1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

League of Legends: The Legendary Dragon Triumvirate - A BW2 Reincarnation

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Clarion Valenheart, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Clarion Valenheart

Clarion Valenheart

The Black / White 2 Reincarnation of
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG]
    Its BW Beginnings

= = = = = = = = = =
    [​IMG]
    = = = = = = = = = =

Hello again, Smogonites! Clarion Valenheart here, and it's been a long, long while to make an OU RMT thread here. The reason why I revived this team is because of the drop of Kyurem-B to OU and everyone (even on PO) gets hyped to it, if I'm not mistaken.

While there are some swaps between some Pokemon and between some sets, it actually preserved the style I'm happy to use on a higher level. A team once a Hazard-less offensive team now becomes a standardized offensive team due to the fact that the key things an offensive team should be is now present, especially an entry hazard in the form of the ubiquitous Stealth Rock. This team, however, grants a massive Dragon (can be tolerated), Ice and Rock weaknesses in which counters for the team are quite obvious.

Under the idiotfrommanila alt at the Pokemon Online server, I peaked to 1338 in 31 battles, and then got stuck to 1240+ to 1300+ range in the course of the laddering process, which is quite not good, thus I'm here to seek help once again to make this team (hopefully) better. However, I didn't play to Pokemon Showdown because of massive lags I've encountered (sorry!) If you want to know more about the Champions being selected in the League of Legends, click the picture itself in the "Team in its Fullest Detail" section of this thread.

Without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to present to you, the Black / White 2 Reincarnation of the "League of Legends: The Legendary Dragon Triumvirate".

= = = = = = = = = =
    [​IMG]
    = = = = = = = = = =

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Sejuani (Kyurem-B) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Freeze Shock
    - Fusion Bolt

Black Kyurem, or commonly known as Kyurem-B, introduces the first Dragon featured in this RMT, and introduces the first of the trio of Pokemon equipping a Choice item in this team. It is typically one of the Pokemon I chose as a lead. Starting things out with a huge bang is what I appreciated the most, especially that the nature of this team is very offensive.

It's pretty much underwhelming why people don't use Kyurem-B in OU when it is in fact OU two months ago (hence the revival and the reincarnation of the team). A Pokemon with a total base stats of 700, most notably its sky-high 170 base Attack, has entered OU because most people in the Ubers ladder tend to use Kyurem-W over Kyurem-B. Reason? Barren physical movepool. It has only Outrage, Dragon Claw, Fusion Bolt, and an unreliable Freeze Shock to boot, but they're more than enough to tear teams apart, especially with Choice Band equipped.

EV's and Nature are straightforward, just as how a Choice-equipped Pokemon should be. Maximize its Speed, and it will outrun Pokemon from the likes of Adamant Lucario and other Base 90 Pokemon with neutral Speed nature and Base 80 Pokemon with positive Speed nature. Maximize its Attack with a complementary Attack nature, and the damage output of Outrage will never fail to amaze. The rest remains into Defense; how can someone like Genesect boost their Attack with Download if Kyurem-B's Special Defense is lower than Defense?

I have some things to consider on Kyurem-B as of late: changing Freeze Shock to something else (thinking of a more stupid idea in the form of Rock Smash), and the change of nature from Adamant to Jolly because Kyurem-B will not guarantee Pokemon over Base 95's to outrun to them and make a kill. The matter of point is, I'm trying to find out the optimum damage output needed for Kyurem-B to secure a lot of OHKO's in this tier early-game. Your help about this dilemma is much more appreciated.

~ - ~ - ~

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Teemo (Victini) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Victory Star
    IVs: 0 Atk
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Blue Flare
    - Psyshock
    - Glaciate
    - Thunder

Victini introduces the second of the trio of Pokemon to equip a Choice item in this team. Alongside Kyurem-B, Victini is typically the Pokemon I chose as a lead. As Kyurem-B goes for a huge bang, tearing majority of their Pokemon apart with strong Outrages and Dragon Claws, Victini goes with a huge surprise, knocking out would-be counters as Victini is generally used as a huge user of V-create.

Choice Specs-boosted Blue Flare is pretty much an interesting choice because it has a 10 base power stronger than Fire Blast, and has 10% more chance of getting a burn than the said attack. While it's weaker than V-create, the surprise factor in Blue Flare makes up for these set of KO's. Glaciate makes Victini's checks in the form of Landorus, Gliscor, and Salamence think twice before switching in. Despite its weak base power (it's a powered-up version of Icy Wind, nothing else much otherwise), it allows to OHKO these Pokemon and their equivalents.

Aside from those two event moves, there leaves Psyshock and Thunder as the remaining moves to be filled in. Psyshock is a good STAB move for Victini, as it allows Blissey and Chansey to think twice before switching because it preys on the (physical) Defense of the pink blobs. Thunder seems to be out of place in this set, but it allows Victini to straight-up kill bulky Water-types that comes in the way, considering Rain-heavy teams run rampant in this tier.

EV's and Nature are straightforward, just as how a Choice-equipped Pokemon should be. Maximize its Speed, you'll outrun Pokemon with the likes of Jolly Kyurem-B without a Choice Scarf. Maximize its Special Attack coupled with a complementary nature, and Victini's Blue Flare, like Kyurem-B's Outrage, will never fail to amaze (Victory Star will help mitigate the miss caused by Blue Flare; it can miss on rare occasions). The remaining EV's are placed to Special Defense as the rare Download Pokemon (Porygon2 and Porygon-Z; Genesect doesn't exist here) will manage to boost only its Attack rather than their forte stat--Special Attack. Also, reduce its Attack IV's to 0, and Foul Plays from some Pokemon will deal fewer damage to Victini, and the confusion damage will be less as well.

There are a lot of things to consider on Victini, given an improved amount of Special movepool (thanks to the event moves Blue Flare and more significantly Glaciate). I'm considering Focus Blast somewhere, since Tyranitar runs rampant in the tier as well, trying to get into Victini's way. I also consider U-turn somewhere, but the nature of the team is not an attack-and-switch offensive tactic, but a straight-out offensive one.

~ - ~ - ~

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Rumble (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 96 HP / 160 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon

Teams with Dragon-type Pokemon that has no Steel-type Pokemon to support it is not good team building, as most people would agree. The prevalence of a DragMag team is a great play style in OU, and this team is no exception. I forgot to say that this team contains 3 Dragons and 1 Steel-type in the form of Magnezone, thus forms a 3Drag-1Mag team.

Magnezone's ability of trapping defensively-inclined Steel-type Pokemon is what makes Magnezone one of the most unique Pokemon, and still does it job better. When I spotted a Ferrothorn who doesn't have Bulldoze, I would give Magnezone a golden opportunity to switch in for Ferrothorn and slowly killing it with Charge Beam, immediately getting it to +6 Special Attack with little to no trouble (misses and not having a raise in Special Attack is not very helpful in some occasions, though) and perhaps sweep the rest of the team with it. This is also a straightforward sweeping set for Magnezone--Flash Cannon is used instead of a certain Hidden Power to avoid IV alterations.

EV's are quite modified here, but Speed is a must to be maximized, plus a Timid Nature to get the most out of its sweeping capabilities. However, being more knowledgeable now about the Leftovers number, I modified the EV's from 120 HP / 136 SAtk / 252 Spd to 96 HP / 160 SAtk / 252 Spd. 96 HP EV's on Magnezone grants 305 HP, a Leftovers number, which is great especially when Magnezone has a Substitute (however, it can be tweaked such that Ferrothorn can take three Power Whips to break a Substitute, and Scizor will get a minimum of three Bullet Punches to break a Substitute, so help is much more appreciated here as well), while the rest of the EV's are allocated to Special Attack--it's higher than the EV spread I did before!

~ - ~ - ~

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Malphite (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

Donphan is the newest addition of the team--a replacement to Tentacruel. Donphan allowed the team to acquire a new weapon for the team in the form of Stealth Rock (at an expense of the inability to check Ghost-types right away) while preserving the ability to spin hazards away. This one is Alec's suggestion I really took into consideration in the first incarnation of the League of Legends team, and I found out to be quite effective in this metagame.

The reason why Alec suggested Donphan over Tentacruel during the first incarnation of the team is because this team needs to tank hits from Salamence and Dragonite, most common and potent Outrage users in the tier. Since Magnezone is the only one that tanks Outrages in the team before, it'll be worn out in the succeeding turns where Magnezone is weakened (of course, we don't have a Wish passer here!) I'm very pleased that this Donphan is doing some work in the metagame, and thanks to Sturdy, Donphan has a lot of opportunities to shine!

The EV spread is quite odd, to say the least. However, to put it into perspective, it was Alec's suggestion to maximize EV's into Attack and give it a complementary Attack nature to maximize the damage output of Ice Shard (and even Earthquake) despite it will not KO due to their natural defensive bulk. Then, 192 HP EV's are optimal on Donphan in my opinion because Donphan will get 369 HP that way, thus granting Donphan a Leftovers number. The remaining EV's goes to Speed because it's filler, but I found out that Sassy-natured Tyranitars will take 85% damage from Donphan's max-attack Earthquake before Tyranitar does any work.

~ - ~ - ~

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Xerath (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Psyshock
    - Trick

Latios introduces the second Dragon to be featured in this RMT, and concludes the trio of Pokemon that uses a Choice item in the team. Because Tyranitar is scaring Latios off, I rarely chose Latios to open the match (but I lead with Latios on some occasions). Besides, Latios, because of Choice Scarf, acts as a revenge killer (most notably to Choice Scarf Salamence) and not as a lead.

Choice Scarf Latios is pretty much an integral part to success in some of my Wifi OU teams. It serves as one of the most potent revenge killers in the team (fuck people for those who don't believe Scarf Latios actually existed) while dishing a lot of damage to the opposition thanks to its STAB Draco Meteor. It can outrun every single Dragon you can think of, especially at +1 thanks to Dragon Dance; it can outrun every single Pokemon that abuses weather to gain Speed (bar Swift Swim Kingdra, but that is non-existent in the metagame and Timid variants of Chlorophyll Pokemon with 80 Speed above, i.e. Venusaur). Psyshock was placed over Thunder (in its first incarnation) because alongside the same-type attack bonus, it has great answers against most Fighting-type Pokemon that tries to get in the way in this team.

EV's and Nature are straightforward, just as how a Choice-equipped Pokemon should be. Maximize its Special Attack, and the damage output will be optimal for a Choice Scarf-boosted Pokemon. Maximize its Speed coupled with a complementary Speed Nature, and outrunning Pokemon from the likes of Dragon Dance Dragonite, Choice Scarf Salamence, and even Shell Smash Cloyster (without Ice Shard, though) will be a lot possible. Just like Victini and Magnezone with regards to the Confusion and Foul Play damage, Attack IV's should be reduced to 0.

~ - ~ - ~

[​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    Garen (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Fire Punch
    - ExtremeSpeed

Dragonite concludes the triumvirate of Legendary Dragons (Dragonite is pseudo-legendary, lol), and one of the most fearsome late-game sweepers in the OU metagame, once the weakness of the opposition has been spotted. Dragonite almost always guarantees to set up Dragon Dances when it's ready to take on opponents and start to sweep. With Multiscale, Dragonite can still survive a powerful hit at maximum health and unleashes its rage--this is where Rapid Spin support from Donphan comes in. Actually, this kind of Dragonite is very self-explanatory, as this set is very common and very easy to use--any player can use Dragonite with the right support.

The EV spread and nature is quite modified here; however, maximizing its Attack is a must if you want optimal damage output against some of the bulkiest of walls with Outrage. I got the BW1 Substitute + Dragon Dance Dragonite EV spread from Smogon as the 164 Speed EV's on Dragonite complemented with a positive Speed Nature allows to still outrun Breloom and other Base 70 Speed Pokemon with positive Speed Nature (if I'm not mistaken). The remaining EV's are placed in Special Defense; in my experience, when Multiscale is intact, even a Life Orb-boosted Landorus can never OHKO Dragonite with Hidden Power [Ice]. I'm not sure if the EV's are still good until BW2, but I can appreciate some changes on Dragonite's EV spread (maybe a max Attack-max Speed Dragonite will do, but depends on how it can be reasoned out).

Right now, I'm in a dilemma of using Earthquake over Fire Punch on Dragonite, because Earthquake manages to OHKO majority of the Steel-types in the tier. Skarmory and Ferrothorn, while walling Dragonite's set with Earthquake, can be taken care of easily by Magnezone. I also considered Fire Punch on Dragonite there because of Gengar's Substitute+Disable set that would struggle Dragonite if there's Earthquake in its arsenal.

= = = = = = = = = =
    [​IMG]
    = = = = = = = = = =

Seriously, did you read everything I explained? Congratulations. I hope you can rate as much as how I put a lot of effort in this RMT thread. Here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the BW2 Reincarnation of the "League of Legends: The Legendary Dragon Triumvirate".

As always, every team has its advantages and disadvantages; there is no absolutely perfect team to counter all teams. Everyone loses to hax, and it's really unavoidable to obtain that; even players didn't expect that to happen. I know that there are threats in this team that may found uncertain in some cases, but I wanted you to criticize my team in a constructive manner for the better of this team. Your criticisms and help are very much appreciated at this time.

= = = = = = = = = =
    [​IMG]
    = = = = = = = = = =

Show Hide
    Sejuani (Kyurem-B) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Freeze Shock
    - Fusion Bolt

Teemo (Victini) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Victory Star
    - Blue Flare
    - Psyshock
    - Glaciate
    - Thunder

Rumble (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 96 HP / 160 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon

Malphite (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

Xerath (Latios) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Psyshock
    - Trick

Garen (Dragonite) (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SDef / 164 Spd
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Fire Punch
    - ExtremeSpeed

[​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG] . | . [​IMG]

Thank you very much, and have a nice day. Fire away your rates!
  2. Bryce

Bryce Lun

hey there!

This is an interesting team,but it does have it's weaknesses.First of all,you look really Mamoswine weak as it beats 4 out of 6 of your pokemons and it can beat the other two also when locked into glaciate or fusion bolt.

You also look a little weak to Tornadus-T.Your Scarf Latios is the only thing that revenge kills Torn-T while it flat out beats the other 5 with rocks up and you don't have set up sweepers to put pressure or walls/checks for it.

First of all,I suggest changin Kyurem-B to a scarf variant.Personally,I think CB is the worst of the viable Kyurem-B sets as the opponent simply sacks least useful mon and comfortably revenges.Scarf makes Kyurem-B harder to revenge and still hits like a truck.I suggest you use a Naughty Nature with Outrage,Dclaw,Fusion Bolt and Ice beam.Ice beam lets you hit Gliscor and Def Hippo making it extremely hard to wall(that's a trait given to a scarfer T_T) with Mag support.Don't use Freeze shock,it sucks.Scarf Kyurem-B looks all around better on your team and it serves as an additional revenge killer reducing torn-t weakness.

To fix up Mamoswine issue,I suggest a Bulky Starmie over Donphan as a spinner.I don't see anything Donphan brings other than SR and a switch in to physical threats like Terrak.My next suggestion will take care of the former while the latter isn't a necessity on this team.Starmie is overall a better spinner,fixes Mamoswine issue and helps against a lot of threats in general.

Next,I suggest Lead SR Terrakion over victini.Your Victini set isn't very useful other than surprise factor.It gets revenged by a lot of prominent threats this meta while not being able to blast past walls when it's set is exposed.I assume it was mainly a way to synergize with your dragons.SR Terrakion has good synergy with your dragons offensively as well as decent defensive synergy.It also supplies SR if you go with starmie and and has better offensive presence over Victini.

Finally,I suggest changing Magnezone to Choice Specs variant.Sub charge can set up on steels but within that time their Ferrothorn would set up all the hazards in rain.Not to mention it loses to SpDef Rachi fire punch and SubCM Rachi in rain.Choice Specs lets you kill steels quickly and the extra power lets you beat SpDef and SubCM Rachi without too many boosts.Sub charge also isn't very threatning even after set up due to poor speed,

So the suggested changes are:

Kyurem-B-Scarf>Band
    SR Terrakion>Victini
    Starmie>Donphan
    Magnezone-Specs>Sub Charge

sets:
    Show Hide
    Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)/Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Good Luck :)
  3. Mr. Green

Mr. Green

Hi, there

Personally deliver thee Freeze Shock on Kyurem-B and would Naughty> Adamant, maybe putting Ice Beam, that both major damage to Gliscor, Landorus, Hippowdon, makes them equally and not likely to be hit on the turn they must attack Freeze Shock. I suggest Ice Beam, because I do not think HP Fire helpful, since there is already Magnezone to take care of Steel to give free field to the three dragons.
    For Donphan do not understand what good is the evs in speed that you gave, you need to pass someone in particular? Otherwise I would add the other 192 in HP to withstand more to Terrakion Close Combat Choice Bander, or you can give in defense.
    For despite Gengar Dragonite I would however Earthquake> Fire Punch, partly because the steel them out of the way and Magnezone Earthquake eliminates much easier Jirachi, Tentacruel, Toxicroak, Gengar for after a Dragon Dance are faster and you can kill a lot of Outrage then Lum Berry will cure you the confusion to attack again with confidence, you have also to kill Gengar also Scarf Latios and Ice Shard of Donphan, so it is not so problematic for me.

tl;dr
    Show Hide

Ice Beam > Freeze Shock
    Naughty > Adamant
    Earthquake > Fire Punch
    192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def or in the HP
  4. Clarion Valenheart

Clarion Valenheart

Bumping for more rates.

#notsatisfied
  5. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey there, I got your request so I'll give you a rate.

First of all, your team is quite weak to Tornadus-T because you haven't switch into it and you can only revenge-kill it with Choice Scarf Latios. Therefore, I suggest you to use Choice Scarf Magneton, replacing Magnezone. Choice Scarf Magneton is a good check for Tornadus-T so I think it's fine for your team. I remember you that Choice Scarf Magneton can outspeed Tornadus-T and Magnezone can't do it, this is the reason to use CS Magneton. I will post its set below in this rate. Then, I'd change Victini's nature to Timid nature. Choice Specs already gives you much fire power and Timid nature is useful to try to outspeed other pokèmon with 100 base Spe without Choice Scarf like Salamence so it's better than Modest nature. Finally, on Dragonite I suggest you to use Earthquake, replacing Fire Punch. You have already Magneton to trap-kill Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress and Gengar isn't a big problem for your team because you can revenge-kill it Latios and Magneton. Earthquake otherwise allows to hit more hard Jirachi and to KO Heatran which can be problematic for this team because Magneton can't trap-kill them.

Anyways, cool team! Here's the set you should use:

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Magneton @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon

I hope I helped, good luck!
  6. Clarion Valenheart

Clarion Valenheart

Bumping for more rates.

Things worth considering:
    Starmie over Donphan
    Terrakion over Victini
    Magneton (Choice Scarf) over Magnezone

#notsatisfied

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)