1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

List of leaked/rumoured VGC Dates and Locations

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Firestorm, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

That Texas date makes it tempting to try to fill in the blanks... at May 28th there's five weekends between it and Nationals, assuming they stick to that Nats date. Looking at their route from last year(http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/events.php) they took a week off before Nationals and only had two stops after Dallas (Newark, Atlanta) which leaves two weekends open if they take the same route as last year -- much whined for Midwest regional maybe ??

Though I do wonder if they won't mix shit up a bit with their path if that date is right -- if they don't cut regionals before Dallas(and it's hard to imagine them dropping SF or Seattle) there'd be 3 events before it even if they added nothing new, which backs us up to May 7th -- sure not a lot of time to prepare.
  2. Sniffles

Sniffles

Yes, but it looks like the event on where we assumed VGC would be last for 3 days. So, it could (sadly) be something else.
  3. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

Seriously, I'll be very surprised if there's not one in Florida this year. They've NEVER held a VGC qualifier here in Florida, and TPCi knows very well that Florida is one of the largest and most competitive player bases for the TCG (we had 240 players in our TCG State Championships held earlier this month, and 156 of those were in the Masters division), and many TCG players also play the video games.
  4. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well, California and Washington/Oregon have very strong TCG player bases too, but they aren't a very central location. The states the qualifiers are in are normally pretty central within their areas; I don't really expect Florida to have one considering it's not a very central state.
  5. DoubleJG

DoubleJG

Glad to hear that the finals will be in San Diego this year. Looks like I will get to pay a visit just like I did in '09.

I sure hope that CA gets a qualifier somewhere. Heck, I'd make the drive to San Fran if I had to.
  6. Werecario

Werecario

Pay a visit? Thats not a winning attitude. Say "Heck, I can actually go when I qualify" or something like that. Be Positive!

But yeah, I totally agree. I live in Texas so San Diego is still far but much more doable than Hawaii.
  7. FMasamune

FMasamune

Yeah same here I'm willing to make the 12 hour drive to San Francisco again, because otherwise I'm not going to be able to attend at all.
  8. Geobro

Geobro

Since Japan won't be competing, could it be possible that there will be more open spots in the US qualifiers?
  9. SupremeDirt

SupremeDirt

I wish they'd just announce them.

I need to buy my bus tickets as early as possible so the cost doesn't rape me.
  10. Shinryu

Shinryu

Now now, just because Japan canceled their qualifiers won't mean that there won't be anyone at all from Japan...I would be highly surprised if they don't just move up their tournament schedule or have something in place later on to get reps out, it's still 4 months till Worlds after all.
  11. Geobro

Geobro

Maybe. I guess it all depends on when they can get the damage fixed from the Sendai earthquake and tsunami.
  12. Shinryu

Shinryu

Well, let's put it this way...not all of Japan was affected or hit as hard; there's tons of other places they can hold events should they want to. Whether it would be appropriate or not or if they aren't more pressing matters at the moment is up for another debate, but if they wanted to, they can probably hold events somewhere else.
  13. GDK

GDK

It is more a problem of energy saving.
    THe tournament was cancelled on march 22, the earthquake happened march 11 so it's not beacause their is a damaged area that it's cancelled. IT's because the main power plants are out right now, and japanese people should save energy.

They can also do only the a big national championship in July in Tokyo, but the regionals are out, it is too late to postpone them, and such a tournament only have a small chance of happening.
  14. Pokérob

Pokérob

If they host vgc11 I will kiss your shoe. Seriously slim chance, transport to Birmingham and London is the best in the UK bar none. The best bit about Manchester is Football and damn don't I love it.
  15. Rukario

Rukario

Now now, that's just stupid. Japan has already announced NO VGC. I highly doubt that after such a stern announcement on them cancelling the VGCs for this year, they will move up the date or have another sort of tournament. The US and Europe will just have more slots for invites to Worlds. That's a good thing.
  16. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

There's no guarantee that the US and Europe will get more spots. Running off of last year, we both got 16 (though a lot of the Europeans couldn't afford to go, or just couldn't make it). Then, another 8 players (most likely American) get in through the Last Chance Qualifier, giving us 40 overall spots. However, Korea are confirmed to be participating, so that makes at least another 4, as well as last year's Champion - so 45. If Japan were participating, they'd probably still get their usual 8 players (so that'd be 53, unless more spots were allocated elsewhere).

There's always the potential they could add more to America and Europe, but I doubt it for now (unless they add a stop in Italy or the Netherlands this time). Or if they decide that Australia or Canada should get a tournament.

Last year, there were 49 invites sent out to Worlds - so there's no point in trying to come up with an even number. If they do choose to make up the 8 invites missed out on, then I'd bet it'll be the Last Chance Qualifier that has 16 spots instead of 8 this time.
  17. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Just curious, where is it confirmed Korea's participating o_o

(I love Koreans though :D)
  18. Human

Human

Yeah, at least a third of my school are Koreans, a lot of the Koreans in my school are pretty awesome, I don't think they'll bring as much as the Japanese did to this metagame though.
  19. Havak

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

20. Metang with

Metang with

21. Havak

It's not a false assumption, though. As far as I'm aware, that link states that Korea will have a tournament (unless translations are incorrect).

It was harsh on Italian players, hopefully they'll get a tournament.
  22. mudkipmaster

mudkipmaster

As an update for the ATL regional (the one by me).... http://www.gwinnettcenter.com/Event-Calendar.34.0.html?&tx_calendar_pi1

Assuming it's in June like always, the Gwinnett Center seems to be avoiding Sunday, June 5th. If it's not on that day, it's not in the ATL, since there are no other weekends cleared until the 18th. I am hoping it's that June 5th, since I am not looking for a long drive...
  23. jmon

jmon

i dont think it would be on a sunday, as far as i know all the regionals are on a saturday
  24. Werecario

Werecario

Saturday June 18 has nothing on that day
  25. mudkipmaster

mudkipmaster

That doesn't leave much time before Nats. :|
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)