Linoone (BW2 Revamp) [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry this took a while to make, I've been kinda busy recently irl.

This is a takeover of zeb's Linoone analysis, which features a bulkier ev spread by FLCL, as well as slashing Return on Shadow Claw. Also I have no idea why Pickup is the main ability on the analysis over Gluttony; I'll just assume it was a small mistake. jk im dumb lol =)

I've also been seeing Sub Belly Drum Linoones on the ladder and I played around with it a little as well; I personally like the extra coverage of Seed Bomb and Shadow Claw but I think it deserves at least a mention in AC for the BD set. Opinions on this would be appreciated.

[Overview]

<p>Linoone is a fairly predictable Pokemon, as the Belly Drum and ExtremeSpeed combo remains pretty much the only reason to use it. However, while this does make Linoone somewhat risky to use, it is still extremely hard to stop once it has set up. Even with Linoone's measly base 70 Attack, ExtremeSpeed OHKOes nearly every Pokemon in NU that does not resist it after a Belly Drum. Unfortunately, Belly Drum is very hard to pull off because of Linoone's lackluster defenses, and there are many Rock-, Steel-, and Ghost-types that can stop a Linoone sweep in its tracks even after it has set up. As such, Linoone requires much team support to pull off a sweep, whether it is trapping, dual screens support, or the use of a slow Volt Switch or U-turn.</p>

[SET]
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: ExtremeSpeed
move 3: Shadow Claw / Return
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Sitrus Berry / Silk Scarf
ability: Pickup
nature: Adamant
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 40 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once the opponent's team is clear of imminent threats, Linoone is able to plow through it after a Belly Drum with a STAB-boosted ExtremeSpeed. At +2 priority, ExtremeSpeed allows Linoone to avoid being revenge killed by conventional methods such as Mach Punch and Sucker Punch. Shadow Claw and Seed Bomb provide Linoone the extra coverage it needs to damage Pokemon that would otherwise be able to tank or wall hits from it. Shadow Claw in particular allows Linoone to OHKO common Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Haunter, although both of them are able to outspeed Linoone with Speed investment. Seed Bomb is useful for Pokemon such as Alomomola, Carracosta, Piloswine, Seismitoad, and Golurk that would otherwise be able to survive an ExtremeSpeed. Return is also an option to consider over Shadow Claw if one wishes to damage Psychic-types such as Musharna and Exeggutor a bit more or if one prefers to have a stronger STAB move to use against slower Pokemon, but it makes Linoone even more susceptible to Ghost-types. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Silk Scarf gives Linoone an extra boost in power that makes ExtremeSpeed even more devastating after Belly Drum, and can also be used in tandem with Return over Shadow Claw. Otherwise, Sitrus Berry is the preferred option as it allows Linoone more freedom in setting up Belly Drum and can save Linoone when the extra health is necessary to prevent a revenge kill.</p>

<p>With ExtremeSpeed being Linoone's main form of offense, the given EV spread focuses on Linoone's bulk and power to ensure the best opportunity to set up and sweep after Belly Drum. Even without Speed investment, Linoone is still able to outspeed utility Misdreavus and OHKO with Shadow Claw. However, if one wishes to outspeed Haunter and other base 95 Pokemon, then an alternative EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe with a Jolly nature can be used, although this is noticeably less bulky and powerful. Substitute can be considered over Shadow Claw and Return if one wishes to ease prediction when setting up Belly Drum, but the lost coverage hampers Linoone's ability to run through teams freely. Additionally, Substitute is a bit difficult to set up as opponents will usually attack in desperation rather than switch when dealing with Linoone.</p>

<p>Setting up Belly Drum is difficult; as such, it is essential that Linoone has teammates focused around giving it opportunities to set up with little consequence. Dual screens users such as Gardevoir partner well with Linoone as the increased defenses allow for Linoone to avoid being KOed while setting up Belly Drum. Additionally, Gardevoir in particular can use Memento in tandem with dual screens to weaken enemy attacks even further, all while giving Linoone a free switch-in opportunity. Eelektross and Ampharos can utilize a slow Volt Switch in order to give Linoone a free switch-in opportunity as well. Pokemon that are able to absorb Toxic Spikes such as Garbodor and Skuntank are important to have in order to ensure that Linoone cannot be stalled out. Garbodor can also provide Spikes support while Skuntank can trap Ghost-type Pokemon with Pursuit, which are important to eliminate when using Linoone. Lastly, Pokemon that can eliminate Rock- and Steel-types such as Golurk, Sawk, Primeape, and Seismitoad are useful in clearing the way for a Linoone sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite Linoone's rather large movepool, only a small portion of it is usable, let alone viable. Choice Band Linoone has instant power with STAB ExtremeSpeed and doesn't need to go through the hassle of setting up, but it is still admittedly weak as a base 70 Attack Pokemon. Trick or Switcheroo can be used alongside Choice Band in order to cripple defensive Pokemon as well. Gluttony and Salac Berry can be used over Pickup for specific situations where Linoone needs to outspeed Pokemon without using ExtremeSpeed, such as against Choice Scarf Haunter. Rock Smash can be used on the Belly Drum set to deal more damage to Bastiodon, but it fails to OHKO it because Rock Smash is inherently weak. Dig can also be used to hit Steel-types such as Metang and Klang harder, but the opponent can simply switch out and play around Dig accordingly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Linoone lacks many checks and counters once Belly Drum is set up, defensive Steel-types can still generally handle it. Metang can withstand all of Linoone's attacks and respond with a Meteor Mash, while Bastiodon is able to Roar Linoone away while also being able to tank a +6 Seed Bomb. Probopass can manage to last a hit as well and can retaliate by either paralyzing it or attacking with Power Gem.</p>

<p>Pokemon with the Sturdy ability such as Golem, Gigalith, and Carracosta can survive any hit and pick off Linoone in return, but they must be able to switch in at 100% health in order to do so. Ghost-types can beat Linoone if it does not carry Shadow Claw, and Haunter in particular can outspeed the standard Linoone set. Choice Scarf Haunter can outspeed Linoone even if it opts to run a faster spread and acts as a solid check. Lastly, Tangela and Regirock can both withstand Linoone's attacks if they are healthy enough, and can retaliate with Giga Drain and Drain Punch respectively while restoring health in the process. </p>

Last edited:
Being a 3rd gen exclusive move, Extremespeed isn't legal with Quick Feet
It's legal with Gluttony though thanks to the 50% chance of stuff from 3rd gen evolving into mons with 4th gen abilities in 4th gen.
Otherwise looks fine

A couple of points.

First, Gluttony + Sitrus Berry is completely useless. Gluttony only causes pinch berries (such as the Salac Berry) to activate at 50% health instead of 25%, but the Sitrus Berry already activates at 50%. Pickup actually does have a very situational use: whenever the opponent uses a one-time use item and Linoone has no item, it gains the item that the opponent just used. This will rarely be useful, but since Linoone will be using its Sitrus Berry every time it uses Belly Drum, you'll often be without an item. This at least gives you the opportunity to nab an extra Sitrus Berry off of a Harvest Exeggutor, maybe get a free Salac Berry off some random Salac sweeper, etc. So if you were wondering why Zeb had Pickup down for Linoone, that's about it.

That said, I think Gluttony + Salac Berry could use a mention in Other Options, unless there's some illegality issue I'm unaware of. Linoone probably won't need the extra speed most of the time on account of Extremespeed, but base 100 is a pretty good spot to be at. After a Belly Drum and Salac boost, Linoone outspeed tons of common Scarf users such as Jynx, Primeape, Adamant Tauros, etc., and it gets the bonus of outspeeding and OHKOing Haunter (who is immune to Extremespeed). You also have the freedom of running a stronger STAB Return instead of Extremespeed. I'd probably still rather use the current set due to the extra bulk and ability to beat opposing priority users with Extremespeed, but a Salac set could warrant an Other Options mention.

Also, as mentioned above, Extremespeed is a 3rd Gen event move, and so it is illegal with Quick Feet.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
drop 4 evs in hp so linoone can activate sitrus after belly drum at full hp. 176 hp evs hits 341 hp

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for telling me about Pickup. I had no idea that it had such a mechanic, so I edited it in. I also made the other changes you guys suggested, thank you for the feedback

mention dig in oo (maybe ac?) as it's the only way linoone is touching stuff like metang, bastiodon, and probopass. sure these pokemon will just switch out when they see linoone is digging underground, but it's not like they can really take advantage of it besides an immediate (as in before linoone is digging) switch to a flying-type/levitating mon that is slower than linoone (...misdreavus?). tangela and haunter work too for different reasons.

it's amazing how linoone has coverage so bad that dig is a somewhat viable option....

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
imo, Dig shouldn't be mentioned.Levitate/Flying type mons will and can take advantage of the free switch (Misdreavus is particularly deadly as it still survives a +6 Shadow Claw the turn after [Assuming no prior damage - even then there's a 25% it can survive after SR Damage] And Cause a nasty Burn rendering it useless. Similarly Bastiodon can "predict" the Dig and hit for a double power EQ.

Calcs (All assuming after dig)
+6 252 Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 272-322 (83.95 - 99.38%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I think that Rock Smash should be mentioned. Whilst not overly powerful the def drop could come in handy for cleaning up particularly defensive mons.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rock Smash only really help against Bastiodon and Probopass imo, which are 2HKO by Seed Bomb already:

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bastiodon: 161-190 (49.69 - 58.64%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Seed Bomb vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 185-218 (61.46 - 72.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

But I can see Rock Smash being only helpful against Bastiodon, as you don't want to be phazed away.

Also, who runs Earthquake on Bastiodon. o_O

gotta disagree with that, i think dig should be mentioned.

linoone will be sweeping late game when missy is already damaged, or at the very least have stealth rock up, so missy will almost certainly die, as it's outsped. other flying types are vulnerable to extremespeed, and even if they outspeed linoone its irrelevant due to Xspeeds priority

bastiodon uses earthquake?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
Rock Smash was already mentioned in OO

Concerning Dig: I saw Dig in the current Linoone analysis and I was rather skeptical about it, even if it's one of the only ways Linoone can touch Steel-types. It's risky to use Dig because it doesn't even guarantee that you kill Probopass, Bastiodon, or Metang because after seeing Dig once and switching out of it, you are putting Linoone in danger every time it attempts to use Dig because it lost its surprise factor. If after seeing Dig once my opponent switches in a Mandibuzz on the turn that Linoone begins to Dig, I'm screwed. Sure, I can predict the switch and ExtremeSpeed instead to kill Mandibuzz, but all this seems to be quite the hassle all for trying to touch things like Bastiodon and Metang. It's not like this thing is DD Bounce Gyarados either, which usually also has the luxury of hiding behind a sub.

However, I do acknowledge that Dig has at least that one niche, and I have no qualms about putting in OO if you guys want.

[SET COMMENTS]
Fake Out has a higher priority bracket than Extremespeed, so cut that mention. You can either replace it with Mach Punch or something or just say Sucker Punch.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
Cut the Gluttony mention, as it's irrelevant.
When you mention Substitute, also note that the majority of the time, if Linoone is out, the opponent WILL attack it, so you can't even try to force the opponent out to get up a free Substitute.

Other than that, this looks really good. Please make these changes!

QC Approved 1/3

Just a few set I thought about using with this

name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Shadow Claw
move 2: Return / Extremespeed
move 3: Dig
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
ability: Quick Feet / Gluttony
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd

name: Cute Smuggler
move 1: Covet
move 3: Shadow Claw
item: Normal Gem
evs: 252 Atk /252 Spd

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Choice Band set is already in OO, which frankly is where it belongs. Linoone has a base 70 Attack, so while it might be 'cool' to have a boosted ExtremeSpeed right off the bat, it seriously lacks power and needs a lot of support to be able to clean later in the game (every opponent's Pokemon must be severly weakened) and even then there is other Pokemon who already does that job way better like Kangaskhan. I would also use Switcheroo over Dig to cripple a wall since Dig will, at the end of the day, make you set up fodder to all those dangerous Flying-types in the tier.

I won't talk too much about your Covet set because I honestly think it is irrevelant. All it does is stealing an item which frankly is just not worth the moveslot for Linoone.

Dual screens lowercase plz best freds forever
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple
[Overview]

<p>Linoone is a fairly predictable Pokemon to use, as the Belly Drum and ExtremeSpeed combo remains one of pretty much the only reasons to use it. However, with Belly Drum and ExtremeSpeed while this does make Linoone somewhat risky to use, Linoone becomes a high risk, high reward Pokemon that it is still extremely hard to stop once it has set up. Even with Linoone's measly base 70 Attack, ExtremeSpeed OHKOes nearly every Pokemon in NU that does not resist it after a Belly Drum quadruples its Attack stat. Unfortunately, Belly Drum is very hard to pull off because of Linoone's lackluster defenses, and there are many Rock-, Steel-, and Ghost-types that can stop a Linoone sweep in its tracks even after it has set up. As such, Linoone requires much team support to pull off a sweep, whether it is trapping, Dual Screen dual screens support, or the use of a slow Volt Switch or U-turn.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once the opponent's team is clear of imminent threats, Linoone is able to plow through the rest of a team it after a Belly Drum with a STAB boosted ExtremeSpeed. At +2 priority, ExtremeSpeed allows Linoone to avoid being revenge killed by conventional methods such as Mach Punch and Sucker Punch. Shadow Claw and Seed Bomb provide Linoone the extra coverage it needs to damage Pokemon that would otherwise be able to tank or wall hits from it. Shadow Claw in particular allows Linoone to OHKO common Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Haunter, although both of them are able to outspeed Linoone with Speed investment. Seed Bomb is useful for Pokemon such as Alomomola, Carracosta, Piloswine, Seismitoad, and Golurk that would otherwise be able to survive an ExtremeSpeed. Return is also an option to consider over Shadow Claw if one wishes to damage Psychic-types such as Musharna and Exeggutor a bit harder more, (remove comma) or if one prefers to have a stronger STAB move to use against slower Pokemon, although but it makes Linoone even more susceptible to Ghost-types. Silk Scarf gives Linoone an extra boost in power that makes ExtremeSpeed even more devastating after Belly Drum, and can also be used in tandem with Return over Shadow Claw. Otherwise, Sitrus Berry is the preferred option as it allows Linoone more freedom in setting up Belly Drum, and can save Linoone when the extra health is necessary to prevent a revenge kill.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Silk Scarf gives Linoone an extra boost in power that makes ExtremeSpeed even more devastating after Belly Drum and can also be used in tandem with Return over Shadow Claw. Otherwise, Sitrus Berry is the preferred option as it allows Linoone more freedom in setting up Belly Drum and can save Linoone when the extra health is necessary to prevent a revenge kill.</p>

<p>With ExtremeSpeed being Linoone's main form of offense, the following given EV spread allows Linoone to focus on its focuses on Linoone's bulk and power to ensure the best opportunity to set up and sweep after Belly Drum. Even without speed Speed investment, Linoone is still able to outspeed utility Misdreavus and OHKO with Shadow Claw. However, if one wishes to outspeed Haunter and other base 95 Pokemon, then an alternative EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe with a Jolly nature can be used (add comma) although this is noticeably less bulky and powerful. While noticeably less bulky and powerful, the EV spread allows Linoone to outspeed any max Speed base 95 Pokemon. Substitute can be considered over Shadow Claw or and Return if one wishes to ease prediction when setting up Belly Drum, although but the lost coverage will hamper hampers Linoone's ability to run through teams freely. Additionally, Substitute is a bit difficult to set up as opponents will usually attack in desperation rather than switch when dealing with Linoone.</p>

<p>Setting up Belly Drum is difficult; as such, it is essential that Linoone has teammates focused around giving Linoone it opportunities to set up with little consequence. Dual Screen screens users such as Gardevoir partner well with Linoone as the increased defenses allow for Linoone to avoid being KOed while setting up Belly Drum. Additionally, Gardevoir in particular can use Memento in tandem with Dual Screens dual screens, which would to weaken enemy attacks even further, all while giving Linoone a free switch-in opportunity. Eelektross and Ampharos can utilize a slow Volt Switch in order to give Linoone a free switch in switch-in opportunity as well. Pokemon that are able to absorb Toxic Spikes such as Garbodor and Skuntank are important to have in order to ensure that Linoone cannot be stalled out. Garbodor can also provide Spikes support to Linoone while Skuntank can trap Ghost-type Pokemon with Pursuit, which are important to eliminate when using Linoone. Lastly, Pokemon that can eliminate Rock- and Steel-types such as Golurk, Sawk, Primeape, and Seismitoad are useful in clearing the way for a Linoone sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite Linoone's rather large movepool, only a small portion of it is usable, let alone viable. Choice Band Linoone has instant power with STAB ExtremeSpeed and doesn't need to go through the hassle of setting up, although but it is still admittedly weak as a base 70 Attack Pokemon. Trick or Switcheroo can be used alongside Choice Band in order to cripple defensive Pokemon as well. Gluttony and Salac Berry can be used over Pickup in cases for specific situations where Linoone needs to outspeed Pokemon without using ExtremeSpeed, such as against Choice Scarf Haunter. Rock Smash can be used as an attack on the Belly Drum set to deal more damage to Bastiodon, but it fails to OHKO it because it is inherently weak. Dig can also be used to hit Steel-types such as Metang and Klang harder, although but the opponent can simply switch out and play around Dig accordingly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Linoone lacks many checks and counters once Belly Drum is set up, defensive Steel-types remain the best responses to Linoone can still generally handle it. Metang can withstand all of Linoone's attacks and respond with a Meteor Mash, while and Bastiodon is able to Roar Linoone away while also being able to tank a +4 Attack +6 Seed Bomb. Probopass can manage to last a hit as well, (remove comma) and can retaliate by either paralyzing it Linoone or attacking with Power Gem.</p>

<p>Pokemon with the Sturdy ability such as Golem, Gigalith, or and Carracosta can survive any hit and pick off Linoone in return, although but they must be able to switch in at 100% health in order to do so. Ghost-types will be able to can beat Linoone if it does not carry Shadow Claw, and Haunter in particular can outspeed the standard Linoone set. Choice Scarf Haunter can outspeed Linoone even if it opts to run the a faster EV Spread, spread and acts as a solid check to Linoone. Lastly, bulky physical walls such as Tangela or and Regirock (add comma) which can retaliate with Giga Drain and Drain Punch respectively to pick off Linoone while restoring health in the process, can withstand Linoone's attacks if they are healthy enough, and can retaliate with Giga Drain and Drain Punch respectively to pick off Linoone while restoring health in the process. </p> (remove space between period and </p>; there are other ways to rephrase this last sentence that work too if this seems a little awkward, but right now it kind of reads like all bulky physical walls can retaliate with Giga Drain or Drain Punch)

GP: 1/2

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
Implemented. Reworded the last sentence by taking out the mention of bulky physical walls, as those two are essentially the ones that are the most common anyway

EDIT: Ready to upload

Last edited:
gp check
Additions
Removals
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Linoone is a fairly predictable Pokemon, as the Belly Drum and ExtremeSpeed combo remains pretty much the only reason to use it. However, while this does make Linoone somewhat risky to use, it is still extremely hard to stop once it has set up. Even with Linoone's measly base 70 Attack, ExtremeSpeed OHKOes nearly every Pokemon in NU that does not resist it after a Belly Drum. Unfortunately, Belly Drum is very hard to pull off because of Linoone's lackluster defenses, and there are many Rock-, Steel-, and Ghost-types that can stop a Linoone sweep in its tracks even after it has set up. As such, Linoone requires much team support to pull off a sweep, whether it is trapping, dual screens support, or the use of a slow Volt Switch or U-turn.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Once the opponent's team is clear of imminent threats, Linoone is able to plow through it after a Belly Drum with a STAB-(hyphen)boosted ExtremeSpeed. At +2 priority, ExtremeSpeed allows Linoone to avoid being revenge killed by conventional methods such as Mach Punch and Sucker Punch. Shadow Claw and Seed Bomb provide Linoone the extra coverage it needs to damage Pokemon that would otherwise be able to tank or wall hits from it. Shadow Claw in particular allows Linoone to OHKO common Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Haunter, although both of them are able to outspeed Linoone with Speed investment. Seed Bomb is useful for Pokemon such as Alomomola, Carracosta, Piloswine, Seismitoad, and Golurk that would otherwise be able to survive an ExtremeSpeed. Return is also an option to consider over Shadow Claw if one wishes to damage Psychic-types such as Musharna and Exeggutor a bit more or if one prefers to have a stronger STAB move to use against slower Pokemon, but it makes Linoone even more susceptible to Ghost-types. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Silk Scarf gives Linoone an extra boost in power that makes ExtremeSpeed even more devastating after Belly Drum, and can also be used in tandem with Return over Shadow Claw. Otherwise, Sitrus Berry is the preferred option as it allows Linoone more freedom in setting up Belly Drum,(RC) and can save Linoone when the extra health is necessary to prevent a revenge kill.</p>

<p>With ExtremeSpeed being Linoone's main form of offense, the given EV spread focuses on Linoone's bulk and power to ensure the best opportunity to set up and sweep after a Belly Drum. Even without Speed investment, Linoone is still able to outspeed utility Misdreavus and OHKO with Shadow Claw. However, if one wishes to outspeed Haunter and other base 95 Speed Pokemon, then an alternative EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe with a Jolly nature can be used, although this is noticeably less bulky and powerful. Substitute can be considered over Shadow Claw and Return if one wishes to ease prediction when setting up Belly Drum, but the lost coverage hampers Linoone's ability to run through teams freely. Additionally, Substitute is a bit difficult to set up as opponents will usually attack in desperation rather than switch when dealing with Linoone.</p>

<p>Setting up Belly Drum is difficult; as such, it is essential that Linoone has teammates focused around giving it opportunities to set up with little consequence. Dual screens users such as Gardevoir partner well with Linoone as the increased defenses allow for Linoone to avoid being KOed while setting up Belly Drum. Additionally, Gardevoir in particular can use Memento in tandem with dual screens to weaken enemy attacks even further, all while giving Linoone a free switch-in opportunity. Eelektross and Ampharos can utilize a slow Volt Switch in order to give Linoone a free switch-in opportunity as well. Pokemon that are able to absorb Toxic Spikes such as Garbodor and Skuntank are important to have in order to ensure that Linoone cannot be stalled out. Garbodor can also provide Spikes support while Skuntank can trap Ghost-type Pokemon with Pursuit, which are important to eliminate when using Linoone. Lastly, Pokemon that can eliminate Rock- and Steel-types such as Golurk, Sawk, Primeape, and Seismitoad are useful in clearing the way for a Linoone sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Despite Linoone's rather large movepool, only a small portion of it is usable, let alone viable. Choice Band Linoone has instant power with STAB ExtremeSpeed and doesn't need to go through the hassle of setting up, but it is still admittedly weak as a base 70 Attack Pokemon. Trick or Switcheroo can be used alongside Choice Band in order to cripple defensive Pokemon as well. Gluttony and Salac Berry can be used over Pickup for specific situations where Linoone needs to outspeed Pokemon without using ExtremeSpeed, such as against Choice Scarf Haunter. Rock Smash can be used on the Belly Drum set to deal more damage to Bastiodon, but it fails to OHKO it because it Rock Smash is inherently weak. Dig can also be used to hit Steel-types such as Metang and Klang harder, but the opponent can simply switch out and play around Dig accordingly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Linoone lacks many checks and counters once Belly Drum is set up, defensive Steel-types can still generally handle it. Metang can withstand all of Linoone's attacks and respond with a Meteor Mash, while Bastiodon is able to Roar Linoone away while also being able to tank a +6 Seed Bomb. Probopass can manage to last a hit as well and can retaliate by either paralyzing it or attacking with Power Gem.</p>

<p>Pokemon with the Sturdy ability such as Golem, Gigalith, and Carracosta can survive any hit and pick off Linoone in return, but they must be able to switch in at 100% health in order to do so. Ghost-types can beat Linoone if it does not carry Shadow Claw, and Haunter in particular can outspeed the standard Linoone set. Choice Scarf Haunter can outspeed Linoone even if it opts to run a faster spread and acts as a solid check. Lastly, Tangela and Regirock can both withstand Linoone's attacks if they are healthy enough, and can retaliate with Giga Drain and Drain Punch respectively while restoring health in the process. </p>

gp 2/2 nice job

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)