Learning the Ropes-Plead for Assistance

So I've just gotten into competitive play, although I've been enjoying watching it for the better part of a year, and I want to finally start myself. I wanted to build a team that was a little different, which was probably my first mistake, but I tried to cover my ass where I had to and this is the result, please tell me where I went horribly, horribly wrong.

Meganium @ Leftovers
Overgrow
Evs:4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef
Calm (+SpDef, -Atk)
~ Substitute
~ SolarBeam
~ Toxic
~ Synthesis

So I started with something I made up which was a Meganium that Walls using Sub and Synthesis, setting up Toxic and getting off SolarBeams when it can while under a drought/sunny day set up by my Ninetales.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Drought
Evs:136 HP/252 SpAtk/120 Spe
Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
~ Sunny Day
~ SolarBeam
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Flamethrower

A standard Sunny Day Ninetales I chose because Meganium that I wanted to be my core had a lot of basis on the sun being up and the Sunny Day set was built specifically to win weather wars.

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Justified
Evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
~ Rock Polish
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

I needed a coverage for Fire which could threaten my Meganium so I decided to go with Terrakion for the rock typing over water because water is weaker in the sun. It's a Double Dance Set that I chose because on the chance that my Meganium was down I wanted to be able to set up a sweep that didn't require my wall.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire
Evs: 252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Flamethrower
~ Overheat
~ Hidden Power
~ Earth Power

A Scarfed Heatran I chose because I felt that Ninetales was weak as far as fire type coverage for the team and was only really there to make sure my sun stayed up.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Evs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Impish (+Def, -SpAtk)
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang
~ Taunt

I chose the Gliscor as a lesser secondary wall to last out any turns I had to wait for Meganium's Toxic to finish up. Went with a slightly more offensive set because aside from Meganium's Toxic I don't have any lasting damage unless Heatran or Ninetales get burns and Gliscor might have to be able to deal damage as well as take it.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Moxie
Evs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtk)
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Stone Edge
~Earthquake

Gyarados was meant to come into play in case I failed to set up my sun before Ninetales fainted, which would make Meganium useless and would also mean that I could make better use of the Water typed support.

So please tell me if the idea is even worth saving, or indeed if I should just try to learn a bunch more before ever trying again. I'm sure I did something wrong because I was immediately sweeped online when I tried to play. Please and Thank you.

Well I can only offer my opinions on your team, I'm not able to do damage calcs or anything else for you.

Weather wars are what's going on right now, and frankly, sun is just not the best weather (considering the Pokemon filling most sunny day teams) to go up against other types of weather with. T-tar and Politoed are both slower than Tales, so that means they will have the advantage of their weather staying up. Seeing as how you don't have another sunny weather starter (yet) or any Chlorophyll users, I would work on those issues first, probably starting with replacing Meganium with Shiftry or another Chlorophyll user. Honestly I think using Meganium is a mistake because it's sooo outclassed by other grass types.

If you go with sunny day, might I recommend a Sassy natured Tails with Sub/Disable.
It can be a bit more meddlesome for the opponent to take down (Especially for Politoed.)

The problem I see is going to be your opponents' sandstorm teams. Especially with T-tar, Excadrill, Garchomp and Landorus being super popular. For good reason, they are insanely powerful with the protection of their weather, and not threatened by sunshine for the most part.

Consider something to counter them, like your own Landorus, it can do a fine job, being faster than Gliscor and playing a different role, you may end up slapping a choice band on that sucker and sending it out to wreak havoc.

I like Tran + GDos, they have some pretty good synergy though I still see that only Terrakion on your team actually takes less than neutral damage from rock type moves.

Anyway I will stop monologing over here and let you read my thoughts...

I'm going to disagree with some of what JackBNimble is saying. Sun is not necessarily a bad weather, you just have to make sure that you are able to capitalize on the good aspects of it, such as chlorophyll abusers, which is where I agree with him.
Meganium sucks, no offense, but he is just a wall meant to take hits, and sun teams are typically more offensive in nature, and yours seems to be offensive. I'd recommend replacing him with a Shiftry, Sawsbuck, Venusaur, or Lilligant. I personally prefer Lilligant, but Venusaur and Shiftry are the best "sweepers."
Venusaur@life orb
Chlorophyll
Modest
-Growth
-Solarbeam
-HP Fire
-Sludge Bomb
4 hp/252 spA/252 spe
A purely special set helps your team a lot since you have mainly physical sweepers, and this helps to balance it out. He is completely walled by Heatran, but Gliscor, Gyara, and Terrakion easily take care of him.
Your Ninetales set is great; keep it.
I will agree w/ JackBNimble on a Scarf Landorus to replace Gliscor and then making your Heatran the standard specially defensive version that you can find on site.
Lastly, Gyara isn't doing much, and you could use a rapid spinner, so I'm going to suggest Harsha's Starmie set from his RMT Eruption.
Starmie@leftovers
Timid
-HP Fire
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
252 spA/4 spD/252 spe
Gyarados is great, but water moves are not going to be very helpful on a sun team, and Starmie still resists the fighting and water attacks that Gyara did helping with your combo with Heatran. Rapid Spinners are also very nice to have on sun teams because it allows Ninetales to come in more to make sure sun is up.
I hope this helped and good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)