League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yep I'm gonna keep updating this cause why not, new entries in italics.

Garbage Tier
Singed
Yes, I know that permanent R mode sounds cool and all. But his primary source of damage, poison, does not increase at all in this game mode. But the biggest offender is that Singed can't outrun anyone anymore. A champ with any dash is now speedy gonzales (an overrated trait in URF I believe, but it makes Singed shit in comparison).

Low Tier
Lux
Here again the shining light is the ultimate, a now beautiful 10 seconds. Unfortunately, Lux otherwise gains very little from this mode. Lux is a calm, tactical character. She just can't function under this level of crazy, and forget using her passive outside of a duel.

Poppy
She just felt really slow at dealing damage unfortunately. I could swear her Q used to do more damage, but Poppy is def more about the chase and even when you can stun she just doesn't offer enough damage.

Vayne
The first big blow right as you start is learning that you cannot spam Q. In this mode you also just feel slow, even with R up. Just an awkward champ uniquely hurt by URF mechanics.

Mid Tier
LeBlanc
Like I said, she is overrated. Yes, I've actually moved her down from high tier. There are just many things that make her awkward. The most of which being how the cooldown on your W will get lower than its own subcast. LeBlanc can solo very well early, and if you get fed your team has a strong chance of winning. But I feel there are better champs who can win for their team even without lots of early kills. After playing many better champions, and consistently stomping opposing LeBlancs, I cannot justify putting her in a higher tier.

Leona
This was the first character I played, so I couldn't know going in what her shortcoming would be. Every character has 25% tenacity, so not only is she not a perfect lockdown, she can't even combo her R with Q well anymore, especially when you consider all the people who are going to be blinking out of every lock. Stil, she has perma-W and offers about as much to a team fight as always, it's just not a tank friendly meta.

Nasus
Farm on overdrive. Sadly, the value of wither is diminished so Nasus has a harder time than ever catching people. Now if you decide to backdoor though, you will knock over towers in seconds.

High Tier
Ashe
I feel like ranged AD carries are super underrated in this mode. Zhonya's is the most common armor you are likely to see. Ashe also brings to the table one of the most potent pokes in the game, making laning a breeze. Having the ult more often also lets you pull off some wild stunts. If you don't manage an R+teleport combo at least once per game, you know you're doing it wrong.

Hecarim
I hear some people would say this character would be higher, and I think he's really damn good but there's surprisingly more broken characters. Not much needs to be said about Hecacopter, he is a rare good MS character in that he can Perma-E and it stacks. Any character that already had a low cooldown ability is bound to be good, and Hec does not disappoint.

Heimerdinger
This one hinges on God Tier folks. Forget your fucking blinks. You really think Heimer is unsafe without a mobility option? Well prepare to eat 3 turrets then. He will never not have three turrets up. Even if you kill him, he'll probably kill you right back. And that goes for 1v2s as well. Spamming his W and E are also wonderful, and R works great with all abilities. The only thing keeping Heimer from God Tier is a relatively hard laning phase.

Miss Fortune
You thought she dumped on lanes before? Meet permanent W. It takes very rare combinations of opponents to not be able to win lane. In a squishy game such as this, her ult is also sick.

Graves
I feel like Graves is everything that people think Ezreal is right now. Sure his dash isn't as good, but his Q is much more suited to this kind of game mode and his R is pretty sweet too. Between a 3 second dash, a redonc poke, and all the buffs that ranged carries got, Graves is very much a character that win with any amount of early kills.

Rammus
This was a pleasant surprise. Rammus always dealt a fair amount of damage for a full tank, but in this mode he just chews through squishies before they can do much about it. He can also just jump around the map straight up icing people, first as ganks, and then even without. Then in team fights that taunt is a major asset.

Sion
As usual, people are going to come to Sion for one thing and it's going to backfire. That would be his shield. Even though the cooldown is 2 seconds, you still have to wait all 4 seconds to blow it up. That feels like an eternity in this mode. So why the high tier? Simply because of his Q. Not only is it one of the premier lockdown tools of this mode, it also hits like a ton bricks. And even though you can't rely on your shield exploding, you can put it up almost immediately after an opponent breaks it. Even his E and R have late game significance in a mode with a ton of backdooring, not to mention that his R is up permanently.

Taric
This is the real surprise sleeper. Everyone is busy banning Ali, Nida, and Sora, but nobody picks or bans Taric. Which is good for me I guess, because he has the truest permastun in the game, and the biggest heals. You can even use his ult twice per fight sometimes. How is someone this crazy not God Tier? Well... he's oddly horrible at even 1v2s. His W almost feels like a detriment to use, taking precious time you could spend healing or stunning.

God Tier
Alistar
Soraka can kill 1v5, but Alistar can tank 1v5. Any heal is abusable, but an AOE heal with an AOE stun? You can knock people around like it's nothing now, that ult is up all the time, and even his passive is deceptively amazingly at level 1.

Sona
Allow me to play you the song of my people... QWQEWQEQWEQWEQWEQWEWQEQWEQWEQWEWQEWQEWQEQEWQEQWEQWEQWEQWEWEQWEQWEWQEQWEQWEWQEWEQWEWQEWEQWEQWEQWEWEWQEWEWQEWQEWQEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEQWEWEWQEWQEWEQEWQE
RIP in peace

Soraka
Just... tear to my eyes beautiful. As a longtime (and sometime offensive) Soraka player, going 30/5 was just glorious. Her Q is already way stronger than Hecarims, but when you add in constant heals and the ability to neuter other purported "god tier" characters (here's looking at you LeBlanc, Urgot), Soraka may be the best this game mode has to offer.

Overall Thoughts
I guess I just don't think URF mode is as unbalanced as people say. There are certainly outliers, but they fall well within the 6 bans. In a game mode with 5x gold, the only way you can really get shut out is by getting behind in levels (in rare games the opponent can get up to double your level). Otherwise, every champ should be operating at high capacity by 20 minutes even if you're 3/10.

Last edited:
hecarim, nidalee, soraka, alistar, kayle, and skarner join the likes of sona, ryze, and kassadin on the permaban list[
i am overjoyed about this but goddammit riot why did you release urf when i have all this hw.

Poppy
She just felt really slow at dealing damage unfortunately. I could swear her Q used to do more damage, but Poppy is def more about the chase and even when you can stun she just doesn't offer enough damage.
If you manage to get trinity + spell vamp and life steal you're [i was] unbeatable 1v1, with your ultimate for teamfights (Q's cooldown decrease by level). But yeah it's a real struggle to farm especially against poke/dps and you can't win trade.

Heal on ADCs instead of Barrier?

supposedly this trend has reached Korea, reason enough for most people to think it's legit.

rundown of the two:

Barrier:
-Only lasts 2 seconds
-Larger damage reduction at level 1 (115 vs 90), ~same at level 7 (235), less at level 18 (455 vs 495)
-Usable while CC'd
-Shorter CD (210 vs 240)

Heal:
-Usable anytime during trade, always to some benefit (unless you're at full health lel)
-Removes healing reducing effects like Ignite (does NOT remove the DoT, the half healing effect still applies to the heal before the removal)
-Heals someone else as well (effectively doubles effective healing/damage reduction when compared to Barrier)
-30% movement speed boost for 2 seconds
-Does not reduce healing when multiple people use heal

it might not instantly be better than Barrier, but Heal definitely seems to be a good replacement on paper.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I prefer heal to barrier, for the fact that they kind of act the same but you are also able to help your team out during a team fight with a bait heal or something. Also the movement speed is really nice.

Also riot randomly buffing rumble :>>>>

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Hi Smogon, bronze player reporting in. I've been playing Malzahar recently quite a bit - he's super strong and has awesome lane kill potential, but I think I'm teamfighting with him wrong. I find it difficult to get into the proximity required to ult a priority target like the ADC and deal good damage without getting destroyed, especially due to his lack of gap closers/mobility. How would I remedy this, either through play adaptation or build change, oris it something that I shouldn't be expecting to do with Malz?

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
heal on supports gaf too. baits too strong. haven't convinced an adc to run heal at the same time as me though

also am I an adult now?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
No. Scaling MR and Scaling Armor AND Scaling Health are the more efficient investments. Especially scaling armor since flat armor was nerfed.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
New permabans are kinda silly, wtf you doing rito. Alistar alright, Soraka and Nidalee meh, the other three lol. I would find Soraka a lot less annoying if she didn't have a super secret hidden damage buff that lets her three-shot everyone with her Q; pretty sure it doesn't do that in regular gameplay and the "Awesome Buff" says nothing about increasing spell damage, just cooldowns. It's not her healing.

I would rock Vayne if I was playing enough to try out everything. I don't think the URF mechanics hurt her, if anything it's a huge boon you can straight-up cap Attack Speed with just BotRK and one other AS item so you can build more tanky than normal and still deal literally game-best DPS. Cho'gath is sneaky strong since he can nearly perma-knockup people (and perma-lockdown at any rate alternated with his silence) and it only takes him a minute to stack his ult even 0 -> 6.

In other news I will probably continue to run good ol' Flat Armor seals, although Scaling is a cool option now since the turnover point is only Level 6. Health is still inferior in my book unless you're going for some cheese Levels 1-3 stuff, as Armor scales much better. Flat's still plainly the best for jungling at any rate, they aren't entirely useless even if you no longer use them on laners.

Hi Smogon, bronze player reporting in. I've been playing Malzahar recently quite a bit - he's super strong and has awesome lane kill potential, but I think I'm teamfighting with him wrong. I find it difficult to get into the proximity required to ult a priority target like the ADC and deal good damage without getting destroyed, especially due to his lack of gap closers/mobility. How would I remedy this, either through play adaptation or build change, oris it something that I shouldn't be expecting to do with Malz?
You don't go for the "priority" targets as Malzahar, you sit back and melt tanks or enemy assassins who dive in with your ridiculous Max HP% damage pool and ult to hold them in it.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi I play malz too

Even in Bronze, your chances of making it to the ADC and sitting there channeling in a 5v5 are very slim. Malzahar's ult is best used, in my opinion, either after the fight to lock down a straggler, before the teamfight to get picks, or during the teamfight to peel for your ADC/yourself if a bruiser jumps into the backline. When I was in Bronze all people did was shout FOCUS ADC but that's not what you should be doing with your ult unless they are way out of position. Try and get Qs and Es on as many people as possible and you will do a fine job.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
This means we finally have an excuse for Mr.E to build LW on Vayne.

Also armor scales better but if you run flat HP vs flat armor you're about the same physical tankiness early but around the vicinity of 8% more magically defensive just because you have HP. If you have IP to blow, flat HP is probs better but it's honestly w/e.

u have not seen urf jayce if javelin toss is at all distressing for you

also yeah poppy will pretty much kill at least one person with her ult and the level 2 red buff ganks arent trifling. considering getting hydra as a third damage item on her just because you've got disgusting cash in this mode and i figure i wasn't healtanking 1v5s nearly enough to satisfy before

so swifties tf gblade hydra GA visage/zhonya's/randy's gg

Last edited:
Yea in terms of competitiveness this is probably BY FAR the best ogn so far, its just ridiculous. i guess its just a result of last ogn's skt dominance. teams had to train like monsters to try catch up.

SG Ozone vs SKT T1 K - I think ozone is the best team right now in the tournament, but skt is skt. This could go either way really, from a close 3-2 to a 3-0 in any direction. This could be absolutely epic.

SG Blue vs CJ Frost - I believe blue have what it takes to beat frost, coco had his shining moment on nidalee and he cant just gamble on that vs dade's godlike yasuo, and blue looked incredibly solid vs sword. Frost still has a lot of mistakes to fix, but they look a lot better and should put up a fight. I predict a 3-1 Blue.

KT Arrows vs CJ Blaze - Kta's performance vs skt was ridic but they are rather inconsistent, im afraid that was kind of a fluke. Blaze's warding is very good and kta maybe wont suceed with that pick style comp and daydream is on fire right now on blaze, I believe he can shut Kakao down. 3-0 or 3-1 blaze.

NaJin Shield vs KT Bullets - Shield's solo laners look ridiculous and they improved exponentially after that 3-0 loss to frost in summer, they play the map really well. Ktb is a huge question mark, if they play at their best (wich they rarely do) they would sweep this but I believe if shield dosent let ktb's top picks go through (khazix.......) they can force ktb to play bad, and I dont think shield are a one trick pony like skt s. I predict a close series 3-2 to shield.

nah i follow them equally its just that lcs gets boring after a while and then gets hot again. ogn is heart attacking at multiple points (especially this season).

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
No. Scaling MR and Scaling Armor AND Scaling Health are the more efficient investments. Especially scaling armor since flat armor was nerfed.
wait like even on squish?? this isn't for lategame tanks it's for adc/mage/shitoffense jungler (I build hydra lw on lee cos I'm a bad person)

Like lategame I'm going to be instagibed by anybody who wants to getting like 10 more armor isn't going to save me is it? but for trading early game flat is pretty worthit no?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)