Gen 3 Lead Metagame

ADV Ubers is such a unique metagame (as far as Ubers goes at least) in regards to leads. It comes before Team Preview and, even more importantly, before suicide hazards offense became the ultimate cheese. At the same time, it's a metagame that's much more varied and balanced than the generations preceding it opening up a lot of potential variables in terms of which Pokemon you see first.

What are your guys thoughts on the lead metagame? Do dedicated leads even exist in your opinion?

Minority has shown me the beauty of Lati@s leads as they reveal so little about the actual team and aren't commonly put in a position where you are immediately playing the backfoot. However, in utility of having your weather of choice go up from the beginning of the battle is non-negligible. What about those Mewtwo and other Lati@s anti-leads that do have you playing re-actively so some very dangerous threats? Any other thoughts you have on the subject, I am very interested in hearing.

p2

Banned deucer.
in the short amount of time I've played this tier, I like using CB Groudon as a lead because its capable of antileading common Latis pretty easily as it can take any hit from them (outside of ice beam from latios) and proceed to OHKO with HP Bug and even if Latis do switch out its a pretty hard threat to switch into if you get predicted.

I also think that getting your weather up quickly is nice because it forces your opponent to reset it or they put their selves into a position where Eggy can put in work and spread sleep and para.

sorry to bring up an 8 month old topic, but I think adv ubers is a really fun meta but the playerbase is non existent.

I wouldn't lead CB don. You'd have to EV it for solarbeam latios (at the very least modest ice beam) to be on the safe side, but if you do that hp bug won't OHKO latias. It's a really messy spot to be forced to predict or switch early game as opposed to spreading twave. A good player can reasonably switch out vs a Groudon lead with as well (knowing the only reason one would stay in with Groudon against it would be if it had sdef investment+twave or cb). It honestly seems so much safer to lead a specially defensive invested twave don imo. I'd rather scout a bit for the opponents ground resists when running cb. I'd also try to paralyze a fair amount of opposing mons. For example you can use your Kyogre early to check for Lati@s on opposing teams, stuff like Lax/Registeel finds Skarm etc. These mons also spread para quite well. Finding out the possible counterplay before revealing is I think key with something like cb gdon.

Last edited:
Reactions: p2

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I kind of like CB Lugia lead quite a bit these days. The cool thing is that it really doesn't lose to anything. You fare well enough against Lati@s by threatening CB Shadow Ball or Aeroblast, hit Donner and Ogre hard enough

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the double post, but another hilariously amazing lead:

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Double Edge
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast / Focus Punch / Hyper Beam

Out of the common leads, you only lose to Groudon, although if you use Hyper Beam, you can OHKO with a high roll (if you don't you lose tho, but with a severely damage Groudon). Kyogre you OHKO with Double Edge, Latis you survive any attack from them and OHKO with Double Edge or Shadow Ball. You lose to the rare Deo-A leads too I suppose but Deo-A leads suck anyway. Last slot is optional - Fire Blast gets Skarm and Forre, Focus Punch is strong af and Hyper Beam gives you that chance at OHKOing Groudon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)