1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

.:Light Up The Night: Volmise's Studio:.

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Volmise, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Oglemi

Oglemi gimme
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

2 days???????

beast
  2. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Love your art as always :)

Volmise, can you make Volcarona cute??
  3. Volmise

Volmise .:The Firefly Light:.
    is an Artist Alumnus

Art duuuuuuuuumpppppppp.

This is all stuff I've worked on in the past ~week and a half. Been a little ill and busy the past while, but I'm working on that.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...not letting my thread get that far behind again, whew. Also, I could try to make Volcarona cute, if you so wish!
  4. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Spent about 90 minutes total on this one. REALLY proud of it. <3
  5. thelaytonmobile

thelaytonmobile

Pure awesomeness - you put so much detail in the backgrounds, and the Pokemon themselves look amazing!
    And is that an Animal Crossing tree I spy in the Pika+Umbrella pic? In fact the whole thing looks Animal-Crossingy! (which is awesome)
  6. Demist

Demist

Wonderful art. As posted above, backgrounds are so detailed. Poke drawings are just too awesome. Cute and bright perfectly describes your art. Kdep up the good work.
  7. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

It is! The group that was drawn for is a crossover Animal Crossing and Pokémon group. So I try my best to mix the two. :3
  8. Zracknel

Zracknel
    is an Artistis a Super Moderator
    Art Co-Leader

I don't know, man

I don't usually bring criticisms to art threads and I do like your stuff, but I've been feeling like you are holding yourself back in a way

I feel like a lot of your illustrations feel flatter and less mature overall than they could because you've got a set stroke weight the whole way around your shapes-- it might be a subtle suggestion, but I think a little more weight variance could go a long way towards helping things feel less mechanical. If nothing else, it will impress the vector snobs who are on the lookout for this sort of thing

and since you seem keen on work time I will personally vouch for these things not adding too much time to the process, haha :)

I know it probably sounds pretty silly coming from me since I abuse uniformly offset paths like it's my job, but I feel like your stroked paths are a bit much even for me, haha

that being said, I definitely dig the painted forest background in your jiggilypuff/meloetta piece, and would be interested to see any future painting endeavors

just my two cents; best of luck with things
  9. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

I really do appreciate the honest and helpful constructive criticism, it means a lot to me.

Honestly I've been playing around with varying line weights in some doodles, but it's going to require some practice before I find something I'm comfortable with and willing to show off. It's a good thing though - lets me develop my own type, after all.

Thank you very much though! It's comments like these that really do help me strive to improve!
  10. HellaHellaStyle

HellaHellaStyle The ROCKST☆R connoisseur.
    is an Artist Alumnus

I may be a little biased since I effing ♥ western cartoons, but I personally love all this vector work and appreciate the time you're putting into learning Illustrator.

I been using it a lot for the past few months and it can be hella tough and time consuming. It's like learning to draw all over again.

Great stuff here. I can't wait to see your progress. ♥disc.
  11. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

I actually don't use Illustrator at all. All of my work is done in Photoshop CS5, or Paint Tool SAI. :)

But thank you very much regardless!
  12. NatGeo

NatGeo sun's coming up
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Heh 69 discs

Anyways I friggin love that pikachu with my heart and soul, it's so dignified and everything! More stuff like that please! Btw who do you draw inspriation from for your art? I can't think of anybody in particular though that might just be because it's western and not japanese lol
  13. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

I think the fact that you don't use Illustrator to get Illustrator-like effects gets to the root of the issue that Zracknel was getting at. A more fluid, natural brush-like stroke is what you need to get rid of the "mechanical" feeling - and it makes sense that some of your work feels mechanical, since that's the type of method you use to achieve the Illustrator-type look (according to your tutorials). Getting a line to do what you want, line-weight and all, in one fluid motion, requires a TON of practice to master (not that I can do this, but I've seen it at work), but it might be worth trying if you're interested more flowy, life-like cartoons. Maybe try practicing with a brush-pen (there are lots of videos and tutorials of cartoonists inking with brush-pens to be found I'm sure!) edit: like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLEp0iR0Ko&feature=related

Anyway, ranty-rant aside, I was super excited to see your update! Love love love the chu family picture! And the watercolour-style shading on your Pikachu character is gorgeous!
  14. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Most of my inspiration comes from Ken Sugimori. While I do try to draw like him though, I also try to add my own flair in.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. I'm trying my best to ease out of it, but it's not really something my current lining method lets me do, so I've been mucking around a little with linework in SAI, where I honestly have a little more control of my brush and the weight of the lines. I've also been practicing a little with a set of pens on paper, but I'm not too great using traditional methods.

It's not something that will come easy, but the result will be worth it once I get the hang of things.
  15. Pocket

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Volmise, I was looking at your MLP Zebrastrika, Rapidash, and Girafarig, and then I started wondering if you ever thought of drawing MLP Sawsbuck and Stantler. I think those are the only "horse pkmn" left? Anyways, thanks for gracing us with your cute art :)
  16. MikaDo

MikaDo

Your shading is perfect! I really love these!!
    You take requests? I would love to see a Victreebel with Meloetta aria.

:>
  17. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

I've been considering drawing Sawsbuck and Stantler in the MLP style, yes. Kinda need to be in a "mood" to draw Ponies, but it's something that'll come soon, I promise!

Mika: I do take requests, but commissions and personal stuff do take priority. Not trying to get your hopes up or even shoot you down!
  18. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Been really busy lately. Will get back to posting art regularly soon.
  19. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Took the suggestions on my lineart and tried something a little different.
  20. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Have another in the new lining style.
  21. Pocket

whatever you're doing it's working :o
  22. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

I like this one the best.
  23. Volmise

is an Artist Alumnus

Please excuse my absence. Here, let me make up for that with some art. (This isn't everything I've done in the past... two months. Just stuff I'm more proud of. Check the front page of the thread for links to everything.)

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  24. GlassAbsol

GlassAbsol

Volmise. Why are there no replies in your thread? That makes me sad. You're really improving and doing a lot of hard work to improve. It all looks great. Especially that Eevee. Cutest thing I've ever seen in my life. :) In the post before Pocket's reply that pikachu... It's mouth is right off center. Yes we can see it but we shouldn't be able to see all of it. Otherwise. I think you're brilliant. Keep up the great work
  25. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

My favourite out of that lot has to be the Ampharos. It's simple, charming and adorable.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)