the most threatening sweepers. But even with this pressure Croagunk can provided to teams, I find that rather often, even my teams which are weak to Croagunk, I can wear Croagunk down and kill it with smart plays and just strong attacks which Croagunk wants to switch into (High Jump Kick, anything from Pawniard, Poison attacks from Skrelp). B+ seems to perfectly fit Croagunk still, though I admit there is some appeal to the rise.

: B to B+; Agree

Honestly I had been indifferent for the longest time to LO Torchic and have found B to be the worthy for the Baton Pass set paired with the sometimes strong Offensive set. However, after Starmaster’s Week 1 game in SPL, I’m really starting to see LO Torchic as something other than a strictly inferior Carvanha. Being able to Baton Pass the speed Boosts gathered while also having a truly powerful Fire Blast and adequate coverage to pressure teams in a similar fashion to Carvanha is a super threatening combination as often, bulky powerhouses such as Skrelp, Berry Juice Magnetite, Corphish or even weird things like Amaura (tad weird to mention here, I do admit) can swing a game incredibly.
A- to B+; Agree

I really dislike when arguments are literally just reworded versions of earlier posts, and I find myself with very little to add to @ThatCrazyRussian’s posts earlier in the thread. However, I’ve heard some whispers of disagreements about this drop, and they seem to revolve around the idea of Drilbur, Abra, and Staryu being super irksome to switch into reliably, and Will-O-Wisp plus Synthesis can pressure most otherwise okay switch ins. The issue is though, that Scald Burns plus Stealth Rock when coupled with Ice Beam prevents Pumpkaboo from truly beating Staryu reliably. Abra wins if it packs Shadow Ball or on hazard stack, though there is a 50/50 on being forced to take a Shadow Sneak in order to kill Pumpkaboo. Drilbur can somewhat win with Poison Jab poisons or much more reliably with Shadow Claw. Pumpkaboo is also rather prone to giving Fire-types free switch ins, which is okay when used on Hazard Stack but rather problematic for balance running Pumpkaboo over say Foongus or Snivy. Pumpkaboo only really excels on hazard oriented teams, and faces stiff competition outside of this.

: C to B-; Agree

This may be a slightly overly ambitions nomination, however Dratini should move up to at least C+ for the reasons given by KM.

: C+ to B-; Agree

I have nothing to add that Levi/KM/Everyone else who has made this nom hasn’t said. It’s been a long time coming.

: B to B-; Disagree

I find that yes, Onix is less effective when compared to Surskit solely due to Sticky Web being more immediately effective than Stealth Rock is. However, Onix is actually decent outside of simply setting up hazards and is thus not setting the team up for a 5 vs 6 matchup from the get go. Additionally, while yes, Onix is incredibly weak, it can 2HKO Knocked Off Fighting types and Drilbur, making its mid game effectivity rather simple if adequately supported. In the event that Timburr or Mienfoo were not Knocked Off, which sometimes is the case, Onix should be rather okay with just clicking Stealth Rock and switching out. It is by no means a brilliant pokemon, it is more effective in a general sense than Stunky or Riolu or even Pancham. It will almost always do what you require of it, and can perform rather decently outside of Taunt and Stealth Rocks. It is not the best of the B ranks, however it is not the worst. If Onix does move down, Stunky and either Pancham or Riolu should probably drop as well.

: B- to C+; Agree

KM and Levi said it perfectly. Fuck Shellos; drop it.

: B- to C+; Agree

Hi, let’s move this one down already. To quote myself from earlier in this thread,
Licki actually has some really cool things it can do, in Counter and SD plus the standard stall-y sets. Tahu was playing around with Licki on full stall recently and ran a set with bloody thunder punch to fully cover Fletchling / Oma / Shellder for example. However, Counter is kinda awful versus Scarf Foo or even just HJK Mienfoo. SD acts are decent lure too, but this makes Licki fail to do anything besides lure or provide a single time check to sweepers. Curse can theoretically work amazingly, but the only plausible reasons to run this over Munchlax is you're playing Missy meta or running Dragon Tail (which is bad). It's all really niche though not inherently bad always, which is why I've been a proponent of it falling down to C+.
: D to C-; Agree

Mankey has always been a really cool fighting type, and always incredibly niche. However the ability to ruin some of the most common Fighting type counters with a combination of Gunk Shot and Rock Slide, mankey has a surprisingly decent chance of being a notable threat to teams. A decent 17 speed coupled with a naturally powerful STAB, the largest thing Mankey lacks is Knock Off to help completely destroy switchins for a variety of pokemon in the same way Doduo does. Mankey is not super effective however, and is largely flawed in that Pawniard has the ability to greatly pressure Mankey creating incredibly stiff competition for Mankey. However, I do think Mankey possesses just enough positive qualities to be ranked as C-.

I cannot be asked to write up something for Litwick based on the fact that while I have tried to use Litwick well many times, it simply fails to do anything great. Honestly in all but 1 team where I have used Litwick, I have switched Gastly for it. The only exception is a Trick Room team, were I used LO TR Pumpkaboo instead. It should remain unranked.

I have no strong opinions on Natu or Cubone rising thus I have chosen to not write anything on either of them.

Additionally, Budew to C-, please? It sets up spikes on every spinner and can pressure every Defogger (Vullaby still wins though).

edit: i forgot to include Tyrunt

: C+ to B-; Agree
Tyrunt has simply brilliant synergy with every Fighting-type, and can simply abuse this synergy to overcome should be checks and gain set up opportunities. SturdyJuice gives Tyrunt ample opportunity to set up and power up its movepool. Stone Edge coupled with Zen Headbutt and Superpower can catch quite a lot by surprised, resulting in Knocked Off fighting types (with just 1 SR switch in), Knocked Off Spritzee (2 SR switch ins), Porygon (50% to OHKO with 1 SR switch in, 100% with 2), Ferroseed (needs to take a Volt Switch or something before hand), and Knocked Off Foongus (with just SR) simply dropping after minor prior damage. Hazard stack really enjoys the presence of Tyrunt clearly, as do teams which are weak to Fletchling but need a win condition. Certainly, Tyrunt can often be compared to Tirtouga however its ability to bust through Porygon, Ferroseed, Lileep, and other otherwise hard walls to the smasher. Tyrunt is not super splashable as a pokemon, however it does not force teams to build around it and has great synergy with a good number of the A and S rank pokemon. Tyrunt is less immediately powerful after setting up when compared to every Shell Smasher, however Tyrunt has the tools to get around what walls these Shell Smashers. Additionally, Tyrunt is prone to being picked off by Choice Scarf Pokemon, and thus is not ranked higher. There is also a Rocks set which I am not too fond of, however it can be from what I have seen it is effective enough to get a passing mention.

Last edited:
I've been busy for a bit, so I'm going to address almost everything which I was not able to and was not addressed by Quote/Hawk.
: A to A+; Agree

Tahu brought this up, and originally I honestly didn’t agree with it until someone brought the sheer effectiveness of Flame Charge Ponyta to my attention. A fair amount of teams patch a Ponyta weakness or excuse a Ponyta weakness by simply running a Diglett. This is completely obliterated by a Ponyta at +1 Speed. SunnyBeam Ponyta also functions as a rather powerful balance breaker and can function to revenge kill a large portion of the offensive metagame. Ponyta is just super solid, and seems to have overcome its reasons for not being A+.
Screw you Fiend it was me who nommed it in this thread ;-;

Rufflet to C+
This was brought up a while ago and even though I really don't like arguing about C rank mons, Rufflet in C- is way too low. Thanks to Rufflet's high Attack, Hustle, and coverage it is able to threaten a very large amount of the metagame. Flying is a great type for it because it beats Fighting-types, Foongus, and Snivy with Aerial Ace, which is very strong despite the low base power, and it can never miss! It makes an excellent partner for Fletchling because it has the ability to hit Flying resists with appropriate coverage. For example, it can hit Steel-types and Porygon with Superpower, Chinchou with Return, and Archen and Ponyta with Rock Slide. In addition to being incredibly difficult to switch into, it also has respectable bulk that lets it check Snivy and makes up for its lowish speed tier. It also has a pretty good Bulk-Up set that can set up on slower teams and abuse passive attackers, even though i think Rufflet's much better as a wallbreaker than a sweeper.

Drifloon to A
Levi already outlined the points about Floon but I really think it should move up! This far in SPL we've really seen the effectiveness of the WispRecycle set. Drifloon is an effective spinblocker, beats fighters, is a decent Snivy check, and it even wins 1v1 vs Pawniard thanks to speed from Unburden. Its ability to burn and stall out such a large part of the metagame makes it a huge threat that every team needs to prepare for. It also has other options in Knock Off and Calm Mind that help cripple the opposing team or set up on stuff like Porygon. Even though these sets aren't as good as WispRecycle, they are viable options that contribute to Floon's versatility!

Natu to C+... (I get the joke people think i complain just to complain but this is a poke i wanted to ask to upvote a long time already and is the most valid one to argue-about that i thought was underrated)
ahh this poke is interesting imo, mostly i see people complaining about how it loses to most hazard users like <Name any rock type with Sturdy+Juice+SR> and Practicaly spreaking almost any SR setter, what it does....
But... natu's natural type makes it already one of the better checks to fight types, grass types(most notably compleatly blocking: cottonee, foongus) and dealing fairly well against other psychic types with strong offencive mixed set or outwalling them + U-turning them to finish them.
Stats:
Enough to go somewhat bulky and enough to go viable offence hitting 17 speed, 16 sp attack and on the offencive set also 13 physical attack with that.
Niche: U-turn, Viable 2 set's being the mixed set and the Bulky set (and maby if you concider the screen set aswell but i am not a fan of screens at all),
Magic bounce what is a thing on it's own, however if the poke wouldn't be viably able to use ,it's not mutch of a use. It does however do a great job with blocking paralysis, Will-O-Wisp and the already explained Spore/Sleep powder users aswell as checking hazards+ Pressuring them with your awairness (or atleast it should, sady i haven't seen that be true at all >.>)
Some Calcs fo those who did love to see them:
Offence:
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Heat Wave vs. 84 HP / 148+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 26-31 (118.1 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 156 HP / 116+ SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-26 (78.2 - 113%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
116 Atk Life Orb Natu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gothita: 18-23 (85.7 - 109.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO (HP Fire goth)
116 Atk Life Orb Natu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gastly: 23-29 (121 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Drifloon: 21-27 (84 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
116 Atk Life Orb Natu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifloon: 23-29 (92 - 116%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Giga Drain vs. 156 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Omanyte: 26-31 (118.1 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Giga Drain vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Shellder: 18-23 (90 - 115%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 140 HP / 52 SpD Eviolite Pancham: 23-31 (92 - 124%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 0 HP / 212 SpD Eviolite Pancham: 18-26 (78.2 - 113%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Archen: 19-23 (82.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
with SR/Hazard calcs:
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 0 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Timburr: 18-26 (75 - 108.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
116 Atk Life Orb Natu Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Gothita: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 124 HP / 160 SpD Eviolite Foongus: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon: 9-13 (34.6 - 50%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 212 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Spritzee: 9-13 (33.3 - 48.1%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Giga Drain vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Chinchou: 21-26 (84 - 104%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Natu Psychic vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Shellder: 16-19 (80 - 95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
Defences:
200+ SpA Adaptability Skrelp Hydro Pump vs. 196 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Natu: 14-18 (60.8 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
116 Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 10-14 (43.4 - 60.8%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ Atk Pancham Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 12-16 (52.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Pumpkaboo-Super Shadow Sneak vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 6-8 (26 - 34.7%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO (lol 0%)
196+ Atk Snubbull Play Rough vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 240 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 196 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Natu: 11-13 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Foongus Sludge Bomb vs. 196 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Natu: 7-9 (30.4 - 39.1%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO
+1 116 Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 16-20 (69.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 116 Atk Guts Timburr Mach Punch vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Natu: 4-6 (17.3 - 26%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

I can't be bothered to list all the resisted grass attacks and fight moves but i named the most treathning once.
All pokes listed above can be 1HKO'd or 2HKO'd(+outspeeds). There is allot more but i just named the most important once.

I actualy saw allot of team support with/from this poke mostly being faster momentum support from the LO set and slow(ish) momentum giving for slower momentum teams.(13-14 speed)
It also because of this more versatile set difference was quite easy to build with.(there also happened to be 2 teams that just wanted Magic Bounce support but i don't include those.)

Remoraid from C- > C

Remoraid can run a very disgusting Mixed Scarf set. Water Spout at full HP is doing crazy damage, and it even has Fire Blast to partner with it, which is extremely rare for water-types. Along with that, it can fire off Hustle-boosted Bullet Seeds and Rock Blasts, if willing to part with accuracy. The unpredictability combined with overall high (but not astounding) damage output allows it to act as one of the better Water Scarfers. You can even run something like Splash Plate or Expert Belt if using it on a webs team (or you're just that daring) for that extra damage.
Outside of repeating some older posts made Months ago. If we're going to finally change lower ranked pokemon why not list these aswell. Remoraid was never actualy moved up, Natu had no negative respond and allot of support to move up, just an unfortunant time of posting.

Last edited:

Rufflet to A

Apart from Honedge, every other pokemon will have a hard time standing up to 'The Superior Bird', Rock and Steel types are of the few traditional Flying checks/counters and this beast waves them off effortlessly with Superpower and Electric types such as Chinchou wouldn't like to be switched into a Return or Superpower boosted by a Bulk Up, not to mention the obvious Hustle boost it gets. Rufflet can also be an effective Flying check due to its access to Rock Slide/Rock Tomb but i personally believe it doesnt needs either of the Rock types moves to check Flying types such as Fletchling.
This beast has great coverage which allows multiple amazing and effective options for sets, the Bulk Up set being the most famous however an LO Rufflet with powerful STABS like Brave Bird and Return can be more threatening. Rufflets access to Shadow Claw lets it deal with its best check/Switchin- Honedge.
If Archen is ranked 'A' then i believe Rufflet should also be up and be recognized as one of the best in this tier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)