League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

Go back down to normals and watch how 9/10 games feature Darius and he'll go 20/2 =/

I don't think I know a single person that thinks Darius needs a buff but you. Many believe he needs a nerf.
r u kidding me?! i dont know a single person who consistently goes 20+/2 with darius

and look at his winrates, it's very below even 50-50. darius is one of the hardest champs to win with in the game

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
r u kidding me?! i dont know a single person who consistently goes 20+/2 with darius

and look at his winrates, it's very below even 50-50. darius is one of the hardest champs to win with in the game
Shaco OP, his winrate is consistently in the top 10. Alistar is as bad as Karma/Heimerdinger/Trundle etc because his winrate is about the same as them.

One of these two is one of the most picked/banned champions in tournaments, the other is considered unviable competitively. Can you guess which it is?

Shaco OP, his winrate is consistently in the top 10. Alistar is as bad as Karma/Heimerdinger/Trundle etc because his winrate is about the same as them.

One of these two is one of the most picked/banned champions in tournaments, the other is considered unviable competitively. Can you guess which it is?
alistar is baned in 99% of the games so everyone forgot how to play her! so not fair example

how do you write like this

There's a couple reasons why top snowballs.

First thing to note is that there is no reason for the jungler to be at top except very early in the game when you're conveniently right there after your clear. Otherwise anytime after that is a dragon forfeit while risking to kill the one lane with the tankiest champs.

Top lane champs scale very fast with both levels and items into their midgame state, and the fact that top is the longest lane as a solo lane means starvation happens.

The easiest and most straightforward solution IMO is adding an actual objective near top that is relevant to early-midgame.
and then write like this

alistar is baned in 99% of the games so everyone forgot how to play her! so not fair example
??????????

i agree with your points regardless, but i just found that funny

I'm gonna have 6300 IP by the end of tomorrow, and I'm probably going to get Xerath since I like the idea of spamming spells on people from a distance.

Does anyone here have him? What kind of build do you do with him-double dorans into rabadons? sorcs->haunting guise->abyssal? mejais->sword of the occult->leviathan?

I have no idea, even tho I've played a lot of APs before he seems like a completely different one with an unusual playstyle which is probably why I'm drawn to him. (kinda like I picked up Rumble when I was like level 16 because he had a cool playstyle, or the same with Elise more recently).

Or should I just wait for Zed or get some boring champ like Darius for the free 3v3 elo?

EDIT: thanks jebus

double doran's is good but it seems that any champion who can run chalice into athene's is now doing that - chalice rushing is quickly overtaking doran's stacking on mid lane AP champions who rely on mana. xerath is no exception as he benefits greatly from the CDR while the extra MR is nice against any opposing AP mid laner.

rush grail or go double doran's, either way you'll probably want deathcap next. then transition into a typical lategame mage build with void staff, hourglass, guardian angel, etc.

the change to magic penetration in season three means that flat penetration will be applied after percent penetration. since locus of power gives percent penetration, xerath will be indirectly buffed a huge amount because of it. haunting guise will be a potential late-game buy because - well, let's do the math

percent magic penetration stacks multiplicatively meaning that if you have the MPen mastery, a void staff, and max rank on W, you have 67.6% magic penetration at level 18

assuming you're running 10 magic pen on runes as is standard for most mid laners and have sorc boots and a haunting guise, you'll be dealing true damage to any champion with less than:

(10 + 20 + 20) / (1 - 0.624) = 154 magic resistance

which is kind of ridiculous

take this with a grain of salt of course, seeing as regular champions will have 54% magic pen after buying void staff and will do true damage to champs with less than:

(10 + 20 + 20) / (1 - 0.54) = 109 magic resistance

honestly the entire flat/percent penetration rework seems a little ridiculous seeing as haunting guise ends up drastically amplifying any late-game carry's damage, which is not at all its original intention. without haunting guise, you only need 80 MR for xerath to stop dealing true damage to you - the fact that one item nearly doubles your effective true damage threshold is ludicrous in my opinion.

Since I know we are not the only ones here who play 3s I thought I would draw attention to this AMA since it didn't hit front page on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1320qw/just_got_rank_1_on_tt_ama/

Not a whole lot of groundbreaking stuff there beyond that they tend to 2v1 with a support instead of jungle (specifically Nunu and Leona). We had to win a few in a row to carry TTS's 3s team to gold in the final hour of the season so he could at least have Gold in some bracket so we tried out the Leona thing... we started at like 1330 so we were playing pretty far below what we were used to but the results were pretty noteworthy, would definitely suggest people try her in TT though I'm not sure she'll be as strong post-patch:

(i died once to saving gene from a 3v1 and once to cath's dumb spider call where the spider nearly triple killed us damn them)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Jebus did they alter how the % stacking works as well, because if not then I think you are using the (1-x) value rather than the actual % pen value. For example, a 40% pen with a 10% pen would be (1-(1-.4)*(1-.1))=46% magic penetration. If you think about it, it makes sense that having other % penetration items would not make the other items give you MORE % penetration, but less.

Unless they are changing the formula between seasons as to how the % penetration mastery+item scale with each other, that is how it is calculated.

EDIT: Actually I just realized something pretty huge...the changes to the % and flat order don't really do what Riot claims they do at all (make AD casters viable or armor pen strats viable) but rather provide a MASSIVE buff to AP champions because there are WAY more items for reducing or penetrating an enemy's Magic Resist than there are for penetrating an enemy's armor (Haunting Guise, Sorc Shoes, Magic Pen Reds, Abyssal (though abyssal won't stack well with % because the reduction still applies first))...combine this with them randomly removing the one item in the game that provided more than 57 MR (Force of Nature) and you will see tanks having to buy two MR items just to survive the burst from an enemy mid laner. I think this is a gigantic buff to all magic-damage dealers, particularly ones who already bought Magic Pen items. This is also likely to be quite a nerf to bruisers in general, because they tend to end up in the range of MR that is most affected (the 120-180 range) where they used to be resisting about 35% of the incoming magic damage from the enemy, and are now only resisting about 10% of it (obviously depends on the builds of the enemy AP and the bruiser). This will make any champion that has to dive for the enemy carries (Irelia, Jax, etc.) much more vulnerable, as even making it through the enemy AP's burst will be tough, much less surviving the enemy AD+Support combo once they get there.

I also think this is a (unneeded) buff to Amumu, as his passive (unless they alter the numbers, which it doesn't look like they are doing in the Patch Notes) becomes much more valuable post-S2 than it was simply because any form of MR Reduction or Penetration has become significantly more valuable (though penetration is more important than reduction due to the aforementioned order of operations).

Just to be clear.. right now penetration values are calculated

Percentage - Penetration - Reduction

After everything is changed it will be...

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
promote summoner spell is gone in season 3, is being reworked as an item.

support nunu with promote item (if its cheap enough):o

Just to be clear.. right now penetration values are calculated

After everything is changed it will be...

I'm pretty positive it's:

Flat Reduction / Percent Reduction / Flat Penetration / Percent Penetration

After the rework it'll be:

Flat Reduction / Percent Reduction / Percent Penetration / Flat Penetration

UncleSam: You're right, I screwed up the calculations for regular champs - it should be 46%, but Xerath is still at roughly 68%.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
im so mad they're deleting promote

i was all set to be the xerath master blaster when he's broken af from the new mpen changes in s3 but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

just have to delete promote.

now how am i supposed to rush sorcs/guise/void staff and take your inhib at 20min singlehandedly if i have to buy an item to promote?

just to be clear SD xenu is not actually enthusiastic about more tanky dps (with a gap closer!) at all

just thought i'd clear that up

RODAN

Banned deucer.
so on heimer should i be getting this promote item

i was thinking about getting it after chalice instead of going chalice right into deathcap like i usually do

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna have 6300 IP by the end of tomorrow, and I'm probably going to get Xerath since I like the idea of spamming spells on people from a distance.

Does anyone here have him? What kind of build do you do with him-double dorans into rabadons? sorcs->haunting guise->abyssal? mejais->sword of the occult->leviathan?

I have no idea, even tho I've played a lot of APs before he seems like a completely different one with an unusual playstyle which is probably why I'm drawn to him. (kinda like I picked up Rumble when I was like level 16 because he had a cool playstyle, or the same with Elise more recently).

Or should I just wait for Zed or get some boring champ like Darius for the free 3v3 elo?

EDIT: thanks jebus
Xerath is fine and funny, really underrated.
I'd still go for some Dorans and grab a fast Rabadon. While Haunting Guise is definitely a good item right now, Xerath is much more about poke.
Poke mid heroes are less and less played for Utility/CC in teamfight. But Xerath is just the AP with the biggest potentiel Range.
Compare him to Ziggs, or to Gragas (even if he's melee, he's poke).
You need to position really well, and you can afford going straigh for pure AP since you burst your spells REALLY fast as Xerath and thus you either kill the threat or outrange it.
Chalice would be fine I guess given the power it grants you, the ap it gives is far from being bad, and the CR reduction scales so well with Xerath and the AP from Masteries/Runes.
I'd adapt my build, if I'm grabbing early kills and that I can get a Large Rod somewhere before min 20, go for Rabadon. Else Chalice seems fine.
I think you NEED Rabadon with him anyway before min 35, it should be your mark (ofc it depends on the pace of the game).
After Rabadon you can go for Void Staff, or Rylai depending if you think you're safe in fights (you got enough CC from your team to protect you) or if you're not safe (you're the carry, and everybody focus you.. play with it !).
After that, go whatever.. Zhonya for instance but stacking ap means you won game most of the time so it doesn't matter.

A little trick, make sure you ward their wraith (upside the hill), or even both sides. So if your mid opponent tries to gank a side lane, you can burst him with your range thanks to the vision it grants you (it's most of the time free damage).
Xerath got an insane Burst at level 6, don't be afraid to use it as soon as land a stun because E+Q+RRR+Q combined with Ignite got unchallenged damages in a really small room of time.

ugh i always do so shit in my placement matches

i think its like a mental thing, it happened last season too. I got placed way lower than I should be because i played like shit then won like 10 games in a row. blah.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just went 6/1/14 in my first placement match as Amumu, now sitting at 1593 with nine more +/- 50 games to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)