1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Life

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Intergalactic, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Intergalactic

Intergalactic

[​IMG]

What can I say here? I've been experimenting with different kinds of teams in BW - stall, sun, rain, crap, whatever - and never did too well, never got up a stockpile of wins, never kept a team for more than two weeks because of that, and never decided what style of play I actually liked. But this is different. Meanwhile, as BW2 rolled around, I found that Landorus-T was to my liking. Underrated, not as fast as it could be, maybe even worse than its Incarnate counterpart, but I loved it. The number of switches it could cause by just switching in can border on ridiculous, and I intended to use that to my advantage. So it was decided, Landorus-T, some entry hazards, and what would eventually become a team of numerous interlocking cores.

Teambuilding;
    Show Hide

[​IMG]

As I said, Landorus-T was my starting point. I liked the power, liked the moves, liked the force that it bought whenever it switched in. Some people say that it's too slow to be any spectacular good, and that Tornadus and Thundurus were given more to use, but I disagree - though it's a prediction-heavy Pokémon, if used correctly it can be devastating.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course weather would be the next step, that was obvious. I'd heard good things about Landorus-T under rain, so I thought that I should try it out. I know how damaging losing the weather war to anything else can be, and sun seems to have been the bane of most of my teams. Between these two, they should be able to do well in keeping the skies clouded over.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What team is without a good Dragon-type right now? Having seen that Haxorus gained Aqua Tail from BW2 move tutors, I'd very much wanted to test it out under rain, having only used Haxorus a handful of times at the start of the generation. Being able to do decent damage to Pokémon such as Skarmory - a Pokémon that can usually stop Haxorus - straight off the bat, it's a great way of applying offensive pressure alongside the other hart-hitter of the team.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is where the cores start to come into play, and it's with a fairly typical, but still good, one. Obviously, Magnezone is there to clear Steel-types out of the way for Haxorus to come in and do its work. With a rain team, I knew that Ferrothorn would most likely give me a little trouble (which indeed it does), however Hidden Power [Fire] should still be at least a 2HKO on standard sets, even with this weather active. Other than that, Magnezone forms a VoltTurn core with Landorus, with actually decent synergy between them - Landorus can take Ground-type and Fighting-type attacks and even aid in weakening Scizor if needs be, while Magnezone can take Ice-type attacks and any neutral Grass-type attacks too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Carrying on with adding cores into the team, Rotom-W was added. Ground-type immunity - always good to have. Synergising well with Landorus-T and Magnezone, as well as adding to their VoltTurn shenanigans. I opted for a Scarfed set here, noticing that the team actually lacked Speed with all the members being on the slow side.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The final team member brings something that I realised was much-needed - Rapid Spin. Another Steel-type for the resistance to Dragon-types that every team should be carrying, even though it does put a bit of a damper on any momentum that I may have gained. As tempting as it was, I decided to go against using a set with Volt Switch on it, and went for Hidden Power [Ice] instead, which has paid off - surprise KOs on Salamences are entertaining.​

At a glance;

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In-depth;

[​IMG]

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Drizzle | Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef | 0 Atk
    Scald | Toxic | Perish | Protect

Yep, pretty obvious. For a rain team, it needs Politoed, and I'd wanted to test this set out. While this was supposed to be a predominantly offensive team, I never like using offensive weather inducers - they seem too easy to kill off, even if they're quick - so I decided to try this, knowing that Terrakion was going to be a trouble, even with Landorus-T. With the EVs, it can survive Jolly Terrakion's Close Combat with it doing only a maximum of 51%, and then OHKO with Scald. If it can survive that, then I'm sure there's a lot more it can survive also.

So yeah, the EVs and nature and moves are very obvious, and the 0 Atk IVs minimise any confusion damage - the same on every Pokémon I have without a physical attack.

[​IMG]

Rotom-W Genderless @ Choice Scarf
    Levitate | Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd | 2 Atk | 30 Def
    Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Hidden Power [Ice] | Trick

The first of my VoltTurning Pokémon, and probably the only semi-fast Pokémon on the team. Working with Landorus mainly, Rotom can hit hard and fast with STAB Hydro Pump, being powerful enough in rain to OHKO Pokémon such as Heatran, and also work to gradually wear the opponent down with VoltTurn-induced switching and rage. Hidden Power [Ice] to do good damage to any Dragon-types, Trick to break Chansey, Blissey or anything else overly defensive.

As I was insistent on there being a good number of cores in the team, Rotom forms cores with both Landorus and Magnezone, keeping up the momentum for the whole team, and forcing the opponent to switch a lot to keep up.

[​IMG]

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Sturdy | Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
    252 HP / 176 Def / 36 SpAtk / 44 SpDef | 30 Spd
    Stealth Rock | Rapid Spin | Gyro Ball | Hidden Power [Ice]

The team needed a Rapid Spinner, definitely and obviously, so I chose Forretress for this job. The Dragon-type resistance I think is needed, as I don't see Magnezone tanking any powerful hits any time soon. The EVs are intended to maximise Forretress' defensive stats, while still being able to do moderate damage to Pokémon such as Salamence, which can't OHKO with Fire Blast in the rain anyway - if I switch into an Outrage, I can take those hits while doing ~30% to it for a couple of turns, which is good.

Stealth Rock seemed like the only entry hazard that I needed and wanted for this team. It being an offensive team, three turns to get Spikes up to its full potential seemed like too much, and the same story with Toxic Spikes, so Stealth Rock does well, hitting everything that switches in, breaking Multiscale, etc.

[​IMG]

Magnezone Genderless @ Leftovers
    Magnet Pull | Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    36 HP / 252 SpAtk / 220 Spd | 2 Atk | 30 SpAtk | 30 Spd
    Substitute | Thunder | Volt Switch | Hidden Power [Fire]

With me relying pretty heavily on being able to punch holes in the opponent's team with mainly Haxorus, having a Pokémon to clear away Steel-types seemed like a good idea, even if Haxorus does have Earthquake. In a choice between Magnezone and Magneton, Magnezone wins out for me in this case especially - the extra power is definitely needed to still do a respectable amount of damage with Hidden Power [Fire] under rain. One-on-one against Ferrothorn, possibly the main source of most of my team's problems, Magnezone can win as long as I'm able to keep my Sub up - if it manages to somehow Leech Seed me, then I have to switch out. Hidden Power [Fire] still does a respectable ~50% to it under rain, with it unable to break my subs with a couple of Power Whips, so that essentially becomes a non-issue (unless I run into a Bulldoze set).

Jirachi's a huge problem for this team - one which Magnezone can do little-to-nothing to fix. If I already have a Sub up, then that's a free Thunder - if it paralyses, great. If it doesn't, I need to switch out immediately. Most of the time after KOing a Steel-type, it can get off a free Thunder or Volt Switch due to having a Sub still intact, which can come in handy a lot of the time.

[​IMG]

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
    Mold Breaker | Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
    Dragon Dance | Outrage | Earthquake | Aqua Tail

I must say, I'm not actually 100% satisfied with how Haxorus seems to be doing on this team at all. Sometimes it's the star pupil, sometimes it just sits in the corner licking the wall - it's far too variable. I know what I'd like to replace this with - a certain Dragon/Ground-type - but let's not talk about that at all. Yet.

As I mentioned, Jirachi poses a threat to many members of the team, and I don't exactly have many answers for it. This, however, is one of them, being able to shrug off one paralysis, boost up, and then hopefully KO with Earthquake, but there's never any promise of that - again, too variable. Sometimes I OHKO boosted, sometimes I don't and it ruins me.

I actually do switch between Jolly and Adamant natures, but I do prefer being able to hit harder right off the bat, even though the loss of Speed can hurt sometimes (quite a bit).

Out of the whole team, probably the most easiest to replace, and the member that I can't say I'll miss if it goes. It's done well, but not great, sadly.

[​IMG]

Landorus Therian @ Choice Band
    Intimidate | Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    U-Turn | Earthquake | Superpower | Stone Edge

This thing hits like a truck. Full of trucks. Made of old Nokias. Choice Band lets it easily clear 600 Attack, and the relatively low Speed stat of 281 doesn't matter when you're able to predict the switches that it inevitably will force. Switching it into any of your opponent's physical Pokémon is just satisfying, and then nailing whatever they send out with a superpowered move is even more so. There are definitely things to look out for, though. Mixed sets on anything would most likely do a lot of damage here, and I've been making sure to be very careful around Pokémon like Tyranitar - I never know which are carrying Ice Beam and which aren't - but overall, it works amazingly well, especially with the VoltTurn strategy that this team uses.

Normally I'd attempt to show some impressive damage calcs, but come on. 640 Attack. Really, guys. It's just immense.

Conclusion;

So that's the whole team. It's done so well for me so far, but I know that there are improvements that can be made, and I would very much like to hear what some of you have to say about it. I think I have a good thing going here for once, which is why I'm sharing it now.

As I mentioned, Jirachi is a huge threat to this team - if I don't manage to predict it switching in or what moves it's going to use (which is more than a little likely), it's going to do some serious damage, and, of course, I don't want that at all. Who would?

Changes that I'm considering making are dropping Haxorus for something else - most likely another physically offensive Dragon-type - and I've been seriously considering testing out a Genesect somewhere in there too, being hugely impressed last time I used it in DW.

But anyway, I'll just hand it over to whoever want to rate the team now. At least you guys know what you're doing. Thanks very much for reading.

Importable;

Code:
    Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
    - Protect

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 36 SAtk / 44 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Thunder
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch

Haxorus (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail

Landorus-T (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge
  2. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Awesome team man! I really like it, seems very original.

So I really don't want to change much about the team due to the way your mons seem to work together. You said you were unhappy about Haxorus and Im gunna recommend trying out Dragonite over it. The set I recommend it:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Waterfall
    - ExtremeSpeed

So this dude would obviously play a very similar role to your current dragon, but I believe he would bring the consistency that you feel Haxorus lacks. Your team is already a very welcome sight to Dnite, as Forretress is one of this dragon's premier teammates; bringing that Rapid Spin that makes Multiscale so good. He also helps alleviate a little stress from your teams minor weakness to Volcarona.

I'd also like to suggest trying a Choice Specs Magnezone over your current set. The set is in question:

Show Hide

[​IMG]Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpAtk / 108 Spd
    Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder
    - Flash Cannon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

I feel like this set will better suit how I see you playing your Magnezone, as more of a get in and finish the job type of mon. Even if you switch into Ferrothorn's Leech Seed while in the Rain, that steel monstrosity is going down. It also pairs really well with your Choice Band Landorus-I.

My final suggestion is Have Fun and Good Luck!
  3. Intergalactic

Intergalactic

I'll give the Dragonite set a try, but I promised myself that I wouldn't change to a Specs set on Magnezone. If I'm hit with a Leech Seed, a guaranteed 2HKO with my current Sub set suddenly becomes either the same result, or worse. Being able to change moves around and be protected for a turn after the Steel-type is out of the way with is great, as Thunder hits like a ton of bricks. The current set lacks a little power, yes, but it's made up for it with being able to stick around for a startling amount of time.

Thanks for the rate, too.
  4. -Rockstar-

-Rockstar-

Hi there.This is a really well built team and I really like the fact you used Choice Band Landorus-T in rain, it's a rare sight but a great weapon for Rain to use against sand and sun teams so great job on that.Now on to the rate, the first change I would suggest is replacing your Haxorus with a much more Dangerous Dragon which should get you better results and that would be DD Salamence, with Hazards support, Landorus punching holes with the damage your opponent gets for the Volt Switching too, getting 1 kill after a Dragon Dance will be very easy and after that at +2 with a move set of Outrage/Earthquake/Dragon Claw and the fact Magnezone can trap the steel types that trouble Mence it will be a great weapon to use over Haxorus. Now moving on I would suggest you replace your current Politoed set with a Choice Specs Politoed, it will open up your opponents team for Salamence and Landorus to wreck havoc, with Choice Specs Politoed can OHKO/2HKO pretty much the entire Tier except Chansey and Blissey which are 3HKO'd (2HKO'd with some prior damage) , It would just help this style of offensive team so much more in my opinion.Luvdisc'd because it's a great team.

Sets (open)

[​IMG]
    Salamence @ Lum Berry | Moxie
    Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Outrage | Dragon Claw | Earthquake | Dragon Dance

[​IMG]
    Politoed @ Choice Specs | Drizzle
    Modest | x / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
    Hydro Pump | Hidden Power[Grass] | Focus Blast | Ice beam

Good Luck.
  5. chimpact

chimpact fire nation
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Rock Polish Genesect can serve as a problem to your team. Bug Buzz/Flamthrower/Ice Beam takes out your entire team with a +1 Download boost. It can get the Spatk boost on Rotom W locked into hp ice or on Forretress. I would definitely give Rotom W 4 Spdef EVs over defense so it doesnt get that boost. In addition, if you give your Magnezone 4 more HP EVs, it is guaranteed to live a Modest +1 Flamethrower after rocks 100% of the time (in rain). You can do over 60% to Genesect with Gyro Ball from Forretress (Easy 2hko if they rock polish), but you have to maintain Sturdy.

I would definitely replace Haxorus with a DD dragonite if you feel haxorus isn't cutting it. Haxorus really has trouble taking hits which may be why you have consistency issues with it. Dragonite however can utilize the same moveset, but can use priority Extremespeed (or Aqua Jet) over Superpower/Earthquake. DD/Outrage/Waterfall/Extremespeed can definitely have success especially with Magnezone eliminating steel types that would normally cause that set to have trouble.
  6. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude Different breed imo
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor

Hey man nice team you have here!

Looking at your Magnezone i understand it's job is to trap Ferrothorn but it doesn't seem to be able to do that much apart from that. Infact i would go so far as to say it slows down the offensive nature of your team because of its inability to be fast enough to dish out real damage to anything but Steel-Types with a 4x weakness to Fire. Offensive Ground-Type pokemon can switch in and cause havoc like Swords Dance Gliscor. This forces you to switch which isn't exactly ideal on pokemon like Choice Band Landorus-T who can hit your switch in hard with Stab Earthqauke or just U-Turn out. Speaking of Therians Thunderous-T looks pretty dangerous against Magnezone as well especially the Agility set which can easily get an Agility on Magnezone and sweep your team with a combination of Thunder, Hidden Power [Ice], and Focus Blast. What i am trying to say is that Magnezone opens your team up to alot of offensive threats when it is on the field due to its poor coverage and feeble Hidden Power [Fire] in rain. Even though it's supposed to take on Ferrothorn with Hidden Power [Fire] being a 3hko at best Ferrothorn gets the time to set its hazards up. Thats why a good change would be Terrakion>Magnezone Terrakion is a great offensive pokemon and an awesome revenge killer to have in your team. He wrecks nothing synergy wise as he posses a rock resist like Magnezone and shares alot of the same weakneses with him. Terrakion can also deal with Ferrothorn using Close Combat. Althoug he cant directly switch in due to your team having a sturdy Volt-Turn core in Landorus-T and Rotom-W Terrakion can often switch in because Rotom-W lures in Ferrothorn. Also alot of the times Ferrothorn will go for Spikes giving you a free switch into him. Terrakion is also a good pokemon to use against Tyranitar a rival weather abuser who will not want to switch in to much because some of your members can simply Volt Switch or U-Turn into Terrakion. This helps you with the weather war which is good seeing as this is one of those rain teams without Dugtrio.

Another thing i noticed about your team was that nothing really wants to take a Hurricane from Spec Tornadus-T except maybe Rotom-W who will get destroyed by it's Grass Knot. Speaking about Rotom-W it has more then 510 evs haha, but if you decide to go with my change of Terrakion then you can very easily run a Specially Defensive Set>Choice Scarf Set Specially Defensive Rotom-W is one of the best checks to Tornadus-T and also provides your team with a bulky pivot which is great because this team hasn't got to much pokemon to sponge powerful water type attacks from rival rain offense teams. This set still keeps it's Volt Switch and Hydro Pump but can also utilise Will-o-Wisp to it's advantage burning common switch ins and giving Haxorus an easier time setting up. Rotom-W also helps your team a little more against Genesect as he can take his attacks quite easily.

Other then that great team i hope i helped :)

Sets
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
    Jolly | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Stone Edge | Close Combat | Earthqauke | X-Scissor
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
    Calm | 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Sp Def
    Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Will-o-Wisp | Pain Split

Tl;dr
    Show Hide

Terrakion--->Magnezone

Rotom-W
    .Specially Defensive--->Choice Scarf

~Superpowerdude
  7. Me So Shiny

Me So Shiny

I agree with joeyboy and rockstar, you should replace Haxorus with either Salamence or Dnite. Which one you use is entirely up to you, while Salamence is much faster and has moxie, once opposing steels are gone can sweep easily. But Dnite has multiscale almost guaranteeing two boosts. Personally I love scarf salamence, since you are using magnezone you can use him to eliminate steels that would stop an outrage sweep. Using scarfmence is fairly simple, wear down the opposing team and eliminate the steels with zone, then get a free switch in for mence and hit outrage and watch the moxie bosts add up. Here's the set

[​IMG] @ Choice Scarf
    Moxie
    Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Outrage | Dragon Claw | Earthquake | Brick Break/Fire Blast

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)