1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ledian

Discussion in 'Dragonspiral Tower' started by NixHex, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NixHex

NixHex No excuses
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ledian
    [​IMG]
    Type: Bug/Flying
    Abilities:
    Swarm - Increases the power of Bug moves by 50% if Ledian is at 1/3 health.
    Early Bird - Amount of sleep turns is cut in half
    Dream World: Iron Fist - The power of punching moves is increased by 20%

Base Stats: 55 / 35 / 50 / 55 / 110 / 85

Movepool:
    Code:
    Level-up:
    Tackle
    Supersonic
    Comet Punch
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Safeguard
    Mach Punch
    [COLOR=Red]Baton Pass
    [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Red]Silver Wind[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Red]Agility[/COLOR]
    Swift
    Double Edge
    Bug Buzz

In-game NPC:
    Double Edge
    Air Cutter
    Bug Bite
    DynamicPunch
    Endure
    Headbutt
    Ice Punch
    Knock Off
    Mega Punch
    Mimic
    Mud Slap
    Ominous Wind
    Rollout
    Sleep Talk
    Snore
    String Shot
    Substitute
    Swagger
    [COLOR=Red]Swords Dance[/COLOR]
    Tail Wind
    Thunderpunch
    Uproar
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    TM:
    Focus Punch
    Toxic
    Hidden Power
    Sunny Day
    Hyper Beam
    Protect
    Frustration
    Return
    Solarbeam
    Dig
    Brick Break
    Double Team
    Aerial Ace
    Facade
    Attract
    Thief
    Sing-a-round
    Focus Blast
    Fling
    Acrobat
    Giga Impact
    Flash
    Struggle Bug
    U-turn
    Rock Smash
    Strength

Gen 5 Egg moves:
    Psybeam
    Bide
    Screech
    Encore
    Focus Punch
    Drain Punch

Gen 4 TM/Move Tutor Moves:
    Giga Drain
    [COLOR=Red]Roost[/COLOR]
    Captivate
    Natural Gift
    Roll Out
    Tail Wind

Well, we're more than 4 months into UT and surprisingly enough, still no Ledian thread. Boy, look at that attacking movepool! Focus Punch, Focus Blast, Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Thunderpunch, Ice Punch, Bug Bite, Bug Buzz, DynamicPunch, Mach Punch, U-turn... some of which should complement its Dream World ability Iron Fist quite well. Unfortunately, Ledian hits like a whiffle ball bat from both spectra with terrible 35/55 attacking stats, completely wasting any potential these moves have. It has a great 110 Special Defense stat, but any potential Ledian has of being a bulky support Pokemon is wasted with its awful 55 HP and 50 Defense. It has Encore, Baton Pass and great boosting moves such as Agility and Swords Dance, but its ho-hum Speed and crippling 4x Stealth Rock hinder any chance it has at being a reliable Baton Passer. All in all, Ledian is an inferior Ninjask who has a harder time finding a niche role a lead due to lack of Speed Boost. Everything it can do, someone else can do better. Let's get to the sets that Ledian can use. However, Encore is a great asset as a Baton Passer, as Ledian is significantly more bulky and faster than Smeargle (Encore acts as a pseudo Spore).

[set]
    name: Realistic Baton Pass
    ability: Early Bird
    nature: Jolly
    item: Focus Sash / Lum Berry
    move 1: Encore
    move 2: Agility
    move 3: Swords Dance
    move 4: Baton Pass
    EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpD / 252 Spe

Does this look familiar? Probably not, unless you read every 4th Generation analysis on-site. This set has literally not changed in the transition to Black and White. Ledian needs maximum Speed and runs no attacking moves, so you are free to focus the rest of its EVs on its Special Bulk. Switch Ledian in on a Choice-locked Ground-type attack and start boosting, or switch into something slower and Encore its Grount-type attack. It's best to start with Agility while they switch, then Swords Dance, survive the oncoming hit with Focus Sash, hope they don't have a priority move, then Baton Pass the hell out of there.

In order for this set to work, there must be no Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, or hail on the field, and you must avoid enemy priority. Also, Mischievous Heart users totally ruin this set, so make sure they are out of the picture as well. All-in-all, this takes a ton of support and weather cancelling to work.

[set]
    name: Screen Pass
    ability: Early Bird
    nature: Jolly
    item: Light Clay / Lum Berry / Leftovers
    move 1: Encore
    move 3: Reflect
    move 2: Light Screen / Agility / Swords Dance
    move 4: Baton Pass
    EVs: 136 HP / 120 Def / 252 Spe

Very similar strategy as above. Encore a setup or Ground-type move, Reflect on the switch to give Ledian more Physical Bulk. Light Screen is the recommended 3rd move, as it makes Ledian very Specially bulky, but you can take advantage of on-coming Physical attackers and set up Agility or Swords Dance. Once you have one screen and any other boosts, Baton Pass out of there.
  2. Morm

Morm

I had immense success in early Gen 4 with

Ledian @ Focus sash
    Early Bird
    Calm
    252HP/252SpDef/4def

Encore
    swords dance
    agility
    baton pass

honestly it worked like a charm, even with taunters out there. Hell, if ledian gets taunted even with its strongest attack it's better off switching out, so it may as well not even bother attacking.

It worked as a lead til people started simply rock sliding it into oblivion, that is.
  3. PokéMontage

PokéMontage

Ledian desperately wants a unique evolution. Until then, it's staying in the NU of NU.
  4. Ducklett Stare

Ducklett Stare

Ledian is one of those Pokemon that I'd say gives you infinite cool points for using... but that's about it :| Game Freak just chooses to keep shitting all over it; giving it Iron Fist is just an insult, considering those attacking stats. Ah well.
  5. elchupo

elchupo

I actually was looking over Ledians movepool literally a day ago. I got excited when I seen all those punch moves along with Iron Fist... and then I seen its Atk stat. Beyond. Pointless. GF. Even at +6 its still barely going to 2HKO most things.

I would love to use it. Power Rangers was my shit back in the day and it seems this thing is GF's attempt at a sentai, but, really, if I need a baton passer, I would use the 2374987234 others who do it better.
  6. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

Isn't Swords Dance still a TM >_> Why Ledian can't learn it from the TM?
  7. PokéMontage

PokéMontage

It can still learn Swords Dance. Just an oversight.
  8. masterful

masterful

While I find it HILARIOUS that Ledian was given Iron Fist to complement its epic 35 base attack, this thing could be fun on a team to surprise your opponent and Baton Pass an SD while they are trying to figure out what Ledia even does
  9. Khan!!!

Khan!!!

iron fist + swords dance + mach punch on ledian is as bad as.. as... i cant even think of a worse combo.
  10. NDenizen

NDenizen

lol, Ledian. Even if it had an evolution, the stone wouldn't improve it.

Even Volbeat is more useful.
  11. RaRaRabbit

RaRaRabbit

I love Ledian. I do. I used him when Silver originally came out soooo long ago... When I think back to those days, I remembered thinking Ampharos and Ledian were the shit.

Coming back to it now, and looking at it, it just makes me feel really sad. On one hand, its just awesome looking. And on the other hand... its just one of the worst pokemon ever.

Regardless though, with the use of encore and baton pass and that entire list of awesome moves it learns, it at least can do something... albeit it definitely deserves an evolution.
  12. TLK

TLK

+6 Life Orb Focus Punch to 252/252 Shuckle with 252Attack, Jolly (to outspeed max speed Arbok), Iron Fist Ledian is a solid 2HKO and a OHKO with SR support.

Don't ever doubt it again.
  13. breh

breh mfw lucky 'n' bad
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

why the fuck is there a thread on this

why

sigh

Agilipass is all Ledian should be doing. Put Bug Buzz over Silver Wind on the last set and that's the only set you're ever going to use.
  14. Raptorg

Raptorg

Spinda + Perversity + Icy Wind?
  15. PokéMontage

PokéMontage

It's a fully evolved Pokemon (hopefully it won't be that way forever), and somebody might want to use it because they like it. It's the same reason why all the NU Pokemon in existence get analyses on site - they exist.
  16. iDunno

iDunno

I can't wait to use Iron Fist Comet Punch on this thing. Its gonna be totally BA.
  17. PlatinumDude

PlatinumDude

Iron Fist on Ledian is absolutely pointless because of its bad Attack. It has to stick with what it did best in Gen IV this gen: Baton Passing Swords Dance or Agility.
  18. SlimMan

SlimMan

I remember in Gen4 NU, when Exeggutor was still NU. In those days, I had an almost perfect team in just 5 slots. So I used the sixth slot for a sweeper Ledian.

It rarely worked, but when Ledian did manage to sweep, it was the ultimate in trolling.

Anyway, if Ledian isn't Baton Passing, don't use it. Simple as that. Even with Baton Passing, the surprise factor is the only reason reason to use it.
  19. Jaroda

Jaroda

Trollfreak has a really odd sense of humor giving a pokemon with 35 base attack Iron Fist...

I've always thought Ledian was badass for a lady bug of all things aesthetic wise. But dear God is it hard putting him to use.
  20. Raptorg

Raptorg

Maybe it's in preparation for giving him an evolution with 55 attack and huge/pure power.

Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to dream, right?
  21. blasphemy1

blasphemy1

And Bug/Fighting, right? STAB Huge Power Mach Punch + U-turn =D No but seriously, Ledian sucks, which sucks because he is a very cool Pokemon. Agility passing works for the lulz though.
  22. Jaroda

Jaroda

Hey if they changed Manemite's family to Electric/Steel typing there's nothing to say they can't change Ledian to Bug/Fighting with an extra 90 points in At in the future, right? Heracross Jr lol.
  23. NGC-2024

NGC-2024

In Gen 4 NU, this thing was easy to use. Agility first turn, Encore their rocks or whatever, SD on the switch, Baton Pass out and gg
  24. Morm

Morm

actually, at one point in 4th gen (before hypnosis got nerfed), I seem to recall a time when hypnosis and other sleepers were extremely common. Encoring hypnosis is exceptionally obnoxious when you have early bird. Those were fun times.

Speaking of which, Early bird is pretty awesome with the new sleep counter! Maybe...someday...the rest of ledian, save it's special defense, will be.
  25. Camara

Camara

Poor Ledian, one of the many forgotten Pokémon. Horrible little thing. Good movepool for nothing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)