Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Agreeing with foongus look corks someone finally agreed with me can it get moved up now pls

I'm going to go ahead and back Diglett up as well. Even though it loses against so many Pokemon, the fact that it is able to completely eliminate key threats from the game with little to no counterplay makes it a phenomenal support Pokemon. The important bit is the lack of counterplay; if Diglett gets in on a specific Pokemon, that Pokemon will not live, because it cannot switch out; this means that even though something like 80% of the metagame beats Diglett, Diglett is still almost always able to perform its job when its job is necessary because it can almost always get rid of the remaining few Pokemon, making it a perfect partner for a multitude of win conditions due to its reliability.
Let me elaborate on just how potent Diglett is when used in conjunction with top tier sweepers. As we all know, Fletchling is an enormous threat right now, but it still suffers from having a ton of checks. Pawniard, Archen, Chinchou, Magnemite, and Tirtouga are all hugely popular and effective Pokemon that can check Fletchling to some extent. Archen is the only one of those that isn't trapped and taken out by Diglett (defensive Tirtouga wins, but is easily worn down to the point where Diglett will be able to eliminate it regardless). Focus Sash Abra is another Pokemon that can be used as a safety net against a possible Fletchling sweep; however, with Diglett, Abra will not hold any utility at all until Fletchling is at +2 because if it comes in earlier, it will be trapped and KOed or brought down to its Sash by Abra, opening up for a Fletchling sweep. Fletchling has been argued as being banworthy; it is of course, still very good without Diglett support, but the fact that so many of its checks and counters are eliminated through the support of only one Pokemon in Diglett is probably what pushes it over the edge. Despite not being a bird, Diglett still finds itself one of the key players in birdspam.
Fletchling isn't the only Pokemon that greatly appreciates Diglett's support, of course. Zigzagoon is an excellent win condition, but it needs quite a bit of support to pull off that clean sweep. It wants Stealth Rock support, Memento support, Pursuit trapping for Misdreavus, and the elimination of Pawniard. Diglett offers no less than three of those. Suppose you want to run Shell Smash Tirtouga with Aqua Jet, but Defensive Chinchou and Croagunk force you to run Earthquake. No need for that; just add a Diglett to your team. Omanyte also finds itself revenge-killed by Croagunk, leaving Diglett the mole for the job. Diglett is pretty much never sweeping a well-built team because it's just too weak, and heaven forbid the use of defensive diglett, but I think it's up to snuff with the other A- pokes purely because of its supportive capabilities.

-----

I don't think I should post twice in such a short period of time so I'm going to edit in my support for Aerow here as well

Sandshrew is definitely comparable to Drilbur in a lot of ways; even though Drilbur is usually better due to its significantly higher speed, Sandshrew still shouldn't be completely discounted. In addition, as sand sweepers, the two are also very comparable; in such a role, Drilbur's higher speed isn't AS notable, and although Drilbur is still more powerful, Sandshrew's greater physical bulk makes up for it by allowing it to take most priority moves more easily; Sandshrew's fast Knock Off also arguably makes it more effective overall in such a role by allowing it to Knock Off a switch-in to pave way for a sweep later in the match, and allows it to support a late-game Drilbur if both are used.

ah look more foongus support guess what that means rowan :0

Darumaka is just incredibly powerful; I've seen it being used and have used it myself a fair bit recently with solid results. Even if the accuracy drop sucks, the sheer power Darumaka brings to the table often makes up for it; it has almost no safe switch-ins, meaning with proper prediction, a kill every time it comes in isn't that far-fetched. Between U-Turn and a nuke in Flare Blitz, simply having Darumaka out will often put a huge amount of pressure on an opponent. I don't know if it should move much higher than that, although B- is certainly plausible, simply because it kills itself so quickly, between a vulnerability to all hazards, a weakness to Stealth Rock, and a reliance on Flare Blitz.

As for Dwebble, I agree that the metagame has adapted really well to it, and it's not as effective anymore. I just don't really like the idea of a suicide lead, as one of the most prominent Pokemon in the metagame, Archen, carries defog; even with Pawniard to discourage defiant, Pawniard will often not get more than one KO from the boost, anyway. Drilbur is another really notable hazard remover, and can also threaten most spin-blockers severely. Even outside of that, as Aerow mentioned, it still has trouble getting more than one layer of hazards up, with the ubiquity of Knock Off and Taunt. This isn't to say Dwebble is wholly ineffective, of course; it can still do its job against certain match-ups, and A- is still fairly good (considering how it's the current rank for Foongus @_@).

Last edited:

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sandshrew D -> C-

Sandshrew may look like it's completely outclassed by Drilbur as a Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock user, but when you take a deeper look, Sandshrew has some things Drilbur doesn't have. First of all, Sandshew hits 19 Defense; this makes Sandshrew extremely bulky, especially since its only weaknesses are mostly Special attacks, which Sandshrew can't take anyway. Sandshrew also has access to Knock Off, which can help teammates out a lot. Sandshrew is like Drilbur, just slower, a tiny bit weaker, specially frailer, and without Mold Breaker, but with its own notable advantages in much better physical bulk and access to one of the best moves in LC, Knock Off. This makes Sandshrew worthy of C- Rank in my opinion.

Foongus A- -> A

Foongus is usually able to shut down a Pokemon for good with Spore, and Regenerator keeps Foongus alive. Foongus also offers a lot of utility outside of that as well. Because of its Poison typing, Foongus can easily deal with Fighting-types, while also hitting Fairy-types like Spritzee hard with STAB Sludge Bomb, both of which are very common types in LC. Basically what Levi said here.

Darumaka > C -> C+ or B-

Darumaka is, thanks to Hustle and a base 90 Attack, a great wallbreaker. It can either use Choice Scarf or, if you want real power, Choice Band. With a Jolly Nature, Darumaka hits 15 Speed, which isn't too bad. Recoil and 0.8x accuracy sucks, but just look at this:

196 Atk Choice Band Hustle Darumaka Flare Blitz vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 22-27 (81.4 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196 Atk Choice Band Hustle Darumaka Superpower vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 30-36 (115.3 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196 Atk Choice Band Hustle Darumaka Superpower vs. 236 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Lickitung: 26-32 (92.8 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Dwebble A -> A-

Access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes is cool and all, but it's just too easy to beat with faster Taunt users such as Mienfoo, which are quite common. You can also easily stop it from setting up anything more than Stealth Rock by simply hitting it with a weaker attack first. Dwebble isn't what it was, and should be either A- or B+ in my opinion, but I guess A- is fine for now.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like to nominate Psyduck to at least D rank, just for the small niche it has of beating or revenging all weather inducers and abusers. With a choice scarf, it can easily revenge kill sand sweepers such as Drilbur and Sandshrew, as well as come in and eliminate sun abusers such as Bellsprout, Oddish, and Sunnybeam Ponyta. Although it has a very situational purpose, and isn't really good outside of that, i think it has just enough to land a spot on the viability rankings.
The whole reasoning behind using Psyduck is Cloud Nine. Lickitung has Cloud Nine but doesn't suck the 90% of the time weather isn't part of the equation.

The whole reasoning behind using Psyduck is Cloud Nine. Lickitung has Cloud Nine but doesn't suck the 90% of the time weather isn't part of the equation.
No shit, with cloud nine and scarf it beats weather pokes which is my point. Weather is part of the equation because that is what it's best at stopping.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
I think you misunderstand me. Here's what I'm saying: You have Lickitung; it shuts down weather sweepers really well(considering its incredible special bulk)AND it can actually stop other Pokemon when weather isn't up. You have Psyduck; it shuts down weather sweepers questionably well(50/48/50 bulk is nothing to celebrate) AND is a worthless piece of shit when weather isn't up. And please don't try to argue that it's good when weather isn't up because it's an effective revenge killer. If I wanted a Choice Scarf revenge killer, there are about a million other Pokemon that do that a lot better.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh. You just keeping posting everywhere about Psyduck, and I think macle made it very clear. It's not good.

You can continue to respond, but seriously I'm done arguing about this.

I think you misunderstand me. Here's what I'm saying: You have Lickitung; it shuts down weather sweepers really well(considering its incredible special bulk)AND it can actually stop other Pokemon when weather isn't up. You have Psyduck; it shuts down weather sweepers questionably well(50/48/50 bulk is nothing to celebrate) AND is a worthless piece of shit when weather isn't up. And please don't try to argue that it's good when weather isn't up because it's an effective revenge killer. If I wanted a Choice Scarf revenge killer, there are about a million other Pokemon that do that a lot better.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh. You just keeping posting everywhere about Psyduck, and I think macle made it very clear. It's not good.

You can continue to respond, but seriously I'm done arguing about this.
I know it's bad but im saying it can revenge weather sweepers and that is why it deserves a spot in D rank. I never said that Psyduck is good outside of weather.

Purrloin C --> C+ I've used Nasty Plot + Copycat Purrloin with Life Orb and let me just say, after 1 or 2 Nasty Plots you can pretty much sweep a team. Nasty Plot, Copycat, Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fighting / Substitute and everything pretty much dies. Except for Mienfoo maybe? If it's offensive Foo, yes. but defensive foo, no. Purrloin is also very good for Encore / T-wave and scouting with U-turn. An offensive set isn't bad too. (Sucker Punch, U-turn, Play Rough, Seed Bomb, Pursuit) are all very good. Purrloin is C+ in my book.

Hippo C --> B
Hippo has very good bulk, rocks, reliable recovery, Sand Stream (which raises its SpDef by 1.5) good attack stat, Whirlwind, and lots of offensive moves. Hippo is very good imo and deserves B.

Amaura B- --> C+
Sure, amaura is decently powerful with Scarf and checks Fletchling pretty nice, but it has a really bad defensive typing. 4x weak to Fighting, Steel, weak to Grass, Water, Rock, Ground, and only resists Ice and Flying (iirc). It's decent offensively, but has lots of weaknesses. To C+ is good for me.

Ferroseed B+ --> A-/A
What can I say? has Spikes, Rocks, T-wave, only has 2 weaknesses, good bulk, good abilities, hits decently hard with Gyro Ball / Bullet Seed, And it kind of checks Fletchling if they don't have overheat. (Even with Overheat I think Overheat is only a 2hko iirc). Ferroseed is just really good and I love it. <3

Foongus A- --> A
Yes. Foongus is great. A is perfect since Tite/Krow are gone. It's only real counter is Fletchling, really. It has good bulk. Reliable recovery with Regenerator + Giga Drain. And the ever so godly 100% accuracy Spore. And it checks Foo pretty solid. It also hits Fairy types really hard and OHKOs Pawniard with HP Fighting. (also this is a little weird but offensive Foongus can do DAMAGE.)

Honedge C --> C
. Imo, Honedge is fine where its at. Has good bulk and SD. But No Guard really hurts it because it only affects Rock Slide, Fury Cutter, and Cut. All moves that Honedge doesn't use. It also gives Fire Blasts and Hydro Pumps 100% accuracy.

Stunky E --> D or C-

Stunky deserves D or C- in my opinion because Defog + Taunt. It also has a powerfu Crunch / Sucker Punch and is a good Pursuit trapper. It beats missy 1 on 1 iirc. It has good HP with solid bulk. Good attack and good moves to use with it. It even gets Fire Blast for Steel types. It's LO set is a hard hitter and it can use Explosion as well to get either a KO or a solid amount of damage on something. It also has a good ability in the form of Aftermath. And I almost forgot. For Support moves it gets Taunt, Torment, Defog, Memento, Haze, Foul Play, & Roar. For offensive moves it gets Crunch, Sucker Punch, Explosion, Fire Blast, Pursuit, Play Rough (I know it can't get it with Sucker Punch). So a very Solid poke at that which is why I want it in either D or C-. Preferrably D.
EDIT: I know that Vullaby does Defog + Taunt better and has Roost.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think Foongus deserves A+ or atleast A. Its typing is seriously good right now, and I find its actually pretty damn hard to kill. Good bulk, cool movepool, great typing, fantastic ability. Not to mention all the types it just absolutely stomps on: Fighting, Water, Fairy, Grass, Ground, Rock... I think running a fire type is damn REQUIRED for this guy, and Foongus can just put it to sleep anyway.

Corporal Levi back me up on this one

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Stunky is way better than D mons, and has more utility than most c mons even just by having a strong sucker punch and pursuit which lets him beat misdreavus most of the time (unless youre bad and let him get burned as he switches in). I might had pushed it too far with b- but its at least c+.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
FINE I'LL MOVE FOONGUS OKAY ARE YOU HAPPY NOW Corporal Levi

other changes

Stunky -> C
Scraggy -> A-
Dwebble -> A-
Ferroseed -> A-
Sandshrew -> C-
moved Darumaka to C+, but I just don't think it's on the same level as the other mons in B-
Moved Amaura back down to C+

Paras and Psyduck moved to D cos they sort of have tiny niches.

Nosepass and Venipede were 2 Pokemon that seem to have been overlooked when the original rankings were made, where should they be?

Things to be discussing:

Hippo: C -> B/B-
Spritzee: A- -> A
Diglett: B+ -> A-
Zigzagoon: B+ -> A-
Abra: A- -> A
Nosepass should be something
Venipede should be something

shoutout to prem for his constant help in co-running this thread

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nosepass deserves to be ranked, even if just D. It's got a couple cool things going for it, like pure-rock typing, SR, and probably most interestingly, Volt Switch.

I think Venipede's lead spikes set with endeavor and sash is worthy of at least D, if not C or C-. It can get up either 2 layers of hazards against most non scarf Mons, or do major damage with Endeavor once it's down to sash. Even if the opposing Pokemon has Berry Juice, procing it can be a great help later in the battle. Unfortunately, I believe it is quite outclassed as a Hazard setter by Dwebble, who has SturdyJuice and a greater offensive presence.

Venipede
: I do believe that Venipede should be in the viability rankings as it works well as a lead with a Focus Sash: It's a nice hazards setter with access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and it also has the ability Speed Boost which makes it play its role even better, it can also learn Endeavor which is a nice move on leads w/ Focus Sash and it can also carry Protect to get a free Speed Boost or Pin Missile. Venipede to D Rank at least.

Nosepass
: Nosepass is also a nice Stealth Rock setter with Sturdy+Berry Juice and a nice Defense stat. It might seem as a weaker version of Onix but it has some stuff that Onix doesn't have like Volt Switch to keep the momentum and most importantly Thunder Wave that gives nice team support. So Nosepass to D Rank at least too.

Hippopotas
: Hippo is the only Pokémon with Sand Stream in the LC metagame but some people think its role stops at only setting up sand, wrong. Hippopotas has also a really nice Defense stat and decent Attack and HP stats, its typing also makes its defensive roles even better as the Ground-type is one of the best defensive types in the metagame. Hippopotas to B- rank since to be honest its relatively low Special Defense stat obstructs it a little bit.

Spritzee
: The best cleric in the metagame at the moment, plays a nice support role aswell with Aromatherapy and Wish passing aswell as high HP stat and decent Defense and SDefense stat that allow it to tank some SE attacks like Iron Head from Pawniard. It also has a respectable Special Attack stat and a wide special moveset. I don't think I should say more, Spritzee should be A Rank.

Zigzagoon
: Used to be looked at as a gimmick at first Zigzagoon became one of the biggest threats in LC as a late game cleaner that some people find a huge difficulty to deal with. With support from other teammates like Memento from Diglett or Cottonee and once its counters are down Zigzagoon finds it easy to set up a Belly Drum and clear the way to victory. Zigzagoon to A- or even A rank.

That's it for now, about Diglett and Abra I don't think they should raise in ranks, I'm not too sure about Abra though as LO Abra is a nice Pokémon but I'll write more about it if needed.

Last edited:
I think Diglett is worthy of A rank because his qualities fit the definition.
A-rank
Reserved for Pokemon that are outstanding in the LC metagame and can sweep, wall, or support the majority of the tier. These Pokemon require less support than other Pokemon to be used effectively and have few flaws that can be overlooked when compared to their outstanding traits.

First of, Diglett perfectly describes the first half of the LC A-rank definition. Diglett is an S-rank support mon for 3 reasons, it's movepool, ability, and speed. Let's start with its supporting moves. Diglett has access to stealth rock, memento, and pursuit all the 3 of these moves are essential for a sweep. Stealth rock guarantees that any switch will be lose health, and with sturdyjuice running around that automatically bypasses it's nonsense. Next is memento, memento allows it to sacrifice itself to cut in half the offense stats of the targeted pokemon. This is basically a plus 2 move. Once diglett serves it purpose, it becomes death fodder. This allows it to fodder itself in exchange for a free switch and a weakened opponent. This is allows the likes of sweepers such as omanyte, fletchling, and most notably zigzagoon decimate the opposition. Lastly, diglett can pick of weakened ghost types such as Misdreveaus and eliminate them with pursuit.

Next, Diglett continues to be a good candidate as a support mon because of it's ability being in Arena Trap. This is wonderful, because it eliminates one key aspect in the game: prediction. As soon as diglett comes it's 1v1 and any grounded pokemon is trapped. Their are over 150 pokemon in Little Cup, and only 31 of them are not trapped. This means that Diglett can support the majority of the tier.

Now, its speed. Diglett falls in the 20 speed tier. Meaning no legal LC pokemon is faster then it and only voltorb, elekid, speed tie with it.

These 3 quality traits in speed, ability, and movepool automatically make diglett an S rank support pokemon.

Secondly, Diglett describes the second half of the LC definition. The only form of support Diglett needs is hazard removal, and with viable hazard removers its not hard finding a viable one. With hazard control, Diglett can always keep his sash and always effectively does his job. Diglett has 2 flaws in lack of attack, and horrible bulk, but this can definitely be overlooked by his outstanding traits such as his speed, ability, and movepool.

Score: First half 50/50 Outstanding in supporting the majority of the tier.
Second half 45/50 Only requires hazard control, and overlooks his negative traits.

Diglett does fit the A rank definition and is worthy of it.

Last edited:
Hippo should definitely be B. It's bulky as fuck, being almost impossible to 2HKO with a good ev spread. Sand is also really cool with one or both of Drilbur or Sandshrew.

Also agreeing with Spritzee for A. Its really bulky, and Fairy is an awesome defensive typing. It is the best cleric in the meta atm, although Lickitung is better suited for certain teams. It also hits reasonably hard with STAB Moonblast.

Zig destroys teams once missy is gone and rocks/steels are slightly weakened. A-.

Diglett is the best trapper and best offensive support mon in the meta. Also A-.

Nosepass for C/C- for the reasons I gave in my previous post.

Never used Venipede, but it has a usable niche, so D I guess.

Abra should stay where it is. Sure it hits like a truck, but it dies to pretty much anything that can live an attack (most things with Eviolite). It's also extremely vulnerable to priority and anything faster than it.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Venipede for D
Something about suicide leads just rub me the wrong way. Things like Dwebble and Surskit are decent at their job, I guess, but they outclass Venipede aside from Endeavor. Speed Boost is a nifty ability, and Sash/Endeavor is cool, but unless you have a hard-on for Toxic Spikes, just use Dwebble.

Nosepass for C-
Nosepass is really nifty. Great defenses, Stealth Rock, awesome utility in Magic Coat, Taunt, and Thunder Wave, and cool attacks in Rock Blast, Elemental Punches, and Earthquake make Nosepass a decent Stealth Rock setter. It isn't the best at what it does, but it is certainly useful enough for C- rank.

ALL OF THESE ARE MY OPINION

Spritzee A- rank --> A rank WHY: Spritzee has the all annoying type of fairy.Even though pawniard is very high in usage(just bring a chack/counter) this tank is still very good. Fairy typing is one of the best typings in LC and spritzee is one of the best. Spritzee surpasses many tanks in LC and makes LC stall more viable evven though stall is risky and sometimes a waste. This perfume dispenser does not mess around with its bulkiness and wish passing skills. Moonblast is a great STAB fairy move that can make your stall longer with its 20% chance to lower your opponent's special attk. This means that even if misdreavus wants to setup on you, u can nerf its special attk at a very good chance with moonblast. Plus, spritzee could do more than just wish pass and attk , you could run a calm mind set or a toxic stall set. Both are very viable. It really depends on what your team needs.

Diglett B+ rank --> A- rank WHY: As before on my post on page 38. Great revenge killer, sweeper setup with memento, trapping,and rock setter, this thing may not be a sweeper,but it does not make its usefullness fall back. Overall, diglett is a big threat to this metagame. Thanks to Corporal Levi for pointing more things about diglett's usefullness.

Zigzagoon should stay at B+ WHY: Zigzagoon does have the great belly drum and extreemespeed combo,but sometimes it's not worth the risk.You have to have a memento user like cottonee and diglett to help zig get that +6 attk boost. Most times it works, but most times it will fail. Most misdreavus carry will-owisp which will cripple this thing to +3 and zig cant kill missy with thief (eviolite missy). Zigzagoon's strategy is either hit or miss. Always use this strategy at the right time when the threats to zig are killed but, it can be hard to preserve those memento users.

Nosepass --> C rank WHY: Much like The Avalanches said, nosepass is a very tanky poke on both sides(which is really rare) and is very annoying with its movepool including magic coat and stealth rocks. This thing may look ugly, but much like spritzee, it will annoy you. Too bad all the S rankers except fletchling can all be a counter and check to nosepass and they all have high usage making nosepass is less viable.

Last edited:
Darumaka C+ ==> B Rank WHY: Daruamaka is usually overlooked as scarfer or a wallbreaker, due to its high risk high reward ability hustle, making most of its attacks 80% accuracy or lower, while gaining a Choice band's worth of power increase. Most people wouldn't risk this 1/5th chance of missing just to nuke everything, but the fact is, a nuke is a nuke, no matter how risky or how safely you have to play it sometimes. It forces a ton of switches, has an amazing stab, and superb coverage. Screw the stone miss and the focus miss chances of missing, cause if played well, this mon is easily one of the hardest hitters in the tier, so it should be B rank at the least.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Snivy for D/C-
Snivy learns dual screens and Taunt while reaching 17 Speed. This means it's fast enough to tie with leads such as Onix and Surskit while outspeeding slower ones like Dwebble. It packs a powerful Leaf Storm which OHKOes both Drilbur and defensive Tirtouga (and a whole lot more once Contrary is released). It also can use Knock Off and Magic Coat, making it a useful utility screener which can stand up to a few common leads.

Chespin: Unranked=>C+

Chespin is a severely underrated mon atm. It's mono-grass typing, good bulk, and reliable recovery allow it to check water/ground/rock types like Drilbur and Chinchou. However, Chespin's usefulness goes even farther than than. It's ability, Bulletproof, provides key immunities to ball and bomb moves, allowing Chespin to counter most grass types (notably Foongus)/Ghastly and check some Missy variants. Chespin learns Spikes too, and generally can find the free turns to set them against most teams. Unlike other spikers, such as Trubbish, Chespin hard counters the most prominent spinner, Drilbur, so it can usually keep at least 1 layer up. Overall, I feel like Chespin deserves C+ for its ability to support its team well by handling certain mons insanely well and setting spikes, but no higher as it does require some support itself.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chespin: Unranked=>C+

Chespin is a severely underrated mon atm. It's mono-grass typing, good bulk, and reliable recovery allow it to check water/ground/rock types like Drilbur and Chinchou. However, Chespin's usefulness goes even farther than than. It's ability, Bulletproof, provides key immunities to ball and bomb moves, allowing Chespin to counter most grass types (notably Foongus)/Ghastly and check some Missy variants. Chespin learns Spikes too, and generally can find the free turns to set them against most teams. Unlike other spikers, like Trubbish, Chespin beats the most prominent spinner, Drilbur, so it can usually keep at least 1 layer up. Overall, I feel like Chespin deserves C+ for its ability to support its team well by handling certain mons insanely well and setting spikes, but no higher as it does require some support itself.
Show them the replays!!!

Also, I agree. Chespin is a hard stop to many common Pokemon, and is specifically the hard answer to Drilbur that this metagame needs.

I agree with ZoroarkForever and TCR . Chespin is a formidable opponent against misdreavus and other common threats in this metagame. The only thing that hinders its usefullness and ability bulletproof is the amount of usage of fletchling. That immediately makes everyone thinks chespin is bad in their opinion. It walls a lot of ghost types and some poison types because of its very good ability bulletproof. Since sludge bomb and shadow ball are common moves with these types of pokes, chespin can have an easy switch in to- for example- misdreavus and gastly( And mega gengar lol!)Also, chespin does have a good movepool to work with. Having good STABS like seed bomb and coverage moves like stone edge and utility moves like spikes and taunt. Chespin does not mess around !!!
Chespin does deserves at least a C+ rank.

upload_2014-7-25_10-49-45.png
U MAD BRO???!!!!

Last edited:
Its also worth noting that chespin can learn belly drum and can function as a sweeper under the right circumstances. I agree he is underrated and could fit nicely in C+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)