Gen 4 Let the World Know (Gen 4 CB Flygon / AgiliLuke team)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Let the World Know
Yes. I got the title for this RMT from Dead by April's upcoming album. Yes, I am a DBA fan. No, that is not relevant. So anyway, once upon a time against user Bestow5000, I used a team with CB Flygon. The team sucked, and I vowed to never use it again. But now, I decided "Fuck it, let's use it again." And.... HOLY SHIT! I LOVE THIS THING! Anyway... That backstory was irrelevant. So, I built this team and did some testing under the alt "[Test] Ethan Hawke" (it's an inside joke) and it's been absolutely fantastic, bar... Well Agility Empoleon. I got 6-0ed by that thing.
The idea behind this team

My main idea in creating this team was to take the most common variations of Flygon and Lucario.... And not use them. So... It's the hipster team, I guess? But I digress. Anyway, CB Swampert is already relatively non-standard, and CB Swampert in the lead spot is especially non-standard (at least, I don't really see anyone doing it and nobody I've battled has seen it coming.) Scarf Flygon is the standard? Fuck that. I'm using Banded Flygon. SD Lucario is the most common? I don't give a fuck! Let's use Agility Luke (Skywalker)! In other words, I'm taking people's preparation and pissing all over it. Fuck predictability, I'm the motherfucking Spanish Inquisition! No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! ... That was completely unnecessary.

Win conditions

-Opposing team is weakened to the point that CB Flygon can rampage through it with Outrage
-Opposing team is sufficiently weakened and AgiliLuke has an opportunity to set up

Anyway... Enough talk, here's the team!

Swampert (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

... Okay, I think this one I need to justify. Here's the thing about CB Swampert in the lead spot: Absolutely no one expects it. In a lot of my battles, players using Pokemon like Crobat and Azelf in the lead spot Taunted me, expecting me to be the typical Stealth Rock-setting lead. Dead wrong. You just lost your Crobat and now you're going to have to set up Stealth Rock with Azelf like, now. However, against Heatran leads, a switch to Celebi or Shaymin is inevitable, so I'm at a disadvantage there.

Now... This is the one member I'm unsure of. CB Swampert is a beast, no doubt, but I feel like it's a bit of setup bait, especially considering Dragonite, a Pokemon that's pretty dangerous towards this team, can set up on both of its STABs. I do compensate for this by playing EXTREMELY conservatively with Swampert; for example, once the surprise value is gone, I switch out immediately in anticipation of something like Dragonite or Gyarados coming in. It's a good member of this team, but I feel like I have to play it too conservatively.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Me using Scarf Flygon: Ugh... This thing is too weak and too predictable, I fucking hate this thing it's crap
Me using CB Flygon: HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS THING CAN ACTUALLY DO DAMAGE, HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS THING!

Okay... That's a bit of an exaggeration of my first reaction, but still, I love this thing. I never liked using Scarf Flygon since it was so weak and I always thought it was very predictable, but CB Flygon is a completely different story. Its U-turns can actually do damage and it's not so pathetically easy to wall like Scarf Flygon is. Examples of Pokemon that can relatively safely switch in on Scarf Flygon but cannot safely switch in on CB Flygon:

252+ Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Vaporeon: 271-321 (58.5 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. 248 HP / 224+ Def Vaporeon: 166-196 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Swampert: 213-252 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Swampert: 130-154 (32.1 - 38.1%) -- 37.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 177-208 (43.8 - 51.4%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Given that these bulky waters cannot switch in on CB Flygon, it makes it so easy to wallbreak to open up for an Agility Lucario sweep. This is essentially a perfect example of how Scarf Flygon just wouldn't work out on this team, and it's just not the same without CB Flygon. This team showed me just how good CB Flygon can be and I have a new favorite Flygon set to use.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Superpower
- Roost

Dragonite got on this team to serve as yet another wallbreaker. However, what Dragonite does is break down walls without being locked into Choice items, which is extremely crucial against stall teams. If you want Skarmory dead and Heatran's not available, Dragonite's the go-to Pokemon. Stall team? Look at all the fucks I give! I can punch holes in all of your members and not give a fuck about damage because Roost!

Dragonite is just such a fantastic wallbreaking machine. Do I see Infernape recovering damage? No? GTFO Infernape! The Stealth Rock weakness is a bit disappointing though, and I don't seem to use it in battle as frequently as I use Flygon, but I feel like if I replaced it, I'd struggle immensely against stall teams.

Heatran (F) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Heatran is here for the obligatory Stealth Rocks. Thanks to its good bulk, Heatran can get the rocks up quite easily, and... Okay, I don't need to justify having Stealth Rock on this team. It's not like Heatran is a slouch offensively, either, thanks to Fire Blast and whatnot. Earth Power is mandatory for covering other Heatrans, while instead of something like HP Grass or Taunt, I choose Explosion. Swampert isn't really that common anymore so HP Grass isn't really needed that much (even then, Swampert has a hard time switching in on Flygon/Dragonite) and I've never really liked Taunt on Heatran. So... GO BOOM! If Heatran's job is done, just go boom and practically guarantee something goes down (just be careful about Ghost-types ._.)

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Need god damn Choice Scarf user. So... Enter Rotom-W. I just picked Rotom-W even though I'm not running Hydro Pump because the mere threat of Hydro Pump helps to discourage Heatran from switching in. I need HP Ice to be able to revenge kill Dragon Dance Dragonite, which is extremely important as otherwise, I'm getting swept. In essence, it serves as a glue Pokemon that stops me from getting swept by Dragonite or Gyarados.

Rotom-W serves another important function on this team: Attracting Lucario setup opportunities. As it is weak to Pursuit, Pokemon like Tyranitar and Scizor will want to come in to trap a Choice-locked Rotom, granting Lucario setup opportunities. While Rotom-W is most certainly not the strongest member of this team, this team would just fall apart without it.

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Guys, I'm having orgasms over this thing. This thing is so fucking awesome that I cannot stop myself from cumming buckets. I fucking love it. It's absolutely glorious. I love Agility Lucario.

... So, anyway... Here are some common checks to Swords Dance Lucario: Gengar, ScarfTran, ScarfTar, Gliscor, and Scarf Rotom-A. Agility Lucario beats all of them. While it's nowhere near as effective against defensive teams as SD Luke is, I've been able to simply steamroll through offensive teams with Agility Luke, while MixNite and Flygon can handle defensive teams.

Agility Luke is one of the main reasons I both have two Dragon-types, and have a Pursuit-weak Scarfer. Dragon-types will attract Scarf Flygon, and a Scarf Flygon locked into Outrage is prime setup bait. Pursuit-weak Pokemon will attract Tyranitar and Scizor (who are often choiced,) so there's even more chances to set up. In other words, getting safe setup opportunities with AgiliLuke is not difficult on this team. Even if I can't set up, Close Combat hits like a truck, so when in doubt, just click Close Combat and you'll be fine.

------------------------

Conclusion

I've had a great time using threats I don't normally use in DPP OU, and... Well, putting CB Swampert in the lead spot was just glorious and seeing people Taunt it was the best feeling ever. While I have observed a crippling weakness to Agility Empoleon, this team has otherwise been quite the fantastic team. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Importable (PO):

Swampert (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Flygon (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Superpower
- Roost

Heatran (F) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Cool team, CB flygon has always been one of my favourite mons, people just don't expect it to hit so god damn hard. As I see it your biggest problem is waters, LO starmie and Agility Emp especially. Maybe swap Swampert to a CB or an offensive Snorlax with 4 moves and lefties. Then you can put Flygon in the lead position. I've found CB Flygon to be quite a potent lead, and is very good at gaining momentum early on in the battle.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Swampert is easily my least favorite member, and I am looking for replacements. I'm currently trying various Celebi sets (not in the lead spot though) but if none of those work I'll try out CB Snorlax and see how it does. Thanks!

For that you could also use Specs Kingdra, it hits like a truck as well (Specs Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are pretty insane even coming from an average Special Attack stat). It is great vs Water-types with a 4x resistances and neutrality to pretty much all coverage moves. Also, it might lure in stuff like Skarmory and KO with Hydro Pump which lets Lucario sweep more easily. It also functions well with your Dragons, beating down the Steel-types. Though, if you replace Swampert with it you become a bit weak to the Dragons yourself so you could also replace Dragonite with it.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Anybody else uncomfortable with >2 choiced mons on a given team? I don't know if it's just a preference thing, but I feel that if half your team gets locked into moves, you're going to have a rough time with all the switching you're going to do, especially if you don't even have a spinner. I'd say something without a choice item is probably the best replacement for Pert.

besides the agility empoleon weakness you cited, hp ice lo shaymin rips everything up, as does lo starmie, and gengar is probably getting at least two kills. subroost zapdos toxics/tbolts everything and sits on its ass stalling you out. the snorlax idea mentioned is worth trying although it has a tendency to die to a couple repeated attacks, especially if sand is up, and makes you even weaker to agility meta/ddtar. if you go with lax, i'd use tr zong over luc, it checks both those guys (as well as gengar once, more reliably if you invest in some sdef and use lefties over macho brace), functions similarly in terms of beating offensive teams except it's a ton bulkier, and doesn't die to infernape's mach punch.

i also feel like using passho tran would be a lot better than shuca, keeping sr up against stall is key and you can beat starmie with it (forret stall is pressured since their spinner is threatened out by your sr mon and can easily be double switched on). against lo star it relieves some pressure on lax to beat special attackers and it's a nice emergency check to waters in general. you'd obviously use hp grass over earth power if you changed to passho and max hp/satk modest since you don't really need speed (and probably flamethrower > fire blast just so sub zap is a bit less annoying).

be careful with flygon, predicting correctly with it is really important for beating sdef hippo (who shrugs off mixnite) stall. nailing it with an outrage for ~60 will mean it won't be able to do that anymore or heal on any of your guys except lax (who i suppose can selfdestruct) but hitting a skarm will be disaster, since it means spikes, maybe a brave bird, and some whirlwind fun once you're not locked into outrage anymore.

also infernape is going to be hell to face (even with pert it was gonna be that way, it's a lead without leftovers or significant bulk investment and it can run into grass knot), it can stone edge/hp ice dragonite or beat it up with sr + u-turn. just gotta watch out for it and maybe try espeed on dnite. good luck

Once that Choice Scarf on Rotom is gone (or Rotom is down itself), anyone faster than Flygon is going to give the team massive trouble. Since Rotom's not bulky, Tyranitar can catch it with ease. And then an easy switch to something like Gyarados. Everything mentioned above, plus others such as Scarfers with U-turn, can repeatedly knock down each of you team members. You'll have a hard time switching into offensive Zapdos, any Infernape, any Gengar, LO Starmie, CM Jirachi, etc.

Other than Roost on Dragonite, the team has zero supporters or any sort of recovery (aside from Roost on DNite, but not even Leftovers in anyone). While others can use Starmie to spin away your hazards and provide offensive pressure on you, you'll be one step behind without Rapid Spin and will be at a disadvantage once they start countering your sets. A balanced or stall team can easily take the damage and chip away at you.

I'd probably invest in Rapid Spin or a cleric (the team is heavily susceptible to status, especially Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)