Linked

With the permission of Hack_Guy in PS, we are also discussing Item Clause for Choice items, which are currently more centralizing than Talonflame in Linked. Every non-Trick Room team carries it. So, no more "Talonflame keeps Scarfers in check" argument, because we'll also deal with the Choice items issue.

Choice items are the most buffed items in Linked, because you can boost while choice locked in it here while normally you can't. It also buffs both attacks in a link by x1.5 without almost no drawbacks if you hold Choice Band/Specs, making things unwallable (Specs Kingdra in Rain 1HKOs Keldeo even with resist). At least Life Orb gives you recoil, 20% if you use two attacks, while you can say Choice items has almost no drawbacks here in Linked, because you can use two moves.

We decided to discuss this at the same time as Talonflame suspect so that there will be no more "Talonflame prevents Scarfers run rampant" argument (and Talonflame's best item is CHOICE Band). So, do you think something needs to be done to limit Choice items in Linked?
I have to agree here, almost every single team carries choice items. Common offensive teams have scarf attackers such as manaphy, victini, jirachi etc. It's also run on faketurn teams. Trick Room/weather teams also run choice band/specs for the boost on two attacks. Choice items are given a huge boost because it locks you into two moves instead of one, so a bit of a nerf would be decent.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
So, for Choice Item Clause, I'm thinking two choice items per team should be managable. Or should it be only one per team?
Tbh, I think it should be limited to 2 scarfs per team. Band and Specs are fine imho, as they are easily revenge by Scarfers, mons under Trick Room, and basically any faster mon due to the power creep. If they have to be included in a general "Choice Item Clause" then I think 2 (or even 3, but max 2 scarfs or something) would be better, as it is a fundamental part of Linked, and I fear that Trick Room may end up too dominant if there is only one choice item allowed per team

Tbh, I think it should be limited to 2 scarfs per team. Band and Specs are fine imho, as they are easily revenge by Scarfers, mons under Trick Room, and basically any faster mon due to the power creep. If they have to be included in a general "Choice Item Clause" then I think 2 (or even 3, but max 2 scarfs or something) would be better, as it is a fundamental part of Linked, and I fear that Trick Room may end up too dominant if there is only one choice item allowed per team
Remember that Trick Room teams are the one who will carry Band and Specs if they aren't limited, so I think limiting all choice items are better, because they are kinda overpowered in general.

If the original Mystery Dungeon does what The Immortal said (order of Linked move determined which one you choose) then I'll support it. Seriously, I don't know what difference would it make with the usual move 1 then 2 order. I don't think it makes the meta more offensive because I think it's practically the same, being two moves used in one turn.
Sorru if this isn't my responsibility to answer but
In PMD you can only choose the first move; the second move is disabled unless the link is broken

I think limiting Choice Item to one per team would be the best solution for this. No more dual Scarf faketurns and it'll also limit Trick Room teams to carry more than one Band/Specs, making things more managable. Also, if Talon got banned, Fletchinder exists (itemless AA + Acro cleanly 1HKO Weavile btw) and it doesn't need a Choice item to function :)

So the results of the council voting are in, it's come to 2 ban, 2 no ban and one abstain

So for now not much will be done about talon since we're at a tie

For now, we're going to discuss a choice item clause. From the start choice items were centralizing in Linked, but only once a ladder was up did the true extent of it come to light. teams with 6 scarfers can easily win without that much skill required. So how does a restriction of one choice item (be it scarf/band/specs) per team sound?

So the results of the council voting are in, it's come to 2 ban, 2 no ban and one abstain

So for now not much will be done about talon since we're at a tie

For now, we're going to discuss a choice item clause. From the start choice items were centralizing in Linked, but only once a ladder was up did the true extent of it come to light. teams with 6 scarfers can easily win without that much skill required. So how does a restriction of one choice item (be it scarf/band/specs) per team sound?
Because it's a tie, I assume the suspect isn't finished yet. Will we continue doing the Talon-less tours? We still need some data for talon-less meta.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
We need a lot more discussion on this, so maybe we should let it be known on PS, but for now I'd just be happier with Talon-less tours to test the meta, it's much more fun.

A- ~~> A or A+

Where do I even start with this monster? Bisharp is currently one of the best mons in Linked, hands down. I have no idea why many poeple are choosing not to use him, because it 6-0s or at least 4-0s a ton of teams. Despite being a physical attacker, it has found ways to survive and thrive in the current metagame. If you don't know what I mean, you soon will. Bisharp's best set is Swords Dance + Knock Off/Sucker Punch/Iron Head. We've all known for a long time that strong priority is the best win condition in the meta, and bish has just that. It functions best as a revenge sweeper, so that it gets a free turn to switch in and get the swords dance boost. After one boost, it's extremely difficult to take down. Anything that outspeeds it (mostly scarfers like Gengar and Serperior) simply die to Sucker Punch, making it a potent threat. The Abilities Bisharp has also contributes to its viability. Leading with a hazard setter works wonders on a team with Bisharp, as you can bait out a Defog and immediately receive Defiant boosts. It also has the option of running Inner Focus, a great way to deal with Faketurn. As far as Talonflame goes, it's basically a 50/50. If the Talon goes for a Flare Blitz, you can Sucker Punch it, but if they go for flying moves, you are outsped and 2HKOd. If you predict the Brave Bird link, however, you live one link and can easily OHKO back with SD + Koff. Bisharp should be at least A rank because it's as good as, if not better than, Weavile. Granted it's not blazing fast like Weavile, but it's slightly more powerful and has a better chance of sweeping because of it's stronger priority. And it's most certainly better than Diance-Mega, which shouldn't be in A rank anyway. Bisharp can run Power-Up Punch + Assurance do deal massive damage, but I find that set easier to stop. Either way Bisharp is a great mon that I've been adding to more teams because when you use it, it just works. It's incredible how secure your win is if you keep Bish in the back while removing the few threats it has, like Keldeo and Quagsire. This is a replay I found of a TR team trying to go against Bisharp. Lol.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/linked-241694602

A- ~~> A or A+

Where do I even start with this monster? Bisharp is currently one of the best mons in Linked, hands down. I have no idea why many poeple are choosing not to use him, because it 6-0s or at least 4-0s a ton of teams. Despite being a physical attacker, it has found ways to survive and thrive in the current metagame. If you don't know what I mean, you soon will. Bisharp's best set is Swords Dance + Knock Off/Sucker Punch/Iron Head. We've all known for a long time that strong priority is the best win condition in the meta, and bish has just that. It functions best as a revenge sweeper, so that it gets a free turn to switch in and get the swords dance boost. After one boost, it's extremely difficult to take down. Anything that outspeeds it (mostly scarfers like Gengar and Serperior) simply die to Sucker Punch, making it a potent threat. The Abilities Bisharp has also contributes to its viability. Leading with a hazard setter works wonders on a team with Bisharp, as you can bait out a Defog and immediately receive Defiant boosts. It also has the option of running Inner Focus, a great way to deal with Faketurn. As far as Talonflame goes, it's basically a 50/50. If the Talon goes for a Flare Blitz, you can Sucker Punch it, but if they go for flying moves, you are outsped and 2HKOd. If you predict the Brave Bird link, however, you live one link and can easily OHKO back with SD + Koff. Bisharp should be at least A rank because it's as good as, if not better than, Weavile. Granted it's not blazing fast like Weavile, but it's slightly more powerful and has a better chance of sweeping because of it's stronger priority. And it's most certainly better than Diance-Mega, which shouldn't be in A rank anyway. Bisharp can run Power-Up Punch + Assurance do deal massive damage, but I find that set easier to stop. Either way Bisharp is a great mon that I've been adding to more teams because when you use it, it just works. It's incredible how secure your win is if you keep Bish in the back while removing the few threats it has, like Keldeo and Quagsire. This is a replay I found of a TR team trying to go against Bisharp. Lol.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/linked-241694602
Can agree with this. It's a really good metagame with all the scarfers around. Though Talonflame does a ton of damage 60-70% so if you chip some damage off and talonflame revenge kills, though it absolutely rapes trick room, which is really neat.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I thought I'd post it here because idk how viable it is. Of course, if choice items are banned, Choice BannedBand will not be an option for obvious reasons (replace with one of Life Orb, Metal Coat or Lum Berry - a boosting item is required to net certain KOs, but Lum Berry means that it doesn't get destroyed by Klefki and T-Wave Thundurus), but it still seems cool in theory. I will try it out a little in the future, but for now this is me theorymonning.

Klinklang @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Wild Charge

Basically, the principle here is based around Shift Gear being the best non item-reliant boosting move in the game (its effectively a better Dragon Dance). This in conjunction with Klinklang's access to the coveted Gear Grind (the strongest physical Steel-type attack in the game (second strongest Steel-type attack overall, only being beaten by Doom Desire if you factor in both hits) makes it a fearsome physical attacker which, in theory, is very difficult to stop once Quagsire, Ferrothorn etc. are gone and it gets the ball rolling. The other options are just filler to hit Steel-type resistances if you feel that's more important than setting up or to take advantage of forcing stuff like Clefable out.
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 396-468 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Uses it as setup fodder. This is probably one of the prime ways of getting Klinklang into a position where it can sweep.
  • +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 224-264 (82.3 - 97%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +1 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 168-198 (61.7 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 124-147 (47.3 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Capable of dealing heavy damage to Bisharp, not allowing the latter to switch in on it (guarantees an OHKO at +2 if its switched into SR twice) while also not being reliably KOed by Sucker Punch.
  • +1 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 222-262 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 294-348 (98.9 - 117.1%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird + Acrobatics vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 132-157 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Capable of dealing heavy damage to Talonflame, not allowing the latter to switch in on it while not being reliably KOed by Brave Bird+Acrobatics.
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 246-290 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 176-210 (46 - 54.9%) -- approx. 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Not even PhysDef Landorus-T is capable of switching in on Klinklang.
  • +1 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 168-198 (49.2 - 58%) -- approx. 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Not even Victini can deal with it. Klinklang outpaces Scarf variants after just one Gear Grind, making switch-in attempts futile.

Just theorymonning this is making me excited :] this sounds so powerful :]

I thought I'd post it here because idk how viable it is. Of course, if choice items are banned, Choice BannedBand will not be an option for obvious reasons (replace with one of Life Orb, Metal Coat or Lum Berry - a boosting item is required to net certain KOs, but Lum Berry means that it doesn't get destroyed by Klefki and T-Wave Thundurus), but it still seems cool in theory. I will try it out a little in the future, but for now this is me theorymonning.

Klinklang @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Wild Charge

Basically, the principle here is based around Shift Gear being the best non item-reliant boosting move in the game (its effectively a better Dragon Dance). This in conjunction with Klinklang's access to the coveted Gear Grind (the strongest physical Steel-type attack in the game (second strongest Steel-type attack overall, only being beaten by Doom Desire if you factor in both hits) makes it a fearsome physical attacker which, in theory, is very difficult to stop once Quagsire, Ferrothorn etc. are gone and it gets the ball rolling. The other options are just filler to hit Steel-type resistances if you feel that's more important than setting up or to take advantage of forcing stuff like Clefable out.
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 396-468 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Uses it as setup fodder. This is probably one of the prime ways of getting Klinklang into a position where it can sweep.
  • +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 224-264 (82.3 - 97%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +1 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 168-198 (61.7 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 124-147 (47.3 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Capable of dealing heavy damage to Bisharp, not allowing the latter to switch in on it (guarantees an OHKO at +2 if its switched into SR twice) while also not being reliably KOed by Sucker Punch.
  • +1 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 222-262 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 294-348 (98.9 - 117.1%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird + Acrobatics vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Klinklang: 132-157 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Capable of dealing heavy damage to Talonflame, not allowing the latter to switch in on it while not being reliably KOed by Brave Bird+Acrobatics.
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 246-290 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 176-210 (46 - 54.9%) -- approx. 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Not even PhysDef Landorus-T is capable of switching in on Klinklang.
  • +1 252+ Atk Choice Band Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 168-198 (49.2 - 58%) -- approx. 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Not even Victini can deal with it. Klinklang outpaces Scarf variants after just one Gear Grind, making switch-in attempts futile.

Just theorymonning this is making me excited :] this sounds so powerful :]
Small nitpick, but if Klingklang has Clear Body, it won't be affected be the drop from Intimidate, meaning Landorus-T can't switch in safely AT ALL. Another potential set could be Substitute+Shift Gear with a more bulky approach. Klingklang will never have its Sub broken by Smack Down, and can keep setting up Subs. And thanks to its great mono-steel typing, it resists most priority, and can tank hits such as Dragonite's Extreme Speed+Aqua Jet combo. I'm actually pretty excited to test this out on the ladder, and see how it goes!

Alright, so the council has voted on the choice item clause, and it's a 5-0 in favor of it. So from now on only one choice item will be allowed per team, this not only stops scarf spam right in it's tracks, but also nerfs Trick Room, which is arguably one of the best playstyles in the meta due to it's reliance on specs/band

tagging The Immortal to implement this new clause

Also: we'll be revoting on talonflame in a bit, so for those of you who wanted to see what will happen to the bird, hang tight

I know I am little late but here is my opinion.
I run a team that has 4 Choice Users with 3 Choice Scarfs and 1 Band which is 6th on the ladder currently as I am posting. The Scarfs being Gengar Serperior and Weavile with the Band Talonflame. I personally used that many scarfs because I found no point in running anything else because I would be outsped by other Choice Scarf users plus the Link did alot of damage output anyway. A ban like like this would impact my team and make me have think which Pokemon to put the Choice Scarf on. I think the choice of choosing the correct choice scarf user may be pivotal to a team's success. It would make Dragon Dancers and pokemon who self boost their own speed more dominant too or can boost speed without a scarf succesful. Right now I am laddering up as much as possible before I have to adjust my team. I liked the quick matchs this meta-game produced without the clause. A choice clause would cause a big impact on the meta-game.

Last edited:
Alright, so the council has voted on the choice item clause, and it's a 5-0 in favor of it. So from now on only one choice item will be allowed per team, this not only stops scarf spam right in it's tracks, but also nerfs Trick Room, which is arguably one of the best playstyles in the meta due to it's reliance on specs/band

tagging The Immortal to implement this new clause

Also: we'll be revoting on talonflame in a bit, so for those of you who wanted to see what will happen to the bird, hang tight
I'm a little confused, does the choice item clause mean only 1 choice item can be used outright? Or does it mean you can only use 1 of EACH choice item (ie 1 scarfed mon and 1 specs mon). I really don't like the idea of using only 1 choice item outright that seems a little overkill imo.

Some nominations post Choice clause implementation.

Mega Metagross from B+ to A.
Since the choice clause is implemented, I've been playing with this, and I say it's very good. It's pretty fast, strong and able to slay Unawares with dual STAB or Grass Knot.

Tornadus T from unranked to B or B+.
It's one of the fastest poke and Assault Vest saved my ass several times. Pretty strong with Hurricane + Superpower or annoy things with Knock Off + U-turn. It's immune to Sticky Web (so its high Speed can't be lowered) and also has Regenerator to compensate its Stealth Rock weakness.

Beedrill-Mega from unranked to C+.
One of the poke that benefits from Choice clause. Has one of the fastest and strongest U-turn. Also Adaptability Poison Jab for Clefable. It's also very fast.

Edit: basically almost all megas need higher ranks because they do not need to worry about multiple Scarfers anymore.

Last edited:
Some nominations

Talonflame from S to A+
Talonflame was an immense threat at the very beginning of this metagame. However, the meta has simply evolved, as players have pretty much all evolved their teams to be able to counter Talonflame through Garchomp, Heatran and even Ferrothorn.

Pangorro from unranked to C
Pangorro, Fake Out+Hammer Arm, choice band, can effectively sweep entire teams with a trick room in play. However, due to the issue of a trick room being hard to put into play, Pangorro should be placed fairly low.

Some nominations

Talonflame from S to A+
Talonflame was an immense threat at the very beginning of this metagame. However, the meta has simply evolved, as players have pretty much all evolved their teams to be able to counter Talonflame through Garchomp, Heatran and even Ferrothorn.

Pangorro, Fake Out+Hammer Arm, choice band, can effectively sweep entire teams with a trick room in play. However, due to the issue of a trick room being hard to put into play, Pangorro should be placed fairly low.
What...
Are you serious? It's being suspect tested andis easily the best, most dominating and centralising thing in the metagame right now. It's the face of linked now with an extremely high usage stat.

If anything rank Pangoro C for a CB set with parting shot + stab

Some nominations

Talonflame from S to A+

Trick Room isn't that hard to put into play. However, there are better Choice Band users like Azumarill, Rhyperior (with Smack Down + Earthquake).

As for Talonflame, there is no reason it shouldn't be S rank. It's still a very defining poke. However, because you can only carry one Choice item in your team, it should be more managable because it loses power unless you want to give up your Choice item spot for Choice Band on Talonflame (for me, I would put Choice Scarf to one of my pokes rather than putting a Band on Talon).

Alright here are some nominations that I will be making.
Mega-Slowbro B+ to B-
I know this seems like a sudden drop but with the Choice Clause players are more likely to need an offense Mega Evolver like Lopunny or Altaria to succeed. It had a good role on my team before the clause as a Talonflame Wall and a wall that blocked sweepers. However due to Choice Clause I found some of my former Scarfs not useable and needed an offensive Mega replacement. Mega Slowbro is the 1 mega that suffers from the Choice Clause.
Mega-Pinsir B- to B+
This isn't on my team but I find too low on this list. I have seen the power firsthand of Mega-Pinsir by having it go through my team and then having it posted in this thread. That Mega Pinsir managed to go through a Garchomp and a TALONFLAME. Yes Talonflame! Mega Pinsir has a priority move as in Feint which can be faster than almost everything in the meta. With Sword Dance+ Return it can power-up while doing damage and when it has a boosted Feint it can be even more with Flying STAB added in. Mega Pinsir is not being put in A Ranks due to it's weaknesses to Stealth Rock. It has the same decline that is keeping Talonflame in check.

I honestly feel like this clause is going to shake up the rankings alot so expect alot more to come for alot of pokemon.

Raikou and Mega Manectric shouldn't be put in the same rank, especially after Choice Clause. Even if the first is non-mega and the second is, Mega Manectric is clearly better than Raikou due to Intimidate and significant difference in power and Speed.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor

Heatran from B+ to A+

Heatran, being an A+ mon in regular OU, has not lost any of its viability with the introduction of linked. Known for being a complete counter to a group of pokemon and being able to take a lot of hits, heatran fits in many teams.
With the lati twins being rare it has lost a bit of its viability. It makes up for it by being a complete counter to three of the biggest threats in linked right now, namely talonflame, clefable and jirachi.
While coming in on one of the three it sets up rocks and, with defoggers being very rare in linked, it's one of the few viable setters of rocks in linked and helps a team immensely with making talonflame and clefable useless. It also handles serperior, victini and ferrothorn really well and no pokemon can switch in twice with the combination of earth power and lava plume. It works well on both stall and balance, and even can be run under trick room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)