Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So what issues do you have with the list? It seems like all you did was just repeat some things I said and explain the Pokemon that I didn't really know what they did. Thank you for explaining those Pokemon though.

I don't really understand what you're saying for Foongus or Psyduck. Like I said for Karrablast, Shelmet, Stunky, and Venipede, I didn't really know what they did so anything would be fine.
My complaints were all mostly stating what all the mons you listed did in the meta. But i had larger complaints which i've compiled below.

The excerpt i took out of your explanation of Foongus didnt make much sense to me.

(with its wide range of moves including Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power [Fighting]. Add on Regenerator and Giga Drain)

It doesnt have a wide range of moves it can run to be frank but here are it's other options i think are notable.
HP Fight isnt the only HP it can run. It can run Ground (Magnemite) and Fire (Ferroseed / Enemy Foongus)
Clear Smog is still an option to deal with set up sweepers who arent afraid of being statused by you.
Stun Spore is an intergral part of the Double Powder strategy along with Spore to Sleep one mon, then incapacitate the switch in.

Also another nitpick on your Foongus thingy

(The only way to is to have Spritzee, Vullaby, or a Grass-type, and in Spritzee's case the sleep isn't countered until it can get it and use Aromatherapy.)

Spritzee isnt immune to Spore, Also what is Vullaby doing to undo the sleep? It doesnt get Heal Bell / Aroma. At least Grass Types are both immune and can dispel it. I know what you're trying to say but you should word it that way.

Moving on to the other thing

Psyduck is a really odd thing. I decided to calc things and see what turned up.

Lets say that Vulpix / Purrloin / Cottonee set up sun, How would Psyduck fair against them?

236+ SpA Psyduck Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Vulpix: 26-32 (130 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Psyduck Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Purrloin: 10-14 (50 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 116 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Cottonee: 10-14 (45.4 - 63.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

You got me there. If Scarf it outspeeds them all and 2HKOs but it risks being paralyzed and useless to do anything else.

If not well Psyduck is hitting 15 speed and is 2hko'd by Energy Ball and Giga Drain (from Vulpix / Cottonee respectively) but in return it's heavily damaging them.

EDIT: If anything im just being nitpicky :U

My complaints were all mostly stating what all the mons you listed did in the meta. But i had larger complaints which i've compiled below.

The excerpt i took out of your explanation of Foongus didnt make much sense to me.

(with its wide range of moves including Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power [Fighting]. Add on Regenerator and Giga Drain)

It doesnt have a wide range of moves it can run to be frank but here are it's other options i think are notable.
HP Fight isnt the only HP it can run. It can run Ground (Magnemite) and Fire (Ferroseed / Enemy Foongus)
Clear Smog is still an option to deal with set up sweepers who arent afraid of being statused by you.
Stun Spore is an intergral part of the Double Powder strategy along with Spore to Sleep one mon, then incapacitate the switch in.

Also another nitpick on your Foongus thingy

(The only way to is to have Spritzee, Vullaby, or a Grass-type, and in Spritzee's case the sleep isn't countered until it can get it and use Aromatherapy.)

Spritzee isnt immune to Spore, Also what is Vullaby doing to undo the sleep? It doesnt get Heal Bell / Aroma. At least Grass Types are both immune and can dispel it. I know what you're trying to say but you should word it that way.

Moving on to the other thing

Psyduck is a really odd thing. I decided to calc things and see what turned up.

Lets say that Vulpix / Purrloin / Cottonee set up sun, How would Psyduck fair against them?

236+ SpA Psyduck Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Vulpix: 26-32 (130 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Psyduck Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Eviolite Purrloin: 10-14 (50 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 116 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Cottonee: 10-14 (45.4 - 63.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

You got me there. If Scarf it outspeeds them all and 2HKOs but it risks being paralyzed and useless to do anything else.

If not well Psyduck is hitting 15 speed and is 2hko'd by Energy Ball and Giga Drain (from Vulpix / Cottonee respectively) but in return it's heavily damaging them.

EDIT: If anything im just being nitpicky :U
Vullaby gets overcoat as an ability, protecting it from powder based moves like spore and stun spore

And that seems like a pretty impressive list I will give my thoughts on the pokes mentioned later

I'm gonna make an argument for this little guy to move up to B-/C+ range:

There's a little bit of discussion from a post on hidden gems in LC starting here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/hidden-gems-in-lc.3512222/page-2#post-5639918

My current set:

Litleo (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
Level: 5
EVs: 100 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpA / 84 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hyper Voice
- Overheat

With sticky web support he outspeeds most everything, can switch into Misdreavus for free, and hits common switchins hard:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Litleo Overheat vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Litleo Hyper Voice vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chinchou: 15-18 (60 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This current set can also tank Pawniard's knock off (without defiant boost) Fletchling's Acrobatics after Stealth Rock, and Corphish's Aqua Jet before Stealth Rock. It's bulk gives it an advantage over other fire specials Vulpix and Houndour, though it isn't the largest of advantages.

Other sets being discussed include switching Dark Pulse for HP Rock for Archen or HP grass for Tirtouga, or even will-o-wisp for crippling them and switching out.

Also, being practically never seen in LC, it has the advantage of the fact that few people know exactly how much damage this guy can put out. I expect this to fade in time, especially since I'm posting it here

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
I disagree with this movement wholeheartedly.

If we're gonna go around throwing calcs, at least use the right EV spreads.

252 SpA Choice Specs Litleo Overheat vs. 156 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
196+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Corphish Aqua Jet vs. 100 HP / 52 Def Litleo: 26-31 (108.3 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Litleo is slow, needs a crap ton of support, can give sweepers free turns with choiced non-sun boosted overheats and missy in the case of hyper voice, and is overall outclassed as a specially offensive fire-type by vulpix and houndour.

Yes it does check non-HP fight misdreavus, but I'd rather spend a teamslot on something actually worthwhile and not this. I could possibly see this in C- but honestly has little use outside of POSSIBLY checking misdreavus, which other, more viable pokes do well enough already. (Side note: Missy's prolly gonna go soon anyways so that makes this even less necessary)

Well I know this is kinda long, but I haven't been posting here and there have been many Pokemon talked about. Some of them I had a lot to say about, and some very little. But here is all my opinions from the last long time lol. I'll try to keep up and post as we go from now on instead haha.

And yes I know, late! Late, late, late. I got it. Thanks.
Amaura
- It is just weak to way to many types. It doesn't have much it can do either to give it an effective niche. It's a cool Pokemon and I like it, but it is bad. No B rank, please. C or C- rank please.

Chespin - Hype hype. Okay you guys hyped it enough so I won't say anything really. C- please.
Chikorita - I don't really like it all the much. I always feel like GameFreak has been a little mean to Grass-types, and especially Chikorita. Not much coverage, not great support moves. If anything I think it should be D rank at best, and definitely no higher.
Cubone - Cubone is one of those Pokemon that has the potential to be great, but is let down by one stat. While it has massive Atatck due to its Thick Club, it is hindered by its dismal speed. Since it holds the Thick Club it can't hold Berry Juice or Eviolite, so it can't take many hits either (although it can take a couple weak ones on the physical side), and since it has low Speed it will often be hit before attacking. It is also let down by the prevalence of Knock Off in the tier. If its Thick Club is knocked off it becomes weak offensivly and frail defensivly, as well as being slow. If it had more Speed and could outspeed more things without being hit, I would definitely put it high up. However, I think it is suited well in C-, because it needs a great deal of support to take out faster threats and opponents with priority.
Clamperl - I have to say that this should stay in C. While if it sets up it can hit like a truck or two, it just has trouble setting up due to not having an Eviolite or Berry Juice. Also, Clamperl's strength is greatly hindered by the priority in the tier, particularly Fletchling, and lack of a priority move itself. With -1 defenses and no Eviolite, Clamperl is not going to be sticking around very long. Clamperl also suffers the same dreadful fate as Cubone as well, in that it is entirely reliant on its item. If it gets knocked off (and survives the hit lol) it becomes extremely weak for a Shell Smasher and basically useless. I think its massive Special Attack is enough to give it a place in C, but any higher would be overdoing it a bit in my opinion since it is checked by way to many Pokemon.
Darumaka - Darumaka is very similar to Cranidos in that it spams high powered moves, and it even uses Hustle to hit extremely hard. Not many Pokemon can take and not much can take a STAB, Hustle Flare Blitz. I think that C+ suits it well, just due to the fact that accuracy lets it down along with recoil damage.
Ferroseed - Ferroseed should be B+ or A- in my opinion, but I really think B+. It is great at getting up hazards, and it generally gets up Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes against non-Fighting-type Pokemon, but unfortunately Mienfoo is the most common lead right now and absolutely wrecks Ferroseed. It has no way to heal besides Leech Seed as well, and this really makes it vulnerable in the long run. Also, while it excels at getting up hazards, it lacks a large offensive presence. While it can hurt Ground and Rock-types, it can't do anything against other types. It becomes set up fodder, although it does have Thunder Wave to support the team. I really think moving it out of A- and into B+ is the right move for Ferroseed.
Foongus - I am on board with Levi for this one. I think Foongus should definitely be A, and even A+ is not out of the realm of possibility in my mind. Foongus' access to Spore is invaluable, as sleep is so hard to counter for most teams. If you can send an opponent to sleep, you are helping one of your teammates out greatly, as it doesn't have to worry about that Pokemon checking it. And like I said, most teams can't counter sleep. The only way to is to have Spritzee, Vullaby, or a Grass-type, and in Spritzee's case the sleep isn't countered until it can get it and use Aromatherapy. Along with its valuable Spore, it is also very bulky, and its typing allows it to resist some great types like Fighting, which are everywhere. It also checks a lot of common Pokemon like Tirtouga, Magnemite, Chinchou, Carvanha, and Cottonee with its wide range of moves including Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power [Fighting]. Add on Regenerator and Giga Drain and it has the longevity that most Pokemon only dream about. In my opinion, this bulk, ability to check a wide range of range Pokemon, and Spore make it deserving of A, and even A+ (even with Fletchling being everywhere).
Hippopotas - I think it s both very good and bad at the same time. While it sets up Stealth Rocks well and sand for sand teams, it just lacks in other areas. It isn't to threatening offensively, and it becomes underwhelming defensively after having its Eviolite knocked off, which isn't hard to do with something like Mienfoo. However, it does have Slack Off which is a plus. I think B rank suits it well, as it has stuff it does, but it isn't exceptionally great at them.
Ponyta - Ponyta is a great Pokemon, and I think it every bit deserves to stay A-. It can take two hits from Knock Off by Pawniard, so it can just Morning Sun and fish for a Flame Body burn. Just that is a great quality in my opinion. It can use Will-O-Wisp to spread burns if you aren't happy with the 30% chance of Flame Body too. Flare Blitz hits extremely hard, and with Sunny Day it is powered up even further (including 75% healing from Morning Sun). Just the healing, burn spreading, speed, and power of Ponyta make it easily worthy of A- rank, even though it is weak to Stealth Rock.
Shelmet - No. Weak. D rank. Thank you. (EDIT: It was pointed out to me that it is actually a good Fighting-type check, so C- I guess. I don't know, it just looks like it sucks to me.
Teddiursa - I don't really know about this one. I feel like it has potential to be okay, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure. D or C- in my opinion.
Chespin: I see this as a shelmet with interesting ability along with that typing, but shelmet spikes easier and has momentum with bpass, C- def.

Chikorita - Its a defensive grass type, so it just needs its stab and 3 support moves, such as synthesis and dual screens which are great for support moves.
Cubone - C+, while it can't run scarf or else it'd be weak as shit, its coverage is awesome, and it has decent physical bulk and a nice stab. 14 speed outspeeds defensive mons and speed ties with 15 maxers with neutral nature.
Clamperl - you can make a case for b-, nothing is switching in aside from ferroseed/chinchou and sub makes it very easy to play the low risk game considering it forces switches. HP fire neuters ferroseed, and if hp grass chou is losing bj for next time. Also you'r forgetting about rattled and its decent bulk, which made eviolite a possibly viable option, which means it can tank a acrobatics from fletchling, kill it, and maybe be healthy enough to SS late game. Its sashbra with bulk>nearly nothing can OHKO you and you can run sub.
Darumaka -idk how you cannot give this B- at least. It is a nuke, and hustle is only an issue if you feel the need to spam u-turn again after you force a switch and miss, nothing likes switching into this, and most of its moves give stone edge accuracy with hustle, and if you've ever run stone edge, then you'd see darumaka is high risk high reward. It has awesome coverage and one of the best offensive typings along with a high hp stat to help handle flare blitz recoil.
Ferroseed - Mienfoo since its inception has always been the top lead in LC, I don't understand your point. Ferroseed is a pivot with massive bulk to deal with knock off spam, and has leech seed for semi reliable coverage and damage, t-wave always makes it not set up bait to mons not named scraggy, and it can find a lot of times to put up SR or even spike stack. A- or A its typing alone allows it to anti lead missy, drilbur, defensive tirtouga, fletchling, and basically any mon that isn't a fire type, its guaranteed SR.
Hippopotas - No, hippo is a physically wall even without eviolite. + 72 base attack is not weak, especially with a stab eq to abuse it, even univested its far from weak. While I agree with it for b, as it has its flaws, pls aron don't theorymon a physical wall so poorly as to say knock off ruins it. Its bulk is nearly the same as spritzee's. Knock off had the same affect last gen, but that didn't stop it. Maybe it has to switch in more to put up sand therefore taking hits, but snover was incredibly popular to stop sand.
Ponyta - I've used ponyta extensively on one of my best teams this meta, and it has been incredibly appealing, yet just the same crappy, which is why I believe it should be B+. It has a strong stab, an amazing ability, and reliable recovery, but all these can also be a burden. If flame body doesn't kick in and SR is up, mienfoo/scarf knock offing pawniard win, and that stab makes it SR weak on top of it all, Offensive sets are easy to revenge kill cause ponyta isn't strong enough to overwhelm every bulky mon under sun, and fletchling is there to ruin LOs day. its a good back up threat to mons, but neds enough support to be B+.
Shelmet - Test. a. mon. b4. you. call. it. shit. Shelmet is an undervalued mon, with a fully physically defensive set it walls fighters not named bu timburr, even without eviolite. And spike stacks on them, or bping out to gain momentum. You can go acid armor no attacks or bug buzz/hp flying but the fact remains, it walls a ton of shit. If it keeps its eviolite, a specially defensive set can wall foongus and spike stack it, since it has overcoat (sludge bomb 4HKOs), and with SR in play it can be an issue, but it still needs no eviolite to fail. Not to mention it synergies well with tenta,ferroseed, and drilbur, all which can give RS support SR support, or both. Also yawn to pseudo phaze.
Teddiursa - C cause nice late game sweeper if it can pull off an SD, not much else to say. If dcae wasn't dead he'd show replays of it in gen 5 (would do pretty much the same things or more cause more knock off)

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
B- is a pretty big stretch, but I honestly don't see why Litleo can't be C- or C alongside similarly niche mons such as Meowth and Sandshrew. 62/58/54 defenses are by no means fantastic, but they're comparable to Ponyta's and a notch above fellow special hard hitters Vulpix's or Houndour's. 73 SpA is pretty good, especially when backed by immensely powerful STAB attacks in Fire Blast and Overheat, and 72 Spe is still fairly fast, although not especially so, on par with Mienfoo and Archen. If we compare Litleo and Houndour, Houndour has enormous advantages in Sucker Punch and Destiny Bond; however, Litleo's superior bulk actually helps a fair bit.
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Litleo: 15-18 (68.1 - 81.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196+ Atk Timburr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Litleo: 14-18 (63.6 - 81.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
196+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Litleo: 20-24 (90.9 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Litleo: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Houndour: 22-27 (104.7 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196+ Atk Timburr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Houndour: 20-26 (95.2 - 123.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
196+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Houndour: 28-36 (133.3 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Houndour: 32-38 (152.3 - 180.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I'm not saying Litleo is better than or even as good as Houndour, of course; a STAB 80 base power priority move is just really good, Pursuit is excellent for putting specific Pokemon in a checkmate position, and Destiny Bond helps against the things Houndour can't OHKO. However, Litleo's superior bulk alone (in addition to being able to hit Houndour neutrally with a STAB attack :)))))))))) means it's not entirely outclassed, and I think it's effective enough at its role to warrant a spot above D, even if only slightly.

Also supporting Corphish to B; it's an incredible partner for offensive Water-types by luring in shared checks and smacking them with Knock Off, preventing them from walling a Tirtouga or Carvanha later on. If the opponent doesn't have these checks, then Corphish becomes even more potent, being able to dish out ridiculously powerful Crabhammers with impunity, while revenge-killing a variety of weakened sweepers with Aqua Jet. Eviolite Corphish has the bulk to avoid OHKOs from most non-super effective special attacks and hit back hard, allowing it to serve as a soft check to a variety of threats on an offensive team, while being even more potent against defensive teams, since anything that doesn't resist Crabhammer is 2HKOed. Life Orb Corphish and Choice Band Corphish have their own advantages; in particular, Choice Band Corphish is able to OHKO even defensive Mienfoo more often than not with Crabhammer after Stealth Rock. Although Corphish's low stats can somewhat hamper it, its ridiculous strengths should not be overlooked.

Vulpix to B+ is another proposal I agree with. It's sort the centrepiece of an entire archetype (which even got suspect votes @_@), already giving it a very notable niche. On top of that, Vulpix is able to take advantage of its own ability quite well, with a Choice Specs set 2HKOing just about everything that doesn't resist Fire Blast and some things that do, and even Heat Rock and Choice Scarf sets doing heavy damage to anything that isn't a special wall.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
changes

vulpix: B -> B+

cranidos, corphish, taillow: B- -> B

Solosis, snivy, wailmer: unranked -> D

Sandshrew: C- -> C

Remoraid: unranked -> C

Litleo: unranked -> C-

also updated the 'smog frog' rank if anyone cares

Also requesting that bronzor and pineco get moved down to the smog frog rank, both are really outclassed and why would you ever use them?

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also requesting that bronzor and pineco get moved down to the smog frog rank, both are really outclassed and why would you ever use them?
I won't miss either of them. They're both pieces of tasty set up bait.

Also, can someone explain to me why Pineco got like 3% usage before last month?

Keep pineco in D-it has a niche in spikes+rapid spin+screens, and can also boom.

Totally agree with bronzor tho.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Idk Bronzor is kinda cool as a fletchling check with heatproof. Endure + BJ is really cool and annoying, so you don't have to rely on things like hazards to get down to berry juice level. It has tons of support options as well. IDK what really "outclasses" it to make it smogfrog rank again? steel typingis still good, even if it is half psychic, as well as 2 excellent abilities in Heatproof and a fantastic movepool. Seriously though could you explain how it is "outclassed?"

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
I don't really think that Remoraid should be C rank. I think it should really be D, or C- at best. Frillish is C rank, and it does the same thing Remoraid but better due to having Trick. This means that Remoraid can't be C rank too.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't really think that Remoraid should be C rank. I think it should really be D, or C- at best. Frillish is C rank, and it does the same thing Remoraid but better due to having Trick. This means that Remoraid can't be C rank too.
Um I didn't realize Frillish got Fire Blast, Seed Bomb and Rock Blast or that it had Hustle as an ability. Sure, Frillish can run a bulky attacker set but it's not going to have the sheer power and diversity that Remoraid can achieve. Plus, Frillish is weak to the omnipresent Knock Off.

Aaron's Aron

Um I didn't realize Frillish got Fire Blast, Seed Bomb and Rock Blast or that it had Hustle as an ability. Sure, Frillish can run a bulky attacker set but it's not going to have the sheer power and diversity that Remoraid can achieve. Plus, Frillish is weak to the omnipresent Knock Off.
I was talking about Scarf + Water Spout... What set are you talking about lol?

doomsday doink

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was talking about Scarf + Water Spout... What set are you talking about lol?
I'm talking about any set that either of them run. Frillish isn't limited to Scarf + Water Spout; it can run a fantastic defensive set with WilloWisp, Scald and Recover. Remoraid isn't limited to Scarf + Water Spout either. It can easily run a mixed LO set or fire of a better move with a Choice Scarf due to its movepool. Also, you didn't mention anything about Scarf + Water Spout in your previous post, you just said Remoraid didn't have access to Trick.

Aaron's Aron

I'm talking about any set that either of them run. Frillish isn't limited to Scarf + Water Spout; it can run a fantastic defensive set with WilloWisp, Scald and Recover. Remoraid isn't limited to Scarf + Water Spout either. It can easily run a mixed LO set or fire of a better move with a Choice Scarf due to its movepool. Also, you didn't mention anything about Scarf + Water Spout in your previous post, you just said Remoraid didn't have access to Trick.
Fair enough. But I still think that while it is good, it doesn't quite have the stuff to be quite as good as Frillish. It has Ice Beam, and while not as good as Fire Blast is still good. I think Remoraid should be C-, but if you think C then alright.

doomsday doink

Fair enough. But I still think that while it is good, it doesn't quite have the stuff to be quite as good as Frillish. It has Ice Beam, and while not as good as Fire Blast is still good. I think Remoraid should be C-, but if you think C then alright.
Remoraid gets Ice Beam too. I'm not arguing for it to be anywhere, because I kinda like to stay out of the rankings of mons in the viability thread (I'll run A-mons and D-mons on the same team so idc about the rank). I just don't think saying that Frillish and Remoraid have the same job is the truth and saying that Frillish is better for sweeping is definitely not the case.

doomsday doink

you guys are forgetting about hustle sets, which can catch people by surprise.
I mentioned the Hustle set but Aaron is focused on only talking about Scarf + Water Spout, which is like saying Scraggy and Croagunk have the same job because they both learn Drain Punch.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Forgive me, for I've been dead and recently came back to the LC metagame, but I've been using Remoraid and I believe it is fair in C. It should also be considered for C+.

Remoraid is a diverse pokemon that can cause havoc to many teams, it excels in wall-breaking and has an outstanding movepool that consists of Water Spout, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Seed Bomb, Rock Blast, and Psychic. It's ability, Hustle, allows it to smash foes and hit surprisingly hard. It can be used as a strong revenge-killer, with use of it's Choice Scarf sets.

The main problems with this pokemon are its frailty, if it is not able to kill it's target it will most likely die, and hazards take away some of the power of Water Spout, which is remoraid's bread and butter. It does like some support, perhaps a defogger or a spinner, which might take up a pokemon slot.

I find this pokemon to be a useable Scarfsweeper/wallbreaker that can revenge kill a wide majority of the cast and in tandem Stealth Rocks and Spikes will outspeed and OHKO the wide majority of the cast. I believe that it could be placed in C+, but will be content with C.

Also I'd like to say how well it handles Pawniards.

Scarf Remoraid outspeeds Scarf Pawniard and is able to OHKO it with Fire Blast and Water Spout. It also has the ability to survive a Sucker Punch.

Calcs for fun~
236+ SpA Remoraid Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Pawniard: 24-30 (114.2 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Remoraid: 16-19 (80 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Starly for D Rank: Having both Brave Bird and Double Edge as strong STAB moves and Reckless as an awesome ability that boosts them make it a great scarfer, it can also use U-Turn to keep up the momentum and use Pursuit as a filler to trap some stuff or Steel Wing to hurt Rock-types that may wall it instead.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But why would you want to use Starly over Fletchling? Fletchling has priority Flying STAB which is super clutch, and in general is more threatening. It also has Overheat to handle Steel-types like Ferroseed and the rarer Honedge. It doesn't really seem worth it over Fletch, who is basically the ultimate revenge killer in LC and can revenge kill a lot without a Choice item (or better yet, no item at all). It also seems outclassed by Taillow who has Guts Facade and much better Speed, not to mention the mighty Boomburst. Starly just seems badly outclassed as a bird. It may be cute, but it's not winning against Fletchling in terms of looks because Fletchling itself is a cutie. I just can't really see what Staly has that even merits D Rank, which is kind of a shame because I like the Starly line.

But why would you want to use Starly over Fletchling? Fletchling has priority Flying STAB which is super clutch, and in general is more threatening. It also has Overheat to handle Steel-types like Ferroseed and the rarer Honedge. It doesn't really seem worth it over Fletch, who is basically the ultimate revenge killer in LC and can revenge kill a lot without a Choice item (or better yet, no item at all). It also seems outclassed by Taillow who has Guts Facade and much better Speed, not to mention the mighty Boomburst. Starly just seems badly outclassed as a bird. It may be cute, but it's not winning against Fletchling in terms of looks because Fletchling itself is a cutie. I just can't really see what Staly has that even merits D Rank, which is kind of a shame because I like the Starly line.
Fletchling being better than Starly (which I agree with) doesn't mean Starly shouldn't be at all in the viability rankings, which means Fletchling should have a better ranking than it. I'm not asking that Starly should be S rank like Fletchling is I'm only saying that Starly can actually be used and should be mentioned and if you take a look at the viability rankings you can see some Pokémon that are outclassed by other but they're at least D rank.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You wouldn't even want to use Starly over Doduo. They have the same damage out put with Brave Bird, Doduo is faster, has more bulk, access to KnocK Off, and the same typing. The only thing Starly has to its name is U-turn. That being said, Feltchling makes a better RKer, Doduo better complements Bird spam, Taillow has more speed + more sets + more powerful Facade. I personally find no reason to use it on any (serious) team I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)