Lickilicky

Lickilicky will definitely see some use in UU now, especially with DroughtTales and DrizzleToad running rampant. Note that he can hit both for SE damage(with Power Whip and Surf). I think the Cheer Up set would be best.
Why the hell would you use Surf off 80 s.atk vs 100 s.def instead of EQ off 85 atk vs 75 def.

Any anti-weather set is going to be mostly physical because everything you're mainly countering is weak in defense to begin with. Politoed weaker on def, Ninetales weaker in def, Tyrannitar due to SS boost weaker in def, Abomasnow weaker in defense again. Only exception is Hippowdon who still takes SE from PowerWhip.

Edit: Just noticed Lickilicky also gets Dragontail for some handy phazing utility.

Lickilicky @ leftovers
calm nature
252 hp, 80 sp. def, 176 def
rest
sleep talk
surf
ice beam

This spread combinated with restalk will make sure that it will stay alive for a long time. the main purpose is to switch in on a weather sweeper. Taking out toed/tales/tar/snow won't do you any good unless you have a weather user of your own. Surf/ice beam will give the best coverage, well.. boltbeam gor better coverage but you'll end up getting swept by the mole if you doesn't run surf.

sassy power whip is also an option but I didn't write it in the set as that's the set I'm using and after of hours of soft reseting I settled for that..

What's with these Thunders and Blizzard on the Cloud Nine set?
Cloud Nine cancels out the weather for as long as he is in, so no perfect accuracy moves there.
Also, what will you do when you have killed that weather summoner?
Because Cloud Nine just negates it temporarily, so you'll have to find some other way to actually get rid of the weather after killing the one summoning it.
So Lickilicky won't be countering much, except not having to take damage at the end of the turn.

Earthquake
Knock Off
Power Whip
Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

My most likely moveset. Earthquake covers Rock, Steel, and Fire while Power Whip covers Ground and Water (and Rock again), which takes care of the weather staples aside from Grass. From there it's just a question of deciding what's the biggest issue for the rest of Lickilicky's team. If it's stuff like Grass-types, Bronzong, Skarmory, and Balloon Doryuuzu, pick Fire Blast; if it's stuff like Grass-types, Dragon-types, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, pick Ice Beam; if it's stuff like Skarmory, Gyarados, and Charizard, pick Thunderbolt.

EVs all depend on moves; for example, with Ice Beam I'd probably run calcs on damage against the best Dragons at different EV spreads and determine from there. Hippowdon's a different story and won't necessarily be 2HKOed even by max Special Attack neutral nature Expert Belt Ice Beam, but that or a Life Orb is the only way Lickilicky's knocking out the hippo without Choice Band Power Whip or at least two layers of any kinds of spikes. Neutral 0 Special Attack Ice Beam does almost the same damage as neutral 252 Attack Power Whip against a physically-oriented Hippowdon, incidentally.

Knock Off could be dropped for more type coverage, but the beauty of that move is that pretty much any Pokemon in the game hates losing its item, so it works in a prediction-free way that I consider even more valuable than it was last time around with teams now visible before the match. And unlike with Earthquake and Power Whip, getting burned doesn't render it irrelevant.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I once used Lick as glue for my team, being both a special tank and weather counter, all in one. As far as I know, most Rain teams can't do a damn thing to stop him. Here's the set I used:Lickilicky @ LeftoversCareful nature252 HP/252 Sp. DefWishProtectToxicEarthquakeThe reason I used Earthquake instead of his STAB was because I didn't feel comfortable having him be complete setup fodder for Steels. Body Slam was once in place of EQ, as the paralysis rate proved to be an amazing asset for his overall support, but using that would mean I'd have to choose between that and Cloud Nine.You could probably replace any one of those moves and he'd still do his job, but that was the set I deemed necessary for my team.

He could be used as an anti-anti-Weather Pokemon on Rain/Sun teams. Nattorei, for example, blocks Rain teams completely, but Lickilicky can Fire Blast him to oblivion.

I'm thinking having a Special Attack for Hippowdon is rather necessary, even though all of the other weather inducers have higher Special Defense (Abomasnow really doesn't matter here though, because Flamethrower is killing it anyway).

EQ, Power Whip, Surf, Flamethrower seems like the best to me, simply because it allows Licky to hit any of them in their weaker defensive stat for SE damage. After that just throw the EVs into the attack stats and HP and you're good to go. Just pick an Attack nature and put more EVs into SpA.

You could always go with Hammer Arm over Earthquake in that set to take out Blissey and other Lickilicky if you want to use as an anti-anti-Weather Pokemon like Squid Ninja suggested. I think a lot of Ninetails are running Balloon so you'd have to hit them with Surf, anyway.

You could always go with Hammer Arm over Earthquake in that set to take out Blissey and other Lickilicky if you want to use as an anti-anti-Weather Pokemon like Squid Ninja suggested. I think a lot of Ninetails are running Balloon so you'd have to hit them with Surf, anyway.
That's a good point. I think if you were to do that you would want to put even more EVs into SpA though just to make sure you can OHKO Ninetails.

What is the usual spread for Ninetails anyway?

I once used Lick as glue for my team, being both a special tank and weather counter, all in one. As far as I know, most Rain teams can't do a damn thing to stop him. Here's the set I used:Lickilicky @ LeftoversCareful nature252 HP/252 Sp. DefWishProtectToxicEarthquakeThe reason I used Earthquake instead of his STAB was because I didn't feel comfortable having him be complete setup fodder for Steels. Body Slam was once in place of EQ, as the paralysis rate proved to be an amazing asset for his overall support, but using that would mean I'd have to choose between that and Cloud Nine.You could probably replace any one of those moves and he'd still do his job, but that was the set I deemed necessary for my team.
you can combinate body slam and cloud9, since DW abilities are breedable, but you can on the other hand not get wish and cloud9 since wish in a 3rd gen event move.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh right, it was Wish, not Body Slam. Well regardless, not being able to have both with Cloud Nine basically changed my strategy to "Toxic stall everything, EQ Steel types".

Oh right, it was Wish, not Body Slam. Well regardless, not being able to have both with Cloud Nine basically changed my strategy to "Toxic stall everything, EQ Steel types".
why not use fire blast > eq, since steel types usually got higher def than sp. def and it will also hit weezing. tran might be a problem tho, using both might be an option, but you won't have reliable recovery if you use toxic/eq/fire blast. eq is still good to hit bastiodon, probopass and aggron tho, but aggron this the only one you should run into more than once every two months.

Anyone know how effective a cloud-nine Choice Scarf set would be against Doryuuzu, or other popular weather pokes?

(For example)
Lickilicky @ Choice Scarf
Cloud Nine
252atk/252spd
-Vengeance
-Power Whip
-Earthquake
-Explosion

Power Whip and EQ hit nearly everything that likes weather for SE damage. If you come in for revenge against you can use Vengeance's STABed 210BP to take things out without having to take the risk of a balloon/switch to immunity that comes with EQ, or the shaky accuracy of Power Whip. The only downside is that you are then forced to switch as the BP cut in half after the first time you use it. Finally as a last resort you have the single most powerful move in the game, a Lickilicky Explosion.

With the choice scarf and cloud nine negating sand-throw/swift swim/chlorophyll not much is going to hit you first.

I'm glad my favorite pokemon got a niche ability like this. Problem is, I don't know just how much help he'll be in singles. His ability only makes weather null while he's out, it doesn't actually reset the weather. In doubles this will be awesome, as you can let your other pokemon sweep up the opponents team while their planned weather effect is completely nulled by the big pink cream puff. Singles-wise, he'll just be specific counters for weather abusers I feel like. Some moves I feel like are of note:

Disable: Lickilicky can come in on a weather boosts water/fire/rock/steel/ground etc. move and take little damage from it due to his bulk and cloud nine. Disable is now 100% accuracy, so theoretically you could come in and disable the move, then switch in a sweeper to finish the job, knowing your opponent can't take you down with their weather boosted attack.

Stat Boosting Moves: Amnesia, Curse, Swords Dance, and Belly Drum are all decent moves to have on him due to his bulk and his ability, which gives him increased bulk against weather teams.

Why are you tring to stop the pokémon setting up the weather? since cloud nine negates the weather effects while on the field, making the weater settinguper faint won't help you. Using the ability to take out the pokémon benifiting from the weather will make the pokémon setting up the weather usless anyway since their ability won't benifit their team anymore.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The anti-Weather sets will mainly end up having to deal with the sweepers, not the weather settupers themselves, just because of the timing of setup and counter.

Thus, I think it best that Liki have the tools to destroy the most powerful setup sweepers, not necessarily the weather users themselves.

The anti-Weather sets will mainly end up having to deal with the sweepers, not the weather settupers themselves, just because of the timing of setup and counter.

Thus, I think it best that Liki have the tools to destroy the most powerful setup sweepers, not necessarily the weather users themselves.
No need to repeat what I just wrote

So, just a wonder, since I have been too discouraged to actually try it out, is the nerf on explosion so bad that it would actually be worthless on lickilicky, even with stab?

I do agree, its the weather sweepers that need to be countered. An attack combination of Fireblast, Surf, Powerwhip, and Earthquake hits nearly EVERYTHING that is going to set up in weather, however, its so hard to give up icebeam or thunderbolt or stab return.

The only weather abuser I can think of that isnt hit by any SE attacks (that would normally be carried on Licki) is Ludicolo.

Then you have threats that are only hit by ice, such as garchomp, zapdos, flygon.

So, just a wonder, since I have been too discouraged to actually try it out, is the nerf on explosion so bad that it would actually be worthless on lickilicky, even with stab?

I do agree, its the weather sweepers that need to be countered. An attack combination of Fireblast, Surf, Powerwhip, and Earthquake hits nearly EVERYTHING that is going to set up in weather, however, its so hard to give up icebeam or thunderbolt or stab return.

The only weather abuser I can think of that isnt hit by any SE attacks (that would normally be carried on Licki) is Ludicolo.

Then you have threats that are only hit by ice, such as garchomp, zapdos, flygon.
Explosion is still powerful on lickilicky, but it's not worth the moveslot. Lickyliccky is one of the pokémon with the "4 move syndrome" meaning that it want to use more moves than it can. if you want STAB, return is to prefer since it can be used several times.

Explosion is still powerful on lickilicky, but it's not worth the moveslot. Lickyliccky is one of the pokémon with the "4 move syndrome" meaning that it want to use more moves than it can. if you want STAB, return is to prefer since it can be used several times.
Yes, I mentioned Move Slot Syondrome in the original post of this thread. It is exactly why I so far have refused to put explosion on him so far.

I guess I was mainly second guessing as every other person who posted a moveset after the OP seems to list explosion. Return is much more viable, and even then, I prefer bodyslam for the paralysis.

Yes, I mentioned Move Slot Syondrome in the original post of this thread. It is exactly why I so far have refused to put explosion on him so far.

I guess I was mainly second guessing as every other person who posted a moveset after the OP seems to list explosion. Return is much more viable, and even then, I prefer bodyslam for the paralysis.

normal won't help much one a set that is meant to stop weather teams anyway. A special set with good coverage moves will still probably be better. flamethrower/ice beam will hit cholorphyll users (grass). surf will hit solar power zard and the mole. thunder blt will hit most swift swimmers (water types). shadow ball, wring out and focus blast should get mentioned but not much more (they are not bad, but doesn't hit the pokémon its ability counters for good damage).

A psychical set does have:
knock off, lick, wrap, body slam, power whip, gyro ball, screech, eq, brick break, facade, thief, rock slide, dragon tail, rock smash, smelling salt, zen headbut and hammer arm.

those moves can make many good sets but the coverage is also here not too benifiting for the ability. no doubt about that they will work tho.

Frustration is better than return. Ditto switches in, has full friendship, now it can't use frustration with much power.

Lickilicky is one of the coolest pokemon, its good to see it gaining an excellent new ability. I still think the mixed wallbreaker set from Gen 4 (with some minor changes)will be one of the most effective. His move pool is good and can counters many of the weather ability 'mons so I hope his usage will rise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)