Let's Play! Let's Play: Pokémon Black and White & Platinum

Do you apply any filter to video when upscaling, or do you just resize it to 720p? It doesn't look like you do. You could try using the HQ4X filter, it really makes things look a lot better.

Anyway, would you nickname a pokémon after me, please? :3
No i just make it bigger, i have no idea what a filter is xD Is HQ4X a program?

And sure, i'll pm you my last 2 team members that i need naming and you can pick one and pick a name

A filter is simply an algorithm used by some programs to make the video look better. If you simply resize the video it looks kind of blurry. HQ4X is the one that looks better to me, imo. A lot of emulators have it, tough it kind of requires some more processing power. You can simply run a AVS script tough. It's really simple, actually. If you want to try it out and need some help, just say something.

A filter is simply an algorithm used by some programs to make the video look better. If you simply resize the video it looks kind of blurry. HQ4X is the one that looks better to me, imo. A lot of emulators have it, tough it kind of requires some more processing power. You can simply run a AVS script tough. It's really simple, actually. If you want to try it out and need some help, just say something.
Ok thanks, i record with Camtasia Studio 7 though and not the emulator, not sure if that means i can't do it?

Having watched all of your videos now and given you have gone and recorded a decent amount of content, I thought I'd chip in with some comments for you (apologies if it does become a mini wall-of-text by the way, I may get slightly carried away but I'll try to refrain from too much depth).

From the first video to your most recent one, there's definitely a significant improvement from how your approaching the videos. I mean that in the first few, you appeared to be very self-concious, and it wasn't as fluent as your later episodes. Granted, there is still room for improvement in the area, I still occasionally get the vibe that your laid back but it almost feels to the point where I question whether your bored or not (I know your not, but there doesn't feel like there's any emotion behind the words on occasions).

I think with LPers, they have this sort of initial period where they try and find their 'voice' when it comes to narrating in videos. I don't think you've quite found yours yet; your not fully at home with speaking to a microphone with no live audience quite yet, and you haven't sort of found your basic mix of what your going to speak about, because your still experimenting in that area. I think once you've found what you find works, you'll immediately see a difference and find you'll be a lot more comfortable in what you narrate. I know from personal experience from commentating pool matches that I hate my voice when its recorded, even when discussing a subject I know well. That said, it was one of the selected recorded matches to get uploaded on a site for public view, so apparently it isn't THAT bad, but I tend to disagree.

That said, I agree with what others have said that with pokemon LP's in particular, you have to flesh it out with other topics, whather it be pokemon-related news or just real-life events. Sometimes the best topics are the sponteaneous one's that might seem totally off-the-wall. I once had a conversation in a bar once with some members of a snooker club I go to about recurring dreams we have and dreams that jolt you awake in bed from slumber. We spent nearly two hours talking on those subjects, and it passed what was otherwise a dull evening and made it highly entertaining and amusing. I digress however.

Your video quality I cannot fault. I have seen and watched worse and what you do seems to be simple but effective, and I don't think you should deviate away from that if you can help it. I think the worst thing you can do at this point in time is try to do anything fancy that may take up hours of time and end up flopping. I'm also going to chip in and say your mic quality does seem to have gotten better from when you made the change.

One final issue that I'm going to raise more as a note than a warning is that you have started a second LP whilst still doing the first. Whilst I have seen and know of people who have successfully run two LPs (or more), it does set me slightly uneasy because you may overload yourself, or could see you ending up with unfinished projects. I know of one LPer who I used to watch who had nine 'ongoing' projects, and he'd usually get ten episodes in and it would be sidelined for another project he started up. I know this is a rather extreme case,but it is something to be wary of and to be observant of if it happens.

Overall though I think your doing pretty well as a beginning LPer, and I sincerely hope it goes on from here; I'll certainly keep watching your videos on here where I can afford time to, and I wish you ongoing success in your projects. I'm happy to have a poke named after me if you wish also.

Wow mate, this is perfect, exactly what i've been after :')

I really appreciate all your help, and i totally understand what you are saying about my voice. I still feel a bit strange talking to my laptop screen, but it is nowhere near as bad as when i started. I guess that is because i have a few subscribers now and a small audience if you like so when i talk, i am pretty much talking to them.

I'm also going to start using notes to help me. Maybe i'll write a few fun facts about pokemon, a topic i want to cover and then a bit of detail about the route i'm on. Gives me something to talk about the game, but doesn't bore the viewer with what he can clearly see for him/herself.

As you can see in my Platinum one, i have improved the sidebar, but not to an extend that it takes hours of time, it's pretty much exactly the same, just a different background which makes a world of difference.

Finally, you said about me doing 2 LP's at one. I am going to stick at 2 and not start a 3rd until i've finished B/W. I'm cutting down slightly on my schedule which should help with organising. I am going to upload B/W on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and Platinum on Monday/Wednesday/Friday for now. When i have been doing it a bit longer i will start making my videos a bit less often, as i know putting out too many videos can get over whelming.

Again, many thanks for this feedback, i will take note of everything you said and try to be the best i can. As for a nickname, all my Platinum pokemon have been taken so it will have to be one of my Pokemon in my 3rd. It is most likely gonna be Emerald.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I'd like a poke nicknamed after me too :) some nice videos. I honestly am not an LPer, so I can't really give good advice. However, as stated before, experience comes with multiple videos, so the new vids are better than the first ones pretty noticeably.

I'd like a poke nicknamed after me too :) some nice videos. I honestly am not an LPer, so I can't really give good advice. However, as stated before, experience comes with multiple videos, so the new vids are better than the first ones pretty noticeably.
It's ok, thank you. As for a pokemon, i can't get you one this game, all 6 are now taken, but i will make sure you get first pick for Emerald.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)