1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gym Leader jas61292 vs SubwayJ

Discussion in 'ASB' started by Rediamond, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rediamond

Rediamond

3v3 Singles (You PM 3, I PM up to 8)
    2 Day DQ
    5 Chills / 2 Recovery
    Arena: Flying Gym
    Switch: KO
    Items: Off
    2 Substitutions

Once again, the gym leader returns to a place high above the world. It's a turbulent place, one of massive winds and high-stakes battles. But at the same time, it's a place of calm. The winds blow without stop and under normal circumstances, only the gym leader would be here, alone with his team. But these are not normal circumstances. Today is a day of battle. The winds roar as always and the same ref and the same leader are here as always, but a different challenger stands at the opposite end of the field. The air continues to blow on, bringing challengers in and out. Some are victorious; other times the wind overwhelms them. What will this battle hold?

The Flying Gym (open)

A few miles off the coast of land a large pillar sticks out of the ocean. It reaches up into the clouds, the top blocked from view when the sky is not clear. Atop the pillar lies a square battlefield, traditional in almost every sense. However, a few important differences set this place apart from your standard Pokemon arena.

First of all, the pillar itself is hollow and filled with water, that creates a pool at the fields center, giving combatants a water source other than the sea miles below. Secondly, the field itself is exceptionally thin, and as such all Pokemon who attempt to bury through it will plummet to their demise if they cannot keep themselves aloft. Finally, at each corner of the field are pillars with what appear to be nest-like structures at the top. These features allow sky based Pokemon to rest their wings more easily.

But what is even more important than the physical features of the arena are the natural effects of the location. Due to its location above the tropical seas and the directness of the sun's rays, hail turns to rain before it ever reaches the ground. Additionally, a lack of sand makes summoning a sandstorm impossible.

However, the most prominent feature of the gym is the wind. At this high altitude, strong winds are nearly a constant. The prevailing air currents bring big gusts in from the west on a regular basis, from right behind where the gym leader stands. This provides a constant effect similar to a Tailwind at one third of normal strength for the gym leader's Pokemon. In addition, the strong winds also amplify moves that use their effects, boosting their power and their accuracy as.

Summary:

• No Sandstorm or Hail
    • The thin battle platform prevents Dig.
      • Well technically using Dig will just cause the digging Pokemon to plummet thousands of feet into the water below, putting them out of bounds and knocking them out of the battle.
      • Flying and Levitating Pokemon who won't fall can still use Dig, but it won't actually do anything.
      • Seriously though, this is the flying gym. Why would you be using Dig anyways?
      • All other attacks are allowed.
    • Energy Cost of Roost reduced by 1.
    • Permanent Tailwind-like effect on Gym Leaders side (provides 1.33x speed boost)
    • Wind Based attacks have their base accuracy increased by 10% up to a maximum of 100%
    • Wind Based attacks have base power increased by 2
    • Wind based moves include the following: Hurricane, Razor Wind, Gust, Twister, Air Slash, Ominous Wind, Silver Wind, Heat Wave, Icy Wind (There may be others that I am forgetting)
    • Changes to the accuracy of attacks due to the wind are factored in before any other effects, such as stage boosts to accuracy or evasion.
    • All effects, including the power boost to wind moves and the Tailwind effect, are arena effects, not weather effects, and thus can not be negated by Cloud Nine, Air Lock or other such effects.

Today has brought a powerful trainer who can quite possibly overwhelm seven of jas' Pokemon... which would be a win. If he didn't have a Delibird.

1=jas leads
    2=SubwayJ leads

jas61292 advances his first Pokemon.
  2. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Well.... this is not good. Eh, lets try something different.
    Bird, take to the skys! (That's my amazing nickname for my Unfezant, in case you didn't know).
  3. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

I walk into the Gym...

"What the hell am I getting myself into, gyms are for the most experienced of trainers, and I may still be considered a newbie!"

The flying gym looks very impressive suspended all those feet in the air!

My opponent, the leader, sends out his creatively named Unfezant, Bird, and I immediately start thinking.

"Why choose Unfezant? Who should I choose? WHAT SECRET KILLING POWERS DOES THIS PHEASANT HAVE?!?!?!"

After I think it over for a few minutes I make my decision.

"Let's go Temple Run, your rocky abilities should give us an advantage here!

We'll start off this battle with a Technician boosted AncientPower! Follow that up with your signature Paleo Wave! When you're done with that, strike our flying foe with another AncientPower! However, if our opponent boosts itself with the power of the wind and attempts to fly, you should send a Vaccum Wave towards them instead! Another precaution you should make is in the case of the Bird summoning some clones. of that happens you should send a wind boosted Heat Wave her way instead!

Summary:

AncientPower-Paleo Wave-AncientPower
    ***If Unfezant uses Fly AND has used Tailwind earlier in the round, use Vaccum Wave that action instead.
    ***If Unfezant uses Double Team, replace your following action with Heat Wave.
  4. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Bird, there is no way you can out power this rocky monster. But you have plenty of other things to do. Incapacitate it, and start racking up the residual. Then show some of your strength.

Hypnosis - Toxic - Hidden Power Ground (7)

If Hypnosis misses, try again and push back, but only once.
  5. Rediamond

Rediamond

Round One: Secrets of the Ancients

Two levitating beings appear in flashes of light, one made of stones and the other of flesh. The stones stare blankly at the bird, who seems determined to show her worth in her debut in the flying gym. Of course, that will not be an easy task.

Temple Run summons up a small group of stones from the floor of the pillar. As they rise into the air, the entire pillar glows for just half a second before the lights fade and a barrage of stones fly towards Unfezant. While Bird is fast with the Tailwind, she is not fast enough and ends up being hit by the stones straight in the face for a critical hit. Slightly embarrassed, Bird stares at Temple Run with a look that entrances the stone being and sedates it for just a moment.

Of course, Bird doesn't pull any punches and promptly regurgitates a toxic mixture that seeps into Stratagem, causing it to wake up in alarm. Temple Run then draws from the power of the arena once more, and the entire arena seems to vibrate as a mystical force is unlocked from inside it as pillars of light erupt amidst the spreading stones. Bird is hit, but most importantly Stratagem has been boosted in almost every way. An uphill battle suddenly became steeper for the gym leader. Bird attempts to harness the light in her own glowing orb of ancient energy, but it pales in comparison to the monstorous power of her adversary. With the round done, Temple Run is barely phased while Bird is in a much worse position than where she started. Can the gym leader salvage this?

calcs (open)
    Ancientpower: [(6+5.5+3+3)*1.5] 26.25 damage, 4 energy (9292 no boost, 613 crit)
    Hypnosis: 7 energy, Light Sleep Inflicted (974 hit, 601 Light Sleep)
    Stratagem is fast asleep!
    Toxic: 7 energy, Stratagem badly poisoned (2576 hit)
    Stratagem woke up!
    Ancientpower: [(6+5.5+3)*1.5] 21.75 damage, 4 energy, +Def/SpD/SpA/Att/Spe (596 boosts, 4470 no crit)
    Hidden Power: [((7+1.5)*1.5)-1.75] 11 damage, 5 energy (8332 no crit)

[​IMG]
    HP: 43
    EN: 81
    Otr: ---

[​IMG]
    HP: 87
    EN: 92
    Otr: Badly Poisoned (2), +Def/Att/SpD/SpA/Spe
  6. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

One small nitpick, Technician wasn't factored in, so I should've done 9 more damage
  7. Rediamond

Rediamond

Fixed in final totals. Stupid CaP handing out Technician to everything...
  8. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

Well.......fuck. Iwas gonna set up a full tailwind, but with that +1 everything, it wouldn't even matter.

Hidden Power Ground - Steel Wing - Hidden Power Ground
    If damaging Rock move is used, use Detect, but not on consecutive actions
    If Disabe (Hidden Power) is used, Roost that action.
  9. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

Our next barrage of attacks should knock out this fine flying specimen!

Hidden Power (Ice 6)*3
  10. Rediamond

Rediamond

Round Two: Hidden Powers

The wind continues to howl.

The match resumes with the gym leader a little less than confident. Perhaps he's already considering the match lost? Both contestants summon a small orb of energy from the floor of the arena, and blast it out at the other. The two collide mid-arena, and a cold mud splatters across the field. The power that Stratagem is channeling lets him get out of it relatively unharmed, though. Seeing a chance to end this, the challenger calls for another Hidden Power, which strikes Unfezant out cold.

The challenger has secured an early lead on the gym leader, but can he sustain it? Stratagem is still relatively healthy, but the gym leader can now handpick his counter. Will this match be the fastest challenger victory ever? Will dogfish44's badge lose some of its value? Find out next time.

[​IMG]
    HP: 72
    EN: 76
    Other: Badly Poisoned (3)

Hidden Calcs (open)
    Stratagem: Hidden Power Ice: [((9+5.5)*1.5)+1.75] 23.5 damage, 6 energy (8913 no crit)
    Unfezant: Hidden Power Ground: [((7+1.5)*1.5)-1.75] 11 damage, 5 energy (8328 no crit)
    Stratagem: Hidden Power Ice: [((9+5.5)*1.5)+1.75] 23.5 damage, 10 energy, KO (crit=irrelevant)

Leader jas61292 advances a new Pokemon, SubwayJ orders, Leader jas61292 orders.
  11. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

Well, we are is a very bad spot right now. But if anyone can dig us out of it it would be Hatchet. So, I'll choose Tomohawk.
  12. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

Our foe seems to have the types in his favour now, what to do, what to do...

Volt Switch-Electro Ball-Hidden Power
    ***If protective/evasive action is used, use Rock Polish that action and push actions back but never consecutively
    ***If Double Team is used, replace your following action with Heat Wave and push actions back

(Also a note. I was told that Volt Switch resets toxic counter, if this is untrue, use Hidden Power A1 instead)
  13. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

Well, I have never heard that about Toxic, but based on how volt switch works, it makes sense.

Aura Sphere - Focus Blast - Aura Sphere
  14. Rediamond

Rediamond

Round Three: Sparks Fly

The wind continues to howl...

Hatchet appears on the field shortly after Bird is returned, and the fighting-type immediately takes a battle stance, ready to pummel the opposing CaP. The battle quickly resumes its offensive pace, with Stratagem racing forwards in a cloak of electricity and smacking straight into Tomohawk. As the stones fly away, a blue orb chases them as they fly further and further away in an increasingly complex series of aerial maneuvers. But, the aura cannot be dodged and it eventually does make contact.

As both trainers await Stratagem's return, they fail to miss the massive cloud of sparks flying in at maximum speed behind Tomohawk. The bird turns just in time to see an orb of electricity strike it at high speed in the face. As he staggers back, Hatchet unleashes an incredibly powerful blast of energy wildly, and fails to hit the target in his pain and confusion. Coming out of the orb, Stratagem appears and blasts out another sphere of energy that collides with one from Tomohawk in a small explosion that effectively nullify the two attacks.

Both sides are hurting now. What will come of this?

Math (open)
    Volt Switch: [(7+4)*1.5] 16.5 damage, 5 energy, Toxic Counter reset (6356 no switch)
    Aura Sphere: [(9+3+1.5)*1.5] 20.25 damage, 6 energy (9646 no crit)
    Electro Ball: [(6+4+3+3)*1.5] 24 damage, 9 energy (207 crit)
    Focus Blast: Miss, 7 energy (7642 miss)
    Hidden Power: [(6+3+4)*1.5] 19.5 damage, 6 energy (6941 no crit)
    Aura Sphere: [(9+3+1.5)*1.5] 20.25 damage, 6 energy (9350 no crit)

[​IMG]
    HP: 28
    EN: 56
    Other: Badly Poisoned (2)

[​IMG]
    HP: 50
    EN: 81
  15. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

One little nitpick, you forgot Technician on Elecroball, I shouldve done 4.5 more damage
  16. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

God damn it. Blast those rocks til they die.

Aura Sphere x3
    If damaging Electric moves is used in a combo, Protect that action
    If Disable is used, Taunt that action, but only once.
  17. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

You did great Temple Run!

Hidden Power*3
  18. Rediamond

Rediamond

Round Four: Finally Falling

The wind continues to howl...

"God damn it, blast those rocks until they die!"

Stratagem and Tomohawk continue to face each other down, both combatants impressed at the strength of the other. But, the gym leader's rage quickly breaks the silence. Stratagem races forwards and blasts out another ball of light that soon slams into and dissolves against a ball of blue spiritual fire. Almost overwhelmed, Temple Run glances back to its trainer to get a final approving nod before charging up another orb of energy. It drifts across the field in almost slow motion as the trainers watch another Aura Sphere smash into and through it, flying directly into the head of Stratagem and knocking it out. While the score is now even, Tomohawk is exhausted. Can the gym leader still pull this, or is his defeat an inevitability?

I REGRET NOTHING!!! (open)
    Hidden Power: [(9+4)*1.5] 19.5 damage, 10 energy (7362 no crit)
    Aura Sphere: [(9+1.5+3)*1.5] 20.25 damage, 6 energy (5500 no crit)
    Hidden Power: [(9+4)*1.5] 19.5 damage, 14 energy (4522 no crit)
    Aura Sphere: [(9+1.5+3)*1.5] 20.25 damage, 10 energy, KO (crit=irrelevant)

[​IMG]
    HP: 11
    EN: 65
  19. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

As Temple Run returns to it's pokeball, I look at my other two pokemon. Fruit Ninja my Krillowatt who has been with me from the start. And Angry Birds my Cyclohm who has trained hard and well to become my most experienced pokemon. After hesitating for a while, I make my choice.

"Lets go Fruit Ninja! You can do this!"

(Trace Prankster) Ice Shard+Ice Shard-Cooldown (Ice Shard+Ice Shard)-Ice Shard+Ice Shard
    ***If Protective/Evasive action is used use Substitute (15) and push actions back
  20. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

I...got nothing.

Memento
  21. Rediamond

Rediamond

Round Five: Tomohawk gets pwned

KRILLOWATT PWNAGE

err... in a flash of light Krillowatt appears, cloaked in ice as he races into Tomohawk, knocking it out before the bird even understands what his opponent is.

One Line of Calcs (open)
    Mega Ice Shard: [(9-1.5)*1.5] 11.25 damage, 21 energy, KO (640 no crit)

[​IMG]
    HP: 125
    EN: 79
    Otr: Cooldown
  22. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute

Go Salamence
    Earthquake - Earthquake - Earthquake
    If Counter action 2 or 3, Hidden Power Grass instead
    If Protect action 2 or 3, Dragon Dance instead
  23. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

I anticipated that...

Cooldown-Mind Reader-Sheer Cold+Sheer Cold

If my calcs are correct, I survive all the Equakes, I OHKO with Super Cold and survive with 3EN

If I'm right, GG jas!
  24. Rediamond

Rediamond

Round Six: Endgame

Salamence comes out to smash the little magic shrimp to bits, giving a mighty roar of intimidation that makes Krillowatt a little more afraid... a little. However, he isn't truly afraid until Salamence begins to smash his feet against the earth and create a massive vibration that slowly begins to work its way up the arena until the entire pillar is rumbling. Desperate for anything to save himself, Krillowatt begins to look into the mind of Salamence, a place filled with rage and anger and frustration at the futility of his situation. The encounter gives Krillowatt an idea of what's coming, but more importantly a plan. Salamence continues to thrash around in rage, the pillar itself starting to crumble towards the top as it cannot stand the constant pressure of the earth's rage.

Indeed, everything begins to split apart as the tower crashes towards the ground. The challenger begins to falter and the leader deploys another bird to jump onto, but he's unfortunately too late as the challenger himself begins to lose his balance as the edge falls away. And then...

Ice.

Krillowatt unleashes a massive pulse of ice that sweeps across the entire arena in an instant, binding together the entire tower in a massive barrier of frozen water and sending a small blizzard rushing out into the surrounding winds as temperatures begin to reach the absolute lowest point that the gym has ever recorded. Water vapor in the air freezing creates a thick, white mist that almost clouds out the end of the battle.

I think I'll skip the part where Charizards came to take care of everything, and the extensive repair work afterwards, and just say that Salamence do not like any ice. Particularly not glaciation. So, in a lobby on the coast, the second ASB flying badge was awarded.

Your worst/best nightmare/dream (open)
    Earthquake: [(10+4)*1.5] 21 damage, 7 energy (8151 no crit)
    Krillowatt must recharge!
    Mind Reader: 6 energy, Krillowatt is locked on
    Earthquake: [(10+4)*1.5] 21 damage, 11 energy (8193 no crit)
    Earthquake: [(10+4)*1.5] 21 damage, 15 energy (5513 no crit)
    Mega Sheer Cold: [((25*2.25))*2.25] 126.56 damage, 70 energy... Salamence fainted!

Leader jas61292 is out of usable Pokemon!

SubwayJ wins!

Rediamond: 10 UC

jas61292: 2 CC
    -Unfezant: 3 MC
    -Tomohawk: 3 MC, 1 KOC
    -Salamence: 3 MC

SubwayJ: 2 CC, ASB Flying Badge, 5 CC reward
    -Stratagem: 3 MC, 1 KOC
    -Krillowatt: 3 MC, 2 KOC
    -Cyclohm: 3 MC
  25. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

GG jas! Woot for non gym leaders having badges! Also woot for OHKOs

Thanks for the battle!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)