Tournament LCPL Power Raynkings with Coach Ray

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
upload_2015-6-22_14-12-17.png

POWER RAYNKINGS w/ COACH RAY

“Week 1 is just around the corner and there’s already drama? I’m telling you they don’t write books like this folks! It’s time for Power Raynkings with Coach Ray. Today I have a very special guest, Tom Nondescrepitlastname to help me commentate on yesterday’s draft.”

“Coach Ray thanks for having me and let me tell you you are right, they seriously don’t write books like this because the only Pokemon literature out there is fan fiction.”

“Thanks for the observation, Tom.This is turning out to be an exciting season already, and not just because we had our last season wrap up like three months ago.”

“Of course Ray, but you know what they say, all’s well that ends well, and boy did that last one end well. Vermillion going for the three way and toppling all of Rowan himself, Rowan’s team, and Rowan’s massive ego in one moment will go down in HIStory. The Tirtougas showed a commanding season and I hear they’re back again! With that in mind, I think it’s time to get to the analysis to kick off this season of everyone’s favorite mix of high school popularity contests and fantasy Little Cup.”

“Well Tom, I’m not sure anyone wants to hear about your Little Cup fantasies, but I couldn’t agree more!”

—————————————————

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Tirtougas
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 88.2/100 (1st)

Lineup Depth: 58.2/65
Management: 21/25
Ghosting Ability: 9/10

The lineup: lasagne / sweep / flcl / galbia / sam / -tsunami- / tomohawk / anty / 49 / nails / thecrystalonix / john76 / d4rr3n / boufallant / nova / metaphysical / anttya / innovamania)

“Let me ask ya a question, Tom. Look at all those gods on one team.”

“Ray, that wasn’t a question but I see exactly where you’re going with that point. Sweep’s 7-1 performance last SPLC was pivotal to the TIrtouga’s win and I think he’s ready to be a big part of this tournament too. Let’s not forget Galbia’s tendency to deliver stellar performances, including 4-0 in the previous SPLC.”

“As far as management goes, Macle has a unique way of motivating people to work, and we can’t quite place what that is. Either way, Macle was one of the only managers last season who played and went positive rather than just breaking even or having a losing record.”

“Perhaps more importantly though, Tom, is that Macle has built a large lineup of all around solid players who have demonstrated some ability to show up in large tournaments. And he did it all for a good investment.”

“That’s right. This lineup is not only tied for the longest, but also is tied for the most number of people on the team."

“Tom, I thought of an actual question this time which is this: is a discussion of this lineup complete without noting -tsunami-’s ability to hax?”

“No it is not Ray. No it is not.”

————————————————————————

Los Mambos
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 73.4/100 (3rd)

Lineup Depth: 43.4/65
Ghosting Ability: 9/10

The Lineup: cased / zoroarkforever / celestavian / darkfire99 / rumor / v / praj.pran / hikari / amaura / 49

“Hear me out, Ray. Mambo’s a great guy. Love him. I would probably let him father my children in the case I was affected by a life threatening incident. He’ll probably play half of the games for his team and HE’LL PLAY THEM WELL. But I gotta say it, this lineup smells like a rookie manager drafted here.”

“Absolutely reeks of it. V is a cute pickup and Amaura might appear to be a cheeky trade but we’ll have to see how that pans out.”

“Still, we’ve put management at a whopping 21 because first time managers have a tendency to be tryhards. Just look at you last season, Coach Ray!”

“Tom, boy oh boy are you right. This is a really solid lineup, but I have some serious concerns about depth. Cased and ZF are more than likely going to produce a high number of wins, but where do you go from there?”

“Mambo will need Hawkstar, or whatever his name is, to show up if he wants this team to deliver on a weekly basis. That being said, he only went 2-2 last SPLC.”

“But Tom I think we can’t discount the fact that Hawk was on Briyella’s team last season and so we really just don’t know what those practice sessions actually looked like.”

———————————————————

The Devastating Duskulls
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 57.8/100 (7th)

Lineup Depth: 37.8/65
Management: 16/25
Ghosting Ability: 4/10

The Lineup: sparktrain / nineage / fender / fiend / sken / coconut / melon / nudisto / boo836 / kopaka / marvelous / aladyyn / healndeal / unfixable / cydrolic / water__drone / bughouse

“Tom, I think the passerby might be quick to judge this team as one characterized by players that haven’t shown up in larger tournaments, players like spark, nineage, coconut, and even levi himself. But I think that’s a hasty clarification. There’s a good amount of team building potential in those players complemented by some serious contenders such as sken and the fender story.”

“Ray, I think that was a fair characterization. But it’s clear Levi will have to play his cards really well because despite his large number of LC players, his number of LC battlers seems really limited.”

“I love Levi. Hear me out, great guy. Really. I worry this isn’t a long enough tournament to judge which of these players can set themselves apart as true dark horses and which are just horses.”

“And you know what they say Coach Ray, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself.”

“What were we talking about again?”

——————————————————————

The Terrifying Timburrs
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 66/100 (5th)

Lineup Depth: 44/65
Management: 17/25
Ghosting Ability: 6/10

The Lineup: fatty / joltage / apt-get / atomicllamas / ggggd / pikasohn / majaspic22 / tesung / imanalt / idiotfrommars / soldier

“Tom, I am very fond of this lineup. It doesn’t have the biggest LC names of all times, but it’s clear to me that QuoteCS entered this draft with the mindset of getting the right tools in the right places and I think he’s accomplished that.”

“Coach Ray I think you’re right and not just because for as long as we can remember Joltage has been one of our favorites to watch playing this game. Apt, fatty, Quote himself, and llamas are all proven LC players that really have a chance to make a name for themselves in this tournament. If these players put in the time for some extra practice I think they’ve got a fighting chance.”

“I would love to see a few solid wins from ggggd and maybe even tesung this tournament, as well.”

“I struggle to see the room for growth on some of these players though. If one thing characterized the Timburrs last season, that thing was complacency, with a capital C.”

“That’s true, but I think there were bigger problems there as well that hopefully Quote knows how to address. I mean, the only thing we saw last season that was a direct result of complacency for that team was iss getting drafted and then going 0-1, which was honestly less surprising than Goddess Briyella turning out to be a dude.”

—————————————

The Squirtle Squad
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 85.8/100 (2nd)

Lineup Depth: 62.8/65
Management: 16/25
Ghosting Ability: 7/10

The Lineup: trash / heysup / tuo / omastar42 / blarajan / the_avalanches / goao / vermillion / jellicent / kavatika / merritt

“Tom, here’s the real standout of the draft for me. I think this team goes toe to toe with Macle’s in terms of lineup and really does stand with the Tirtouga’s at a level above the rest of the teams.”

“Heysup, tuo, and blara on the same team is probably one of those things that, just like BW2 Murrow, slipped through the cracks and was allowed for some unknown reason.”

“To me, you have a lot of players who in their peak activity season, really were the metagame defining player. Whether that’s all the way back to heysup or more recently with blarajan or Vermillion’s performance last SPLC or even those few weeks where the_avalanches was a guy lots of people were hyping, this team has some serious potential.”

“I see a potential leadership vacuum, though. Obvious Power is a great player but he’s managing a large number of large personalities and so he’ll need to put in the time that that requires.”

“Tom, do you know who “Little Cup Masteh” is?”

“Coach Ray, wouldn’t that be you? Or maybe that’s just a less Indian blarajan?”

“No Tom, he’s a wise LC forums user who once said, “I like to think of Volt Switch as Baton Passes brother.”

“One of the greats Ray. One of the greats.”

—————————————

Aipom Army
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 68.9 (4th)

Lineup Depth: 42.9/65
Ghosting Ability: 5/10

The Lineup: fitzy72 / tazz / rzl2000 / kingmidas / shrug / trev / kumih0 / the_quasar / fran17 / yagura / kingler12345 / firemage

“Wow Ray, is this your team from last SPLC?”

“Good eye Tom, but not quite. Sure, the battling / trash-talk core of tazz and shrug respectively is there, but there are a few other surprises as well.”

“Fitzy has been a legend since he replaced you, Ray, when SPL proper included LC (#notbitter), and frankly, I don’t think he’s about to stop now.”

“And if we learned anything from my team last tournament, it’s that kumih0 only loses when Brazilian Army is drunk, which shouldn’t play a big factor this time around as they aren’t on the same team.”

“I have to wonder; who’s Rowan relying on here? Himself again? I struggle to see who the starters are on this team. Fitzy and Tazz have got to be givens but other than that we have a lot of players who have not shown up in tournament settings. Midas, shrug, and quas all struggled last season, and I would go as far as to call the rest of the bench there virtually untested.”

“Quite an audacious claim, Tom. I can’t really hear your analysis because now that you’ve mentioned it I’m distracted by how many of these players were on my team last season.”

——————————————

Snivy Subterfuge
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 57.3 (8th)

Lineup Depth: 39.3/65
Management: 14/25
Ghosting Ability: 4/10

The Lineup: mad0ka / cheek / tricking / raseri / vileman / cheir / h&mberkeley / antemortem / absdaddy

“I’d like to start this one off with a formal request that we don’t make Jac 30k jokes.”

“Point taken, Ray. Jac’s team is a pretty ragtag group of serious players; it almost looks as if he had a stash of the LC players forgotten by theater managers and busted them out.”

“I’d love to see mad0ka and raseri really show up to this tournament, as both are highly skilled and fun to watch. Raseri has really aged since his glory days, however, so he will definitely need some additional coaching.”

“Abs is a nice pickup through trading. It’ll be interesting to see how Jac decides to use him, as well as a few others that you could see going in multiple directions, especially Cheek and vileman.”

"As far as what we can count on, I start to worry. Can you say one dimensional? mad0ka is going to have to battle four times every week and tricking will have to cover the rest until this team actually solidifies who its starters are."

“That being said, I’m excited to see what Jac himself has grown into since last tournament. We’ve gone from spending willy nilly to an actually well rounded team with some reasonably priced pickups. I admire that, Tom.”

———————————————————
Tynamo’s Dynamos
OPR (Objective Power Raynking): 58.5 (6th)

Lineup Depth: 34.5/65
Management: 19/25
Ghosting Ability: 5/10

The Lineup: Speto / The Starboard / LJDarkrai / radianthero156 / Ren-chon / Disenchanted / Real FV13 / Mysteria / Akkeshi / silver ghost / Eternal Spirit / Lord Alphose

“Let me start off again and with the note that I just love this Brazilian Army kid. He comes at us year after year seemingly every time with more gumption. He’s got some solid leadership to back up some of these picks and I’ve gotta wonder where that’ll take him.”

“You’re definitely on point with that, Ray. With any luck, these scrubs are going to be onto Rowan’s team within a year!”

“That does seem to be where they all retire to. Getting into the analysis, I think one of the people on the scrubs team has a name that really defines them.”

“What’s that, Ray? ‘Eternal Spirit’?

“Not quite, Tom. I was thinking ‘Mysteria,’ because I can’t seem to figure out who a lot of these players are.”

“That’ll give them a lot of incentive to perform, but you’re right; we’ve got to wonder how Brarmy is going to get these boys ready for tourney play.”

“Well if Brarmy is good at anything, it’s making his friends believe their only losses come from being counter teamed, so I think he’s already got his strategy in place to keep team morale high.”

“The team’s got potential. I’d go as far as to say the other teams could be scrublivious to the real threat they bring.”

“Simply scrubtastic, Ray."

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Hi Ray Jay , you;re a lord manager, but i feel like you got the scrubs wrong. Their lineup looks more like this:

Brazilian Army (speto): This player ran through POWC undefeated, but will probably 6-0 literally every opponent w/o sustaining damage with the loving guidance of Brazilian Army.
Brazilian Army (the starlord): This user joined like a week ago and has 1 message, so the good news is he probably wont need to be ghosted - he's just a Brazilian Army alt.
Brazilian Army (LJDarkrai): This BA has been here since 2007 and has 45 posts, mostly "in". Although he did have a Goddess Briyella joke in there, so maybe he hopes to fill my role??
Brazilian Army (rh156): The power-user BA, he is the only one that does not speak Portuguese so all ghosting must be done in pm rather than openly in the battle window in BA's native language.
Brazilian Army (ren-chon): A tryhard BA, will work very hard at being ghosted in LC UU.
Brazilian Army(disenchanted): This user doesnt know lc, so he will be a pleasant surprise as the user who goes 5-0 to start with webs before being swiftly counterteamed
Brazilian Army (real fv13): "a goao fake"... so more brazilian army
Mysteria: Will probably build his own teams while sitting on the bench!
Brazilian Army (akkeshi): Will Brazilian army double switch more times than the number of teams he builds? Phrased differently, will we see more than one double switch / match?
Brazilian army (silver ghost): lots of brazilian usernames are [adjective] [noun] hmmm uncanny
Brazilian Army (eternal spirit): beat me in tour, didnt think he would bring webs (brought webs), madoka beat with inkay so you know BA was drunk that day
Lord Alphose: is he back? will lcpl drive him away?

and they'll still bodybag levi week 1

uh, nice post bro, but playing, managed to stay as good as u posting? or is it still the same bad that sucked to me before? :[

Since, Amaura was wondering what he said, I think I will try to reword word he said.

Uh, nice post brother, but did your playing of Pokemon, manage to stay at the level that your are posting? Or is it still the same shit that sucked before?

Is this a good translation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)