League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :). I bought and played Zyra as an AP mid on a smurf and HER DAMAGE IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS O.o!!!!!!!!!!!!! can basically 100-(20/50) an entire team depending on how bunched up they are. I botch a lot of E+W+Q+W combos and end up either growing 2 thornspitters or missing a seed entirely, but enough practice should fix that. Her base damage is high, she has tons of CC, and free 0 mana wards don't hurt either :D, but one problem that might arise once I transition her to support is that her plants scale off AP. Does the lack of farm as support Zyra gimp her DPS and force her into more of a peeler role, because with her shit mobility and squishiness, she'll probably be peeling for herself more often than the carry. -_-

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
errr well yes support Zyra does almost no DPS against full build enemies, if you pick her for her lategame damage output you are doing it wrong. she relies solely on her base damages lategame and really functions more to get huge CC potential in - similarly to how Morg and Lux snares can win a game getting a lucky snare on a target, Zyra's snare can hit MULTIPLE targets and also get a lucky pick.

in lane she is possibly the best zoning support outside of Alistar, fed Leona and Taric vs two squishies with no non-ult cc. In fact she's probably better than Taric and Ali because she can drop a seed and Q and just get endless poke in making the enemy team waste time killing her plant and being zoned away from CS. Gank a support Zyra lane for free kills at 6 essentially, she has the damage output to make big plays if your jungler shows up to ensure the kills.

I build support Zyra as Philo/Kage's/Boots 1 into Aegis, I skip HoG but if we were falling behind and I needed to be tanky immediately I would probably get HoG (not for very much longer though hue) but I'm practicing for no HoG S3, and Zyra is probably the best Kage's support. So Shur/Sorcs/Aegis/Zeke's/MORELLO'S or Rylai's/Wards. Get Sorcs for the MPen so you do a little more damage as the game goes on but Zyra's strength is poking and harassing constantly in lane where her damage is the highest as the game progresses since she doesn't build much AP. I think Morello's is useful on her building out of Kage's because she can give an enemy healing reduction, especially if someone dives her carry and has lifesteal, but I know Koreans like to get Rylai's so she slows everyone ever. Rylai's is sort of expensive though. I like Aegis because it's a good aura and you don't want her to be TOO squishy. Shur is mandatory on support and Zeke's is always a good aura for your AD. Have to see how S3 items change this build though, Zeke's got nerfed a bit and Kage's has some strong new upgrades.

Your goal should always be peeling for your carry as support, you need to position just as well as anyone on your team. Exception is like Leona or Ali who are frontliners and likely to dive into the enemy team. If the enemy team is trying to focus support Zyra then you should win the fight if you got your full combo off because their cooldowns and damage are all on you lol. Your priority is always peeling for your carries, position well and if they focus you, you did your job keeping your carries safe.

RE: Nami I actually think Kog'Maw will be her strongest lane partner. She brings 2 forms of CC which can give him escapes from ganks which is what Kog REALLY needs from a support, someone who can get him out of ganks, can heal him a bit, and THAT E. Kog W+Nami E+BotRK+Hurricane OP affffffffff. Kog'Maw is the lategame titan and though MF can abuse earlygame dominance with Nami, so perhaps Nami is best fully utilized alongside an aggressive laner for her offensive capabilities, but overall she seems like a perfect fit to Kog, offering him legit everything he could want especially with the new items. It's not like Kog is completely helpless in lane - his biggest problem is no escape, but once he gets BF and Zeal he trades quite well, if Nami keeps him alive through trades then Kog usually comes out on top once everyone else blows their cooldowns.

Also yeah Soraka is really only good with Graves and Corki to give them free mana. She sucks with the weaker laners like Kog and Vayne because she offers nothing they actually NEED to win lane hurr durr press W to heal ok Sona could do that and be a lot more useful and doesn't peel for them in fights at all really, and she sucks with the lane bullies because all she does is Infuse them without being able to effectively poke and help them press their advantage. Like her heal is annoying to lane against but she does not offer that much to timid laners and aggressive laners both.

I really like Janna as a support even though she has no heal, she's got that great AD boosting shield and tons of cc with her Q and her ult. Well, I guess her ult heals lol ....
Also she's really fun to play. The key to using her is correct timing of her shield which can win you games easily. Her shield combined with her Q and ult can easily protect your ADC even from a gank. I'd also recommend her along with Sona if you want to learn bot lane support. As for Lux support, I generally find it underwhelming, as I much prefer to play Lux mid. She has no heal, her shield isn't as strong as Janna's (though it is multi target), and people can dodge her skillshots pretty easily. Also she's very weak without AP. Support Lux works best with an ADC with high burst, because once she lands a snare, it's lights out for the opponent. Also you can always ask your ADC what support they prefer :P

Also goddamn I want Nami so effin bad

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really like Janna as a support even though she has no heal, she's got that great AD boosting shield and tons of cc with her Q and her ult. Well, I guess her ult heals lol ....
Also she's really fun to play. The key to using her is correct timing of her shield which can win you games easily. Her shield combined with her Q and ult can easily protect your ADC even from a gank. I'd also recommend her along with Sona if you want to learn bot lane support. As for Lux support, I generally find it underwhelming, as I much prefer to play Lux mid. She has no heal, her shield isn't as strong as Janna's (though it is multi target), and people can dodge her skillshots pretty easily. Also she's very weak without AP. Support Lux works best with an ADC with high burst, because once she lands a snare, it's lights out for the opponent. Also you can always ask your ADC what support they prefer :P

Also goddamn I want Nami so effin bad
Actually Lux's shield is considered far superior to Janna's assuming 2 hits and you shield yourself twice as well. But Janna's passive is just so useful for supporting low mobility champs. Btw add me nigga: palpitoad93. ;)

Also Nami is gonna be my first instabuy, even if I end up sucking with her. Everything about her is fun/interesting, whether it's playstyle, character design, or animations.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :). I bought and played Zyra as an AP mid on a smurf and HER DAMAGE IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS O.o!!!!!!!!!!!!! can basically 100-(20/50) an entire team depending on how bunched up they are. I botch a lot of E+W+Q+W combos and end up either growing 2 thornspitters or missing a seed entirely, but enough practice should fix that. Her base damage is high, she has tons of CC, and free 0 mana wards don't hurt either :D, but one problem that might arise once I transition her to support is that her plants scale off AP. Does the lack of farm as support Zyra gimp her DPS and force her into more of a peeler role, because with her shit mobility and squishiness, she'll probably be peeling for herself more often than the carry. -_-
Zyra's damage obviously falls off toward the mid-game seeing as you're going to be building plenty of GP10 as opposed to rushing straight AP. She still has some of the highest DPS and burst of any support in the game, if not the highest. You won't be full comboing anyone late-game as support Zyra, but you can peel effectively, slow people with your E+W plant, and cause massive disruption with your ultimate.

Jumpluff: I consider MF+Nunu to be one of the strongest pairings out there. Blood Boil synergizes incredibly well with the damage bonus from Impure Shots, and MF can apply a ridiculous amount of pressure if Nunu gets just one Ice Blast off. When both their ultimates are used in conjunction, it almost certainly means a summoner spell or death. MF+Sona is certainly strong, though.

Speaking from personal experience, my favorite supports when I play Corki are Blitz, Leona, Taric, and Sona. I prefer supports that help me set up combos instead of a Janna or a Soraka lane. Corki doesn't exactly have a 100-0 burst combo like Graves does, but having an aggressive support helps immensely.

Well, MF Nunu is different, Nunu + (insert thing here) is a special exception because of his ridiculousness haha :x MF Nunu is kind of absurd and do synergise better than most bot lanes, you're right (my last normal was vs. MF Nunu, in fact). When I say she's bad with stuff like Soraka I just mean anything that doesn't actively boost her power or aggress. Sorry for the wording! Nunu is reactive but not in the sense that Soraka is reactive, because Nunu (saying this as someone who fucking hates Nunu) lends himself really well to aggression. Armour buff or no buff, I don't think Soraka lends herself to aggression, just to countering it.

I think Corki Soraka is fine, but I also agree with you, I do not like Soraka with lane bullies (I don't like Soraka much in general, although I think she has her uses!). If you want a heal and a lane bully play (Sona/Nami). But I still think Corki Soraka is an acceptable lane, it's not like MF Soraka where Soraka is totally wasted. Soraka offers no CC (except silence which ehhh other stuff locks you down lol), no (damage) steroid, but at least Corki and Soraka do synergise, unlike MF and Soraka.

New World Order: Yes, Lux's shield is, if I recall correctly, the best shield in the game (when it hits). Omicron specifically said 'AD boosting shield'. Janna is basically a free BF Sword for your AD Carry. Press E, win trades. Lux shield is not a steroid which is specifically what is referred to by 'AD boosting shield'. It's only one of those things. Perhaps I'm wrong and Omicron was actually suggesting that Lux's shield doesn't shield for as much as Janna's, in which case he would be incorrect. It's worth noting that you don't necessarily max shield first on support Lux, unlike Janna, in which case it is weaker in lane. What sets Lux apart from other supports with a shield is the immense amount of early damage, both burst and poke, that she provides from an extremely safe range early on. If you walk into Light Binding, you're screwed. Maxing Lucent Singularity first lets you actually make use of what makes support Lux different to the others.

Also, wrt: support Zyra -- Yeti is correct. Good supports have utility without farm. This means they scale past lane without farm/items. Support Zyra does a huge amount of damage in lane, but since you're not going to get items, you'll quickly get outscaled. This is true with every single support, since you shouldn't be building damage; you should be building items that will give your team utility. Once you get out of lane, yes, support Zyra becomes a CC bot, as does basically any other support who didn't grab a Mejai's Soulstealer after a triple kill (note: don't). That's just the reality of playing support! You don't get gold, you don't get items, you don't do the damages and get kills. You are there to protect your team and make plays. :) Make the most of your base values while they last.

Yes, sorry I was unclear about that, Janna's shield is much better for laning due to the AD boost, but I do acknowledge that Lux's shield is better in team fights, assuming you can land it.

Ugh why can't nami be out NOW >:(

Soontm :( I can't wait to play Nami on the live servers. The Little Mermaid is my favourite film of all time, her particles are breathtaking, and her gameplay is actually really enjoyable. Also I just want to be a mermaid pitchi pitchi pitch.

@Pluffers

I don't understand how Zyra doesn't scale. She retains her utility, damage (don't forget her death nuke), and scales very well with support items specifically the cooldown stats.

because she only retains that damage if she's building some kind of AP, whether it's double doran's into deathcap or grail into deathcap

support zyra typically ends up building something like shurelya's / aegis / zeke's and all the AP you're likely to get comes from lucky pick and MAYBE WotA, meaning that you won't have the damage to full combo people at all later on.

you'll still be doing a lot more damage relative to other supports but you won't be functioning like an AP carry.

@Pluffers

I don't understand how Zyra doesn't scale. She retains her utility, damage (don't forget her death nuke), and scales very well with support items specifically the cooldown stats.
Also, wrt: support Zyra -- Yeti is correct. Good supports have utility without farm. This means they scale past lane without farm/items.
She retains her base damage, but it doesn't scale. She still does more damage than most by design, but she's certainly no Karthus after lane.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
game 7 - singed (1/8/20), protip dont jungle singed (won)
game 8 - malzahar (3/4/6), dont roam vs a malzahar (won)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I think we outlined it earlier in that Corki is great for learning to ADC early on. Caitlyn also works as does Graves. Don't play Vayne or Kog'maw until you are comfortable with the mechanics of carrying as an ADC and playing in botlane.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
shauna and her man kog only carries you ever need botlane all else are inferior

unless u own gangster twitch

man up and l2play without free flashhhhhhhhhh

Am now 7-4 in ranked, considering starting a "ranked chronicles" thing either here or on MOBAFire, probably starting from when I hit 1600. Need one more game.

Most recent game was a 20 minute stomp. I played Taric. I've been trying to main just Irelia this season but our first pick called top and our last pick isn't good at support, so I helped out the team by being "that good guy".

I got lucky and happened to have one of those games where every lane performs well, including our jungle, and we quickly steamrolled them to a 20 minute surrender. The highlight was probably when Amumu caught me over by blue buff and, well:

Ezreal was in no position to help, but he ulted and shot a Q over the wall, both of which hit MF, and I stunned+W+ulted to force her flash and flashed after her to get a kill and escape with my life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)