Lickilicky (Full Revamp) +

The analysis was in need of a large scale re-vamp, not really due to Platinum although Aqua Tail was a very useful addition so it's over here, I have provided a list of the main things that I have done with the analysis (provided the link to the old analysis anyway for reference):

• Changed Body Slams and Returns around, depending on which one fits the set
• Removed Wish from the Curse Set as it is illegal
• Added Toxic to the Knock off Set
• Added Fire Punch to the Counter Set for coverage against Levitating Ghost-types
• Re-wrote many Set Comments who were very lackluster
• Removed Speed Evs on most sets as I was unsure what they were for :/
• Mention of Aqua Tail / Fire Punch for hitting Ghosts
• Removed mention of Iron Tail / Rock Slide from CB “OO” matieral as surely Aqua Tail or Fire Punch are better even than Gyro Ball which I dropped to Set Comments
• Added Explosion to a couple of sets (I’m VERY surprised that it wasn’t on the CB set)
• Removed mention of Macho Brace on the Curse set
• Removed Sleep Talk set (Snorlax does it waaay better, Knock off is not enough to differentiate it)
• Changed Nature and EV Spread on the Counter set
• Re-ordered the sets (they are essentially in the order [least near to Snorlax -> nearest to Snorlax]), and I have also revised the part of Counters, OO, Opinion and EVs

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lickilicky

[SET]
name: Mixed Wall Breaker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Earthquake / Power Whip
move 4: Return / Explosion
item: Life Orb
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Brave
evs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is undoubtedly one of Lickilicky’s move unconventional sets, but does indeed work as an excellent lure for many Pokemon. The EVs allow Lickilicky to hit some very nice targets, for example: Gliscor is always OHKOed by Ice Beam, unless it uses Roost. Even if it does use Roost, the damage output will still be enough to wear it down. Skarmory is OHKOed by a Fire Blast from this set. The remaining EVs are initially placed into Attack which ensures that your choice of Return or Explosion has a maximum damage output, should Lickilicky still survive after luring out and killing the mentioned threats. Earthquake is preferable here as it will allow you to hit Heatran and Tyranitar hard, whilst Return still does reasonable damage against Swampert. It will also ensure that a Roosting Zapdos cannot outstall you. Power Whip can be used if you are especially concerned about Swampert. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP. You may find the recoil of the Life Orb off-putting, should this be the case, Leftovers is an acceptable but note that you will be missing out on some OHKOs that this set would have previously gained.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dancer
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Return
move 3: Aqua Tail / Earthquake
move 4: Explosion
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>If Lickilicky can pull off a Swords Dance, it is a threat to be reckoned with. It can dish out hard damage with a STAB Return and hit anything except for Empoleon and Shedinja for neutral damage thanks to the excellent coverage that Water and Normal-type moves give. The main attraction of this set, however, is a Swords Dance Explosion. This fearsome weapon will OHKO almost every Pokemon in the game that isn’t a Ghost type, most notably Skarmory. The few Pokemon that aren't OHKOed include 252 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior and Regirock, who dislike Earthquake or Aqua Tail, the same goes for the rarer still Bastiodon and Probopass. Lickilicky has the extreme power to blow its way through dedicated Physical walls, and you can easily capitalize on this by utilizing your opponent’s lack of physical walls to bring out a second physical sweeper to clean up. The Speed EVs allow it to beat minimum Speed Metagross and Skarmory so that you can explode on them before they have a chance to ruin you, the other EVs are invested initially into Attack to maximize the power of Explosion, and then the rest are dropped into HP to maximize durability. Aqua Tail works better than Fire Punch as it will hit those Ghost-types that wall this set harder, but if you do want to attempt a sweep with this Lickilicky prior to Exploding, Fire Punch will allow you to hit Steel-types, who “wall” this set, harder.</p>

[SET]
name: Counter
move 1: Return / Body Slam
move 2: Counter
move 3: Wish / Explosion
move 4: Protect / Fire Punch / Aqua Tail
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Counter is an excellent surprise move that can help sway a battle in your direction. With this EV spread, designed to take a minimum percentage of damage off of a large HP stat, Lickilicky can survive powerful physical attacks, to KO back with Counter. For example, it takes a maximum of 38% from an unboosted Metagross’ Meteor Mash, surviving not only to KO back most variants, but also with enough health left to fire off more hits and / or Explode at the end. The choice between Return and Body Slam depends on whether you want the extra power of Return, or the paralysis chance. Wish will help you to heal and possibly Counter again, and works well with Protect, but Counter (once revealed) becomes predictable, so you might find the extra coverage of Fire Punch or Aqua Tail and the firepower of Explosion more useful. The use of a move in the fourth slot instead of Protect prevents levitating Ghosts from completely walling you. If played intelligently this Lickilicky has the potential to take out two opponents per match.</p>

[SET]
name: Sub Punch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Gyro Ball
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The great thing about this kind of set is that Lickilicky's Speed doesn't matter at all since you'll want to power up Gyro Ball, and you can afford to leave your Special Attack unaffected by your nature. Focus Punch OHKOes Tyranitar and Fire Blast will 2HKO Skarmory who may feel inclined to come in to wall you. Gyro Ball provides you extra coverage alongside Focus punch and will hit frail things that might think they can switch in as you Substitute. The Substitutes created here will take 2 Seismic Tosses to break. The EVs allow you to maximize your Attack and physical durability, so that you can stay around for longer, dealing out damage.</p>

[SET]
name: Knock Off
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Fire Punch / Earthquake / Toxic
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The idea here is simple, to Knock Off your opponent’s held items, to paralyze them with Body Slam, and to fire of your chosen attack in the last slot to hurt anything that resists your STAB moves. When its job is done, Lickilicky has one more trump card in the form of the most powerful Explosion in the game. This will put a large hole in anything that isn’t immune to it; it will even deal 51-61% to the standard Skarmory, which is not something to scoff at. The EVs are tailored to allow Lickilicky to be the more durable on the physical side as the OU metagame is physically dominated, but it could still viably be used by simply shifting the nature to Careful and moving the Defense EVs into Special Defense, it simply depends on the job you want this Lickilicky to perform.</p>

<p>Although the premise of this set is simple, it is also effective. Sweepers don’t want to switch in for fear of paralysis, and walls won’t want to either for fear of Toxic, and Knock off can help you immensely if you manage to hit something like a Choice Item user. The choice in the last slot is mostly up to preference, if you prefer to continue the “annoying” theme of this set run, Toxic so that it isn’t so easily walled, Earthquake will provide you a good option against all Steel-types not named Skarmory and Bronzong, and Fire Punch will still hit Steel types but will allow you to hit levitating Ghost-types such as Gengar as well. Aqua Tail also deserves a mention as it will provide excellent neutral coverage alongside Return.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Aqua Tail / Fire Punch
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Lickilickys reasonable Attack stat and large durability make it an excellent candidate for a Choice Band set. Return will be your primary method of dealing out damage, hitting most things hard with powerful STAB. Earthquake provides extra coverage alongside Return hitting grounded Rock and Steel-types hard. The third move is a matter of preference: Aqua Tail will provide great neutral coverage and will allow you to hit Hippowdon hard, but Fire Punch will hit Steel-types such as Skarmory and Bronzong. You could also use Gyro ball alongside a Brave Nature and an IV of 0 in the Speed stat, which will provide you with your only way of OHKOing Gengar, it will however still be severely dented by Fire Punch or Aqua Tail. Explosion is really a must in the last slot, it will allow Lickilicky to go out with a bang and leave a dent in any of your opponents’ Pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Return
move 3: Aqua Tail / Gyro Ball
move 4: Explosion / Rest
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 68 Atk / 24 Def / 164 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Due to Lickilicky's extremely high HP and good defenses, it is an ideal user of Curse. Curse boosts Lickilicky's respectable Attack and Defense stats, allowing it to both take a hit and dish one out. Return is Lickilicky's main form of attack, due to its high base power and the boost it receives from STAB. Although a weaker option, Body Slam can be used over Return for the chance to paralyze the opponent. Gyro Ball's base power is increased with every Curse, making it a reliable option. However, Normal and Steel provide poor type coverage, leaving Lickilicky unable to hit Steel-types. After a single Curse, Lickilicky is capable of OHKOing standard Gengar with Gyro Ball if Gengar has taken damage from Stealth Rock or Life Orb. Aqua Tail, when paired alongside Return, creates an attacking combination only resisted by Shedinja and Empoleon. Explosion is used as a last resort attack, KOing almost everything, except Ghosts and very bulky Steel/Rock-types. Rest can be used in conjunction with Chesto Berry to fully replenish Lickilicky's health after it has Cursed a few times. Earthquake also works in the last slot to increase Lickilicky's type coverage even further, allowing Lickilicky to handle opposing Steel-types more easily. One question that might be asked is, "Why should Lickilicky be used over Snorlax?" Lickilicky has access to Explosion, Aqua Tail, and Gyro Ball, three attacks that allow Lickilicky to pull of a Curse set more efficiently.</p>

<p>The EVs for this set are rather specific. Max HP paired with 164 SpD EVs and a Sassy nature allow Lickilicky to survive Modest Choice Specs Lucario's Aura Sphere. With 68 Atk EVs and a single Curse, Lickilicky OHKOes standard Gengar with Gyro Ball after Stealth Rock damage. With 24 Def EVs and two Curses, Lickilicky cannot be OHKOed by Choice Scarf Heracross' Close Combat.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>There are a few other attacking moves that Lickilicky can utilize to deal with more specific threats: Hammer Arm will be your best bet against Tyranitar, where as Earthquake will usually not be good enough, and Power Whip can be used to counter Swampert well. ThunderPunch can be used to hit Gyarados, and Ice Punch can be used to hit Dragons such as Salamence and Dragonite. Zen Headbutt is Lickilicky's best option against Poison-types, such as Gengar. Belly Drum is at best a novelty move, given this Pokemon’s appalling Speed. Finally, Heal Bell can be used to support the rest of your team, as can Wish; although you'd be better off utilizing something like Miltank or Blissey in a pure supporting role.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Generally speaking, you'll want Lickilicky to think of HP, Attack, and Defense with an Adamant or Impish nature. Lickilicky’s Speed is appalling so durability is what it needs to be concentrated on. You may wish to invest more in Special Defense depending on the build of your team, and the job that you want Lickilicky to do. With Special Defensive investment it can come in relatively unharmed on Special Pokemon such as Starmie and Tentacruel. It is also the recommended investment on the Curse Set, as you are already boosting your physical Defense. Speed should be cut as much as possible when using Gyro Ball, to obtain the maximum base power.</p>

[OPINION]
<p>Lickilicky's movepool, like his tongue, stretches out until the horizon. His Speed may be poor, but his other stats are above average, and his HP is very good. This combines to make a fine contender that can tank, support, and dish out damage — although when facing him, remember that he will be limited to only one of these jobs. Still, Lickilicky isn’t bog standard for one reason: Snorlax. Snorlax beats him out in nearly every situation, and has more Pokémon to switch in on. Lickilicky also lacks a really reliable way to hurt Ghosts, while Snorlax gets both Crunch and Pursuit for that. If you want to use Lickilicky, try to make him different from Snorlax. Knock Off, Gyro Ball, Wish, Heal Bell, Swords Dance, and the mighty boosted Explosion are assets that help this. Explosion will most likely be a factor in any Lickilicky set that you use or are facing, so always keep that in mind when dealing with it.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>Lickilicky doesn’t possess the concept of counter like other Pokemon, but Ghost-types are the first to come to mind, most importantly as they are immune to Explosion. Bulkier Ghosts can come in on Normal-types moves and the majority of them can hit back with Will-o-Wisp. Dusknoir can do with very well due to its high Defensive stats, but frailer Levitating Pokemon like Mismagius and Gengar can also do this easily enough as they are also immune to Earthquake. Steel types also have fun against Lickilicky but even they all fear the infamous Swords Dance STAB Explosion that threatens to ruin your Defensive core. Good candidates from these are Skarmory and Bronzong, most notably because of their immunity to Earthquake, but other defensive Steels such as Forretress and even Steelix don’t really fear Earthquake or Fire Punch unless they have a boost or two behind them. Intimidate is a useful tool to use against Lickilicky, but many Pokemon that utilize it fear Body Slam paralysis.</p>

<p>Preying on Lickilicky's low Speed is probably the most effective means of dealing with it since hard, fast hitters like Lucario can OHKO outright.</p>

A +2 Explosion does not kill 252 HP / 252 Def Regirock, not that you're going to be running into those but you should probably change the comment to kill "most Pokemon". It also does not garuntee a kill on 252 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior, you is now OU.

Could Silk Scarf be an option to boost Return and Explosion? It does garuntee a kill on both after Stealth Rock.

I was cruising through the N and C thread, and I saw Specs Lickilicky, which should probably be in the Other Options. Just putting that out there.

^ Speaking of N and C, I think the mixed set wall breaker thingy is the best Lickilicky set I've used.

Power Whip
Ice Beam
Fire Blast
Explosion / Return
@Life Orb
Brave Nature
218 HP / 132 atk / 160 SpA

I can't remember exact figures for damage calcs, but it should be obvious what deals with what.

I've used something similar to the standard Knock Off set as a lead, but with weather support (Rain) for the last slot. It might not deserve its own set, but it should be noted in Other Options that Lickilicky is a user of Rain Dance.. and maybe the more rare Sunny Day. Although I would probably stick with Body Slam for a weather set, Aqua Tail and Fire Punch are both boosted by their respective weather as another bonus.

edit: About other options, I think comments on Wrap, Psych Up, and Icy Wind should be deleted. Lickilicky has much better options for causing actual damage, or assisting his teammates; they're all terribly situational.. if that.

I wouldn't have Toxic on the Knock Off set, unless you've had a lot of success with it. Steels love to switch into Licky, expecting Returns/Gyro Balls. I guess it might help against Cress, and bulky walls as you say.. but I wouldn't consider it the first option. My opinion! ^_^

Bastiodon laughs at its explosion
Yeah, and Bastiodon was used 512 total times in Standard last month. Assuming it is max HPs/Def vs max Attack Licky (all positive natures) it can still lose 70% of its health with a 4x resist to a +2 Explosion. And I wouldn't say that Bastidon cares for Earthquake, or Hammer Arm. :/

Other Options is a little cluttered at the moment. I will sort it out and add the suggestions, and I will test the mix set perhaps tonight or tomorrow, further revisions of it will of course be welcome to the set.

EDIT: The only thing that is PREVOLANT in the OU metagame that cant take it is 252 / 252 Rhyperior who I will mention in the analysis, Such Bastiodon can take it so can probopass big deal. @ Evil Mario I agree with you about Toxic, I am however reluctant to remove it entirely as it means you are at a bit of a loss to Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Gliscor who just wall you, I'll drop it to slot 3 and sort out Other Options now =D

EDIT2: Removing mention Thunder too ThunderPunch deal with Gyarados better and Fire Blast does for Skarmory.

OK I've edited it can we stop arguing about Bastiodon now please :/ I've just done OO

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
• Changed Body Slams and Returns around, depending on which one fits the set
• Removed Wish from the Curse Set as it is illegal
• Added Toxic to the Knock off Set
• Added Fire Punch to the Counter Set for coverage against Levitating Ghost-types
• Re-wrote many Set Comments who were very lackluster
• Removed Speed Evs on most sets as I was unsure what they were for :/
• Mention of Aqua Tail / Fire Punch for hitting Ghosts
• Removed mention of Iron Tail / Rock Slide from CB “OO” matieral as surely Aqua Tail or Fire Punch are better even than Gyro Ball which I dropped to Set Comments
• Added Explosion to a couple of sets (I’m VERY surprised that it wasn’t on the CB set)
• Removed mention of Macho Brace on the Curse set
• Removed Sleep Talk set (Snorlax does it waaay better, Knock off is not enough to differentiate it)
• Changed Nature and EV Spread on the Counter set
• Re-ordered the sets (they are essentially in the order [least near to Snorlax -> nearest to Snorlax]), and I have also revised the part of Counters, OO, Opinion and EVs
As a side note, I love this introductory format. Saves me the trouble of having to bounce back and forth between analysis to figure out what you changed.

To answer your question about the Speed EVs. The most logical explanation I can come up with for 32 Speed EVs is to outrun Relaxed Swampert. Running 44 Speed EVs on some sets might not be a bad idea thought to outrun minimum Speed Blissey.

For the Curse set, it was already rewritten by Stellar. Try using that write up (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47990).

For the SubPunch set you said

The great thing about this kind of set is that Lickilicky's Speed doesn't matter at all since you'll want to power up Gyro Ball, and you can afford to leave your Special Attack unaffected by your nature.
so you'll probably want to include an IV tag of iv: 0 Spe.

I'll look this over more carefully later. Those are just some quick things I noticed.

OK, added Stellars Write-Up. About the Speed EVs, Blissey doesn't really hurt Lickilicky too much, Seismic Toss does < 1/4 damage and 80 SpA Blissey does 15-17% with T-bolt / Flamethrower / Ice Beam which is hardly threatening. It wont be liking STAB Return or Body Slam. It doesn't seem scary enough to invest the Spe EVs in personally. I'd rather just have the Bulk. Added the Speed iv Tag

EDIT: Trying out the Mix Set, and I must say Fire Blast is a great asset, although the Life Orb is a bit of an annoyance the set "does its job" in breaking walls and making it easier for others to sweep. I'll write it up in more detail tomorrow perhaps... nope i'll do it tonight instead heres what I have so far:

[SET]
name: Mixed Wall Breaker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Earthquake / Power Whip
move 4: Return / Explosion
item: Life Orb
evs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is undoubtedly one of Lickilicky’s move unconventional sets, but does indeed work as an excellent Lure for many Pokemon. The EVs allow Lickilicky to hit some very nice targets, for example: Gliscor is always OHKOed by Ice Beam, unless it uses Roost. Even if it does use Roost, the damage output will still be enough to wear it down. Skarmory is OHKOed by a Fire Blast from this set. The remaining EVs are initially placed into Attackwhich ensures that your choice of Return or Explosion has a maximum damage output, should Lickilicky still survive after luring out and killing the mentioned threats. Earthquake is preferable here as it will allow you to hit Heatran and Tyranitar hard, whilst Return still does reasonable damage against Swampert. It will also ensure that a Roosting Zapdos cannot outstall you. Power Whip can also be used if you specifically plan to lure out the Mud Fish. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP. You may find the recoil of the Life Orb off-putting, should this be the case, Leftovers is an acceptable but note that you will be missing out on some OHKOs that this set would have previously gained.</p>
I sorted the EVs out a bit, I figured seeing as it was an attacking set it will want to Max out attack. When testing it I actually found this set to be very useful and IMO should _probably_ top the analysis, it definately means that the SD set is less needed, and can be pushed further down, but I would like more opinions on this before I add it to the analysis or start changing things around.

The wall break set certainly does look appealing and might indeed be the best way to use Lickilicky. In my opinion, you NEED Life Orb to be the effective wall breaker the set is meant to be.

Earthquake should be an option to be slashed with Power Whip, in my opinion. Both 2HKO most Tyranitar, but Power Whip is for Swampert, while Earthquake is for Heatran. Either way, one of them will wall the set depending on what move you choose. You will fair better against Swampert with Earthquake though, as Return will put a nice dent into it. Earthquake will also let you KO a Roosting Zapdos (who takes quite a bit from Ice Beam), and will help with prediction against many top tier Steel types that threaten Lickilicky (Lucario, Metagross, Jirachi..) without resorting to tossing around Fire Blast in a risky Heatran filled enviroment.

I gave a brief thought to Thunderbolt, but it would only be useful for Bulky Gyarados switch ins. Return does quite a number to Offensive Gyarados factoring Intimidate in (almost always 2HKOing for sure with his Life Orb damage considered). Gyarados will need to be lucky with Waterfall's flinch to have any chance.

Return vs Explosion is interesting. Explosion lets you take down almost every wall in a single blow, and might work more inline with the wall breaking thought. Return is very powerful, and can really wear down bulky Pokemon that don't resist it. I can't say which I'd take without toying with the set first.

Anyways, I like the set a lot. People seemingly ignore Licky's nice 80 base special attack.

Thanks for your post Evil Mario =D I'm going to go right on and add the set in first, as I said I did get some good use out of and IMO should be standard for Lickilicky, as its something Snorlax doesn't do nearly as well. I'll keep mention of Leftovers as it is a viable option but like I said its really just a side note in Set Comments. I'm going to spend some more time testing and looking out for counters now, I'll probably end up editing it a bit.

In the first set:

The remaining EVs are initially placed into Attack which ensures that your choice of Return or Explosion has a maximum damage output, should Lickilicky still survive after luring out and killing the mentioned threats.

Just to point out, the OPer in N and C said Explosion OHKOs Heatran. I kinda feel EQ is redundant on that set.
Of course, Earthquake leaves Lickilicky alive and Heatran dead. Explosion leaves you both dead.

Explosion can basically be used to OHKO Swampert too, so what's the difference in Power Whip > Earthquake in that case? Swampert can actually be defeated via Return, where as Heatran will require you sacrifice Lickilicky fully.

Admittingly, Power Whip will help against Cune and Vaporeon.. but both will take a chunk from Return.. and of course, Explosion. Power Whip gives Steels a free pass on 3/4 of the move set (although nothing is really 'safe' from Explosion, barring immunity), and it gives Infernape another excuse to switch in. Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake will also not be taking much from Power Whip in MOST cases either.

I think both are a viable option, but I don't believe Earthquake is redundant in the least.

Having tested it i prefer not having to blow up on Heatran and friends, so I will keep it that way. I think that Earthquake is the preferable, and I agree with what Evil Mario said, both have viability, but id prefer not to have to blow up unless I really needed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)