Leavanny [QC 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

Such an elegant bug~
(QC: 3/3)
[From: WhiteDMist | tennisace | Dat Blast]

(GP: 0/2)
[From: piikachuu | Rohail]
[Overview]

<p>Leavanny's typing is very uncommon, with its dual STABs hitting the premier walls of NU, such as Musharna, Tangela, and Alomomola, for super effective damage. It has a nice Attack stat with some fun moves to play with. Unfortunately, its Speed falls just short of the 95 Speed tier, being outsped by Jynx and Haunter. Leavanny also has an unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock, stripping away 25% of its health every time it switches in. Leavanny's bulk isn't the best and leaves much to be desired. Its typing is a dual-edged sword; while it provides great resistances to common Fighting-, Grass-, Water-, Ground-, and Electric-types, it also provides unfortunate weaknesses to Fire, Flying, Ice, and Rock. Despite all these flaws, Leavanny can provide substantial team support.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Leaf Blade
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Synthesis
move 4: Heal Bell
item: Life Orb
ability: Swarm
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set capitalizes on Leavanny's typing and movepool, using its most useful moves in its arsenal as well as possible. It is mandatory for Leavanny to have STAB moves, as that is one of the few reasons to use it at all. Leavanny is usually attacking straight away since it does not want to waste turns when checks and counters are still in play&mdash;which is very often the case. Synthesis heals off any entry hazard damage taken, while also mitigating the damage done by Life Orb. Synthesis is also particularly useful, as it becomes a shield from Sucker Punch, which Leavanny can survive from any Pokemon in the tier at full health. Heal Bell is great for team support and also removes any status that gives Leavanny trouble. Synthesis, in conjunction with Heal Bell, allows Leavanny to beat various walls such as Alomomola and Wartortle, among various other Pokemon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Jolly is crucial to outspeed base 90 Speed tier Pokemon, such as Zangoose, who is OHKOed after Stealth Rock. Life Orb is required for maximum damage output, scoring the OHKO on Golurk, Zangoose, and Ludicolo, while achieving the 2HKO on Alomomola and Musharna. Swords Dance can help muscle past walls such as Musharna and Alomomola before they can heal, but Leavanny is easily revenge killed and it won't be staying around long enough anyway. Swarm is Leavanny's other ability, but is as situational as Chlorophyll, which is more effective in general. Magic Coat is an option to bounce back entry hazards and status, but Heal Bell keeps status away and is not as difficult to predict; however, Magic Coat Leavanny is a solid check to Prankster users such as Riolu and Liepard. Carracosta is a great teammate as Leavanny and Carracosta cover each others weaknesses almost perfectly, and Carracosta can also set up Stealth Rock for Leavanny. Leavanny appreciates a teammate that can absorb Toxic Spikes, such as Skuntank, which can also Pursuit trap Misdreavus and Haunter, both of which give Leavanny trouble. Torkoal is an option as a spinner to start forming a Fire / Water / Grass core and take on all the Fire- and Bug-type attacks aimed at Leavanny. RestTalk Regice is a great partner as it can stop rain teams and Articuno and Vileplume, Pokemon Leavanny struggles with, while Leavanny can remove its sleep status with Heal Bell. Eelektross makes for a good partner to muscle through Mandibuzz, as well as other Flying-types that Leavanny cannot beat. Another partner that works well is Misdreavus, as it can spinblock and Taunt any Stealth Rock leads.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Leavanny has access to Baton Pass, but it is severely outclassed by Scolipede, Sawsbuck, and Leafeon as a Baton Passer. Sunny Day is an option to take advantage of Chlorophyll, but then it has to give up a moveslot and will just be a lot weaker to Fire-type moves. Leavanny also has access to dual screens, but Serperior outclasses it as it has access to Taunt, better Speed and bulk, and a lack of a Stealth Rock weakness. Calm Mind is an option if you opt for a special or Baton Pass set, but Musharna outclasses it in every way. Giga Drain is a recovery option, but it is very weak and Synthesis is more reliable. A Mind Reader and GrassWhistle combo looks good on paper, but is very gimmicky, difficult to set up, and Leavanny is better off attacking or supporting its team with Heal Bell. Leavanny can opt for a full attacking set, but it isn't very useful and is easily worn down. Shadow Claw is one of Leavanny's few other physical moves worth considering, as it hits Misdreavus and Drifblim for nice damage. Return is another option to knock out Charizard after Stealth Rock. Finally, a special set could work as it has access to many special moves such as Air Slash, Bug Buzz, Energy Ball, and Leaf Storm, but it has a very low Special Attack, so they will not be doing much.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Poison-types, such as Garbodor, Golbat, and Scolipede, take absolutely nothing from any of Leavanny's moves, even if they are boosted. Fire-types literally incinerate it to pieces and take nothing from either of its STABs. Flying-types put a halt to Leavanny, especially Mandibuzz and Braviary. Leavanny is hard walled by Steel-types, as it has no moves to effectively hit them at all. Any Pokemon that has base 93 Speed or above ruins its day and can easily kill it off, as it is very frail, leaving it open to being revenge killed. Taunt makes it so it cannot heal or remove status, making it much less useful. Leavanny's Stealth Rock weakness is also a burden, as it loses 25% of its HP just for switching, however Synthesis somewhat makes up for this.</p>

[Overview]
  • An uncommon typing in Bug and Grass.
  • Decent speed.
  • Above average attack.
  • Nice resistances in Fighting, Grass, Water, Ground, and Electric, which are common types in NU
  • Stealth Rock strips away 25% health every time it switches in.
  • Outspeed by the two prominent fire-types, Charizard and Rapidash, and it just falls short of the important 95 Speed Tier.
  • Small movepool.
  • Very frail, meaning it will only survive resisted hits.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Leaf Blade
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Synthesis
move 4: Heal Bell
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • This set capitalizes on Leavanny's movepool and typing and is Leavanny's best bet.
  • Mandatory Dual STAB; the reason to use Leavanny.
  • Leavanny is usually attacking straight away since it does not want to waste turns when counters and checks are still into play - which is very often the case.
  • Synthesis to set up defensively and to recover damage from hazards, it also can be used to avoid Sucker Punch, further strengthened by the fact that Leavanny lives all unboosted Sucker Punches residing in NU if at maximum health, which is useful, causing the second Sucker Punch not to kill Leavanny.
  • The last move is reserved to aid your team, Heal Bell to cure status when facing a variety of walls.
  • Synthesis and Heal Bell combined with Leavanny's STABs can be used to stall and kill Alomomola, Wartortle, and a myriad of support variants of Pokémon. Leavanny 2HKO's most of them.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Jolly is crucial to outspeed things sitting at base 85 and base 90 speed. Zangoose deserves a special mention here as this EV-spread allows you to outspeed and OHKO Zangoose after Stealth Rock.
  • Life Orb is obvious, even with a semi-defensive approach. Crucial OHKO's, on Golurk, Zangoose and Ludicolo, and 2HKO's, on Alomomola and Musharna, are just too important to pass up, and Life Orb is required to reach this damage output.
  • Swords Dance can help muscle past walls such as Musharna and Alomomola, but Leavanny is easily revenge killed and it won't be staying around long, it just isn't worth it.
  • Swarm can be used, but like with Chlorophyll, it is a tad situational as you rarely get any use out of them. Chlorophyll, however, provides a much larger bonus when it finally kicks in.
  • Magic Coat can be used to bounce back Status and other annoying things like Roar, but is usually inferior to Heal Bell. But if you feel you can do without, Magic Coat is a solid replacement.
  • Magic Coat Leavanny is a solid check to a variety of Prankster abusers, like Liepard and Riolu which is a nice bonus.
  • Note that Magic Coat is not reliable against hazard setters, as most hazard setters hit Leavanny for a huge chunk of damage, that is, if they don't outright OHKO it. Garbodor has a tendency to attempt to set up hazards on Leavanny, though, but staying in for the Magic Coat to bounce back those Spikes is a big risk because Gunk Shot OHKO's Leavanny.
  • Defensive Carracosta is a great teammate as Leavanny and Carracosta cover each others weaknesses almost perfectly. Carracosta can also set up Rocks for Leavanny.
  • Leavanny appreciates a teammate that can absorb Toxic Spikes, such as Skuntank, who can also Pursuit trap Misdreavus and Haunter, who both give Leavanny trouble.
  • Torkoal can also work as a spinner, and can form a Grass-Fire-Water core with Carracosta. It can also deal with things which trouble Leavanny and tank Bug- and Fire attacks for Leavanny. Be wary as you slow down your team though, which can be unfavourable.
  • RestTalk Regice (helps dealing with Rain Teams, Articuno and Vileplume, things Leavanny struggles with, as well as Leavanny being capable of using Heal Bell to wake up Regice)
  • Support Misdreavus is a great teammates for Leavanny, as it can spinblock and Taunt SR leads.
  • Fighting-Types make exceptional partners for there ability to beat Steel-Types and Mandibuzz.
[Other Options]
  • A Baton Pass set could be utilized, but it is harshly outclassed by the likes of leafeon, Sawsbuck, and Scolipede.
  • Sunny Day can be used to make use of Chlorophyll, but then it has to give up a moveslot, and will just be all the more weak to Fire-Types.
  • It has access to Dual Screens, but it is mostly outclassed by Serperior, who has better speed, bulk, and Taunt.
  • Calm Mind is usable on any Baton Pass set, but it is hopelessly outclassed by Musharna.
  • Giga Drain can be used on any support set for the added recovery, but it is very weak.
  • A Mind Reader + GrassWhistle combo looks good on paper, but in battle it is very hard to set up, and Leavanny needs the time it has to do it's work, plus it isn't very bulky.
  • An All-Out attacker set is possible, but Leavanny hates switching and it isn't very powerful without boosts.
  • A move worth consideration is Shadow Claw, which can be used if you want to catch Haunter and Drifblim as well as deal slightly more damage to Misdreavus.
  • Return can be used if you want to kill Charizard after Rocks on the switch in, but it doesn't really get good coverage otherwise.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Poison-Types take absolutely nothing from Leavanny, and most like Garbodor, Golbat, and Scolipede wall it entirely, even with boosts.
  • Fire-Types such as Charizard and Rapidash can easily defeat Leavanny, and take nothing from it's STAB attacks.
  • Flying-Types such as Mandibuzz and Braviary also put a halt to Leavanny.
  • Steel-Types ruin Leavanny's day, completely walling anything it throws at it.
  • Anything with more than 92 Speed can usually Knock Out Leavanny, as it has as much bulk as a wet piece of paper.
  • Taunt prevents Leavanny from setting up, rendering it not as powerful.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's been a while since I've used Leavanny, but why would I use it as a CM Passer or a Dual Screener over better Pokemon for those roles (Musharna for CM Pass, Serperior for Dual Screens)? Leavanny is much too frail to set up multiple Calm Minds, and the moves you have don't make use of it at all. For stronger boosts I'd rather just pass Nasty Plot/Tail Glow instead. As for Dual Screens, Serperior is just significantly faster and bulkier, so it is much more capable of setting up both screens (and its set uses Taunt which this set doesn't). I want to hear your arguments for these sets before anything gets decided.

For the SD set, I'd say that the last slow should be Baton Pass / Shadow Claw. Leavanny is hardly bulky enough to use Synthesis, and these moves are far more helpful overall (Shadow Claw for Misdreavus, Baton Pass for team support). Return doesn't provide any real coverage, and most of the time its STAB moves do more damage. Why bother slashing Adamant without having a good reason? Does it get any extra KOs?

In Other Options, I would like to see a mention about the Utility set of Heal Bell|Magic Coat / Synthesis / Leaf Blade / X-Scissor, as it was actually decent when I tested it before, but I want someone who has more experience with the set during the current metagame to give their input.

As for Checks and Counters, Stealth Rock shouldn't be the first point as it does not counter Leavanny at all. The offensive set doesn't care as it focuses on attacking, the Dual Screen set should focus mostly on setting up and dying quickly, and the BP set wouldn't likely survive to pass more than once regardless. It merely dies a bit faster (which is pretty quick since none of your sets uses Synthesis). For Flying-types, Articuno is not that relevant in this metagame; I'd replace it with Mandibuzz or something. Poison-types should be a much bigger mention (I would say first as they can actually take most of Leavanny's attacks), as Weezing and Golbat are a couple of excellent counters, and they are definitely not uncommon (Scolipede and Garbodor are quite popular). Misdreavus needs a bigger mention as it can counter Leavanny unless it has Shadow Claw and uses SD. Move Steel-types before revenge killers/faster Pokes as well. Leavanny doesn't use Aerial Ace, it uses Shadow Claw more likely, so change that in the Shedinja mention.

No to Occa Berry, what does it even help against?

It's been a while since I've used Leavanny, but why would I use it as a CM Passer or a Dual Screener over better Pokemon for those roles (Musharna for CM Pass, Serperior for Dual Screens)? Leavanny is much too frail to set up multiple Calm Minds, and the moves you have don't make use of it at all. For stronger boosts I'd rather just pass Nasty Plot/Tail Glow instead. As for Dual Screens, Serperior is just significantly faster and bulkier, so it is much more capable of setting up both screens (and its set uses Taunt which this set doesn't). I want to hear your arguments for these sets before anything gets decided.

For the SD set, I'd say that the last slow should be Baton Pass / Shadow Claw. Leavanny is hardly bulky enough to use Synthesis, and these moves are far more helpful overall (Shadow Claw for Misdreavus, Baton Pass for team support). Return doesn't provide any real coverage, and most of the time its STAB moves do more damage. Why bother slashing Adamant without having a good reason? Does it get any extra KOs?

In Other Options, I would like to see a mention about the Utility set of Heal Bell|Magic Coat / Synthesis / Leaf Blade / X-Scissor, as it was actually decent when I tested it before, but I want someone who has more experience with the set during the current metagame to give their input.

As for Checks and Counters, Stealth Rock shouldn't be the first point as it does not counter Leavanny at all. The offensive set doesn't care as it focuses on attacking, the Dual Screen set should focus mostly on setting up and dying quickly, and the BP set wouldn't likely survive to pass more than once regardless. It merely dies a bit faster (which is pretty quick since none of your sets uses Synthesis). For Flying-types, Articuno is not that relevant in this metagame; I'd replace it with Mandibuzz or something. Poison-types should be a much bigger mention (I would say first as they can actually take most of Leavanny's attacks), as Weezing and Golbat are a couple of excellent counters, and they are definitely not uncommon (Scolipede and Garbodor are quite popular). Misdreavus needs a bigger mention as it can counter Leavanny unless it has Shadow Claw and uses SD. Move Steel-types before revenge killers/faster Pokes as well. Leavanny doesn't use Aerial Ace, it uses Shadow Claw more likely, so change that in the Shedinja mention.

No to Occa Berry, what does it even help against?

I will edit this all, but wait, do you want me to remove the two sets, or?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No, I want to hear your arguments for why they should stay. If you or someone else doesn't have any decent ones, then QC will decide whether to remove it or not.

No, I want to hear your arguments for why they should stay. If you or someone else doesn't have any decent ones, then QC will decide whether to remove it or not.
Ok, to be 100% honest, Serperior completely slipped my mind, I never use it and I don't see it too often. But, your points are very valid and I cannot argue with that, I will remove the Dual Screens set, but would putting something like "It has access to Dual Screens, but Serperior outclasses it because it is faster, has more bulk, and can use Taunt"

Here are my arguments on the BP set:
The BP set deserves to stay because it is very helpful in aiding it's teammates out. Calm Mind I will move to OO, but other than that I don't see why this set should not be on-site?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
here's the thread from last time

qc discussed this on irc a bit, replace the SD set with the "utility counter" set, SD is downright terrible and can't set itself apart from like... anything. sawsbuck is infinitely better at passing SDs since it doesn't get auto-outrun by base 95 pokemon.[/URL]

BP is bad, cut it. There's no reason to use it over Sawsbuck, Leafeon, or Scolipede, who are all faster and have either no Stealth Rock weakness or a much stronger STAB to work with. Dual Screens is horrible. You can mention them both in OO. We're working on what we want for a set for Leavanny, but all of these sets are 100% outclassed.

BP is bad, cut it. There's no reason to use it over Sawsbuck, Leafeon, or Scolipede, who are all faster and have either no Stealth Rock weakness or a much stronger STAB to work with. Dual Screens is horrible. You can mention them both in OO. We're working on what we want for a set for Leavanny, but all of these sets are 100% outclassed.
here's the thread from last time

qc discussed this on irc a bit, replace the SD set with the "utility counter" set, SD is downright terrible and can't set itself apart from like... anything. sawsbuck is infinitely better at passing SDs since it doesn't get auto-outrun by base 95 pokemon.[/URL]
Ok, so delete all sets and replace them with Utility? I'm not sure what to edit quite yet, so I will wait until you respond :)

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
you can't just copy/paste the completed set, you need to put it back into skeleton form. the analysis was eventually rejected because the writing was below our standards. the set itself is fine, but you need to go through the c&c process.

you can't just copy/paste the completed set, you need to put it back into skeleton form. the analysis was eventually rejected because the writing was below our standards. the set itself is fine, but you need to go through the c&c process.

Oh ok, it's just that you said to copy/paste it, but ok. I will write it up now.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
In case you mistook tennis' meaning, you aren't supposed to write it up. You are supposed to make it a skeleton. That previous on ALREADY HAS a skeleton in HIDE tags, so you only need to copy and paste THAT, not the write-up paragraphs.

In case you mistook tennis' meaning, you aren't supposed to write it up. You are supposed to make it a skeleton. That previous on ALREADY HAS a skeleton in HIDE tags, so you only need to copy and paste THAT, not the write-up paragraphs.

Ok, done. Sorry that I am doing so bad ):

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • Remove the part about being a setup sweeper / Baton Passer. Since those sets aren't listed in the analysis you can't really say Leavanny's "good" at them.
  • Remove the point about getting walled by Steel-types. It's mostly unnecessary.
  • Remove the last two points and just say how Leavanny's super frail, so it won't live many hits it doesn't resist.
[SET COMMENTS]
  • There's a big space in between two of your points, so just delete that for the sake of other QCers. :)
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Don't bother saying "the EVs are mandatory," it's just max / max. Keep the rest of that bullet point though, but remove the very first part.
  • Remove the point about Chlorophyll, or at least tone it down. I'm pretty sure Leavanny isn't exclusively for use on sun teams, so don't act like Chlorophyll is mandatory for the set's success.
  • Mention SD here, and how it can make killing Mushy / Alomomola / etc. easier. But since Leavanny isn't generally staying in for long periods of time (and gets revenged easily) it isn't worth it.
  • Again, another big space between two bullet points.
  • Don't mention Spikes support unless it gets any specific KOs. All Pokémon love Spikes so there's no need to mention it otherwise.
  • Replace the Gardevoir mention with Jynx just cause Jynx is generally better.
  • You should probably take out the Flash Fire mention since there really aren't many good users of it in NU. Flareon's decent I guess, but I'd really rather just cut it.
  • Remove the last three points. They were all either mentioned already or unnecessary.
[Other Options]
  • In the second point, specifically list some of the "other" physical options Leavanny has (or just remove it cuz I really can't think of anything else).
  • Cut RestTalk, it completely sucks.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Cut Shedinja. Shedinja is really rare and there's no need to point out every specific mon that gets walled by it.
Implement pls Chesnaught , and I'll check back later.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
I don't like Magic Coat very much at all, it's not really "utility" enough to make this a utility set. It's also somewhat situational, and Heal Bell helps with status regardless. I'd say move it to AC for now, unless someone has a very good argument for it to keep its slash. Chlorophyll isn't that useful either, so I'd actually prefer Swarm since it is less situational even with Synthesis. Leavanny isn't that good on Sun teams, and it doesn't exactly destroy opposing Sun teams on its own either.

For the Overview, change the point about being outsped by Rapidash and Charizard to the fact that it fails to outspeed the important base 95 Speed tier. Fire, Bug, and Flying types also resist its STABs, not just Steel types; change that.

Those special moves in Other Options should be the last point, not the first. Implement this and Dat Blast's check.

tennisace

-You still need to remove Magic Coat as a slash on the actual set.
-Move Swords Dance, Return, and Shadow Claw to OO. I know Dat Blast just said to add SD, but it is definitely OO material.
-Remove the mention of SR in AC unless it gets specific KOs, in which case list them.

tennisace

Added your changes

P.S: Just for everyone reviewing this thread, this set and the AC / SC aren't mine. I just was feeling guilty about stealing them, I'm weird like that :/

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Just call it "Utility", the Counter part isn't actually true or relevant. Move those 4 HP EVs to Def. For teammates, why Jynx specifically? Simply say that Psychic-types are good teammates because they can power through Poison-types and have either good bulk or coverage that helps deal with Flying-types (and then give examples). Honestly, I would instead prefer that you mention Fighting-types as good teammates for being able to power through Steel-types as well as Mandibuzz. Pursuit users, especially Skuntank and Liepard, is a good teammate as they beat Misdreavus and Haunter most of the time, and these Pokes either wall or outspeed Leavanny. Separate Misdreavus and RestTalk Regice mentions, I don't get why they are on the same point. For the mention of a teammate that absorbs Toxic Spikes, actually give examples (including the aforementioned Skuntank, or Garbodor). For Other Option, mention an offensive Swords Dance set with Baton Pass; despite it not really being that great, it does have decent dual STABs.

We know that they aren't yours, but in the future feel free to edit them to update them to the current metagame/fix mistakes/etc. Once these are implemented

qc 1/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)