Let's Fight, Like Gentlemen!

Welcome to my first RMT on the Smogon forums. :) I'm trying to make a COMPETITIVE weatherless team. I like the idea of not having weather on my team, but being able to compete with the big boys. I tried to build the team so that a Rapid Spinner/Magic Bouncer wasn't necessary - and that has really been a plus. So, without further ado (whatever the hell that means...) let us begin.

Star Child
@ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

The defensive core has changed! As much as I enjoyed being able to comfortably use a UU monster in the OU arena, change is needed for growth. So here's Star Child! This kid is fairly standard fare for the OU metagame, and I added him to give a bit more utility against weather teams. He is one of the Specially Defensive pivots on the team and functions very well to set the stage for the likes of Zab Judah (Haxorus) and Lil-Fetus (Reuniclus).

Weaknesses: Ground (Gliscor, Rotom-W); Fire (Rotom-W, Haxorus, Terrakion)

Scorponok
(M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Scorp is sticking around as a Physically Defensive pivot on the team. He provides a good switch in against physical powerhouses, causes switches and eats throuhgh walls due to Toxic, and has awesome regenerative ability. Once Scorp has come in once, he gives me a perfect status absorber. The set is pretty common, but it functions well here. Earthquake for the STAB, Ice Fang for the coverage and to catch 4x weak monsters on the switch (Dragonite, opposing Gliscor, Landorus, and so on). Speed EVs allow him to outspeed common walls and hit them with Toxic or Earthquake.

Weaknesses: Ice (Jirachi, Rotom-W), Water (Rotom-W, Haxorus)

Heavy Load (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Here comes the next change in the team, Heavy Load. This thing provides a solid answer to Tornadus-T, helps me against Rain teams and Fire attacks, provides Volt Switch - thereby giving good switch ins for many monsters, and passes out paralysis to set the stage for Zab, Lil-Fetus, and BullRush later. EVs as to provide special bulk against Fire, Water, Ice, etc.

Weaknesses: Grass (Jirachi, Haxorus)

Lil-Fetus
(F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

...and the setup sweeper. This thing is difficult to deal with. With proper timing and prediction (which I'm still getting used to), I've used it to take out plenty of things that are supposed to check it. EVs let it tank a physical attack or two and recover off the damage. I've even seen this thing take a crunch from a Tyranitar and finish the TTar with Focus Blast. I'm assuming the TTar wasn't an attacking build or something....but Reuniclus is OU for a reason.

Weaknesses: Ghost, Dark (Terrakion), Bug (Terrakion, Gliscor)

BullRush
@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Unfortunately Laila had to go, but welcome BullRush to the team! The typing on Terrakion gives it just as much utility as Lucario as a Choice 'mon. Thing's just about impossible to switch in on comfortably, and the speed tier is much better than Lucario's. So, here's the set! Close Combat is a no-brainer, Stone Edge worries me (accuracy), but when it does hit - it hits hard. X-Scissor to work on Psychic, Dark, and Grass types.

Weaknesses: Fighting (Reuniclus, Gliscor), Water (Rotom-W, Haxorus), Ground (Rotom-W, Gliscor), Psychic (Reuniclus, Jirachi), Steel (Jirachi, Rotom-W), Grass (Jirachi, Haxorus)

Zab Judah
(M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Superpower
- Earthquake

And finally, Zab Judah, the Haxorus. Scarfing Haxorus allows it to get past its speed weaknesses and brings another element of surprise to the team. CBand for wallbreaking, because this thing hits like a freakin' truck. I'm almost afraid to use this, lol. Mold Breaker really hurts those opponents relying on Levitators to handle their Ground weaknesses. Dual Chop was brought in to assist with the breaking of Subs, Focus Sashes (I'm looking at you, Alakazam) Studry, and the like.

Weaknesses: Ice (Jirachi, Rotom-W), Dragon (Jirachi)

So, that's the team! Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is always welcome, and I'm willing to change just about anything with decent explanation. One last look at the crew before we go? Sure!

Star Child (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Scorponok (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Heavy Load (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

BullRush (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Lil Fetus (Reuniclus) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Zab Judah (Haxorus) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Hey CombatPastor, you have an interesting team here.

That said, no team is without its faults. I only have a few suggested changes to your team, however. Nothing big, just a couple set, item and nature changes.

• Ok. So first, I'd suggest Calm>Gentle nature. The lack of Defense may leave you vulnerable to alot of weaker physical attacks that would be walled otherwise. Not to mention that Calm does the same as Gentle, and is better since you're not exactly using a mixed set or anything.

Empoleon@Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
Calm nature
252 Hp/252 Sp.Def/4 Def
Scald, IceBeam, StealthRock & Roar

• Second, I'd suggest changing Lucario's current set to a more offensive one, seeing as how CB isn't very useful while running an Adamant nature without priority attacks, outside of ExtremeSpeed. I suggest changing it from a CB set to a SD sweeper set with either FocusSash or LifeOrb. BulletPunch is also an option over Crunch since it can help deal with potential Gengar switch-ins on a boosted CC.

Lucario@LifeOrb/FocusSash

Adamant nature
252 Attk/252 Spd/4 Hp
CloseCombat, Extremespeed, Crunch/BulletPunch & SwordsDance

• My last suggestion to you is Psyshock>Psychic on Reuniclus. This handles Blissey walls quite nicely while keeping a powerful STAB attack on Reuniclus. Reuniclus would also benefit more from Leftovers as an item, as LO doesn't really matter much if the opposing Pokemon can outpace it for the KO. Again, this is just another option that I'm pitching to you.

Reuniclus@LifeOrb/Leftovers

Trait: MagicGuard
Bold nature
252 Hp/252 Defense/4 Sp.Attk
Psyshock, FocusBlast, CalmMind & Recover

This is all I can see for now that could help at the moment. I hope this helps & good luck with the team. :)​

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. This is a pretty cool team, but I feel that a few changes can help improve the viability of this team. For one, I think that sun teams pose a massive problem for you to deal with, especially considering that you lack a safe switch-in to Fire-type attacks from the likes of Volcarona and Darmanitan. From looking at your team, using Scarf Terrakion over your Lucario can help keep those two Pokemon, as well as every other Fire-type used in sun teams, in check with its massive speed and powerful STAB Stone Edge. Scarf Terrakion is also a great revenge killer in general, thanks to its incredible base 108 Speed and powerful STAB moves, which reduce the need for coverage moves. Using Offensive Trick Room Reuniclus over your CM variant can help you beat the main offensive component of many sun teams: Chlorophyll sweepers. With Trick Room turning the speed boosts Chlorophyll sweepers have under their favored weather, sun teams simply don't have the defense to take Life Orb-boosted attacks from Reuniclus, causing many to crumble in the four turns that Reuniclus can sweep under.

With the replacement of Lucario by Terrakion, you lose a Banded Pokemon that can break walls. I'd recommend using Choice Band Haxorus over your Scarf Haxorus. Haxorus is a better Bander than Lucario, due to its higher Speed and Attack. Haxorus also gets better STAB in the form of Outrage and coverage options thanks to Mold Breaker negating abilities like Levitate.

Now, to nitpick your team. For Gliscor, I'd recommend using an EV spread of 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe. These EVs allow Gliscor to hit a Poison Heal number, and get an extra point or two in Defense. I'd also go with CedOmega's suggestion of using a Calm nature over a Gentle nature. You aren't using any physical attacks, so the loss in Attack is nothing. A summarized list of changes can be found below.

Sets:

Reuniclus @ Life Orb | Magic Guard
Quiet | 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA | 0 Spe
Trick Room | Psyshock | Focus Blast | Shadow Ball

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Close Combat | Stone Edge | X-Scissor | Rock Slide

Haxorus @ Choice Band | Mold Breaker
Adamant | 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Outrage | Earthquake | Superpower | Dual Chop

Nitpicks:
  • CB Lucario ----> Scarf Terrakion
  • Reuniclus
    • Calm Mind set ----> Offensive Trick Room set
  • Haxorus
    • Choice Scarf set ----> Choice Band set
  • Empoleon
    • Gentle ----> Calm
  • Gliscor
    • 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe ----> 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi there,

First off, welcome to Smogon. Second, nice weatherless offensive team you got there. First off, as others mentioned, Calm > Gentle. Gentle nature never is a good nature to use. May have been a PO mistake, idk. Next, I've noticed you have quite the weakness to user Thundurus-Therian. So with that, I recommend Life Orb Latios > Reuniclus. Reuniclus is not very effective in the current state of BW2 OU. And to be honest, it's pretty bad atm. With that said, Latios should fill the role of a powerful special attacker well. Next, I recommend a Choice Scarf Terrakion > your Lucario set. Lucario, similar to user Reuniclus, was left in the dust when BW2 came out. It barely has a niche in the metagame, atm. But yeah, a Scarf Terrakion can serve as an excellent revenge killer, etc. Last, but not least, I recommend changing Haxorus from Choice Scarf to Choice Band. CB Haxorus is an excellent breaker and it can help open up holes for other members of your team to shine with and with Terrakion as your new Choice Scarfer, its Scarf is now redundant.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

Empoleon with Calm > Gentle

Haxorus @ Choice Band

Good luck!

I would suggest replacing Ice Fang with substitute on your Gliscor if you want it to be a true staller. Alternating Protect and Substitute leaves absolutely no room for an opponent to damage it.

The Relaxed nature on Empoleon was definitely an accident, fully intended the Calm nature. Thanks so much for spotting that! lol

Aside from that, I looked at the EVs for Gliscor and did a little toggling. 248 EVs puts him at 343 HP. 248 / 8 = 44 r 1. That seemed like a pretty good Poison Heal number - unless I'm missing something (I'm a nublet, so please let me know. :) )

About to get to work on CBanding Haxorus and bringing Scarf Terrakion into the team. I've been looking at Terrakion as a Lucario replacement...and although I hate to see it go, Terrakion looks like a very good alternative - and could give some counter against the Sun teams that I've been having issues with.

Please, keep the comments coming!

Made more changes to the set, after some suggestions by others in IRC. In a nutshell, the defensive core has changed to Jirachi, Gliscor, and Rotom-W. Please let me know about any ideas for improvement of the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)